• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Originally posted by WFHermans
Excellent idea! Maybe you can start a thread about it because it's your idea! Because the country needs leaders. I think the country should be vassal of Denmark. poor as a churchrat both in money and population...it will be difficult to get a foothold on the continent for them...diplomacy would be the key for playung Iceland.
And it could try to make a grab in the New World...

I just tried this using the Norway setup but having Iceland only (population: 1000, 5000 troops, and 3 ships) in the IGC. As I expected its not all that hard (though I'd note I'm not that far yet). By 1500, I own Mecklenburg-Bremen and am ready to annex Hannover (just as soon as someone else goes BB). Of course I've gone bankrupt to do this, but already I see that it will be no problem to achieve critical mass by 1560 at the latest.

Originally posted by strategy

I just tried this using the Norway setup but having Iceland only (population: 1000, 5000 troops, and 3 ships) in the IGC. As I expected its not all that hard (though I'd note I'm not that far yet). By 1500, I own Mecklenburg-Bremen and am ready to annex Hannover (just as soon as someone else goes BB). Of course I've gone bankrupt to do this, but already I see that it will be no problem to achieve critical mass by 1560 at the latest.

Ohmygosh! Do not forget to take appropriate snaps as you go. How's Icelands colonist situation, can you tell?

So I guess the strategy is to borrow money and never pay it back. Am I correct?

At least in the start. One thing is sure; with a monthly income of 0.3D, you're not going to have resources to recruit a lot of troops anytime soon (matter of fact, its not even enough to maintain the starting army I allowed myself).

I'll post some snaps, if I have the patience to continue (its irritating having to wait for some other nation to be aggressive enough so that I don't end up BB too soon).

Therein lies the rub. If you can't even support the troops then, by rights you shouldn't have them in the first place. Nor the ships. And vassal status with Denmark since that frozen rock is hardly going to be independent. The Danes would want use of that port you have.

Iceland's story really has to be that of a European backwater that can only sit and watch for eternity. Arguably, you also should not be allowed to borrow any more that you can support in interest payments. Although the game does allow this, it's still reasonable as a private rule.

But look on the bright side. With 0.3D per month, you can save up for a tax collector in 14 years and then your income will be up to almost 0.5D per month :D

My guess is that you want to be playing the game to make Iceland as a trading nation. Build up sufficient trade income to support limited tech development and maybe the involvement in the odd war or two. Once your income is high enough then loans would be acceptable but I think the deliberate policy of bankrupty is a bit of a con

If you can the colonial nation option might be the best. Build up a presence in North America and use that as your power base to fund any major aggressive tendencies you may have.

So...I think you should start again with a more realistic starting position and none of that borrowing rubbish until you have a bit of merchant income.

I'd estimate the 3 fishing boats and 5k troops I allowed myself to start with saved me about 2 years of building, so hardly a big deal (and besides, if they don't have ships, how did they get up there :p). I have set Iceland as a vassal of Denmark - already becoming a major irritant by 1505.

But if you don't allow loaning, then world conquest as Iceland becomes mission impossible. Barring the ultimate random event (+4000 gold or something simmilar), you're not likely to get off the rock for the first 100 years at least. And how do you think Iceland is likely to colonize without any money? At their income rate, the can maybe afford one trading post every three years... :D

Of course, that would have the advantage of being a fast game. :D

Yeah... It's like: "Damn do I still have Portugal to take out, DOH!"
:D
The end is fun though. "I'll just DoW them, them & them and I'll still win" :D

Originally posted by strategy
I'd estimate the 3 fishing boats and 5k troops I allowed myself to start with saved me about 2 years of building, so hardly a big deal (and besides, if they don't have ships, how did they get up there :p). I have set Iceland as a vassal of Denmark - already becoming a major irritant by 1505.

But if you don't allow loaning, then world conquest as Iceland becomes mission impossible. Barring the ultimate random event (+4000 gold or something simmilar), you're not likely to get off the rock for the first 100 years at least. And how do you think Iceland is likely to colonize without any money? At their income rate, the can maybe afford one trading post every three years... :D

Of course, that would have the advantage of being a fast game. :D

Bloody big fishing boats if they each hold 1000 plus troops.

But the challenge is precisely that. If you have such a pitiful start, the time it takes to get of to something is all important and makes it all the more challenging. That's why I argued that Iceland should start with no troops and no navy. Otherwise, 100k troops and a fleet of 50 warships could be selected and then it would be quite easy.

Even in 1700, Iceland seems to have a city population of only 400 and I'm fairly certain that there wouldn't be that huge a population on the rest of the island. Basically you've started with an army of five times the size of the capital population and a navy that could transport that population three times over. That's what I would call overgenerous.

btw. Don't knock trade. With little other source of income, you'll find trading income as a valuable supplement to monthly income probably over 75%. Now that's how to build up the income. From there you can gain more income for other merchants and possibly argue that you have sufficient income to raise one loan.

Oh, and I would probalby work on a starting capital of 10-20D. :D

So you have to borrow and not pay back a few times...which really gets punished in the newer versions.
Maybe it's better to become member of an alliance and let someone else do the DoW...and then grab a base in Europe.

And maybe it's better to wait 30 years for nationalism to end before you build improvements...I don't know. And it sucks when you are building something and there's a revolution, and all your money is gone because the Rebel Scum killed your Tax Collector who was almost built...

WFH - Nope, I only took the one 1000d loan, and haven't taken a loan since (and don't plan to). The inflation is up to 28% by 1500, but that's the punishment of course. The tricky problem in my current game is that none of the usual aggressive major powers (France, Turkey) have been aggressive enough, so now my BB is the highest, which means I have to wait a couple of years before the next attempt at expansion.

LH - Heh; I'd like to see anyone get off the island with those conditions - I fear I do not have the patience for that kind of game. As I mentioned, the troops are no big deal, but without loans (and no random events: random events typically = huge advantage for small nations) you do not have the capability to get off that island and gain a foothold before 1600, and probably realistically not until 1700 (and anyone that wants to disprove that should please be my guest :p).

Trade is all very well as a source of income - LATE in the game. Until Trade Level 5, the cost of creating the trade will far exceed any income you're likely to get out of it. To really top it off, your home trade province is the very competitive Flanders COT, and you're far away from all the really good ones.

Challange

Pretty nice conquests :) How about to get every single province till 1692 !