• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Introduction
  • Slan

Mr. Fixit
    28 Badges
    Oct 30, 2009
    • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
    • Sword of the Stars
    • Sengoku
    • Semper Fi
    • Rome Gold
    • Victoria: Revolutions
    • Penumbra - Black Plague
    • Majesty 2 Collection
    • Majesty 2
    • Magicka
    • King Arthur II
    • Iron Cross
    • Heir to the Throne
    • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
    • Hearts of Iron III
    • For the Motherland
    • Divine Wind
    • Europa Universalis III Complete
    • Deus Vult
    • Darkest Hour
    • Crusader Kings II
    • Arsenal of Democracy
    • Victoria 2
    • 500k Club
    • Mount & Blade: Warband
    • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    ten_reasons.png

The following is the chronicle of my struggle with Europa Univeralis III. I use all the stuff up to the latest expansion, Divine Wind, and I don't use the beta patch. I'm not interested in how the game should be played and what mistakes I make. I'm also not interested in other people's opinion about the game, as clearly mine is superior, so why should I bother? You may still leave comments about how awesome I am, and you can adore me in general. Also feel free to discuss the above among yourselves.

Table of contents:
    Reason I - This game is too complex
    Reason II - This game looks lame
    1400-1440
    Reason III - This game is too hard
    1440-1480

Reason IV - This game is too ahistorical
    1480-1550

Reason V - This game is too slow
    1550-1640

Reason VI - I can't keep up with the speed!
    1640-1650

Reason VII - This game is not sandbox enough
    1650-1700

Reason VIII - This game is too easy
    1700-1750

Reason IX - There's too much graphics, too little content
    1750-1785

Reason X - This game is lacking in debth
    1785-1820

Last edited:
    • 2Haha
    Reactions:
    Issue #1
  • Reason I
    This game is too complex.
    Issue One - Part One

Alright, so let's start up the game. On the load screen, I get important hints about how this game works. Like "In order to explore, you will need the 'Conquest of the New World' National Idea". What the heck is a National Idea? I have many ideas, but what makes them National? Well, maybe if I was a nation... Another advice was that having a high revolt risk hurts my economy. You don't say...

Sooooo. I click on Single Player, because I want to play alone, because who would play this with me, right? Now, which nation should I choose? Which nation has ideas? :D The screen starts at France, but I don't like France. It is so... French. But there's a nice one in the middle, called Berry. It has a purpleish colour to it, so I guess it must be purpleberry. Alright, let's play as that nation! I don't care about the date, so I'll just let it be what it starts out with: 1399 AD.

select_nation.png

So many choices...

Let's check options now! I have noooo idea what these are, so I'll just let them stay the way they start with. 'Spread of land provinces'? Please. Everyone knows that land provinces don't spread, they are just there. Well, alright, sea provinces do spread during the wet season or whatever it is called in Asia, but we don't have those here in Europe! What nonsense... While loading the game, I got another hint: Rousolline (or whatever) will be a French province before the end of the game. What stupid advice is this?

im_france.png

Let's play! Wait, what?...

So, let's take a look around and see what's what. 25.000 dudes in the upper left corner next to my blueberry shield covered in flowers, a pile of 141 gold coins, a royal hammer, a royal chair, a royal pair of peasant weaponry and a crownless head with a crown on royal curtains, some cut-off heads over that. And it's Friday. I love Friday, because it marks the end of the week! Except that I have a rather stupid class on Friday, but whatever.

Now, wait a minute. There's something wrong here. Oh, no! I'm France!... Ah, whatever. Let's push some buttons now, shall we? But which one to start with? There are soooo many of them! I think I will be systematic here, starting from the top left and going to the bottom right. There was that blueberry shield those flowers, let's click that! Oh, no! Even more buttons! A crown, a bag of gold, a helmet pierced through with a repier, some cross, a book with a hammer (that must be Mao's Red Book!), another cut off head (there are quite a lot of these I'd say), some pictures and then a poisoned scroll. I'm so confused... And these are just buttons, but there are tons of information on this screen, too! It says I'm a Feudal Monarchy, which is nice I guess. I'm also a Cosmopolitaine. That must be a French word by the smell of it. And I'm called Charles VI de Valois. And there's a big golden 1 in the middle of the screen. What on Earth might that be? Hovering the mouse over that revealed a truckload of other stuff I don't care about. I might try not to do that again, otherwise my lovely little brain might explode... Anyway, it is my Prestige. I have no idea if it is good or not though. Anyway, the number below that tells me that I'm number 19 among nations. And I have an honourable reputation. I thought France had a reputation for bad taste in food, but you learn something new everyday I guess.

There's a lot of text there too, concerning other nations I don't care about. Like Casus Belli. Well, yeah, I'm kinda hungry, now that you mention it. The text says that I can eat England, Alencon, Armagnac, Auvergne, Bourbonnais, Burgundy, Foix, Orleans, Provence and Berry. The only thing that I would eat from all these is Berry. But it also tells me that Berry is my vassal, so I don't think I should eat them. I'm guaranteeing some backwater places like Scotland and Cyprus, and I have a Sphere of Influence. I remember that one, it is a Rare Artifact from Diablo II, giving you tons of Intellect! It's a shame I'm not a mage in this game... I have some natural rivals and the Golden Horde is threatening me. Well, I'd say a horde of gold is quite threatening to my economy, yes! And there's this mission to "Recover Aquitaine". If I finish that mission, will I get a new map?

There's also a long list of other nations, with our relations. We have a lot of relations with my vassals of course, and we lack relations heavily with the muslims across the Mediterranean. Then there are two shiny buttons here: "Modifiers" and "Create Vassal". I click on Modifiers to check what's what. It gives my a blank page. Thanks for nothing, game! The other gives a long list of vassals I could create, but all of them would take provinces from me! I don't want that! Those are mine! Alright, let's move on.

The crown icon tells me that I have no legal heir. How sad. I have a missionary and a guy with a telescope though, but I obviously don't want either of them to inherit my throne! So I will have to create some heirs! Where's Mrs. Charles VI de Valois? Ah, there must be a "Create Vassal" button somewhere! The bag of gold gives me an account sheet. How classy. Alright, I might not understand a lot about this game, but I certainly know that you can't mint money, because it will ruin your economy. So I won't spend money on making money. Unfortunatelly that means I will lose money every month. But I'm supposed to get taxes at the end of the year, right? I've read the manual! :D I'll spend everything on Stability, because I'm France. I've read history, I probably will need Stability more than anything else... And it is the cheapest of them all, anyway.

The pierced helmet icon is absolutely unimportant right now, I can see that at a glance. It has a table and some sliders which probably do nothing interesting. The Cross icon says I tolerate True Chatolics but I can't stand Orthodox Heretics and a lot of different Heathens. Alright, moving on. Mao's Red Book. There are twelve TV-screens here, a "Feudal Monarchy" button (this must be my special ability!) and some eight sliders at the bottom. I have no idea what they do, so I'll just click an arrow at random! The die rolls, and it says I'll change Mercantilism <-> Free Trade. I read that the more extreme a slider position is, the better the effect is, and it was this way in Hearts of Iron 2, so it must be true here, too! So one step towards Mercantilism it is!

merchants_suffer.png

The merchants don't like my policies, so they must suffer!

The cut-off head is not relevant to my interest. Moving on. The pictures provide me with the fact that I have 20% Cultural Tradition. This allows me to hire one of the thirty-six guys on this page. Or more precisely one of the fifteen that are actually available. I can has three advisorses, so I'll choose one from here. I'll roll six dice, sum them up, subtract three and choose the dude that comes up as the result. I know math! :p The result is (5+2+1)-3 = 5, that would be a... Treasurer! He will cost me all my 20% Cultural Tradition, but I don't have room for anyone else anyway, so no worries. He will invest in my Trade tech.

Now, it didn't actually did what I thought it will. I got the Treasurer, but he was only added to a list, not to my court... And a level 1 Treasurer, too... But he only costed my 4% from my 20%, so it was only 20% of the 20% (I still know math :p)! Back to the crown icon! Oh, man... I had like twenty dudes to choose from already... I'll choose the one from the top of the list: Joseph de Pellefort, who is a level 6 Ambassador, giving me +3 Diplomatic Skill. On a scale of ten, it is pretty good, is it not? You are hired! By the way, my king seems to be a genious anyway, with all three of his skills being 8! Back to the pictures! There are some additional buttons to click on under the thirty-six guys, called Cultural Decisions. Well, I'm a Frenchman now, so I can only take Cultural Decisions, no? Commission Painting, Commission Tapestry, hold some Tournament or Endorse Culture. Only the first two are actually available though. A Painting is cheaper than a Tapestry, but my girlfriend will love the Tapestry, so I'll go with that! Off with the head of that Magistrate! The last page is irrelevant again, becuase there's nothing I can click on. (I could cancel a mission but that would surely kick me back to the Main Menu! This is the first mission after all!) But wait! This screen gives me the mission briefing! I need to hold Labourd and Gascogne. Where are these, anyway?

aquitaine.png

That must be Aquitaine. Nice to make your aquitaince!

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
    Issue One - Part Two

Alright, so I'm France. Now that I got myself through the initial shock, I should try to figure out what to do. First of all, I guess I should take care of those curtains below the cut-off heads. The first say "Possible Revolts", in Toulouse and Dauphiné with 9% of getting Nationalists and Languedoc with 7.8% of getting Patriots. Clicking the curtain activated another map mode, showing these provinces in different shades of red. Well, that is sort of useful... They are all in Southern France, and it looks like I don't have cores on these provinces... But they are in France, for crying out loud! Also, clicking on one of the provinces brought up a HUGE new interface with lots of buildings available (or almost available)... Toulouse has five buildings and a University already. Nice.

Now with that new mapmode active, it turns out that my country is actually cut in half! I have six provinces in Northern France and another six in Southern France. I don't like that! Let's take a look at these map modes, then! Terrain. Been there, done it. Political. This gives a rainbow map, I don't like it! Big blobs of different colours, and only some of it is my blueberry-blue! Religious. This turns the whole of Europe into a desert. Moving on. Imperial. Didn't know that Darth Vader was in this game... Trade. Almost as bad as the Political map mode, but with even uglier colours, and a lot of stripes. Diplomatic. Now, that's more like it! Most of what should be mine is in green, although this mode also has some ugly stripes. Region. Big blobs with stripes everywhere. Culture. This is the best so far. French culture is yellow. Who would have guessed :D Sphere of Influence. This artifact not only gives tons to Intellect, but also shows much of France in the same colour, with no stripes either! Neat! Most of Europe is in a shade of blueish, saying that those are in range of France's Sphere of Influence. Man is this a cool artifact! It's range extends as far as Bohemia! It also says I need 6 Prestige to extend the Sphere of Influence. Where can I buy more Prestige? Or is that looted only?... Alright, moving on. Revolt. I saw this one, next. Colonial. Now that is the most bizarre map mode of them all. It sorta looks like the radar map in "Hunt for the Red October" and other submarine-movies. Most of the map is alarmingly red, and the North Sea and parts of the Atlantic is green. I guess that means that there are no German Subs operating there. Good! By the way, most of the map is hidden under some kind of paper clips. So I will have to get an idea before I could tear that paper off?

posion_cloud_over_england.png

No wonder I'm afraid of England! They have the plague!

Over the map modes, there are five buttons called different kinds of messages. I didn't even start the game yet though, so I don't have any of those. But wait! There's more! There's zoom (really?...), Menu, Goto Capital (which brings me to Ile-de-France where I have 1000 men), Goto National Focus (Which does nothing! I knew this game was full of bugs!), Ledger (which has nothing to do with the late Joker-actor), History (which tells me that I'm Charles VI the idle), Triggered Modifiers (which is a looooong list of things that don't effect France right now), Papacy (which is supposed to be the bribing ground for all Chatolics), Holy Roman Empire (which shows me a lot of stuff I can't do! What is this, a demo?!) and a button to turn on/off the outliner, which can show me stuff I wouldn't remember otherwise. Nice move, including a list of stuff I couldn't care to remember in the first place!

Now, the only thing left from the interface is the cut-off heads. They are lovely, aren't they? From left to right, I have 3 Merchants (whom I shall send to a Center of Trade in my own land if I can), 1 Colonist (whom I will leave alone), 5 Diplomats (who will certainly do something sometime...), 0 Missionaries (and I get only 0.05 of them a year!), 0 Spies (getting 0.4 a year) and 0 Magistrates (getting 1.2 a year). So, two Merchants are sent to Ile-de-France.

Oh, I almost forgot! The curtains! I can't really do anything about those revolting ones, they are nationalists and will only go away when I recieve a core on the provinces. Which will only happen 50 years from now! Aww... The other curtain tells me that about 30 countries lack heirs with a decent claim. That must be because the game just started and nobody has an heir at all. So let's just ignore that for now. I don't think I could do anything about Denmark's throne for example at the moment. By checking around a bit, I realize that the most potential enemy of ours, England, has the mission to reconquer Normandy. That means we will probably fight sometime in the near future! Which is not really good for me I guess. I will have to build up some forces in the North ASAP! In the South, I have 9000 men, half of which have horses, too. I can use these to reconquer Aquitaine, should the English try anything silly! So the Armée des Flanders (Flanders is in Belgium, is it not?!) will go to Périgord now, and I start recruiting two regiments of Late Medieval Infantry in both Normandie and Caux.

With that said and done, I still don't really feel safe. I'm preparing for a potential conflict with England, but it is hardly enough for long-term survival. I have potential enemies in the continent as well, for example Burgundy. Don't be fooled by their silly name or even sillier shield! They are number 20 on the ranking, so only one place behind me! (England is number 5 by the way!) So I will offer an alliance to them! That's one less Diplomat to spend this year. (I get six Diplomats a year, so one every two months.) I would also like to expand my influence over all of modern-day France, so I send out an alliance offer to Brittany as well. Two Diplomats spent, three more to go. But I don't really want to spend these because I have no idea what I would spend them on. Maybe some Royal Marriages? That's a good idea! Let's marry into the royal families of Orleans and Auvergne, Foix and Bourbonnais! Let's also save the game. Time to unpause!

diplomacy.png

Most of our offers were accepted.

I get some messages right away. Both Brittany and Burgundy accepted my offer of a Military Alliance. Now those pesky Englishmen will have their fight cut out for them, should they risk an ivasion! Also, Foix and Bourbonnais agreed to my marriege proposals. The fools in Auvergne declined, but that's their loss if you ask me. I also have a lot of offers to check. I'm quite popular :) I have to pause the game everytime something interesting happens though, because I don't want to miss anything. Alright. What's a Trade League Compact? And why should I care? Also, why do different nations brag about sending insults and gifts to eachother? It's their own business. Let's just turn these icons off. I couldn't care less.

Now there's something more interesting: England started a war against Leinster with no Casus Belli at all. Leinster is in Ireland, in case you didn't know. Four other wars also started right away: Byzantium vs. Candar (I would bet on Candar in that one), Burgundy vs. Bar (clear Burgundian victory, since they are my ally), Castille vs. Granada (Castille is almost surely a winner, unless Granada turns out to have all the Muslims as allies) and Aragon vs. Navarra (a one-province micro-state against half of Spain? Don't think so.)

Oh, yeah, Achievements. I already had two of these: "Until Death do us apart" for securing a Royal Marriage and "Pure Capitalism" for getting five Merchants into a single Center of Trade. (Which was in Ile-de-France of course.) These don't really do anything, only generate me some virtual points for some virtual board so I can brag about how awesome I am. But I don't need these 'Achievements' for that, thank you very much!

Anyway, Armée de Flanders decided to march right through Rouergue in Armagnac, which was a stupid idea becuase they suffered Attrition there. Thankfully I don't have to bother with reinforcing them, that is done automatically in this game. We also gained an "Alliance" Casus Belli against Bar, because Burgundy is fighting them. But I don't have any Diplomats right now, so I couldn't do anything with it, even if I wanted to. Naples, on the other hand did have a Diplomat, and sent him to Epirus with a Declaration of War. So did the Teutonic Order with Pskov, although they had no actual reason to, other than to push a little neighbour around. And the Pope can't sit on his Holy Bottom either: he declared that Urbino is obstructing the Holy Highway of Heavenly Goodness, and so it has to go.

Milan offered an Alliance to me. I decided to be a smart guy and ask around before accepting that offer. Turns out that Milan is a relatively peaceful little country with enemies like Switzerland, so I decided to accept. What could go wrong? :rolleyes:

At the end of November, Burgundy decided that it would be nice to bring me along the ride against Bar, eventhough they already captured the only province they had, so I don't see the point. It would also give me -1 Stability because I'm a good friend of Bar. On the other hand, declining the request would break my alliance with Burgundy. Where's the "You are stupid and don't need my help against my friends in the first place you moron!" button?! Anyway, I will just ignore that request. Maybe it will go away on its own if I look the other way! We'll see next time!

Last edited:
    Issue #2
  • Reason II
    This game looks lame.
    Issue Two

"As Shogun, your power relies on high influence." I'm not a Shogun, I'm the King of stinking France! These 'hints' again, they make me cry. And how original is that? Telling me hints while loading the game. I didn't see that one before. But at least it distracts me from the ugly pictures themselves. I mean who made these things? Whoever it was, he probably never heard the word "sharp".

Taking a closer look at the Sea, we can observe that the Divine Wind in the title is very strong and it is blowing Eastwards, because every bit of water is constantly flowing to the East. And there are clouds everywhere, also going Eastwards. Including those poisoneus clouds over England.

England. It's time to start having fun already, is it not? So, the map is ugly, partly because France has all these ugly colours, while it all should be in the same shade of blue. Our first order of business is to remove that red blob from Aquitaine. Let's declare war on England!

dow_england.png

Since I have a good reason to go to war against England (they make my map ugly), I suffer no Stability drops. Good!

I assign my only leader, Jean II Le Meingre to lead Armée des Flandres, and send them over to takce Gascogne. The tooltip says that the supply Limit there is 14, and I only have 9000 men, so that should be a nice peaceful siege. I have plenty of time, so I won't make an assault either. I have a suspicion that the English have more ships than I do, so I won't leave port for the time being. I have four Carracks and two Cogs by the way.

englands_allies.png

This might not have been the best idea...

Turns out those pesky English had some allies to call upon. Like Brittany, who happened to be my ally as well! The bastards decided to side with England for whatever reason... The other was Portugal, which is less of a concern right now. I think I should call Burgundy in to help me. But how?! I don't have any Diplomats! Portugal also imposed an Embargo on us. Oh, no.

english_fleet.png

Well, yes, I guess they do have more ships than I do...

So, my armies in the North were enough to keep Brittany at bay, and two Regiments from the armies in the South were enough to keep Aquitaine under siege, so I moved seven Regiments (four of them Cavalry) into Brittany proper. I will teach those bastards!

But back to my point: the game looks pretty lame. If you observe the next screenshot, which shows how a battle looks like, you will surely agree with me. Where are my armies? That's it? Two rows on top of eachother? How am I supposed to order my units with that?

battle_screen.png

So THIS is the battle screen. No kidding. And that guy in the background is raking.

Anyway, I quickly won the battle, sending the Brittanians running for their money. This war is giving me lots of Prestige! Nice! In the meantime, the stupid English started to land in Caux! That's not good! I don't have enough troops to defend there now! Alright, I'll let them suffer from Attrition, then kick their butt! In the meantime, it's about time to expand our Influence, over Savoy.

Kicking English butt worked as planned, and the remnants of their army retreated toward Caux, where they were completely wiped out. Unfortunatelly, a bit later they managed to sneak some 4000 troops into Gascogne, and defeated the small sieging forces I had there. Which is quite a shame, since that siege was over 80% already. Then when I moved my main army to deal with them, they landed another army in Caux! Where do they get the money for all these armies?! With my capital in danger again, it suddenly became much more urgent to win this war against the English. By the way, why is it that Britanny won't accept a white peace when I have 23% score?!

I was starting to run out of money when different countries started to hire my people. Not that bad of a deal for me actually, since I need the money more than those guys. But in December of 1400, Burgundy finally managed to annex Bar, and I could call them into my little war. They were nice enough to accept and now will help me kick the English bastards out of France proper!

By February, 1401, my Stability increased to +3! Nice! I can start to do some research now! Let's see! I will invest into Government, because I am the State and all that crap. And it will give me a new idea! :D By now, Brittany offered a White Peace (even though they would not accept my White Peace offer!), but I'm not interested any longer. I will crush them with my Burgundian allies! And in July, I also recieved an Heir to the Throne. Yay. And this Louis kid is not that bad, either! He has 8 Administration, 5 Diplomacy and 6 Military! Nothing compared to his father, but not that bad.

brittany_defeated.png

They had it coming!

After finally taking all provinces of Brittany, they were willing to accept my terms! That was in late 1401. I could have vassalized them or even annex them, but decided not to. I didn't have the right to, so it would cause lots of infamy, which I don't really want to gain. I'll have a tough time as it is, with a rival like England. Recieving tons of cash was quite useful though. The stupid English would still not accept a peace though. It's time to bring the war to them! Except I can't, because the friggin' Portugese destroyed my only two Cogs! Argh! Alright, I'll send an offer with demanding Aquitaine, disregarding the interface, which tells me that it won't be accepted. The score of the offer is much lower than the score I have for Christ's sake! And they do reject. And the bloody English sunk my four Carracks, too! What the hell?!

Even Portugal, and even after recieving a Regent, will not accept a White Peace. And I already called Milan into the war, too! They would offer a peace where I release one of my Vassals though. And I even have rebels popping up in Southern France!

rebels.png

Are you kidding me?! Ten thousand rebels?! Where did they come from?!

England wants to Wihte Peace out. My arse! And Burgundy just did! I'm surrounded by traitors! And now my only General is dead! His replacement I bought for 55 gold is much worse than he was. I could also convert my King, but I don't want to have him killed! He is 8/8/8! Meanwhile, England was down to 28% War Capacity, so I thought they won't be able to send any more dudes over the Channel, so I took Calais by force (which was occupied by Burgundy before they left me alone in my war). And they still won't accept my peace. Alright, I habe plenty of time! And this is where the game became pretty dull. All I had to do is look at the ugly graphics and waiting for the English to finally give up. And I also have 5 Colonists now. Can I sell them to someone?...

Then Portugal offers me a peace where I pay them 29 gold. I'm pretty tired of them by now and I have no way of actually engaging them, so I accept. Whatever. And in February 1404, I reach level 4 in Government Technology. That means I get a National Idea. Is there any Idea how I could defeat those pesky Englishmen?! After some consideration, I decided that I will need an actual Navy to ever be able to defeat the English, so I take Press Gangs. That will halve the cost of building ships. I start building two Carracks right away. Unfortunatelly my incomes are ridiculous, but I don't want to enact War Taxes. And then suddenly Milan finds itself at war with the Teutonic Order. How did that happen?

Anyway, after some consideration, I decided that I can afford to gather War Taxes. I would at least gain something for this stupid war... Oh, yeah, and I won't have any achievements from now on, because I played a session without being connected to Paradox Connect. Whatever. And now some more rebels have destroyed my entire Southern Army, and the English are also trying to take their lands back. And they still won't accept my peace offer! They won't even accept a White Peace when I have 43% War Score! What's wrong with these guys?!

So, it's 1406 already, and I'm starting to wonder if this whole thing is worth it or not. Then Burgundy suddenly gets itself into a war against half of Europe and they call me into arms. They want to eat Brabant, who is in the Holy Roman Empire, and also has an ally on my border. An ally with 11000 men right on my frontyard. I'll just ignore them for the moment. Meanwhile Scotland is occupying Provence. I want to ally with Scotland sometime in the future, but they don't like me enough yet. Unfortunatelly, ignoring the Burgundian request lost them for me as an ally. Come on! I had good relations with that country! Of course they won't ally me now either. And it cost me a ton of Prestige, too :( And the English won't even listen to a White Peace with me having 45% War Score! Come on already!...

Last edited:
    Issue #3
  • Reason II
    This game looks lame.
    Issue Three

Sitzkrieg. Or is it? The truce with Brittany is over, so now England can send their 12000 men sitting there into Normandie again. Then Brittany quickly offered a White Peace, which I accepted. I didn't really want to fight them anyway.

normandie.png

Kick-ass Battle of Normandie. The only question is who's ass will be kicked?

It turned out to be my ass. I would have lost twelve regiments from that battle, so I decided to take the easier way out: offered 25 gold to England, and they accepted. I lost tons of prestige again, and my Legitimacy also suffered a lot from losing the war. Peace, at last! Next time, I will need a more cunning plan. And some ships. I believe I will try to maintain peace for a bit now. And Burgundy thought it would be nice to insult me (presumably because I left them alone in their war). Thanks, guys, but I had a Conquest Casus Belli against you already! And we have Royal Ties, too, why would I take your Insult?... Just leave me alone, will you? And now you will embargo me, too? What the hell?!

Alright, this can't go like that anymore. I will need to do something to increase my power, because -11 Prestige is not a good thing. Looking around, the most obvious candidate for some trouble is Provence. They have Naples as an ally (who has further allies of course), but I have Milan (who also has further allies). I DoW them with a Reconquest Casus Belli, bringing every one of my allies in right away, and hope for the best. Of course I forgot my armies in the wrong places, but that is quickly fixed, and of course Milan leaves me alone while none of Naples' allies do the same. :eek:

Their combined armies are vastly superior to mine, but I'm far away from most of them. I'll try to weather this one out. I also accept an alliance offer from Switzerland. And another one from Brandenburg.

I guess I will not be able to weather this out. Austria arrived with some 30000 men, through the Alps, like Hannibal, destryoing everything I had. Now this is bad... And by the way, my original plan wouldn't have worked anyway, because Provence was a minor member of a Personal Union, so they can't negotiate for peace in the first place! Time to send in my King as a General. And because of the stupid dice roll, an inferior army still kicks his royal bottom. But at least he did some damage before he was forced to withdraw... The game must be cheating. When I was playing England, France was undefeatable! Stupid game!

things_are_bad.png

Things are not looking good, are they?...

What the AI is not good at is keeping its army strong. Maybe having my country cut in half also helped with that, but I could manage to destroy most of the Austrian forces in the North piecemeal as they were left behind to siege my provinces. Most of them didn't even fight because they were overrun. With most of Southern France lost, Austria started to send stupid Peace Offers I declined of course. King Charles VI de Valois is on his way to kick your buttocks!

lost_already_didnt_i.png

I lost the war already, didn't I?

my_offer.png

So this was the peace-offer I sent to Naples. They accepted.

After such a humiliating defeat, I decided I need to start a war that I can actually win, so I declared on the recently un-vassalized Orleans. It costed me one point of Stability because of the good relations, but I can't let them actually leave my influence! I also had to do something about my -46 Prestige... I also sent a demand to Berry for them to be annexed peacefully, which they accepted. Another point of Stability lost, but that's one more province for me to rule! Yay. I did a step towards Centralization, another point of Stability lost. I'm a genius, ain't I... But at least my war against Orleans was an easy one (finally!), and I could annex them pretty quickly. With that, I was still at -27 Prestige though. Can I do anything about it without going into stupid wars again?

Let's build some stuff now. I reached level 4 in Production Tech, so I can build Constables. It costs me 46 Gold, but should give +25% Tax, which would mean +2.5 gold in Ile-de-France. That sounds pretty good! I'll also employ Ramón Nunez de Balboa from Castille, who is an artist and will help me with improving my Stability. Anyway, back to my original point, just look at this map, isn't that ugly?!

map_of_france.png

The map of France in 1411. Looks like a giant blue eel. With a hunchback.

And when I started to regain my Stability, my beloved King decided that it's time to fall in battle against some dirty peasants. Smooth. He will be missed. His son, Louis XI is 10 years old, so he should get his throne in a few years, but in the meantime, let's hope nothing (really) bad will happen.

death_of_king_charles.png

But he was a good King!

That Constable in Ile-de-France proved to be a worthy investment, increasing my annual income considerably. I'm planning on building more of these, the only question is where? The second highest tax income province is Orleanais, so I believe that will be the best candidate. So that's where I build the next one. It costs slightly more after my stupid King's death... Taking a look around England revealed that if only I could get past their massive fleet, I could ruin their whole country! If only...

Anyway, in late 1413, Naples outright inherited Provence... That's not good! They are a strong nation and now have two landlocked provinces in my country, with my cores on them no less! I can't fight them direclty though, they are clearly stronger... But at least I can't lose the cores on those provinces because they have my culture. And I couldn't start a war with a Regent, even if I wanted to. And in March, 1414, I gain the ability to build Marketplaces! I will build them in the provinces that produce Wine, because that is a valuable commodity.

With my Stability maxed out, it's time to sack good old Ramón Nunez. I only have artists and recruit advisors at the moment, and I can't really do anything with those, so I'll need to recruit some new people. But let's commission some paintings first! 52.50% Cultural Tradition should be enough for some really good advisor, shouldn't it? Like a briliant Philosopher! Xavier de Dampierre, level 3. Not bad, but let's try another one! Maximiliem de Lhéry. Level 3 as well. Jean de Vergennes. Level 3, too. I thought there's some randomness in this, but I was wrong. Whatever. I can sell these guys later on if I'm not mistaken ;)

In 1416, Louis XI fe Valois finally accended to the throne. Strangely enough, at the age of 16, he already has a son of 7. But at least the succession is safe now. Or at least it should be. Anyway, increasing my income is going nicely, with an annual income of 102.57, although my military maintenance is on the minimum right now. I hope not to go to war anytime soon though. By the way, I have no idea how these Centers of Trade work. I own one, but that only governs my own territory. (And not even all of that...) Genoa has one in Liguria, and it governs half of Europe. That certainly has something to do with them being a Merchant Republic, I don't know.

Then on September 15th, 1418, France became the Papal Controller. That was rather unexpected...

papal_controller.png

It gives quite a few bonuses, as you can see!

Last edited:
    Issue #4
  • Reason II
    This game looks lame.
    Issue Four

And I missed the hint on load this time. If I happen to fail miserably in this game, then it will definitely be because I couldn't read this one hint. I looked around and there was noone I could Excommunicate except for Aragon, who was already Excommunicated once, and I didn't feel like picking on a three-provinces minor. They are dead meat for Castille anyway. Alright, let's move up the speed a bit, since nothing is happening right now.

english_dow.png

I beg your pardon?...

So England DoWed me. This time I have eight allies, they have two. Here's the rundown:
    France: Alencon, Armagnac, Auvergne, Bourbonnais, Brandenburg, Lorraine, Savoy, Sicily. 15000 Cavalry, 47000 Infantry, 8 Big Ships, 12 Transports.
    England: Brittany, Portugal. 17000 Cavalry, 32000 Infantry, 28 Big Ships, 55 Transports.
    On paper, we are better, as long as we stay on the continent. Then Naples also DoWed me. Why?... And of course Austria is now also involved against me. How nice. Especially because I could destroy their armies while my allies went around to occupy their provinces and they were not that reluctant to accept a peace on my terms this time around!

naples_peace_offer.png

It's almost like France is acting as a united nation!

I got 3 Infamy, which is less than 10% of the limit, so I don't really care. I got one of my cores back, and I didn't even start the war! I also gained some Prestige, but I'm still at -16. Oh, yeah, and that core I gained back is not the one currently infested by 13000 Orleanaise Nationalist Rebels either! Then Brittany offered a peace to me, giving Armor and 26 gold. Did I miss something? How come the AI is now offering stuff to me all of a sudden? Is that because I was alone in the war before and now I have lots of friends? Having friends seem to be a good idea in this game :p

Still, I couldn't beat the English King on the battlefield with my simple General. I had to convert my Louis XI into a General as well. Meanwhile Sicily lost Malta and the Baleares (Malorca, Menorca, that stuff), and thus the war. And I move one step towards Land. And Orleans at long last broke away from Naples, so I promptly declared war on them before they could gather any allies. Destroying the Portugese army in Nice, Savoy helped a lot to further our cause. Now we can concentrate on England! It's also time to start using Longbowmen instead of Halbrediers! Sweeeet!

In September, 1423, the joint forces of France, Auvergne and Bourbonnais defeated the 15000 strong English Army (two third of them were horsmen!), and with that, the hardest part was behind us. So let's commission another tapestry, shall we? Of course even with the English kicked out of Europe and with no way of them getting any of their land back, they won't give up anyway. Not even one province. They won't even accept a White Peace. Of course Portugal keeps bugging me with their bold demands. No, I won't pay you 115 gold for beating the crap out of you! Stop buzzing around! Then Burgundy declared war on England. Sorry, dudes, but I beat you to Calais already, and good luck getting accross the Channel! And that clever King of England Arthur the first of Lancaster decided he wants another royal spanking, and came attacking Anjou. Then retreated to neutral Britanny. But after some prodding, they came back, and didn't stop until Normandie, where they were destroyed completely. The King somehow still survived the battle though. They are still being completely unsensible, but at least they started to send me demands of gold. That's a start I guess.

And in August, 1425, Portugal finally sent a white peace offer, which I accepted. Now you are alone, Mr. England! And with this, my war score jumped to 12%! Yay. England of course still wouldn't even accept a white peace, but whatever. They have 13.13% war exhaustion, while I didn't even enact war taxes. I can keep this up forever. And after another huge defeat in Aquitaine, the English started to send white peace offers. Which I declined for now. But at least they finally seem to be eager to end this war.

"Royal Marriages are the key to peaceful expansion." Well, I do have quite a few of these, and in one occasion, it did help me eat some blue Berry, but I'm not yet sure how true this will prove in the long run. "A ">" in a siege represents a breach." You don't say. I thought it means that the province is defended by ducks... And I can have achievements again, or so says the interface. But I still didn't get the ones I should have, like annexing a vassal or taking an English province... Whatever.

After some careful consideration, I came to the conclusion that I would need a rather cunning plan in order to do any actual harm to the English. Simply taking their continental holdings will never convince them to secede Aquitaine, and as it is right now, I won't be able to get over to them. I have a Naval Forcelimit of 10, which I already reached, and they have seven times as many Big ships alone. And they keep it in one huge fleet, too. There's no stacking penalty in this game?... This is the time my great King Louis XI de Valois choose to pass away, leaving the throne to Henri II de Valois. 7/6/8. My Kings have nice Diplomacy skills :)

In March, 1428, the English managed to send all of their soldiers to their deaths. That brought them to 0% War Capacity of course, and it also brought up my score to 23%. With that, they were finally willing to accept seceding Gascogne if I left them get away with it. I also took 50 gold as compensation for my troubles. Scotland recognized the opportunity and backstabbed England. Portugal knew what to do: they left the stupid English rot in the trouble they brewed for themselves. Navarra also declared war on England, probably wanting to take Labourd. They are also - get this! - warning Castille! Hilarious. They will probably never get anywhere with that, but if they will, it's even better for me! Free casus belli! :D Aragon also jumped on the bandwagon, to retake the Baleares. They are the only one so far who actually has a reason to pick on England other than them being on the short end of the stick already. Anyway, the important thing is that I'm halfway towards my first mission!

Then in September, 1428, I asked Auvergne reeeeally nicely if they wanted to be an integral part of France instead of a mere vassal. They accepted of course. Noone can withstand my charms :rolleyes: That's another two core provinces restored, and with the pesky Auvergne core removed from, well, Auvergne, I move my National Focus to Maine. Nationalism in Languedoc is almost removed, so that should be safe now, and I need to work on removing those minor cores from the North as well. (Which of course costs me Magistrates, but I have an ample supply of these guys.)

france_1428.png

Well, France still looks like something Bruce Campbell would kill on sight, but we are slowly getting there!

Now with the fresh gains I recieved, my Naval Forcelimit increased to 15. With that, I can almost challenge the Royal Navy! Tripple-yay... Navarra ended the war with England 5 golds richer. Smooth. Burgundy recieved Calais and 84 gold. They are getting way too strong for my tastes, having almost 50000 soldiers and 17 provinces. I have 20 probinces, but only 20000 men... Connacht, an ally of Scotland, got even more: release of Cronwall, Wales and Leinster and also 26 gold. That's very good news to me because this makes England smaller and smaller, meaning that the one province they own on the continent will be a much bigger part of their country, and they will be more eager to sign a peace even if I can only occupy that province. Scotland only managed to get themselves a White Peace. I wanted to ally with them, but I may think it through twice now.

In 1431, my Royal Armada, the Escadre Bleue consits of 10 Carracks and 5 Cogs. The English still have some 34 Carracks though, so it is hardly impressive... But they are no longer my main concern anyway. Burgundy is. Thus I started building up my ground forces. I have time until 1449 to start a war against Burgundy, otherwise I will lose my cores they hold in Vlaanderen, Ghent and Antwerpen. And Antwerpen is a rich Center of Trade, so we wouldn't want that, now would we?

Last edited:
    Issue #5
  • Reason II
    This game looks lame.
    Issue Five

"A defeated army is at the risk of annihilation, especially if you can beat them at the province they are retreating into." I didn't need to be told that, I did it already multiple times! Why can't this stupid hint-system check what I already know and only bombard me with tips that are actually useful?! Upon loading up this time, Burgundy removed their embargo. It probably got stuck in the AI's head previously for whatever reason. I don't think they wanted to keep that embargo against me anyway. And the English made the mistake of taking a province from Aragon, giving me another province within reach to occupy!

And thus I declare war on England in March, 1433. I still have my "Reconquest" Casus Belli, so it goes fairly easily. I also can call all my allies into the war automatically. The only one that doesn't heed my call is Brandemburg, but they are too far away for me to bother. Both Portugal and Sicily decides to go down with the English. They don't waste time, but they do waste some 13000 men on the shores of Normandy right away. I, on the other hand, use the opportunity to decimate the Sicilian Navy, the only one involved in the war that is smaller than mine. The Portugal Fleet comes to their rescue though, and captures one of my cogs. Also, my forces on the Balearas were defeated by some English peasants! Argh! I will need some reinforcements. And I can make one slider step, which is one point towards Quality, resulting in a "New commandant" event. Smooth. He's level 3 and I won't use him, but the other two would have been bad events. I also got a "Border Friction" Casus Belli against Brittany, which I definitely will be using sometime in the near future.

For some reason, Portugal and England attacked Provence in Avignon multiple times. That in itself wouldn't be that strange, mind you, but they retreated into Savoy every time. Yet, I could find no evidence that they had any kind of treaty that would allow it. Isn't that cheating? Anyway, I asked Savoy if they would be so kind to let me through to finish off those pesky bugs, and they were reasonable enough to accept. They were at war already anyway, so I guess they didn't really mind me ravaging their lands, too. Meanwhile, Scotland was fighting Denmark, Norway, Baden and Lüneburg, and in these circumstances, they seemed much more eager to sign the Alliance I wanted to offer them. They are in a similar situation as I am in: they lack the navy to fight their arch-enemies. But in their case, it is a bit worse, because they don't have any ships at all. I can't send them any help either, but I guess if I called them into my little war against the English at the right moment, they could help me out a lot! But they still have their truce, so the time is not right. Yet.

The Casus Belli against Brittany was only a temporary one, so I had to use it up quickly. I did so in January, 1435, with no actual units on their border, but they only had 3000 men anyway. Scotland dishonoured the Alliance right away (I shouldn't have called them... Stupid me.), and so did Lorraine and Avignon.

Another interesting turn of events followed this: I got an alliance offer from Milan. Very nice! Or so I thought. They started a war of intervention against Austria. This in itself wouldn't have been so much of a problem by now, since Austria was pretty much gangbanged by everyone in the region, but they are allied to Savoy, which is on my very border! Then again, this might not be that much of a problem after all, since they basically have no armies to speak of. Meanwhile, Brittany offered a peace, but I want to annex them, so I declined. A bit later I took their last city, and annexed them for 12 Infamy. And 10 Prestige. That's when it occured to me that I can actually go and attack Portugal throuhg Castille! Which is important because it is the Portugese Navy that is keeping me from taking Sicily and the English islands in the Mediterranean!

In early 1436, I got a random event, giving me the option of either gaining 2 Stability or 10 Prestige (plus +1 Diplomatic Skill for 6 years either way). Normally, I would go for the +2 Stability, but I already had 3 and after looking around, I couldn't find any way of losing two points that would make sense... I was considering changing my National Idea, but I decided that it wouldn't be a good Idea. I want those Press Gangs and I want the Grand Navy as well, because I want to beat England for good. I will need to wait for some twenty years for that though. Anyway, I chose the Prestige, bringing me to 50 Prestige. Not bad.

Then, with my forces on the borders of Portugal proper, England started to show some sense again, and finally accepted my reasonable demands.

regaining_aquitaine.png

I didn't ask for much, did I?

With that done, my next mission is to 'Annex Bourbonnais'. Like I wouldn't have done it anyway. Alright now, who am I still fighting, again? Ah, yes. Austria. I didn't forget what you did last time, don't you worry. After taking care of the small potatoes, Austria was quite easy to subjugate as well. The only problem was that I was not the leader in this war, because I was called in by Milan. And Burgundy warned me not to do anything silly. And I also got an heir to the throne of Luxemburg.

So, it was late 1437, and time was running out if I wanted to keep my cores in the Flemish areas of Northern Burgundy! In a little over a year, they will vanish, unless I start a war against Burgundy over them! Unfortunatelly, they have quite a few friends. They are allied with Milan (who already left me for them once if I'm not mistaken), Switzerland (fielding 9000 soldiers) and Brandenburg (who is also allied with me as well, but will probably support them anyway). They are also part of the empire, so Bohemia, the current emperor will most likely protect them. Bohemia and Burgundy have 110000 soldiers combined, and I can only have half of that, if I'm really dedicated. It would be much better if they attacked me instead... But how? I imposed an Embargo on them, maybe it will do the trick. They returned the favour, but didn't declare yet. Then I canceled the Military Access I had through their lands. Another option would have been to attack Lorraine, who dishonoured my Call to Arms, so I had a Casus Belli, but they are also part of the Empire. Wouldn't help me one bit. I secured a Royal Marriage with Bohemia, just in case.

Alright. Whatever. I have to fight this war, even if I lose it. I won't lose those cores just yet. Scotland chickened out again, and Burgundy and Milan sided with them. Bavaria didn't intervene yet. That's good, without them, we have a chance to actually win! The strategy is to defeat the Burgundian armies piecemeal, then we can go for the provinces.

The plan was working pretty well. I destroyed about half of the Burgundian forces in three major battles, while my vassals have started sieging their cities. During the battle of Ile-de-France, the die was rolling against me in almost every turn, but in the end, I came out victorious, killing another few thousand Burgundians. Unfortunatelly Switzerland and Milan made a combined invasion force in Southern France at the same time, and my other army was spanked, and had to retreat. So I lost some battles too, but I don't have to win them all, I only have to win the war! (That rhymed! Did you see that? :D) In Charolais, I defeated 15000 Milanese soldiers, then in Dauphiné, I kicked Swiss butt. And after a series of several clashes, I defeated a 15000-strong Burgundese Army near Caux. They were bombarding me with White Peace offers by then of course. Strangely enough, Switzerland was sending outrageous demands even after losing almost their entire army... In a small naval battle at the Straits of Dover, we captured 2 Cogs from the Burgundese Navy.​

If you are interested in how the Issue of the 2nd French Reconquest of Calais went, that's one more Reason to come back next time!

Last edited:
    Issue #6
  • Reason III
    This game is too hard.
    Issue Six

I mean really. Should it take fifty years for France to get where I am now? I thought not.

We left off last time, I was at war with Burgundy, but they were mostly beaten already, and so was Switzerland and Milan. Brandenburg still sends me the occasional "End the vassalisation of Alencon" bullcrap they have so much of at home, but I couldn't care less. Unfortunately I can't vassalize Switzerland, because that would take 104% War Score. (Actually, that is a fix compared to Victoria, where I could vassalize the British Empire...) So they will get away easily this time: they shall annul all their treaties with everyone, and give me their 50 gold. No provinces change hands because I already have 12 Infamy, and I will get more from Burgundy soon. That's 9.5 Prestige. Milan will have to annul their treaties with Burgundy, Tuscany and Brandenburg and release Oldenburg and Pisa. That's 5 more Prestige. Burgundy had the sharp end of the stick:

peace_with_burgundy.png

They had it coming! With that, I have 94 Prestige, getting me ahead of the Golden Horde!

With that gain, I had the opportunity to adopt the Imperial administration. I had to look that up in the manual (or more precisely, the game files), because I had absolutely no idea what that did... After some consideration, I decided to go for it. My current Feudal Monarchy gives some manpower (which I don't need), some more land units (which I don't need) and 0.5 Magistrates per year. The Imperial government gives 0.6 Magistrates and a Land Morale bonus, which sounds much more useful for my Quality Army. The policy restrictions are less appealing by one point, but that doesn't really bother me, because they are much better in another field. And I should be able to regain my +3 Stability relatively quickly now that I'm not at war.

In late 1440, I gained Flemish as a tolerated culture. I have no idea how that works, I just randomly got that like an event, but it was not an event, I'm sure. Anyway, that is good news, since it will allow me to harness my new gains in Antwerpen, Ghent and Vlaanderen to their full potential. By the way, I couldn't help but notice that Burgundy didn't really go to great lengths to improve the buildings around here. Or were they destroyed in the war? I don't know.

Turns out, taking land from the Holy Roman Empire was not the best idea. Now they got an event to claim Barrois back. The province itself is not really that imporant and not even a core, so I let it go. I'll take it back when I'm strong enough to defy the entire HRE. Bohemia gets the land and I get 5 Prestige. After that came a relatively peaceful few years, with the occasional revolt in former Brittany and an event giving me a core in Artois. This is just the thing I wanted to attack Burgundy again in a few years!

core_on_artois.png

I will come back for that later.

"You can click on a slider to lock its position." Well, most of the sliders are locked in their position and I can only change them once in every decade, so thanks for nothing. "Technology tooltips now show what the next level will unlock." Nice. Can't imagine how useful they were before...

After my successful war against the evil Burgundy, all their armies were destroyed. Sucks to be them now, especially with 7000 Peasants sieging a province next to their capital.

Anyway, back to our current arch-nemesis: England! They still have their Wooden Wall, but now I can have 31 ships, and they are dirt-cheap to maintaine, so I will build some more in the next few years. And the stupid Pope Excommunicated Pisa, which is my Ally since I made them be released by Milan not that long ago. In such a defensive war, I'm supposed to help them out. The attacker is Venice, allied with Transylvania, a one province minor at the moment, and at war with Sicily, Savoy, Naples, Milan, Aquileia and Bohemia already. Stupid move I would say. And I also took leadership in this war, which is quite nice! Alright then, let's kick some Venetian bottoms!

venetian_war.png

It sucks to be Venice right now, too.

A month later Tirol joined the fun, only on the wrong side. Their loss. Then Ragusa thought it would be a briliant idea to join, too. Are they stupid or what? Tirol was very easy to subjugate, they accepted Forced Vassalisation after taking one of their two provinces. 3 Infamy, but another Vassal in the Empire! Transylvania was a bit more problematic, considering their distance. I had to march through Tirol, Bavaria, Bohemia and Hungary to get there. Meanwhile Milan peaced out, asking for Albania to be released.

Then I realized that my new protege, Tirol was at war with both Hungary and Bavaria! What a twist! I canceled the Military Access I had in both immediately, hoping for a Call to Arms, after I sent an Alliance offer to Tirol. That didn't come, and I didn't really want to risk getting into a war against the current Emperor Bohemia by declaring war on either of them. To reduce the clutter, I decided to end the war that Venice started with a relatively harsh peace: they were to pay me 50 bucks, revoke their cores in Albania, release Montenegro and Crete. I also decided to pretty much give up on Tirol. I didn't really want them anyway. But then suddenly I was called into that war automatically. Strange. I crushed the Bavarian forces with ease, and after taking Munich, they accepted to revoke their claims on Tirol. Problem solved!

In the meantime, Burgundy managed to get completely screwed, with half of its territory being occupied by rebels, and Bohemia reached the levels of being Dishonourable Scum, giving a Casus Belli against them for everyone. I unfortunatelly have a Royal Marriage with them though, and they are too strong for me anyway, but they will probably be brought down soon. I hope. And while we are waiting for that, let's fund some more revolts in Burgundy, shall we? :D

burgundian_rebels.png

I hope I will get something out of those revolts!

Now, back to that fleet-building project! I will need some Docks for that! Not that it actually helps or anything, but still. And it increases production by 10%, which sounds nice. So let's check which coastal province has the most production! And the winner is Antwerpen, with 19.34 points of Production. The province next to it, Vlaanderen, also has 19.34 points of Production. Both of them are cores of France already, so I can build ships there. So I build Docks in both.

In September, 1443, Burgundy has broken under the enormous pressure, releasing Flanders and Hainaut. Good thing, because I have cores in Hainaut, so I can start a nice little war against them! That might bring in Bohemia against me though, and they have more than twice as many soldiers as I do. But they are Dishonourable Scum, spread out all over the place, so I may still be able to get them before they get me! Let's do this!

war_with_bohemia.png

It is sort of like a World War, is it not?

The strategy is similar to before: take their armies down one by one, while they are invading. And yes, my gamble does seem to work out: a few days after my war with Bohemia starts, the Teutonic Order and Utrecht declares war on the Dishonourable Scum, and a few others joined the fun later on. In the first four battles, I defeated and completely wiped out two Bohemian armies of 15000 Soldiers each, one Hainautian Army of 6000 Soldiers and another minor Bohemian Army of 1000 Soldiers. Good! Meanwhile, my vassals are sieging the cities of the enemy. Liege was relatively easy. They are Wallonian, which is in my Culture group, so I decided they will be annexed. Down you go! Man, I will have to lay down for a while after this war, I'm afraid... Hainaut accepted to give me my core and 175 bucks for my efforts at making them kneel. And with their buddies removed from the equation, Bohemia was also willing to part with Bar, their cores on Ratibor and 100 bucks.

Now, with that, I gained a lot of cash. And right now the best investment is to Support the Florentine School, which will give me ten years of epic goodness, with Prestige, Cultural Tradition and a loss of Infamy! At a steep cost, mind you, but I can afford that. And I will commission a new Tapestry soon! And now, back to building more ships! Wait a minute... England lost their ships?! How? When? What the... Probably in their war with Castille, I guess.

It's time to move the sliders! (Which are usually locked in place, even without right-clicking them.) I move one point towards Centralization, hoping for a Local Pretender to rise, because that would be pretty easy to deal with right now. Much easier than losing a point of Stability... And the lucky guy I am, I get a Local Pretender in Calais! With only 6000 men! Nice! In the meantime, I remove Namur, then Liége from the Holy Roman Empire. I don't want them to be in there. And after that, a period of peace and calm comes in the life of France.

And by peace and calm, I mean an event about some Nobles in Namur messing with politics. But actually, their offer to reform the society sounds pretty good: two points towards Aristocracy (I'm already at -4) and two points towards Serfdom (I'm at +3, which is two points beyond the supposed limit). I would take that over one point towards Decentralization anytime, and 13 Regiments of rebels in Namur are not that tempting either. Aside from that, Normandie turned into Cosmopolitaine. Isn't that a cocktail? And I also noticed a very nice-looking Cultural Decision: Byzantine Refugees! It gives 5% discount to Technology cost in addition to +2 yearly Cultural Tradition. Sounds good! Problem is, it requires 5 Diplomats and 3 Magistrates! That will take two years! Oh, whatever. And I also got a level 6 Statesman, Joseph de Richemont! He is much better than my current level 3 philosopher who I don't need anyway with my 94 Prestige! Awesome! I will reach Government level 9 in 1450!

Still during this peaceful period, I got an event about an 'Agricultural Revolution' in Ilé-de-France. Apparently, even the crops are revolting against my rule because of my Infamy! Anyway, I could either turn this into a biological weapon, giving me manpower or into an eco-biological one, giving me tax. I'll take the cash, thank you very much! Yeah, and by the way, my current mission is to annex Bourbonnais, so let's try to do that now! And they accept! Wonderful! That's one point of Stability lost, but a nice province gained, along with ten points of Prestige: five for the annexation, five for the mission. And fulfilling the mission also gives me back my Stability point! Groovy! So, what's the next mission?

italian_ambition.png

Italian Ambition? Is that some sort of genital disease?

So, Italy, huh? That includes Sardinia and Sicily, even Malta, but of course excludes Corsica. And I have no Casus Belli against any of the Italians. Well, I guess I won't do anything about this just yet. Maybe when the opportunity presents itself. And it didn't really take that long for that: I recieved a Casus Belli against England. A "Violated Sphere of Influence" Casus Belli. I have absolutely no idea where that one came from, as they are not at war with any of the nations under my wing, must be a bug. Wouldn't surprise me in this game! Oh, whatever. The point is that I will now take Malta!

Last edited:
    Issue #7
  • Reason III
    This game is too hard.
    Issue Seven

"To explore the new world, you need the "Conquest for the New World" National Idea." I guess I already heared that one before... "Press the F12 button to save the entire world map." I can save the entire World with the push of a button?! I'm F-Man!

Anyway, I'm now at war with England again, and they start this conflict with 0% War Capacity. Well, what could I say? They are incompetent fools, that's nothing new. Then again, they have a bigger army than I do... They had two allies that would fight for them, Wales and Connacht, but Portugal chickened out. They have some common sense after all. My allies have all honoured our alliances. Every single one of them. They also have some common sense.

So, the first thing I want to do is sink that three ships they have. Revenge is soooo sweet! My 17 Carracks easily destroy their pittifuly fleet, but my 5 Cogs are led by a moron, and when I order them into the Mediterranean, they go out into the Bay of Biscay, suffering 6% attrition. In Malta, I have to defeat 2000 Knights Nationalists. I didn't know that the Knihts were a nation to begin with! You learn something new every day! Anyway, I also sent 15000 men to Cronwall to cause some mischief. Which they pretty much did, but in the end they were all annihilated. Tough luck. I'll have more in no time! In the meantime, I reached Government tech level 9 in March, 1449, giving me a new Idea: Military Drill. That gives +1 Morale for my armies, which is almost 30%! I might change it later, but right now, it sounds pretty good!

In June, 1449, I finally gather enough Magistrates to enact the Byzantine Refugees decision. -5% Technology cost. Nice! After that was done, and I gathered a large enough army to go back to England again, I asked for Military Access through Scotland. They gave it to me with pleasure. My cunning plan is to gather my forces there before going into England proper, so they can't destroy my forces before they could all get there. I only have 5 cogs, so it takes multiple turns to get my troops in position. Meanwhile, I gain cores in Southern France.

cores_in_southern_france.png

Good! Now I actually have access to the Mediterranean! Previously my ships suffered serious attrition in my backyard pool...

Malta is taken after two years of siege and an assault a year after the walls got breached and they were 'about to surrender any day now'. Good. We have what we came for. Now the next step is to kick England in the butt. They are still trying to rebuild their navy by the way. And they moved their Armies to the North, in response to my troop concentration there. Alright, I will move my forces back one province then. They also withdrew their forces. Goood boy! Your reward is a good old dagger in your back.

backstab.png

Backstab. The French way.

Meanwhile, Castille also attacked, but from the South. Smooth! I will give them a hand. Let's siege London, shall we? But then for some reason, Castille went for a White Peace. The bastards! I'll get them for this! Later. Right now, I have to annihilate all the English Armies. What could go wrong?

stupid_savoy.png

What did they do that for?

Savoy? Joining the war against me? And I have practically noone in Southern France? Ah, whatever. I'll just send my forces from Belgium there. Then they were joined by Portugal as well. I might have been wrong about the Portugese common sense earlier. At least they sued for a White Peace soon after. But I also got a Boundary Dispute with Hainaut, over Valenciennes. It is my culture, so I pressed the issue.

After a long and exhausitng campaign, Savoy is completely taken over and I force them to become my vassals. It costs me 4 points of Infamy, and I don't like that, but whatever. By now, I could also force a very nice Peace on England, but I do want to press on a little more. I want them to release Connacht from being their vassal as well as Wales. And I would also prefer Cronwall and Northumberland to be released as new nations. New friends are always nice. I will spare you the details of the long war, let's just say that after some five years, I managed to get England to the level where I wanted them to be at.

english_peace.png

Not bad. Especially considering that my Casus Belli never actually existed in the first place...

With my Italian Ambition satisfied (and with a Maltese core richer), I get the mission to Incorporate Savoy into the Kingodm (France is an Empire, you dimwit!). This mission needs me to destroy Savoy and get Piedmont in the process. But they are my vassal now, so I will need to do this the Diplomatic way. Wait a minute! Can I even diplo-annex a nation with four provinces?? Well, the interface does offer the option, although grayed out because I don't meet the requirements. Then let's start with offering an Alliance to them! I also want to keep England in check, so I expand my Sphere of Influence over the British Isles.

Meanwhile, elsewhere in Europe, Bohemia is still hated by the entire world, and a few minors start wars against them. It sounds like the perfect time to start another war! This time against Hainaut. I have a core on them, so I will annex them! They have Luxemburg as an ally, which is nothing to be afraid of, Flanders, which is only slightly more frightening than Luxemburg, and also Avignon, but they are supposed to be my allies as well. And even if they choose to side against me, I will just eat them, too. Hainaut is in the Empire, and thus Bohemia is supposed to defend them, and this is the part where the Bohemian repution comes in. I don't really think Bohemia is in any shape to enforce their rights right now, as they are fighting for their continued existence. Everyone joins everyone, including Bohemia's vassals, and Avignon choose the wrong side. Let's get this party started!

Hainaut was pretty easy to annex, and I could do the same with Luxemburg, but I was starting to get waaaay too close to the Infamy limit, so I wanted to slow down. So I let them go with only a warning. I made Flanders renounce all their claims on my territories, and pay me some gold. I also let Avignon get away with betraying me, because Milan got there first and I couldn't get any land from them... After some consideration, I decided to also let Bohemia get away easily this time. They have enough trouble anyway, and will most likely get spanked without me.

But with that, I ran out of people to attack :( So I started building some churches and docks. Until I ran out of Magistrates, too. Then I got a Boundary Dispute with Burgundy, over Nevers. Life is good :D I went for it of course, right away. Gone were the days when Burgundy posed any threat at all. It was one of the easiest fights up to that point...

burgundy_peace.png

One big step forward to removing the Burgundian threat from Europe!

And with that, ends today's issue, because I have a headache. Probably because this game is so bad.

Last edited:
    Issue #8
  • Reason III
    This game is too hard.
    Issue Eight

"The first army to arrive at siege will be the leader and the one to take control of the province after the siege." Which is kinda stupid and messed up my plans on numerous occasions. It should be the strongest one, not the first! Anyway, at least my vassals will always conquere for me, and there are quite a few of them. And the other hint I recieved at least ten times already.

Soooo, I was away from this game for quite a while now (which might not be apparent from the reader's point of view), so let's take a look around, what the heck was I up to?... Here's a map of Europe you probably won't see squat on:

september_1455.png

Europe, in all its glory. During this game session, most of Norway is played by Castille, disguised as the Gold Coast.

My current mission is to incorporate Savoy into the Kingdom (or rather the Empire...). For that to be done, they must cease to exist and I need to own the province of Piedmont. In exchange, I would get a core in that province. Sounds good, the only problem with that is that they are my vassal. I obviousl don't want to let go of a vassal for multiple reasons, and it would take years to be able to annex them diplomatically... If I'm even allowed to do that, of which I'm not sure at all, them holding four provinces and all...

On the bright side of life, I have a lot of money and a healthy income, too, with a nicely fed 50 regiments army (which is second only to the Ottomans in Europe and of course the Ming, but that hardly matters at all). My mortal enemy, England, is in a pretty bad shape, too. The game tells me that I should feel threatened by England (surely you jest!) and Bohemia (who is the worst kind of dishonourable scum the World has ever seen). My supposed natural rivals are Castille (the guys with the Gold Cosat), Sweden (the guys that make those horrible games), Bohemia (the guys with the Rhapsody), and Austria (the muscled guy with the kangaroos from Candy Cornia). It also tells me that I have a very bad reputation. So I decided to stay low for a while.

I'm losing 0.9 points of Infamy every year, so I should be done with it in thirty-three years. If I don't do anything stupid in the meantime... Piece of cake!

So, let's build some Docks and Churches! And Constables. That can't cause any trouble :) And also let's improve our relations with our vassals! I want to be loved at least by them, if not by anyone else... I also move my National Focus to Brittany so I can remove those cores they have there. I want French Unity in France! Of course I will need a lot more Magistrates for that, and I'm using those to build new stuff right now, but maybe in the future.

As a stroke of genius, I send an offer to Bar that they can't decline, and they are now my Vassals as well. I have a core on their single province. Nice. Of course I don't want to diplo-annex them anytime soon, because Savoy is first in line for that, but it can't hurt, now can it? They are in the Empire, so there's no hurry. My next opportunity for such an action will be in June, 1462.

I'm starting to suspect that something is wrong with my game. I previously recieved a "Violation of Sphere of Influence" Casus Belli against Scotland, which is in my Sphere of Influence but was only fighting two countries which were not, and now I recieved a "Dishonoured Call" against Wurzburg. I never was allied them in the first place, and neither of us is at war... Then I also got a "Holy War" against the freshly independent Sunni Crimea... Am I going mad?

Meanwhile I increased Centralization with one point. I hoped for a Pretender or a Great Revolt which could be dealt with quickly, but unfortunatelly I got a drop of Stability. But that only lasted for a year or so, and having 2 points of Stability isn't that bad either. And after several years of being beaten up, Bohemia lost most of its power and enough of its Infamy to lose the Dishonourable Scum tag. But they are still Emperor, and it took them only a few months to get that title back as well.

brandenburg_emperor.png

On the Coat of Arms of Brandenburg, Emperor Joachim II Nestor is practicing his Force Lightning spell, dressed as a red chicken. Yes, his chicken costume is hardly convincing.

The election of the new Holy Roman Emperor was almost unanimous, only Bohemia was bold enough to vote for himself, the other six would prefer to see him brought down. So long, snapperhead!

And now I only have 24.4 Infamy, and only one year until the next opportunity to get a peacefull annexation! By the way, did you notice that Castille is kinda getting out of hand lately?! We should do something about them! Later.

annex_savoy.png

I sent my offer to Savoy about them joining the Empire of France, which they accepted without hesitation.

With that said and done, I lost one point of Stability and a core on Piedmont. The three other provinces will have to adapt on their own. The next mission is to Conquer Milan. This only means Lombardia, actually. Gaining that province would give me 10 points of prestige, and incidentally I also gained a Casus Belli to get it. Of course they are not completely defenseless though, so it would lead to some complications, among them a possible war with Brandenburg, the new Emperor, and a point of Stability lost because of our Royal Marriage. On the other hand, I could claim the Throne of Milan. That could be quite beneficial to me in the long run! So that's what I do. (Although I'm not entirely sure what I actually achieved by this...)

Now, back to peacefully building up and improving my relations with my vassals. Especially those I have Royal Marriages with, because they don't like me too much right now.

But I can't really get away with annexing Savoy either. In a few days, I recieved another formal request from Brandenburg to give back Nice, or else. I told them where to stick it. This caused another point of Stability, but I can live with it. I honestly don't understand who do they think they are... And they don't seem like they would actually attack, they are only tossing around empty threats. By 1464, I removed all four new provinces from the Empire and regained one of the two lost Stability points as well. In eight short years, I will be ready to annex yet another of my vassals.

I just realized that there's a serious problem with taking Lombardia from Milan: that's their capital... I can only take it by annexing them completely, which would give a lot of Infamy. If I'm not mistaken, every province taken gives 4 Infamy. I have a "Conquest" Casus Belli, that should reduce the Infamy I get to 25% and they have six provinces. So if my calculations are right, that would give me six points of Infamy. Not too bad, but I'm not sure I could annex them in a single war to begin with. Alright! Let's do this!

war_with_milan.png

Most of my allies honoured kept promises with the exception of Montenegro (big loss there), and all of theirs stand beside them. Or behind them at least.

Branbenburg also brought Lithuania into the party. And Hesse. And Ulm. (No, not that Ulm.) Let's just hope this won't get out of hand... I'm also warned by several one province minors now. Oh, my!

And of course I was right about Annexation not being available. I don't have cores on any of their provinces, so all of them would cost 4 Infamy even with the "Conquest" Casus Belli. I could get away with taking three provinces, but that would bring me dangerously close to the limit, which I would prefer to avoid. So, I only take Liguria (with a fat Center of Trade!) and Parma with some minor stuff. Of course that was only Milan, I still have multiple enemies.

A little later I recieved a core in Charolais, Burgundy, which is great, because they have my culture, so I can't even lose it. I don't want to use that opportunity just now, I have way too much Infamy and too many warnings right now...

And again, the AI is outrageously inconsistent. Brandenburg would offer me two provinces among other things but they decline my offer of a White Peace... Come on! What's wrong with you?! But after occupying some of their provinces, they finally gave in. And that's it for today. See you next time!

Last edited:
    Issue #9
  • Reason III
    This game is too hard.
    Issue Nine

"You will get nasty events when you get above the infamy limit. Don't say we didn't warn you." Well, I wouldn't want the game to get any harder, now would I? Of course not. So let's just not do that, okay? My Infamy is currently 30.68 while the limit is 38 points. I guess it's time to sit back and do nothing. While I'm waiting for my Infamy to go down, I'll try to play the music of the game on my acustic bass guitar. Because I'm badass ;)

For some reason I gained a Casus Belli against Castille, Scotland, Moldavia and Navarra. Must... resist... temptation... can't... fight... more... wars... But no worries, it disappeared in a few days! What a relief! Meanwhile Avignon and Provance broke up. They couldn't hold together their two-provinces empire. Let's make friends with Provence then!

By the way, I'm pretty much swimming in money now (700 gold with about 180 per year after taxes), so I guess I should expand my Army and Navy a bit. My current 50 (45+5) regiments look nice on paper, but the borders are getting longer, so let's go for 60 (45+15) instead! Cannons will be invented soon as well. My Navy consists of 22 Carracks and 6 Cogs. Not bad, but considering that I have Press Gangs, I should have more, so let's build some! Say, 10 Cogs and 35 Carracks overall! So, where are my recruitment centers and harbours again? Well, I have no Drydocks yet and simple Docks do nothing with ship building, so it is completely irrelevant. But I have an Armoury and a Training Field in Ile-de-France, so that's where I'll train my new Cavalry Regiments.

In February, 1469, I got the chance to make a step in one of the sliders. My choice was Centralization. That can help a lot. It costs me one point of Stability though. It will take a year and a half to get it back. Sometimes I wonder if I should invest into Churches. But it takes a Magistrate which I can use for so much else! No, I have to endure the tough times brought by the loss of Stability for the Greater Good.

Is it just me or do other people also find it funny that you can have an Army of 10000 Longbowmen? Isn't that just a tiny little bit silly? I mean, it sounds fun and all to shade the sky with ten thousand arrows, but seriously. What if the enemy happens to have Protection from Normal Missiles prepared that morning? We would be screwed, that's what. So that's why I want to have a few horses at hand.

Wow! Government Tech level 11! That's another National Idea! What should that be? Hmm, choices, choices... The Naval line is pretty much useless now, I don't really want to rely on my Navy. Land has somewhat more potential, but not by much. I can has 93 Regiments already, I don't care about +1 Siege value for Leaders, I never had problems with Manpower, my Army Tradition is higher than my ego and prestige from Land Battles would be a bit more tempting if I didn't have like 85% of the Infamy Limit so I could actually fight wars. Moving on. Exploration would be fun if I wanted to do colonizing, which I don't. Sure, it would be a good way to waste some time while I'm waiting for my Infamy to go down, but colonies don't worth a damn and they get their resources randomly, too, so I can't just take the good ones either. If I want a colonial empire, I'll take one when someone already developed it :p State is a lot more interesting with Tax bonuses, reduced Revolt Risk or additional Spies. Actually, the Revolt Risk reducing one isn't that good either, since I only have Revolt Risk where there is a minimal revolt risk anyway (ie. in newly conquered provinces), so it wouldn't help at all. From the Culture line I was considering Church Attendance Duty because of the huge decrease in Stability cost and the Papal Influence, but I couldn't do anything with that either. The Stability cost reduction only matters while I don't have 3 Stability already, which happens rarely because I always play nice :)rolleyes:) and the +5% Papal Influence would still drown in the -28% from my Infamy... Patron of the Arts sounds really nice. Having 5-6 star advisors could be very useful. But so could +10% Tax Modifier. Alright, I'll take the taxes. Bureaucracy it is then. With such a disgusting name it must be good! ;) It gave about 30 gold to my yearly income, also increasing my monthly investment. And I deserve a cookie now!

In August, 1470, I reach level 3 Stability again. That didn't take long. But I still have 28.14 Infamy :( But there are good news as well! In December, that very same year, I got a Personal Union with Milan as a Christmas Present! How nice! They also got a Pretender, which I will defeat right away with my forces stationed in the neighbourhood. There's a tooltip when I hover my mouse over the ruler of Milan, but I have no idea what it means... All I can figure out is that my chances of inheriting Milan completely are pretty much non-existant.

milan_ruler.png

It might have something to do with my bastard son...

Also, my own throne is somewhat threatened because of the weak claim of that bastard Louis. I will get a pretender upon Henri II's death. Which could happen any minute now, considering that he has been on the throne since 1427. That's 44 years! And I just realized that the mechanics for inheriting a junior partner in a personal union were changed, now it is a diplomatic action. I very much doubt that I will be in personal union with Milan for 50 years... My king would need to live past a hundred years for that.

The next minor I annex into France is Bar. I was preparing for that! I accumulated two Magistrates to remove the province of Barrois from the Holy Roman Empire right away! Eat your heart out, Joachim II of Mecklenburg!

By November, 1473, I managed to remove every single Brittanian core from France (and thus from the game). I hope they won't come back later on either :) In a few years I'll be able to move my National Focus to South Western France, thne I'll start to promote cultural unity there as well. I don't want any other cores in France, only French ones! It's a shame I can only move the focus very rarely.

Now with the fast approaching advent of gunpowder, I start to move from Offensive towards Defensive. 0.1 Morale is a trivial amount now, Leader Shock will soon be much worse than Leader Siege and I don't want Artillery to be expensive. I frequently get "Fortification neglected" events and until now I always chose the temporary effect instead of the change in policies. But now I'll pick the step towards Defensive.

move_to_defensive.png

In this game the best offense is a good defence...

In 1475, my Infamy is down to 24. I'm almost tempted to start looking for trouble again :D Unfortunatelly my next target, Burgundy still has three provinces and I only have a core on one of them, which means I would gain 8 Infamy for annexing them. (I think.) I don't want to get above 30 again, so I'll wait a bit more. In the meantime, I'll send some spies to do cause some trouble for Brandenburg. I don't like them. And I will focus all my investment on Land tech to get the next unit type ASAP. It will be the Galloglaigh Infantry, which is strange because those are supposed to be Irish/Scottish mercenaries, but whatever. The lis a Welsh invention, too, so whatever.

In January, 1478, I recieved a new heir, Louis de Ávalos (the dinasty of Castille, by the way). That's strange, is it not? Having a bastard from the same dinasty as my ruler, then recieving a legal heir from a different one? Is he adopted or what? His Military Skill will be 9 (awesome!), his Administration 8 (great!) and hist Diplomacy will be 3. That means we can win wars and then we will drown in the seas of Infamy created by them. And he is 0 years old as of now, with a very old father. (Or stepfather.)

Castille laid claims on the throne of Bohemia. Are they mad?! We can not allow that to happen! War of Spanish Succession, anyone? Anyway, in February, 1479, I reach Land tech level 11, gaining access to these new Scotsmen and Irishmen. Well, yeah, from a gameplay point of view they look better than my Longbowmen, but I still don't like the idea of having an army of ambush troops. Still, if I don't want that ugly notification to stay up there, I will have to change over to these people.

new_troops.png

They have a very long description, so they must be a lot better than the Longbowmen!

1480.png

As we roll over to 1480, Europe looks rather strange. I think what it seriously lacks is a bit more blue :D

Sweden is getting unhealthily big. Castille owns most of Norway, Iceland, parts of Morocco, Tunisia, Lithuania and Dalmatia, but they couldn't take care of Aragon (which is practically always excommunicated) and there's an English province even. The former Emperor, Bohemia is no longer a serious threat, the new Emperor, Brandenburg is not a threat yet. Austria, the potential German threat is contained for now. Novgorod has vast territories but it is too far away to be my concern. The Ottomans are cut in half. Italy is still fragmented, the only frightening part is the Papal States. I think England is knocked out of the Major League for good.

Last edited:
    Issue #10
  • Reason IV
    This game is too ahistorical.
    Issue Ten

Do I really have to comment on that one? Really? I mean just look at this map:

world_map_1480.png

Africa has some kind of heart-cancer and it reached its coast. And yeah, Sweden is supposed to be that big. No bias.

"Spain is not the Emperor." Yeah, I gathered as much. If it would, it could shoot lightning bolts. So, Spain (well, technically Castille, but whatever) might not be the Emperor, but it still has some pretty far flung holdings. Like the entire coast freakin' Norway! But at least England is still pretty much impotent. Muwhaha! "The larger your country, the more research and regaining stability cost." Yeah, I noticed. Right now my two most advanced techs are Government and Land (11 both), five years ahead of time. This gives a pretty big penalty on research. Not that it matters, really, because it actually increases the cost to gain a level, not lowers the efficiency of gaining research points. So, unless I can gather enough points to jump a level in 5 years (which is pretty unlikely even for mighty France!), the cost will get back to a normal level anyway. I was trying very hard to get those shiny Large Bronze Cast Mortars and Houfnices ASAP because I like big bang, but that's simply not going to happen. Spending almost 40% of my budget would get me there in like 7-8 years (and that's with the ahead-of-time penalty removed). And guess what! There is someone with level 12 land tech already! And it's my friendly neighbourhood Aachen. Which is nice because I get +0.2 investment from them (on a tech that is ahead of time). It's kinda sad that you can't take the tech of others simply by stomping them to the ground :D

Sooo. It was a looooong time since the last issue, so here's some recap. (I probably need it more than you do, since you probably just started reading this anyway...) Here's a sitrep:
    Our current mission is to conquer Milan. In practice this means taking Lombardia, but since it is their capital, it actually equals conquering them completely. We are in a Personal Union with them, so obviously I can't just kick their door in. (Even though my Infamy is "only" about 20 right now :rolleyes:) I have a chance to integrate them peacefully though. That might happen randomly when our monarch dies (although it probably won't since my heir is 2 years old...), or I can force them in 50 years. Yeah, right.
    I have 60 Regiments (45 Infantry, 15 Cavalry, no cannons :(). That places me at #2 in the arms race, with only the Ottomans ahead of me.
    My Navy consists of 31 Carracks and 10 Cogs. With that, I'm #4 in the top list, and #2 in the region (the first two are Ming and Hindustan). Even Castille has fewer ships than I do! (Which is, again, very ahistorical!)
    I own most of cosmopolitan France except for a few vassals (Alencon, Armagnac, Foix and Provence). There are two minor thorns in my side (Burgundy who still has three French provinces and Avignon who I couldn't annex because they are a Archbishopric and can't form Royal Marriages!). Plus there are a few provinces still included in the Holy Roman Empire that have French cultures and thus I want for myself. (They have lots of Iron, too!)
    Europe is still pretty much united in religion, except for those pesky Orthodox clowns and the heathen Muslims in the Balkans.

So, with all that in mind, let's start bribing Milan so they don't hate me so much :) You know, 'cause I'm a nice guy, and all! I didn't really want to annex you like a few years ago, no! That was my evil twin, Ecnarf! I'm such a nice guy that when some unknown prick tried to incite rebellions in one of my provinces (and succeeded), the Revolt Risk didn't even increase in the slightest, because of how firm my rule is over the lands and how much my subjects love me! That's how awesome I am!

Castille seemingly doesn't like Brandenburg. They told the Pope he pukes at parties, so His Holiness excommunicated them. (They won't get any communique-s about any parties from now on.) Serves them well, I say!

Now, I really, really wanted to stay out of trouble for a little while, but nooo. Austria had to Burgundy, who is in my Sphere of Influence. They say that Burgundy is at war with their Allies (which might be true, since Burgundy is involved in like 5 wars right now...) and they were forced to declare war. Alright. You want to play rough, I can play rough. The funny thing is that now I suddenly found myself on the same side as the party pooper, Brandenburg. Stupid Burgundy, I told you that you don't have to defend everyone who's name starts with a B! The other funny thing is that our side has more Cavalry than they have Infantry and more Infantry than they have altogether. And Austria is landlocked.

On the next day, my sidekicks joined the fray. With them, our Cavalry forces outnumbered the entire enemy army. Smooth. Then Aachen (you know, the one with the cannons, and the one who sends those spies, I might add) warned me that I shouldn't be so aggressive. Like defending my Sphere of Influence. Right. Anything else? Holland warned me as well. Then the allies of Austria started to join in. Even Luxemburg joined, which was a pretty stupid mistake on their part, because I annexed them a week later. 6 points of Infamy and another warning (now from Trier), but they have a French culture! They belong to me!

austrian_advance.png

King Matthias I von Habsburg brings Elephants through the Alps. He stopped by in Tirol for some skiing.

I won't even try to halt the Austrian advance in Tirol, and let Milan do that instead. If things turn ugly, I have 15000 men nearby. Meanwhile my trusty lackey Alencon takes over in Ferrara. Unfortunatelly Burgundy is at war with Switzerland too, and they can't resist an army of knifes (or knives of the army?), and will probably suffer a humiliating defeat. I'm not really sure if I care who I will have to stomp to get those provinces back, so whatever.

Well, they got away with it rather easy, spending 55 ducats and annulling their treaties with everyone. Meanwhile I decided to lend a hand to Tirol, but my counterattack was halted before I could enter Austrian territory. There's a one province bottleneck at Lienz with like 20000 Austrian soldiers and no way of getting past them. On our end of the bottleneck, there are almost 30000 men though, so they don't have any more chance to get through than we do. So it's time to take a look around elsewhere. They also have Saxony on their side, so I asked around for some Military Access to get there with my "military advisors". (They will advise Saxony to give up before I get really pissed.) With Ferrara occupied, Austria started to send me White Peace offers. Not likely. I took the opportunity to increase my Centralization (and got a Local Pretender in Maine, who was quickly dealt with).

When we reoccupied Tirol, Austria decided it's time to try another attack. Then they suddenly reconsidered. Would you make up your mind already? I want you to come here so I can crush you properly and then mount a counter attack!

Knocking out Saxony was still not enough to convince Austria to give me Ferrara (the province has a University I must have!), so I started to ask around for a few more Military Accesses. My cunning plan to move around Salzburg and attack Linz instead of Lienz worked! It lured away the Austrian forces and in the woods of Linz, my outnumbered army routed the enemy! That might have had something to do with the reinforcements already being in sight, but whatever. The point is that my second army will be able to get ahead of them in Wien, and hopefully I can force a decisive battle. Preferably with my victory.

they_will_be_destroyed.png

The First Stand at Linz.

battle_of_wien.png

The Battle of Wien, soon-to-be resulting in a decisive victory. I hope...

victory_at_wien.png

The Not-So-Decisive Victory at Wien.

Alright, so I didn't manage to wipe them out entirely because they ran away. No matter, we will give pursuit. On to Steiermark! Where, again, my forces were the defenders, giving them a -5 penalty for terrain and -1 penalty for crossing the Danube. Unfortunately the second Battle of Wien was on thier terms because one of their two armies moved a tiny little bit faster (for whatever reason) and arrived a day earlier at the battlefield. Still, since their armies lost all their morale already, they surrendered without a fight! Hurray! In your face, Austria!

Unfortunatelly Brandenburg was knocked out from the fight while I wasn't paying attention, and now Austria had some free forces in Northern Europe and they started bringing them back to defend the homeland. But luckily I managed to hold them off as well, and forced a kinda nice treaty on Austria:

austrian_treaty.png

Not much Prestige, a little Infamy and a new University.

And thus the War of Austrian Intervention ended with a victorious French intervention.

Last edited:
    Issue #11
  • issue_eleven.png

Seriously though, if you haven't voted on the ACA yet, then go now and do it! If you don't, then I can't take responsibility for the kittens that might have... How should I say... certain... accidents... Could you live with that? Could you?

And the person next to you? Has she/he voted already?

EDIT: Funny thing is, if there won't be any more votes today, then practically my vote will decide between a three-way tie and Svip's victory. But such is life :)

EDIT2: Guess what! Svip didn't win this round... Me neither. (Although this is not official yet!) A shame, really. Better luck next time, buddy! :)

EDIT3: Yes, he did, it was a miscalculation on my part :rolleyes: Anyway, the joke still works then :D

Last edited:
    Issue #12
  • Reason IV
    Issue Twelve

"Focusing your investments into one or two fields of technology can give you an important edge." That's exactly why I'm whoring Universities, currently owning four of them, which gives about 2/5 of my entire Government investment. Nice! Although it will be maxi big expensive to build new manufacturies later on, but whatever. Let's worry about that when we get there! "Minting can be good for you." No, I don't think so. Moving on.

So, our war with Austria was a successful one. Time to bring the boy back home. England annexed the Teutonic Order, the World is going mad, we need our defences at the ready! I will also have to make Ferrara and Luxemburg leave the Empire. I still don't want to get into more trouble than I can handle because of them. With that done, I'll focus on gathering 3 Magistrates so I can support the Florentine School. That will lower my Infamy by 0.1 (among other things), which sounds pretty useful.

I got a "Trading in Cloth" modifier for having access to 33.7% of the World's Cloth supply. That could even be interesting if I ever used Mercenaries, which I don't.

I love random events.

random_event.png

Random events can be quite nice sometimes.

Now, the only question is whether I want to anger Castille or not. Bah, who am I kidding? Of course I want! :D Of course I won't start a war over Navarra immediately. Having a Royal Marriage with and a Military Access through Spain would make things rather complicated, resulting in a -6 Stability hit... Their allies (Sweden, Byzantium, Scotland and Smolensk) are less than scary though. I'll revoke the Military Access at least. By the way, Castille currently has 1100.4 Income and 11% Inflation (with a National Bank!). Our techs are comparable although I'm ahead in more areas than they are. They have more soldiers on paper but I have minions! They are also already at war with Poland, Muscowy and the Ukraine.

Meanwhile, Leinster is getting close to uniting Ireland. Interesting. I hope they have some fun.

By the by, I still have a core in Burgundy. Then again, those are French lands, so I won't lose those any time soon.

Then rolls on 1484, with another advancement in Government technology, to level 12. Now I can build Spy Agencies. Not that I want to. I want to invest into Land Tech instead. It is now only one year ahead, so as we roll on to 1485, we might even level up immediately. That would be nice, because of those dandy little cannons! *drool* Oh yeah, and we can attempt another diplo-annexation. This time it will be Armagnac. Two more provinces to boot. Well, there goes my cannons within the year... No matter. They will be mine, soon!

It's also time to move my National Focus. I want to remove those minor cores from all over my country. To do that, I need my NF close by. So I'm moving it to Périgord, that looks like a nice place. Every neighbouring province has non-French cores except for one.

Guess what? By the time I gathered 3 Magistrates, the option to support the Florentine School disappeared. But I'm not someone who gives up that easily. I checked the files :D I will need to have at least 25% Prestige to get that. Now I have 12. Burgundy!

I have 26 Infamy and my limit is 38. Annexing Burgundy would generate 8. So far so good. I'm not sure how much Prestige I will get, but hopefully enough. They have Denmark as an ally but that's hardly a problem. Switzerland warned me, but that's not really a threat either. Brandenburg is the Emperor, but they... Wait just a minute! I checked the Ledger and guess what I saw:

ledger.png

Compare that to my 60000 plus minions!

Castille had it coming for a long time now. They still have Byzantium, Scotland and Smolensk as allies and also the newly re-formed Teutonic Order (of one province). The only problem is that I still have a Royal Marriage with them and I don't want to break that. You got away easy this time, Castille, but once that Marriage is over... You will get your share of trouble, don't you worry! So, Burgundy it is.

war_with_burgundy.png

Sorry, guys, but you look ugly on my map.

Denmark chickened out, but Brandenburg and Switzerland are game. That means we have little under 100,000 soldiers, while they have little over 50,000. Works for me! Switzerland took the lead on their side, which is good, because I can annex Burgundy without interference then go for Brandenburg, make them release a few minors, and then last but not least kick Switzerland in the Alps.

A few days in, Augsburg joined their side. Is that good or bad? Where's Augsburg???

augsburg.png

There you are! Naughty little boy, hiding from me like this! You'll be spanked!

Then Venice joined as well. Things are starting to get out of hand... But not quite yet. Now Bavaria is also against me? When did that happen? Anyway, I didn't even conquere anyone yet, and now I already have 23 Prestige. Great! After annexing Burgundy, my Prestige went up to 34, allowing me to start supporting those Florentines and Switzerland was even offering a White Peace, although that surely was sent before the annexation. I still have 6% of War Score though. Time to kick some more ass!

Brandenburg also wants a White Peace. I don't think so. After some minor ass kicking, the enemy has a total of about 20,000 Cavalry and 40,000 Infantry. We on the other hand have 26,000 Cavalry and 50,000 Infantry. Well... That was a bit better when we started this, wasn't it? Anyway, my losses are only casualties from still existing formations while theirs are lost Regiments! Also note that they had like three new countries joined since the last time I counted our numbers.

By the way, I would like to point out that in practically every battle of this war so far my generals were rolling 0s and 1s while the enemy always seems to roll 8 or 9. Yeah, right. Still, my professional armies carry the battle!

epic_battle_of_tirol.png

See?! Even though I rolled a 7, they rolled a 9 and with -5 because of terrain, it will contribute to very little... French professionalism! I choose you!

peace_deals.png

Here are the peace deals I negotiated with the defeated enemies. They were humiliated by being offered such generous proposals!

In December, 1485, I finally recieved my cores on Brittany. I was looking forward to those for a long time now! :) And in July, 1486, I reached level 12 in Land Technology! Come to me my little cannons!

So, with that war I'm at 93 Prestige and I had some peace at last. Until the August of 1487, that is, when my old king died and since his legitimate son, Louis de Ávalos is only 9 years old, I got a Regency. Not good, especially because Milan got its own king again. I have a Casus Belli against them but I can't use it with a Regency! Well, I guess I have to wait for my Infamy to go down anyway... And now Austria is caching in on my success against Branbenburg and Venice by taking over their provinces in Italy! Not good!

In January 1488, I reached Land Technology 13. (I'm currently spending my entire budget on Land Tech.) With this I got access to the Culverin (which is vastly superior to the earlier Large Cast Bronze Mortar) and the Reformed Galloglaigh Infantry (which is damn hard to spell). And now I'm ahead of Aachen in Land Tech by one level, and 2-3 levels ahead of most Europeans! It's such a shame to have such fine armies and not being able to use them...

Something strange must be going on. In November, 1488, I reached Land Technology 14. This gave no new advantages, but still. The historical years must be really close together here or I don't know...

Anyway, in December, 1490, England made the mistake of underestimating my Regency Council and attacked Tyrone, which is in my Sphere of Influence. If you are interested in how I will kick their ass, come back next time!

Last edited:
    Issue #13
  • Reason IV
    Issue Thirteen

"A protracted war could get you in over your head. Other rivals could see this as an opportunity to strike." Well, they shouldn't strike, because then they won't get payed. "Ships in port deter pirates and blah blah blah." I couldn't write that one down. The second tip always goes away too quickly...

Anyway, we start this issue at war with England. I actually had to look back at the previous issue because I had no idea how I got into a war as a Regency Council. I was attacked! Can you imagine?! The nerves of those pesky English... Well, it wasn't me that was attacked, it was actually Tyrone (the nickname of Ulster), but they were in my Sphere of Influence, so that means I'm also at war. So, let's assess the situation, shall we?

My enemies are England, Scotland and Anhalt. Where's Anhalt anyway? Ah, there you are, in the middle of Germany. Man, there are sooo many minor states there! I almost wish Germany would unify so it would be easier to look through. Not quite, but almost. The total amount of enemy forces is around 43,000, with 30,000 of that being Infantry. The English also built up their Navy quite a bit since the last time I saw them, they have 26 Big Ships and 20 Transports. I'll have to bring my whole fleet of 31 Big Ships to take care of them! My buddies quickly came to my aid, bringing up our combined strength from Spectacularly Great to Immensely Awesome. They will be able to take care of Anhalt.

war_with_england.png

England looks like a bottleopener...

On to goals. I have several aims in this war.
    1. I want to survive. I have a Regencay Council after all, that is supposed to be bad, isn't it?
    2. I want Tyrone to survive as well. Revenge is sweet, but avoiding the need for revenge is somewhat better.
    3. I want to gain Meath for Tyrone. Having a newly formed Ireland as my lacky would be nice.
    4. I want to crush the English Navy. They have almost as many Big Ships as I do. That can't be good.
    5. I want to... Now bare with me... Annex Scotland. The reason for this, is that they only have three provinces now, England took the other three in their last war. I want to take those three from England as well, then release Scotland as a whole, and as my vassal.

This last goal seems a bit too ambitious even to me, because I already have 28 Infamy and my limit is around 33. If I do any of those two, I will definitely go over the top. Six provinces in total would be 24 Infamy. That's a lot. So, it will only be worth it if releasing back those six provinces reduces my Infamy with at least as much. Of which I'm not sure at all. On the other hand, simply vassaling Scotland would already be 10 Infamy, so I'm not sure I have any better options to give me something but not go over the limit. So, whatever. If it reduces less, then we'll be in for a ride I guess :D

As expected, the 5,000 Cannons help immensely with sieges. With 10,000 Infantry and 5,000 Cannons, I assaulted and captured Kent in like 5 days! Now, on to London! They were much more resilient and reduced my Morale in the first try, while only suffering some 1,500 losses from their 2,000 men Garrison. But it was the 27th of April already, so in early May, they fell, too. 21 days of Siege overall. Meanwhile the English thought it would be a good idea to land in Malta. I still had 5,000 lads there though with a somewhat competent General. They sent 15,000 men along with their King...

siege_of_malta.png

The siege of Malta was long, bloody, and completely inconsequential.

They've won. 5,000 fine French soldiers dead, bringing only a mere 2,000 with them. Still, that means that half of the English Army is in Malta, and I'll make sure they can't get back into their Home Islands to do any actual damage! By the way, the other half is in Meath...

battle_of_lands_end.png

The two Navies fought their first battle in this war at Land's End. Despite the odds, the English prevailed. Probably because of their Superior Seamenship. Insert immature joke here.

Then disaster struck:

disaster.png

This is what you get for leaving your Army entirely without Morale...

So... That sucks. Now I'll have to rebuild those units from scratch. Not impossible, I can even afford it, but it will take time. They were also easy to beat with my other Armies, but... Just argh... I almost felt like reloading. Must! Resist! Cheating!

On November 1st, 1491, I reached Land Tech level 15. That means Small Cast Iron Cannons and Large Cast Iron Cannons! Also +0.05 Land Morale and Weapons Manufactory. I chose the Large Cast Iron Cannon because when it comes to Cannons the bigger the better! :D It's funny that the flavour text says that an example of this is a cannon made in 1453, while the tech enabling it has a historical year of 1502. I mean what the hell? And I'm still three techs away from getting guns to my Infantry... By the way, did you know that level 17 enables Regimental Camps, and level 19 also enables Regimental Camps? How convinient :p

Now back to that Weapons Manufactory thing. It would cost me 1235 gold to build a new Manufactory, since I already have like a ton of Universities. But it would give me +5 Land Investment, so it looks like a good idea. So, where should I put it? Well, apparently it should go into a province with either Iron or Bronze, because that would double it's efficiency in terms of gold production. Which is good. That leaves three suitable places: Périgorod, Bourbon and Auvergne. I decided Bourbon, because that's pretty much in the middle of my country, so it's well defended. Of course I don't have the necessary funds right now, but when I will, I'll certainly build one there.

My goal of keeping Tyrone alive didn't work. Not that it matters, I can make them be released when I beat the English! Unfortunatelly their Navy is already too strong for me, it seems. And they keep stealing my ships, too, the bastards... Building new ships is sooo expensive :(

And then I realized that Scotland is the lesser party in a Personal Union. That changes things a tiny little bit... I could still demand those three Scotish provinces from England, but then I could only sell them back to Scotland, which would hardly be worth the effort and Infamy, since that wouldn't reduce it. At the moment I have no hope of destroying the Royal Navy either. So, I'll be generous this time and make peace with them on the following terms:

english_peace.png

This war already cost me 10,000 Infantry, 5,000 Cannons and also a handful of ships! It won't get any better anyway.

Just after the war was over, my new King came of age and was crowned as Louis XII de Ávalos. That's still a pretty non-French dinasty, but whatever. The important thing is that he has a 9 in Military! That's pretty awesome, isn't it? And also 8 in Administration. His Diplomacy is crap (3), but who cares about Diplomacy when you have level 15 Land Tech?! Ah, yeah, Infamy. The Infamy Limit is still around 33 and I still have 27. Aaww...

In January 1493, I have about 1000 gold, so I'm not that far from starting that Weapons Manufactury. But now I can't really spend any money on anything for two years. I cut back on military spending, too. Then to make things potentially a bit more complicated, the new Pope Excommunicated my new buddy, Catalunya. That's not very nice! By the way, I still have that Casus Belli against Castille! Maybe I should do something about it! Again, the main problem is their Navy. It consists of 42 Big Ships plus 20 Transports. On the other hand, we have a common Land border, so that's not necessarely a problem. They also have a Regency Council and somewhat less forces than I do. Their allies, the Teutonic Order and Byzantium are one province minors, while Smolensk has a whopping two provinces. Alright, men! let's prepare for another war! The declaration of war was sent on November 24th, 1493.

war_with_castille.png

Mmmmhh. I love the smell of Spain in the morning.

Did I mention how much I hate the large dice size in this game? The Castillians always roll like 8-9 and I get 2-3. I win the battles, but they cost me dearly. Of course terrain and cutting off their retreating forces can help.

terrain.png

Rock beats dice.

After a few months of fighting, the Castilian forces melted down to about 9,000 Infantry and 9,000 Cavalry scattered all around their colonial empire. Norway, Iceland, Tunisia, Lithuania. You know, the usual. Oh, yeah, and that already includes the Teutonic, Byzantian and Smolenskian forces as well! Anyway, Morocco thought it would be a good time to start a Jihad against Castille. And I don't blame them either. After all, Castille holds three of their cores.

In January, 1495, I finally started building that Weapons Manufactury in Bourbon. It will take five years, but it will be awesome when it's done! Also, with my new King, it costed me a lot less than I first thought! 8 Administration for the win!

The war with Castille went pretty well. Their Navy prevented me from taking over their "colonies", but I couldn't really do anything with them anyway, since they are not actual colonies, only annexed lands from other civilized people. The best I could do is liberate some of them. Five new lackeys, yeah! The 100 gold and the renounced cores are much less interesting. I didn't ask for Navarra on purpose. That core will be useful later on *evil smile*

take_that_spain.png

Eat my peace, Castille!

And this is a wonderful opportunity to annex Alencon. To be honest, they were starting to get on my nerves. Every time I wage a war with some minor, they always demand that I give them all my money and end the vassalization of Alencon, or else they will make me beat them into a pulp.

Now, with Castille considerabely weakened, some of the others started to get their confidence back. Croatia and Lithuania declared war on them to reclaim their lost territories. Good luck, guys!

Anyway, where were we? Oh, yes. My current mission. Conquering Milan. I believe their current King is not really legitimate, we should restore our Personal Union. Problem is, they are allied with the Pope. I don't want to anger the Pope... I think I'll just bribe them for now.

england_again.png

Can't you just leave my stuff alone?!

Now, this is an interesting situation. I have a truce with England for another six months or so, but they attacked my Sphere of Influence again. If I join the war, will I recieve the -5 Stability loss? That would be just cruel! I clicked on Accept, and fortunatelly, that was not the case. And this time, the English didn't concentrate all their Navy into a single, huge fleet. I managed to sink 4 of their Big Ships within a week! Unfortunately the rest of their Navy was operating in two formations but together at all times. Thanks to their Superior Seamenship (must... resist...), a battle with comparable numbers would result in a decisive defeat for me. I need to outnumber them!

In September, 1497, I reached Land Tech level 16. That gave +0.25 Morale (with that, my Armies can have up to 5.22!) and I can build level 2 Forts. Not that I really want to... Anyway, having such high Land Tech didn't help against the Royal Navy:

oh_my.png

Oh sh...

Last edited:
    Issue #14
  • Reason IV
    Issue Fourteen

"Hover your mouse over almost any icon to get useful information." Like "We can become the Defender of the Faith!" or the endless list of disputed successions I can never do anything about. Useful indeed. "Whatch your infamy. When it gets too high, it's bad for you." Well, more or less. These tips disappear very fast when I load up my save!

Well. I lost my entire Navy in a single engagement at the end of the last issue. I guess that is the point where most people would rage-quit never to return. Then again, most people are idiots :D I'm already building five Cogs to replace my losses! Now I only need to somehow avoid getting my units killed over in England. And it would be nice to force a vassalisation on Scotland, too, to have a staging area for later wars with England. I have absolutely no chance to get through their Navy while at war... So, I order my force of about 12,000 Frenchmen to march North.

masterplan.png

Observe my masterplan! Also observe that Spain is getting kicked out of Norway by Polotsk and from Lithuania by Poland.

scotland_surrenders.png

Subdueing Scotland was easy, but the war was far from over.

Meanwhile, England had most of their forces in Ireland and they annexed Leinster, which now included Munster as well. And I disapprove. The rest of their armies were in Poland, or more precisely in Mazovia, where they siezed three more provincves for their East Prussia. What the heck are they doing there anyway?! Then England also landed on Malta again. I didn't have anyone there this time, only the garrison.

After the war against Castille, I forced them to release Fez, who now asked for my help against Morocco. And had it not for my other war with England, I would have gladly sent troops for one infidel to kill the other, but in these circumstances all I could do is wish them luck. I joined the war of course to avoid the consequences of dishonouring an alliance, but I didn't lift a finger after that.

This is more or less the point where the really ugly things started. The Papal States allied with England and they joined our war which is a problem because I don't want to be on bad terms with the Pope. That's bad for you. On the other hand, taking lands from the Pope might be enough to push the balance my way in the war score. I still have lots of forces in Europe!

Fez didn't last long against Morocco, but that was to be expected. I'll take care of them later. My current problem is that I can't bring reinforcements into England and obviously the British can. And I need Scotland, I can't let them fall! And then the real fun began (some fifteen years early, mind you!):

reformation.png

Let's just pretend it never happened...

I'm not yet sure how I want to react to that. Naples is relatively far from my lands, so I don't think the plague will spread to France too fast, but I'm not entirely sure how the system works in the first place. I'll worry about it when I get infected.

Well, it didn't really take too long. Caux was first. Problem is, my Missionary would have about -10% chance to convert the locals. That's not really good. The reason for that is a -20% penalty from a modifier that will last for 25 years.

In the end, the Pope's intervention worked to my advantage, because after crushing their new allies, England accepted my rather harsh peace treaty:

english_peace.png

So, I managed to get Leinster back as well as Northumberland and also removed two English cores. That's pretty good considering that I would have lost the war if it wasn't for the Pope's intervention against me...

Wait a minute... They actually declined?! Hey! I though that little note at the lower edge of the window is reliable! Crap... Anyway, they accepted my next proposal from which I removed the two cores and added 50 Gold as tribute. (Meaning that they kept those two cores and I got 50 Gold.) So, I have a metric ton of minions and I also have a foothold on the British Isles. Smooth. I also supported some revolts in Scotland. Those poor lads deserve their lands back! Also after a considerable amount of nothing happening except for their armies getting destroyed, Morocco asked for a White Peace. I accepted because I'm such a nice guy.

So, peace at last. The Reformation goes rather slowly by the way. There are two Protestant provinces in Naples, one in France and another in Denmark, but that's it. The Sunni and Orthodox people are still the greatest threat.

religion.png

The Reformation spready on the Unholy Sea.

In August, 1501, I reached level 10 in Naval tech, enabling the Barque, which is the first Light Ship. I'm not yet sure if I want to build them though. They don't really look that great. They are cheap, but weak, too.

By the end of 1501, all three provinces of Naples are Protestant and Saxe-Lauenburg also adopts the idea. I'm starting to feel uneasy. Then Liége gets infected. And Östergötland in Sweden, too. Then Vermandois. Is there a special trigger that makes the event more likely for the player or what?! Oh, I just realized that there are two versions now: Protestant and Reformed. Hmm. Anyway, I guess I will enact the Edict of Nantes. It will fix the problem very quickly. Although I will need to have at least three provinces from both of these new versions first. I also pass the Act of Uniformity while I'm at it. It only gives bonuses (+0.4 Missionary, -8% Missionary cost), so I don't see any reason why not do it.

Meanwhile the revolts supported by me in Northern Scotland are going nicely. Both the Highlands and Aberdeen are controlled by Scotish Patriots and England is quite busy fighting the Ottomans for whatever reason. Who have taken over London by the way.

In late 1502, Morea asked me to help them with their war against Crete. Funny. First of all, why would I want to help in an offensive war when it costs me 3 Stability? Second of all, why do you need my help against Crete in the first place?! You can go eat the soup you cooked for yourself.

By February, 1503, the Reformation and Protestantism has spread to many corners of Europe, and I already have two provinces of both types. One more to go from each and I can get this problem behind me for good.

The August of 1503 brings level 17 of Land Technology, along with yet another +0.25 Morale and the ability to build Regimental Camps. A fairly useless building at this point, but it is required for the last two of the line and those can be very effective with +5000 Manpower, +5 Force Limit, -30% Recruitment time and another +30% Manpower! And in September, I got my third Reformed province, allowing me to enact the Edict of Nantes. Or at least I should be...

nantes.png

Did I miss something?...

So, I went over to the files and checked what's what. Turns out that's a France-only decision. Didn't know that :) Anyway, the trigger should definitely be true by now. I have 3 of both, for crying out loud! Anyway, a few weaks later I got another Reformed province and then the decision became available. I took it immediately. Now my people can have whatever faith they might fancy, I couldn't care less :D

I've been warned multiple times recently. So, how about I warn someone else for a change? Like England! Time to train some more soldiers and send them over to Scotland! I still won't be able to threaten them over the Sea, but I sure as hell beat them on land.

In January 1506, I'm notified about the Council of Skara, which allows the Counter-Revolution. But that's already taken care of. Instead I diplo-annexed Provence. There are only two minors in France not accounted for now: Avignon and Foix. I really need a Casus Belli against Avignon soon! It's kinda sad that the claims of my vassals are not valid Casus Bellis for me. I could have used Provence's claim on Avignon earlier and Scotland's claims on England now. But oh, well. England has the "Conquer Ireland" mission right now, so it seemed like a good idea to extend my Sphere of Influence over the three current Irish minors. Not sure if it will achieve anything or not though except for sinking my Prestige to abysmal levels. Bah, whatever.

In late 1506 when I got another slider move, I choose Innovative for the Tech cost reduction. I can live with the penalties.

innovative.png

Nice! I got a level 2 Scientist with a bonus to Production which I don't really care about, but still. At least it was not a Stability drop!

With that slider move, a new decision became available: the School Establishment Act. It slightly increases Build Cost and Production Efficiency and slightly decreases Tax and Stability Cost. I chose to take it for two reasons. First, it would annoy the hell out of me if I left the icon there. Second, the small reduction in Stability Cost helps offset the penalties I get from Innovative and I have enough income to not worry about it. And the increased Production Efficiency could even make up for the tax income reduction! There's a new Decision after that, the Education Act. This would give yet another Innovative point, some yearly Prestige and 5% discount on Tech costs! That's really nice! The catch is a 2 points reduction on the Infamy limit. That's like 7-8%, so not that small actually. But still, it would worth it. Problem is, I would need a level 5 Statesman for this, which is kinda hard to come by... Then again, I could commission some paintings from my two yearly Magistrates and it would give enough Cultural Tradition for a good Statesman in a couple of years. Sounds like a plan!

I started sending spies to Avignon. I hoped that with Provence gone, the Provencan core would make some Patriots or Nationalists possible, but with Avignon also having a core there, it was out of the question. But the Reformation has spread there already, which gave me the required leverage. Then there's this little border dispute with Milan. They have a lot of buddies though, so I won't attack them yet.

By the way, I'm really glad that I had the Edict of Nantes because Protestantism just reached Ilé-de-France... In a short few years it managed to became quite widespread. Lucky me.

religion_1508.png

Hopefully I won't get into trouble because of this later on...

Last edited:
    Issue #15
  • Reason IV
    Issue Fifteen

"You need to be Kampaku before caliming the title of Shogun." Yeah, I didn't manage to become Kampaku since the last time I recieved that wonderful piece of advice. "You can right-click a slider to lock it in position." Yeah, right. I already made a joke about this one, too, so let's move on, shall we?

In case you don't remember (and quite honestly, why would you?), last time we left off with Europe being in Religious turmoil and me enacting the Edict of Nantes, saving me a lot of trouble. Although I was notified since then (thanks again to Malurous for spoiling what little fun this game could provide...) that the problems are not caused on the provincial level but by country events later on. Alright. I'll face them when they come. For now, let's get back to our regular activity of harrassing England. Or Castille. Or anyone, for that matter!

Well, from the usual victims of my abuse, Castille is the most likely one at the moment, since I still have a core on Navarra. The recent war with them made sure that the core will remain for another 40 years from now, so it's not really that urgent. The other country I have a Casus Belli against is Milan, which is allied with Baden, Brunswick, Wurtenberg and the Papal State. Plus they are in the HRE, so Austria will intervene. And Switzerland might want to intervene as well, since I'm warned by them. Which is funny by the way, because they can't intervene in a war against Castille. I don't get it, but whatever.

From the two, a war with Milan could fulfill my current mission (which is long overdue now if you ask me), and a war with Castille could get Norway, Croatia and Ragusa liberated. Castille has around 20.000 men now, but Austria (the supporter of Milan) is rather strong with 69.000 men at least. By the way, the only other country that fields any Artillery right now is Switzerland, with 1.000. I believe the logical choice in this case is Castille. Unfortunatelly 30.000 of my lads are stationed in Scotland, so I don't yet have sufficient forces to wage an offensive war against Castille while still being able to defend against a sneak attack from who knows what, so I'll build up my forces to 100.000 first. My Reformed Galloglaigh Infantrymen are trained for 6.6 Gold in 39 days. Quite impressive, if you ask me. Let's build 15.000 more of those! That will be some 100 Gold and a year and a half all together in Ilé-de-France. Having those Armories, Training Fields and Barracks is pretty neat, huh? I'll build five more Large Cast Iron Cannons in Languedoc once the Carracks are finished there. That will take a little more time I'm afraid.

And it was a wise choice to do indeed. England declared war on the recently created Northumberland (what a silly name is that anyway?), giving me a fine opportunity to cause damage to them. Unfortunatelly they are allied with Austria and a few other countries, which might prove to be a problem later on, but for now, I'm optimistic.

And it wend rather well, too, until February of 1510. We held all of Scotland and marched into England as well, down to Yorkshire and Lancashire, beating the English armies along the way (one of them had like 19.000 men, too!). Then Austria decided to join the party. How inconvinient. By this time, half of the newly trained 20.000 men were already combat-ready and I also had a 22 strong main fleet. Which wouldn't do squat if not for the fragmented Royal Navy. I always stress that the key to naval warfare is force concentration!

Anyway, after a rather short skirmish, destroying 20.000 Austrian soldiers, they offered a White Peace. The offer was definitely worth considering, but not accepting. They wanted this.

And guess what! England sunk my Navy again!

damn_you.png

First, I built a Navy. It sank into the ocean. So I built a second one. That sank into the ocean. I built a third. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the ocean...

Oh, well. A perfect time for Religious Civil Disorder! So, I will get a nasty penalty on both the True Faith and the Heretics. Not good. Then I can choose between losing a point of Stability or 6 Heretic revolters. The later seems like the smaller problem, but I believe there will be long-term consequences as well. I don't know... I'll take the Stability hit, hopefully I can weather it out!

Ohm... Hello? Why didn't I get the Stability hit? Anyone there? Bah, whatever. I can live without it I guess. Hopefully this won't turn out to be a major bug or something... Anyway, Northumberland ended the war with England with them renouncing their core on the province. That's cool, one less goal for me to pursue. And with that, I was actually able to force my own terms on the English! Smooth!

latest_english_peace.png

It's unfair that I suffer the Infamy hit for provinces that go to Scotland when they even have cores on them, but what the hell...

So, we are at peace again, and Scotland is almost completely restored!

scotland.png

Have no fear, my faithful minion, we will get your Aberdeen back!

But first, my Navy. I should build a new one! But this one will be made of Caravels, not Carracks! A small step for my Navy, but a giant leap for... Comedic effect?

Anyway, we are at peace again. Oh, yeah, I wanted to train a good Army Reformer, and now I'm spending my hard earned Magistrates on Promoting Cultural Unity! Such a waste! I should Introduce my Heir instead! Which costs no Magistrates and gives +2 Cultural Tradition per year for four years! Awesome! And it only costs some money and a Diplomat. This new Heir is crap though... 5 Administration, 5 Diplomacy and 3 Military. Obviously an inbred.

In March, 1512, I finally reached Land Technology Level 18, bringing the first actual gunpowder infantry type, with a new sprite! I have the choice between three types: the Free Shooters, the Mauricians and the Tercio. Interetingly enough, the Free Shooters don't actually shoot, only defend against fire damage. The Mauricians supposedly form multiple ranks so the rear lines can reload while the front line fires. But this is only flavour text with little actual impact. They are a bit more offensive than the Tercio. I chose the Tercio in the end because their defensive advantage exceeded their offensive disadvantage. Well, they had the same sum of scores, but a well-round defence is still important at this stage, while a concentrated fire attack will not be useful for long. And in a few years, I will have enough Cultural Tradition to get a very good Army Reformer, too!

In July, 1512, I recieved cores on former Savoy. Good. I intend to expand my territory in that direction even further in the future. Oh, and Austria became Dishonourable Scum. Well, being the Holy Roman Emperor has its disadvantages I guess. You could say power corrupts.

I recieved a new event, "Empty Words". As I suspected earlier, the choice I made back then was not only a short-term one. I will go with "Issue a new edict" now, costing me 40 Gold (I'm literally swimming in money...) and theoretically giving one point of Stability, which I won't get unfortunatelly, because I'm at max now and I don't have any actions at the moment that would change that. So far so good. I hope that this is not a dead end with a loop though...

By the way, I almost forgot. I wanted to declare war on Castille! They are still allied with Byzantium (bwahahaha) and the Papal State (buhuhuhu). I called my allies into the war right away, no reason to waste any time with that. All countries got involved on both sides. Byzantium is a one province minor faaaaar away, the Papal State has like 9.000 men altogether and Castille has a little over 40.000. They rule the seas, but that's hardly a surprise or a problem. I have clear land connections to the two stronger ones and Byzantium is completely irrelevant. I sent 30.000 men to the Papal State (I'm considering taking Romagna, a Papal province with a University) and 35.000 to Castille. I have both numerical and technological superiority.

Gunpowder infantry makes sieges insanely easy... I almost feel like cheating. By February, 1513, I completely eradicated the Papal armies and most of the country was under my control. By early March, I took Rome, putting an end to all Papal resistance. They were to secede Romagna, release two minors and renounce their treaties with a current enemy (Castille) and a future one (Milan). Plus 150 Gold for good measure. Now back to Castille.

papal_peace.png

How cool would the Pope as my Vassal be, I wonder...

Pisa got a strange idea and started a war against the Pope after his humiliating defeat. I don't say I blame them, but I do say that they have a juicy little University I would like to annex sooner or later. But not yet.

Meanwhile, Granada brokered a peace with Castille, taking Murcia and forcing Castille to renounce the claims on Almería and Granada. It is somewhat inconvinent, but in the large scheme, mostly inconsequential. In January, 1514, after losing all of their home territory, Castille was ready to give in to my demands.

spliting_up_castille.png

No more Castillean Norway or Croatia. Or Ragusa, whatever that is... And I still have my Casus Belli against Castille. Isn't that wonderful? :D

By the way, how long will that siege of Avignon last?! Come on, give up already! Oh, yeah. That's a level 3 Fort. (Where the hell did they get that?!)

So, what now? I just checked the Trade map mode and I noticed that I suck at trade. Big surprise. There's one major reason for that: I'm a Mercantilist and there are CoTs not under my control. How about taking them, then? ;) For example, there's this nice little CoT in Venezia, with a total trade value of over 1600 Gold. Now, of course I would have absolutely no chance to get a share from that, unless the province was mine. But how could I get that province? Through war, of course! So I warned Venice not to be naughty, or else. Unfortunatelly it is very unlikely that they will be naughty, so I'm not convinced that this was of any use. Still, it was something.

Question. Why would Castille ask for Military Access right after I beat the crap out of them? No, let me rephase the question. Why on Earth would I give them Military Access?... Well, I won't.

In August, 1515, through the wise and continuous commissioning of different paintings, I reach 100% Cultural Tradition. Which I use to get a level 5 Statesman. Yes, I know, I wanted an Army Reformer, but in the meantime I got a level 4 of that from one of my provinces, so the Statesman guy became more urgent. Ohm... Now I remember, I actually wanted a level 5 Statesman to pass the Education Act... How clever of me :D Now, the problem is that this will lower my Infamy limit to 31, and I have 30.4 Infamy right now. Oh, well. A life without risks is a boring one I say! :laugh:

This act had the fortunate side effect of triggering two tech advancements at once. Well, at the start of the next month, anyway. One of the two was Government, allowing a new National Idea! Now, what should it be? I still don't want to colonize (there's too much work to be done in Europe, policing a whole continent and all), and even though this whole Reformation business is an annoyance, I don't really want to get Culture Ideas. The State line is rather weak as well, the only one I would want I already have (Bureaucracy). I was considering Superior Seamenship (still... must... resist...) and Grand Navy. I can have 41 ships now, with a Grand Navy I could have 82. But that wouldn't really help too much if the English sink the entire Navy in a single battle again! More Fleet Morale would be a bit better I guess. Then again, with my vassal in Scotland, I can completely circumvent the Royal Navy anyway, so why would I want to worry about a Navy of my own at all? So, after much consideration, I decided to take Church Attendance Duty. +5% Papal Influence won't do much with the Infamy I have, but the -33% Stability Cost reduction could help quite a lot if I start declaring unjustified wars. Which I do plan on doing in the not so far future.

And then there was the annexation of Foix, in March, 1516. It would have given me anoter point of Infamy, which I couldn't afford to get, so I decided to postpone that. Meanwhile, basically everyone started to gang up on Austria, and I decided why not get on the bang wagon myself!

austria_at_war.png

Dishonourable Scum much?

austria_peace.png

The war was short but decisive.

My demands weren't too much, really. One single province that was a mere vassal, not even Austrian land anyway. With a University ;) This brought up my Infamy to 30.94 though, only 0.06 below my limit. Time to lay low for a while. Which will be pretty hard, being Excommunicated! Stupid Pope! I'll have my revenge!

The following two years were rather quiet, until Friesland decided to mess with Norway. Or something like that, I didn't really pay attention, the point is that now I can help out my Norwegien buddies, which I will do of course. Right after annexing Foix! With this, France is almost complete! And with that, Lorraine and Milan declared War on me on the grounds that I'm excommunicated and they don't like my kind around here. Come on, guys, this is stupid! I will beat you! Next time...

Last edited:
    Issue #16
  • Reason IV
    Issue Sixteen

Reciting the hints at the start is getting old and we are running out of new ones at an alarming rate anyway so I'll drop that gag now.

Sooo. Two weeks of hiatus between updates has the unfortunate side effect of me forgetting completely what I was doing and why. Now, since the current reason to hate this game is a-historicity, let's take a look at how things stand as of now, 18th of September in 1518. According to Wikipedia, this year is notable for two main events: the start of the slave trade from Africa (and in fact I already know two provinces in Africa that is producing slaves mostly) and the Dancing Plague of 1518 in Strasbourg, in which many people died from constant dancing. But this important event is not even mentioned in the game! An outrage! How can you claim this is a historical game? The hypocrats...

In other news, I'm being at war with Lorraine, Milan and Friesland. All of these are seperate wars and all from different causes. Milan and Lorraine attacked me because I'm excommunicated and Friesland attacked Norway (who is protected by me) because they are stupid. They have some not-so-important allies as well. Meanwhile I'm constantly bribing the Pope to stop this excommunication-madness.

The war with Milan ended quickly but because of my insanely high Infamy, all I could ask for was them renouncing their cores in my lands. Then I suddenly ralized that there's a Russia in the picture now! That must have been Novgorod. They were growing for quite a while now. Good for them, but that's really not my concern at the moment. Anyway, Lorraine was also pretty easy to convince that they should invest some of their money in French Chemistry.

lorraine_peace.png

Lorraine. Because you're worth it. (Well, this joke works much better in Hungarian... Sorry.)

So now we only have Friesland left. But to be honest, I don't really care about that. They are alone and at war with not only me but also Holland. They didn't last long and offered a white peace. Next time they won't get away with it so easily.

In the meantime, colonization is progressing very well. Or at least I imagine it does because I myself don't have the idea required to colonize. Nor do I want to get it. Or more precisely, I don't have the idea to discover new territories but if they reach me before they are colonized, I could give it a shot... So I decided to send some duded to Sierra Leone. Sounds like a nice enough place with 9000 natives with 9 Aggressiveness and 4 Ferocity. Ah, what the heck! Let's do it! I'll build a few transport ships too, so I can get some Infantry there. I also send some to Trarza (there are only 5000 Natives of the same temperament over there).

When the time comes (in September, 1519), I move one step closer to Innovative, losing one point of Stability. Could have been worse I guess.

The first attempt to colonize Sierra Leone was a success! Now I have 99 people paying taxes to me there! Well, not really, they don't actually pay taxes, they pay tariffs, but whatever. Anyway, let's keep sending more guys there! And gals as well. I don't want a full-male colony... Pfewh!

The second attempt at Sierra Leone destroyed the first wave. How unfortunate. But that won't stop me! We will colonize! Some. Actually, it really won't be that much, since my two current colonies are separated by Mali and they can't really prosper and grow in such environment. I may have to teach those tribal infidels a lesson of Imperialistic French!

Well, other than this small colonizing plot, nothing really happened for a very long time (except for reaching level 19 in Land and level 15 in Naval technology and like a metric shitload of Nationalist Sentiment events...), although I had to shoot some African Spearmen in Trarza at one point, until December 1522, when, as a Christmas present, my faithful vassal and freshly appointed Papal Controller Tyrone arranged for my Excommunicated status to be lifted. Hurray! On the next day they Excommunicated Cornwall instead. Good! I'll make them my next vassal! All of my minions joined in this war except for Ragusa, but I don't really care about them. The campaign was rather short, lasting only about a month and with them being Excommunicated, it only cost me 1 Infamy to Vassalize them. Well done!

By the way, Sierra Leone turned out to be a Slave producing province as well. Also, in March, 1523, I reached Trade level 15, allowing me to get Monopolies! Awesome! As a reminder, I have three Centers of Trade and I'm relatively Merchantilistic, so I have a very good compete chance in my own CoTs. And on 16th of August, 1523, I gained my very first trade monopoly in Ile-de-France. The result was a bit underwhelming though. I really expected a huge leap in trade income but it was only about 25%. Not small by any means but not that big either. Half a year later I had a monopoly in all three of my CoTs but of course Trade was still a negligible fraction of my income.

So, about those colonies. I want them connected, but Mali is in the way. I would at least two coastal provinces from them. They are allied with Algiers, Khorasan and Songhai (I don't even know where the later two are...) and the Ottomans might get upset if I pick on Sunnites. Using the Holy War Casus Belli looks like a better idea, because it gives only 1/4 Infamy for provinces while Tribal Conquest gives 1/2. But first I need to bring some forces there. 15.000 Soldiers should be enough against their 44.000.

Meanwhile, in March, 1524, I reached level 18 in Government tech, gaining access to the Administrative Monarchy. Judging strictly by the direct bonuses, it looks like a good idea. +0.25 Morale from the Empire is not that great now that I have over 5.5 and Administrative Monarchy gives more Magistrates as well (which is always good for a huge empire like mine), plus there's the +10% Production Efficiency, but there's more to the government type than this. Empire has a somewhat stricter restriction on Free Subjects vs. Serfdom, and quite frankly if I had the option, I would go for more free subjects, so that's also a positive. In the end, I guess I'll go for the Constitutional Monarchy or maybe a Constitutional Republic even later. For now, I'll take the Administrative Monarchy. It might cause problems with events and whatnot but I can't predict that. (Nor do I want to. Why should I know about potential events that might happen to me later on in advance?!)

I'm starting to think that there might be something wrong. I literally had about 20 Nationalist Sentiment events since I started playing this session. Yes, my Infamy is quite high but it is under the limit! Is there a good reason why I should get these? I really don't think I should! Wait, what?! No, my Infamy is actually higher than my limit! When did that happen?! Probably when I changed the government type... Oh sh... Well, in that case I won't start a war yet. And thus came another long period of nothing interesting happening. Do you start to see a pattern here?

In November, 1524, I suddenly discovered the entire Indian Ocean and half of the Pacific, too! Nice! Not that I want to do anything there, though. Not yet, at least.

Actually, that long period of nothing interesting happening lasted only a few months, because in June, 1525, England declared war on Leinster. I can't let that happen now, can I? I answered their call to arms. Let's roll!

england_war.png

Hey, Eastern Prussia, you've got some England on you!

Flanders chose this moment to start "punishing" me for being Dishonourable Scum. And so did Tuscany. And Switzerland. And Lorraine. That doesn't sound good... The worst part is that my minions only wanted to help me in one war at a time so most of them didn't join in the later ones.

punitive_war.png

And all this happened because I answered a Call to Arms. What's not to love?

Tuscany and Flanders were easy to beat, Switzerland took a bit longer. In the meantime, Cologne and Trier joined the fun, too! England accepted to release Lithuania and revoke some cores, they even gave me some money. Meanwhile I had to exterminate all the natives in both of my growing colonies because my armies were attacked. How unfortunate. What's even more unfortunate is that their dead spirits still haunt the place, giving -22.5% to population growth from their aggressiveness, even though there are 0 of them left... (Well, alright, the penalty went away at the end of the month :p)

But in the end, I managed to defeat all the on-going punitive wars, because that's how hard-core I am! So here's a map of France and Europe in general in July, 1527:

end_map.png

Looks exactly like in the history books, right? Even the often overlooked Algerian concessions in the Ukraine are represented!

Now, this much excitement is enough for one weekend I guess. The punitive wars themselves weren't insanely hard but getting events that increase the revolt risk by 15% in provinces over and over again are driving me nuts! And what if I get DoWed by someone who actually has a half-decent army? In conclusion, being above the Infamy Limit is not a good idea. Don't try it at home.

Last edited:
    Issue #17
  • Reason IV
    Issue Seventeen

europe_1527.png

Behold the chaos of Europe in the Renaissance!

It's July 1527. By this time, the Ottomans should have defeated Hungary and be threatening the whole of Eastern Europe. Instead we have a Ukraine on the border of Silesia, Morocco owning half of Libya, Sweden owning Finland and Russia being overrun by aforementioned Ukraine. Meanwhile I've almost got back under my Infamy limit so things should start to settle down soon now. My allies have left me during the wars in the last Issue and I only have my vassals Scotland, Cornwall, Urbino and Tyrol and the minors I liberated, the Palatinate, Cleves and Flanders. Not much, but it will have to do for now. And even my vassals hate me now so I start with handing out some gifts. At least I still have my Sphere of Influence.

By the start of 1528 I got back below the Infamy limit. Awesome. But of course that doesn't mean that I can do anything aside from sitting quietly in the corner... My colony in Sierra Leone also reached city rights. Even awesomer! In like 40 years I will be able to actually train troops and build ships there! But at least I will be able to focus my attention on other places to colonize. Also, I'm holding 6.1% of the global Slave Market.

In June, 1528, Milan became Emperor. Funny. Then again, this apparently made them that much stronger because soon after that they started to gain new provinces. And in completely unrelated news, my second colony at Trarza will also produce Slaves. And Mali somehow got a core on my Sierra Leone colony! The bastards! How dare they?!

I spent the next few years building up and letting my Infamy drop. I also passed the Judiciary Act, lowering National Revolt Risk a bit and giving some Diplomats at the cost of some reduction in Tax. In September, 1531, I moved my National Focus to Nevers to remove the minor cores in the area. Trarza reached city status in October, 1533 and in early 1534 I started colonizing Konian, next to Sierra Leone a bit further in from the coast. That province will produce Slaves, too.

So yeah, things start to get really boring, aren't they? But I just realized that Mali has a Gold mine. Hmm. That gives me some ideas... Let's move some more men there, shall we? And as a stroke of luck, Mali claimed the Defender of the Faith title from the Ottomans, removing one more obstacle from my planned invasion. They only have Algiers as a usefull ally now. And I use the term 'usefull' rather loosely here. I use the "Holy War" Casus Belli because I want some provinces. I also leave my Allies out of this conflict because they couldn't contribute too much anyway. (Actually, I accidentally did call them in. Not that it matters, really.)

war_with_mali.png

They have more territory than meets the eye...

This action triggered like ten warnings from my neighbours. Apparently they don't like me getting my hands dirty in Africa. Alright guys, I promise I won't hurt any of your neighbours in the near future!

fighting_mali.png

This war is a bit one-sided.

mali_main_force.png

I guess that is your main force, isn't it? I mean that was...

peace_with_mali.png

That was exciting, wasn't it? :D What? You didn't see the war itself? You must have blinked!

With the new gains, I provide 19.3% of the global Slave Market and also 2.8% of Gold! Well, theoretically, at least. Problem is, I don't have land access to my Gold mine, so it is considered blockaded. Which kinda sucks, but whatever. I'll get there soon enough. Now there's the problem of the religious minorities. Heretics is one thing, but the Sunnites are Heathens. Well, technically the penalties are the same right now, but still. Oh, well. I guess I will go for complete reiligous equality. That sounds nice, doens't it? :) I'll get a new National Idea soon enough anyway.

I think I'll continue messing with Mali though. Next time I'll make them release Sokoto and that other country they can release. I wonder if I'll get their maps, too? I suppose so.

In January, 1542, I reached Government tech level 22, gaining a fifth National Idea. And despite my earlier plans of not doing any colonization, I've already started doing that, so now I wanted one from the Exploration line. (I'll go for that complete religious equality nonsense later.) Merchant Adventures and Shrewd Commerce Practice are out of the question because of my Mercantilistic policies. I don't need them. Quest for the New World is nice but it is rather obsolete now because I already got maps for half the World. Viceroys with +25% tarrifs sounds nice, except for the fact that I only get 1.3 Gold from tarrifs right now. Land of Opportunity is interesting, but +20% colonial growth won't be enough to get proper sized colonies so I would still need to send Colonists quite frequently. So Colonial Ventures came out as the winner with +1 Colonists a year, basically doubling my output and speeding up my colonization efforts a lot. (Although it will cost me much more this way than with Land of Opportunity.)

In July, 1542, I reach Naval level 17, allowing me to send colonists to Gold Coast, right next to my Gold mine in Kumasi. Hopefully having a colony there will already be enough to get my Gold back home!

gold_within_reach.png

Yes! By the way, who's brilliant idea was this HUGE interface element? I can't see squat with that in my face!

Unfortunatelly by the time I realized that the production of the Gold mine will be counted towards tarrifs and not Production nor Tax, I already built a Constable and a Workshop. Next time I should think before I act. Or does it help? I'm not sure I understand how this works... Oh, whatever, I'll build that Counting House, just in case.

The next months were rather dull, so here are a bunch of events. 1543 brought level 21 of Land tech along with the Chambered Demi Cannon, a pretty good weapon all around with a very short description. I'll take it. After Milan, Brunswick became Eperor in 1543. Then in late 1543 my girlfriend came home and we had to fill some census papers out so I have to wrap this up now. See ya!

Last edited:
    Issue #18
  • Reason IV
    Issue Eighteen

As of now, this AAR is officially an adult! (Or at least in some countries...)

You know, during the loading I accidentally took a peek in India. Hindustan is disturbingly big, even from this distance... You'll probably see soon enough.

Anyway, last time I have defeated Mali and took a Gold-producing province from them and Holy Mother of Sh*t! They have two more such provinces right in front of me! I was wondering where they got all that money...

gold_of_mali.png

I can't wait!

Meanwhile my colony in Gold Coast found Ivory. I hope that means Ivory Coast will produce Gold :D Ivory is not really that expensive, and judging from the tooltip, it won't be for a very long time, if ever. Also, my Royal Diplomat, a guy named Jacques of Wherever has just died. Quite a shame, he was a level 4 or so. His replacement is named Roussillon. Funny, huh? But he's a level 4 too, so I don't mind.

So, it turns out that building basically anything beside Forts is pretty much useless in Colonies. Who would have guessed?...

And Mali can't sit on their bottoms either:

spies_from_mali.png

If they want to play rough, I can play rough!

The funny part is that they did this three days before our Peace Treaty expired... I think you can figure out the rest. Things got an interesting turn though because the Sunni faith was defended by the Ottoman Empire. It wouldn't really be too much of a concern but unlike me, they have an actual navy...

ottoman_armies.png

This is the part where I'm really glad that I took the extra mile or three in Land Tech. They kept sending their similar sized and waaay underdeveloped armies to the meat-grinder.

During that war, the stupid natives in Gold Coast destroyed my entire colony of like 400 stinking upstanding French citizens! This is an outrage! Next time I will keep a decent-sized garrison there!

And this also happened:

slave_trade.png

Why am I not surprised? Not that it lasted that long, mind you...

defeat_of_mali.png

I was stupid enough to use the Discovered Spy Casus Belli when I could just as well use the Holy War one again, reducing the Infamy I get for annexing provinces, but this way that's the best I could come up with.

But then there's still the Ottomans and their many friends. I guess it's time to train some more soldiers. I have 105 Regiments at the moment and my limit is 130, so there's some room for improvement there. Then there's the issue of the Navy. And they just took Malta, too. I asked Morocco for Military Access so I can at least reach Algeria, that could be enough to get a White Peace from the Ottomans. Also, Trier thought that they could profit from my momentary lapse of momentum and declared war. Bringing all my friends into the conflict, too. And all this to take Luxemburg. And they also brought their buddy, England! That'll be fun! I still keep like 30% of my Army in Scotland, you know!

Well, actually that war didn't really last long because I was fed up with fighting multiple wars on multiple fronts at the same time. I had to beat the Ottomans now, and I was also running out of time! This Reason only lasts until 1550, and it was already 1547!

As you can probably imagine, the whole war against the Turks was very tedious and annoying. They kept sending huge armies for me to slaughter in France and Northern Italy and I didn't really have a chance to send anything against them directly because of the lack of a Navy. I will need to work heavily on that in the near future... And even after fully occupying Algeria and thus having over 25% War Score against their alliance, they wouldn't accept a White Peace. Fortunatelly, Morocco held the whole of Libya and I could also get Military Access from the Mamluks, so... It's time to do some Crusading :D

crusade.png

The well-documented French Crusade of 1549.

And probably from the news of this Crusade, Louis XII of Ávalos, King of France has died of a heart-attack. His son was crowned King of France as Louis XIII. A rather uninteresting guy, but with 5 Diplomacy, allowing me to take the Dissolution Act. A little reduction in Production Efficiency but I gain a point in Free Subjects (I might even turn France into a Republic sometime in the future) and lose 3 Infamy, which is awesome. And some minor Revolt Risk reduction, too.

dissolution.png

Let's Dissolute that Act!

So, this Issue ends with me still being at war with the Ottoman Empire but already entering into their territory with a single Army of about 15.000 brave Frenchmen. This also concludes our current Reason for Europe Universalis III being the worst game EVER. Because how on Earth is a French Crusade into Ottoman ruled Judea in 1550 as a consequence of a war with Mali can be considered historical?! And man, I'm sooo not looking forward to the next Reason either...

Last edited:
    Issue #19
  • Reason V
    This game is too slow.
    Issue Nineteen

Today is All Saints day here in Hungary. It's kinda like Halloween but without all the sentimental crap. We are simply remembering the people who didn't make it this far and celebrate that we did. Sort of. Point is, I have the whole day off, so I have some time to play this game.

And time I definitely need, because it's soooooo sloooooow. And boring, too! Remember that war I had with the Ottomans? Any guesses how long it lasted? Alright, it only lasted for six years, but still. And I had to offer them 25 Gold in order to finally let the issue go! And peace didn't last too long either, because the next day Leinster got itself attacked by England. I had to help! Why can't you just leave me alone?!

england_defeated.png

Alright, I beat you senseless again. Why won't you stay down? And why do I get an Infamy hit when I return territory to Scotland that they have cores on?! That's bullcrap!

I spent the Gold I got from England on rebuilding my Navy. I honestly can't remember when but I lost my latest one completely again, and now I don't have anything to protect my sealanes, which is problematic because it means I get no money from my colonies. At all. Well, I have one ship already, so I get something, but not much.

In January, 1544, I got this:

choice.png

And this is a question because...?

Sure, I guess there could theoretically be a situation where I wouldn't want a University to be built for free. Like if the province would be better suited for a Weapons Manufactory or something. But this is definitely not the case here (the province produces Wine). And +5 Government investement is always welcome. This is the seventh one in France now :)

And as I said, this game is also very boring. For example, nothing interesting happened for three years now! I mean I'm doing stuff like improving my colonies and rebuilding my Navy (again!), but nothing actually interesting is going on. And I'm waiting for my Infamy to go down. It was especially boring between 1559 and 1565 during the Regency Council. Which, by the way, screwed up a huge opportunity I had to get that annoying little thorn in my side, Avignon:

infamy.png

That 2 Stability points would be great, except I'm at 3 Stability already.

See my problem? 2 free Stability points would be awesome, even if I'm at 3 points already, if I could declare war right now. Avignon is an Archbishopric. I will never be able to diplo-annex them without a Royal Marriage. But declaring war on them would cost me 2 points of Stability. A big price for a single province for such a huge empire. But a Regency Council can't declare war! I could wait for a few years for my young heir to come of age, but that would be cheating, wouldn't it? Wouldn't it?... Oh, what the heck! If I bring up the province interface, I can't even see the event! It's like it's not even there!

So. Let's wait some more!

But no, you won't even give me that, will you?! The event simply chose an option for itself after a while... That's harsh, man! I know I wanted to cheat, sort of, but you would deserve it! Bah! I will annex Avignon when I get the chance anyway!

In 1563 my new king was crowned as Charles VII de Ávalos. (Yes, I still have Spanish kings...) With him in charge I can start wars again. So let's take back Avignon!

puritans.png

These guys were camping here for like a hundred years already! Let me show how it's done!

siege_over.png

Well, I was off by a few years: 20541 days is a little over 56 years. Still, that means that the rebels I defeated were like the grand-sons of the original sieging army...

The war was over so quickly that I couldn't offer peace because my previous Diplomat was still on his way... Annexing Avignon gave me 8 Infamy, but at least I have a full, proper France now. With a long leg, too.

Hmm. There's this funny kind of rebel now that I've started colonizing: the Particularists. Their name comes from the fact that they don't really want anything particular, they simply like revolting. This tradition is very deeply rooted in American culture by the way. And here's another screenshots for you:

wife.png

This game is trying to steal my job! I'm supposed to be telling the awful jokes here! (The heir that this event gave me is 3/4/3, so in the end the joke's on me I guess...)

And why hasn't it ever occured to me before that I could build an Embassy in my colonies to get an impressive -0.4 Infamy per year? It can last as long as 45-50 years for the "small" sum of 480-500 Gold!

I think I wouldn't really want to annex Scotland, Urbino or Tirol before, but in 1575, an annoying little alert icon appeared telling me that I have a good chance to do that. Funny thing is, I never actually failed in diplo-annexation since I installed Divine Wind. Then again, I always tried to do it with one province minors, that might have had something to do with it. Anyway, I don't like that icon, so I integrated Scotland. In a mere fifty years I will even have cores up there! Nice. Especially because without them, the area is a disaster.

In July, 1576 I got so bored that I simply quit the game. Well, actually I recieved an event that would give me -1 Stability and I really didn't want to take it. Consider it my revenge for the event that went away on its own. Maybe next time I can do something interesting for a change...

Last edited: