• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Originally posted by adamxxx1
You'll notice I've given thought to it, not actually posted
the AAR :)

But as challenges go it seems a better one as compared
to the rather artificial proposals people have come up with
in the thread.

Is it doable? Dunno. There'll be precious little action for
the first 150 years or so, that's for sure.

Seriously, it would be a piece of cake to conquor the world with Iceland, since your island position is more or less impregnable.

All you need is to find the right war to intervene in to get your foothold on the continent (the Turkish-Mameluk war is one of my favorites with most other nations) and then you're on the roll. Another possibility is to intervene in the (usually inevitable) French-Spanish wars and grab Andalusia + the gold mines. I'd give it about 50 years and you should be ready to take on the BB wars (earlier if you can make a grab for the Mamelukes).

Recently got tempted to experiment with the Byzantines in IGC 2.3; annexed the Mamelukes by 1494, and have grabbed huge chunks of Turkey and Persia in the course of the first 10 years. Yearly tax = 240d = I'm ready for the badboy wars. And the strategy I followed with Byzantium can be carried out with any of the mediteranean minors (and in the right circumstances, by any maritime power...)

Last edited:
Haven't checked but isn't one fo Iceland's problem the fact that it has almost no money? Having a distant - and cold island can be an advantage but you've still got to be able to support troops and in sufficient quantities to send them on a sea voyage before they can even start to take a fortress on the mainland.

btw. I was just thinking about that point you made on the success probability of colonisation. You don't happen to remember any of the provinces where you had problems? I wanted to do a little experimentation to check if you were right on that point

Originally posted by strategy

Seriously, it would be a piece of cake to conquor the world with Iceland, since your island position is more or less impregnable.

As Lionheart has already stated, Iceland has a specific problem - it's really, _really_ poor. What you propose - join some other war and "steal" provinces - is the only way, but it'll take a while before Iceland can play it.

I'm almost tempted :)

Haven't checked but isn't one fo Iceland's problem the fact that it has almost no money? Having a distant - and cold island can be an advantage but you've still got to be able to support troops and in sufficient quantities to send them on a sea voyage before they can even start to take a fortress on the mainland.

Well, I'm assuming you're going to allow yourself to start with at least SOME troops and a fleet (15k troops + 8 ships minimum) + a reasonably population base; otherwise your conquoring dreams will of course be somewhat delayed.

If you don't allow yourself a start army, you'll need to take a few years to build up the navy (and army) using borrowed money, and then pick the right nation for your foothold conquest. But I think it would still be relatively easy to do, unless you really, REALLY handicap the player such as giving him -200 relations with all nations, -3 stability, rubbish monarchs, 1-0-1-0 default leaders and no historical leaders, no money, no army or navy, a population of 700 in the capital (and no fortress), orthodox religion, start him with a BB value of 200, etc. Granted; then its going to be hard to carry out the world conquest. ;)

btw. I was just thinking about that point you made on the success probability of colonisation. You don't happen to remember any of the provinces where you had problems? I wanted to do a little experimentation to check if you were right on that point

Hard to remmeber, but one that frustrated me endlessly was the province just North of Sulawesi in the east Indies. I never did succeed in colonizing this province, even though I had wiped out the natives and sent more than 10 colonists on fatal attempts (I ended up constructing a trade post). Can't off-hand remember which others caused remarkable problems in that game, though there were a couple.

Last edited:
Well I guess a good starting point would be to compare Iceland with Prussia then reduce it.

City population of 700
Commanders really ought to be standard nothing special as would the leaders
No navy or standing army.
No fortress
Vassals of Denmark (good relations)
Stability high
Other relations indifferent
Next to no starting cash

From this starting point I reckon you'd not even be able to afford 1k of troops per year so the building of an army AND navy would take decades.

Of course, if you program your own super leaders and large troops/navy then it would be easy with Iceland. ;)

The problem with borrowed money should be the cost. Interest costs of 12D per year ought, by rights, to cripple Iceland's economy.

But of course with the borrowed money you shalt grab enough land to ensure that you can pay back the interests, and part of the borrowed money will be used to pay interests until then.

Of course, if there are no wars in the start of the game, then you have a problem (or if those wars are obscure), otherwise you should have no problems jumping on the band wagon against who ever France attacks (France usually waits about a year, which gives you time to build the army you need). Alternatively, you could try and make a grab against France, depending on the situation.

This is a one in a million AAR in more ways than one. First its a unique screenshot aar that is rare on the forum. Second it is one of the few fully completed aars on the forum and last it is one of the only that show a complete domination of the world to the end.

Great work adamxx and we look forward to your next work.

Congrats on having the featured best AAR of the week (in my opinion;) )

Originally posted by warspite
This is a one in a million AAR in more ways than one. First its a unique screenshot aar that is rare on the forum. Second it is one of the few fully completed aars on the forum and last it is one of the only that show a complete domination of the world to the end.

Great work adamxx and we look forward to your next work.

Congrats on having the featured best AAR of the week (in my opinion;) )

Thank you, Warspite! Much as I appreciate that Paradox has provided us with a screenshot feature it's still a lot of work. The last map is 16 screenshots or so, pasted together in photoshop. So it stands to reason that only people who'd have the patience of actually finishing an AAR with a world conquest victory would post a full screenshot AAR.

Still, if I remeber the numbers from your recent poll, only a tiny percentage of the people here like this kind of AAR. Most seem to prefer the elaborately written variety.

And finally, I logged in to see if anything interesting had been said on the forum and I was on the brink of going over to the general forum and cry over the fact that my AAR had vanished when I noticed it had been "upped" instead - it's seems I just glaze over the sticky threads somehow. Wonder is more people do that?

Originally posted by adamxxx1
Still, if I remeber the numbers from your recent poll, only a tiny percentage of the people here like this kind of AAR. Most seem to prefer the elaborately written variety.
[/B]

That is because Warspite added the Screendhot option after most of us voted.

Excellent idea! Maybe you can start a thread about it because it's your idea! Because the country needs leaders. I think the country should be vassal of Denmark. poor as a churchrat both in money and population...it will be difficult to get a foothold on the continent for them...diplomacy would be the key for playung Iceland.
And it could try to make a grab in the New World...

Originally posted by WFHermans
What countries can conquer the world without cheating? All settings normal, everything annexable.

From personal experience: Russia, Sweden, England, France, Spain, Turkey. Others are more difficult to lack of colonists

I think he means the Mediterranean ones... The Knights of St John

If CRC kicks in he can have one colonist, and he can also gain one with a shipyard. Otherwise it is good to let Spain, Portugal, England and France expand and grab their colonies later

LOL....but seriously this technique of conquering a colonial power like Spain and then annexing it to get its colonial empire only works if Spain doesn't have already cities in Mexico...or you would have to conquer them too...by the way the knight could try to become reformed and get 2 extra colonists, + 1 for the shipyard...

and i also think that the upgrades of EU make it even harder to conquer the world...all settings normal. It's really amazing to do that as Denmark or Sweden.