• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

JKiller96

Court Imam
111 Badges
Feb 17, 2013
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • War of the Roses
  • War of the Vikings
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Surviving Mars
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
Greetings,

This is my suggestion for a potential rework of the Greater Middle East region, without any new provinces. I'll be tackling the area from Libya to Afghanistan and Circassia to Aswan. I'll split these suggestions up into types of changes.

I apologize if this thread seems a bit haphazard, I accidentally erased it 2 times and it got a bit jumbled after that...

I'm including tags that already exist in game, as one of these tags is currently in the game.

-

Iraq:

Iraq from the 1430's to 1446 was under the rule of a seperate Qara Qoyunlu ruler, Ispend bin Yusuf Baranlu, with his capital at Baghdad. Qara Qoyunlu Iraq is in a somewhat strong position, however, Ispend recently lost a war with the Aq Qoyunlu and his army is currently weak. In 1446 Jahan Shah Baranlu of the Azerbaijan Qara Qoyunlu would siege Baghdad and reunite Iraq and Azerbaijan.

Ruler in 1444: Ispend bin Yusuf of the dynasty Baranlu. He is at least 54 years old as he commanded a Qara Qoyunlu army in 1410.

Capital: Baghdad

State religion: Shi'a, Jafari school

Government: Tribal federation

Primary culture: Azerbaijani

Flag: Same as currently in game

Notes on starting position: Ispend has recently lost a war with Aq Qoyunlu. They are in a weak position militarily and rule over a largely Sunni Arab population. They should share the Qara Qoyunlu mission tree and be able to form Qara Qoyunlu if possible.

In game:
irq.png

-

Ossetia/Alania:

Although represented currently as under the control of Circassia, this area was largely autonomous and seperated into different Ossetian tribes, the primary ones being the Iron and Digor in the current province. Christianity, the native Ossetian religion, and Sunni Islam compete for followers in this area, with Islam largely winning over the others in the 17th/18th centuries; Russian conquest would upset this trend.

Ruler in 1444: Unknown. Possibly of the Digor or Iron dynasty, using a tribe as a dynasty.

Capital: Dzaudzhikau in the Alania province, which would be renamed Iryston (Ossetian name for the area)

State religion: Possibly Tengri to represent a potential syncretic religion. The Digor converted to Islam in the 16th/17th centuries. But the native Ossetian religion has persisted.

Government: Tribal monarchy or stateless society

Primary culture: Circassian

Flag: (Adopted from an Ossetian coat of arms in 1735)
1920px-Wapen_Ossetien.svg.png

-

Rustamdar:

Rustamdar is a country that will be split Mazandaran. It has been ruled by the Baduspanids for centuries by 1444. The current ruler, Kayumarth I Baduspanid, has had a long and tumultuous reign by the 1440's and recently regained land in the area, with control of Rustamdar in the early 1440's and then taking Amul in 1445.

Ruler in 1444: Kayumarth I of the Baduspanid dynasty. He is at least 59 years old but I would put him in the late 70's-80's range as he first came to power in 1394 and experienced the Timurid invasion.

Heir: Iskandar IV

Capital: Nur in Rustamdar province (renamed Amul to Rustamdar)

State religion: Shi'a, Jafari school (Kayumarth converted to this school from Sunni Islam)

Government: Autocracy

Primary culture: Mazandarani

Flag: Mazandaran's current flag
Mazandaran.png

Notes on starting position: Rustamdar is still technically a vassal of Shah Rukh until his death. I am not sure if this can be considered in any way.

-

Tabaristan:

Tabaristan would be a renamed Mazandaran and would represent the Marashi state, that has the current rulers and such of the Mazandaran tag.

Ruler in 1444: Same as in game

Capital: Sari

State religion: Shi'a

Primary culture: Mazandarani

Flag: Flag of Tabaristan tricolor? Was used in earlier EU4 versions

-

Bastak

The Khanate of Bastak was a small state in southern Fars that claimed descent from the Abbasids. They were subdued by Shah Ismail in his conquest of Persia. They controlled the area around Bastak, some of Larestan, and the area around Bandar Langeh.

Ruler in 1444: A member of the Bastaki dynasty. Could not find any details on a ruler in 1444.

Capital: Bastak, Bastak province (renamed Bandar Langeh; could be a dynamic name)

State religion: Sunni Islam, Shafi'i or Maliki school

Government: Feudal monarchy

Primary culture: Persian

Flag: (Black standard of the Abbasids)
1200px-Black_flag.svg.png

-

Makran

The area of Makran was actually very important to the time period when concerning South Asia and this area was seperate from the area of Kalat. In 1444 the Makran area would be under the control of Jalal Khan Rind, whose son, Mir Chakar Rind, would help Humayun regain a foothold in India and became a revered Baluch historical figure.

Ruler in 1444: Jalal Khan of the Rind dynasty. He should be somewhat young, as his son was born in 1468. I would estimate mid 20's-early 30's

Capital: Aashaal Kolwa in Kech province (renamed Chabahar province). I chose this as Mir Chakar's birthplace is apparently this area, and that is one clue to the location of a capital.

State religion: Sunni islam, Hanafi or Shafi'i school

Government: Tribal despotism

Primary culture: Baluchi

Flag: Makran princely state flag
1200px-Flag_of_the_State_of_Makran.svg.png

-

Kharan:

Represents the future princely state of Kharan. Kharan after 1650 was a vassal state of Kalat. It can start independent, as a vassal of Kalat, or a Kalat province with a core.

Ruler in 1444: Member of the Nusherwani dynasty

State religion: Sunni, Hanafi or Shafi'i school

Flag: Flag of Kharan
2880px-Flag_of_the_State_of_Kharan.svg.png

-

Las Bela/Bela:

Represents the future princely state of Las Bela in the province of Bela. It can start indepedent, a vassal of Makran, or with a core on Bela.

Ruler in 1444: Member of the Gongaw or Kathuria dynasty.

State religion: Sunni, Shafi'i school

Flag: Flag of Las Bela
2880px-Flag_of_the_State_of_Las_Bela.svg.png

-

Kalat:

The northeastern portion of the Baluchistan area, which was ruled by Kalat for 500 years. It later became a princely state.

Ruler in 1444: Qambar of the Mirwani dynasty

Heir: Omar Mirwani

State religion: Sunni, Hanafi school

Flag: Flag of Kalat
1200px-FlagofKalat.svg.png

-

Baluchistan:

I suggest making the current Baluchistan tag a formable for Baluchi countries also.

Baluchistan region after changes:
baluchistan.png

-

Canik/Bafra

This tag is supposed to represent the beylik of Bafra, the last of the Canik beyliks. It was annexed by the Ottomans in 1460. If anyone has any more information on this one, please PM me.

Ruler in 1444: Unsure. Need more information.

Capital: Canik

State religion: Sunni, Hanafi school

Primary culture: Turkish

Flag: Unsure. Possibly an artist rendition featuring the Seal of Solomon found in other beylik flags?

-

Cyrenaica/Barqa

This tag is meant to represent the tribes that were vassals to Mamluk Egypt, but quite autonomous. It could also be a nascent tag since the area lacks any independent tags. They can have the current ruler of Fezzan, although I am not sure how accurate that specific ruler is.

Ruler in 1444: Abdulazza, Banu Sulaym

Capital: Binghazi

State religion: Sunni, Maliki school

Government: Tribal federation or tribal despotism

Primary culture: Tunisian or Egyptian

Flag: A bit out of timeframe, but the flag of the emirate of Cyrenaica/Barqa
220px-Flag_of_Cyrenaica.svg.png

-

Diriya:

Diriya is essentially Najd, but representing the proto-Saudi state instead of the entire region of Najd, which can include Shammar and Dawasir. I propose this become a seperate tag and allow Najd to become a formable by Bedouin tags such as Shammar, Dawasir, and Diriya.

Ruler in 1444: Ibn Dir Saud (or Uqayl, or Mrudah), who invited the ancestors of the Saudis to settled in Diriya. Diriya is named for him.

Heir: Mani al-Muraidi Saud (or, Mrudah as an alternate, more historically correct dynasty)

State religion: Sunni, Hanbali school

Government: Tribal federation

Primary culture: Bedouin

Flag: Flag of Diriyah, which is Najd's current flag.
Flag_of_the_First_and_Second_Saudi_State.svg

Flag for formable Najd: (Sultanate of Najd flag)
1200px-Flag_of_the_Sultanate_of_Nejd.svg.png

-

Kabardia:

Kabardia was recently founded as an autonomous state of Circassia by Inal's general Qabard. It would have a core on the current province of Kabardia, but unreleased in 1444.

State religion: Sunni?

Government: Tribal depsotism

Primary culture: Circassian

Flag:
Flag_of_the_Princedom_of_Kabardia_%28Early_19th_century%29.svg

-

Caucasus:

A formable representing the Caucasus Imamate, formable by countries of the Dagestani, Circassian, and possibly Azerbaijani? cultures.

State religion: Sunni

Government: Feudal theocracy

Primary culture: Dagestani

Flag:
1200px-Thirdimamateflag.svg.png

-

Kakheti:

Representing one of the breakaway kingdoms of Georgia after 1446.

Ruler (1446/1465): George I Bagrationi

Heir: Alexander I

State religion: Orthodox

Government: Autocracy/Feudal monarchy

Primary culture: Georgian

Flag: Flag of Kakheti
2880px-Flag_of_Kingdom_of_Kakheti.svg.png

-

Suakin:

Suakin represents the autonomous Beja emirate of Suakin, whose leader was of the the Hashemites. They would hold the provinces of Suakin and Halaib.

Ruler in 1444: Member of the Hashim dynasty (same as Hejaz)

State religion: Sunni, Shafi'i or Maliki school

Government: Iqta or tribal despotism

Primary culture: Beja

-

Aswan:

Aswan would represent the autonomous domain of the Hawwara, granted governance of the area for defeating the tribes of the Banu Kanz who then fled into Sudan. The only historical ruler I can find is Sheikh Hammam, who ruled in the early 18th century, but this tribe ruled the area since 1389. They would either start as a two province vassal of the Mamluks or with cores on Egypt from Asyut to Aswan.

Ruler in 1444: Member of the Hawwara dynasty

State Religion: Sunni of the Maliki school (this is a Libyan tribe)

Government: Tribal despotism or Iqta

Primary culture: Egyptian

Flag: Possibly the flag of Aswan, nothing else is available

For some country-specific suggestions:

-

Country changes and mission suggestions

Circassia:

Circassia in 1444 was in a sort-of golden age under Inal Inalid. I suggest having him as leader in 1444. In addition to this, Circassia will increase in size, having recently conquered Matrega, Kuban, Kabardia (which was recently named after a general of Inal, Qabard), and Abkhazia.

Missions:
I suggest 3 branches for Circassia; an economic/government branch, an expansion branch, and a religion branch.

The economic and government branch would focus on turning Circassia into an autocracy or horde from a tribal government, developing the capital, Shamjir, and decreasing autonomy.

The expansion branch would focus on conquering Dagestan, Georgia, Armenia, and eventually, Anatolia, with more southward expansion than northward.

The religious branch would allow for Circassia to choose between Shi'a, Sunni, Orthodox, Catholicism, or Tengriism (to represent native Circassian religion) and enforcing the new state religion, as well as establishing good ties with states of that religion.

Other general changes:

Circassia starts with the tribal federation government type

Circassia loses Alania province to Ossetia tag

Circassia on the map:
circassia.png

-

Georgia:

Georgia in 1444 was somewhat united, with some cracks. I suggest Georgia start whole, and get an event upon the death of the current king that either splits the country into 4, a disaster, or spawn rebels if a player is Georgia.

Georgia if it breaks apart:
Georgia.png

-

Fezzan:

I propose changing Fezzan massively. Fezzan in 1444 was still somewhat subject to Bornu and the Ibadis. The ruler in 1444 should be a member of the Banu Khattab dynasty, and Fezzan should be Ibadi religion. Bornu could have a core on the province with Murzuq.

-

Full map after changes:
midest.png

-

Other suggestions:

-Giving Rahba to Aq Qoyunlu as supporting sources attributes control of the area to AQ from at least 1435-1451. Additionally, this provides a buffer for a weaker Qara Qoyunlu.
-Making Qara Qoyunlu follow the Jafari school instead of Ismaili.
-Give Hejaz control of Yanbu; they had control of the coast.
-Make Medina a vassal of Mamluks.
-Give Hormuz Qatar and Mogostan.
-Possibly give Karaman control of Hamid; they lost this shortly after, but technically during the day of the start of the game they still occupied it (according to what I have read).

Sources:

I took the information for the Qara Qoyunlu and Aq Qoyunlu changes from the book, The Aqquyunlu by John Woods. The changes to Egypt was from The Cambridge New History of Islam: The Central Islamic Lands. Of course I did get some of the information, such as the flags, from Wikipedia. It has been difficult to find information on Circassia and Baluchistan anywhere else. If anyone has any suggestions on sources on these places, please relay them.

Thank you!

Last edited:
  • 10Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
I like your suggestion
I will also add something from myself

I would also consider adding Shaki as a playable kingdom
List of rulers in the Azerbaijani language

I also propose to add a country named:Tmutarakan/Taman

The country is ruled by the Ghisolfi family

Last edited:
Reactions:
Just in general would cut down a bit on the OPM's when no new provinces can be added
Makes sense but not sure I think it'd be good from a balance POV at the moment, also QQ are not ismailis. It be better to just have QQ and Mushasha be Jafari
Ossetia/Alania:
I'll come back to this when talking circassia
Rustamdar:
I wouldn't add this tag unless more provinces are added
Canik/Bafra
Trin_tragula back in the days when CoC was made said the beylik was too small, didn't control the entire province
Kabardia:

Hawwara was based in Girga and would go on to rule entire upper egypt, I'd jsut make a Said tag for the region. Aswan should have nubian culture/shia religion for the banu kanz
Circassia:
Yes the sources are bad but I don't find it likely that there was a great circassia udner Prince Inal at the time since external sources do not mention this. Inal is likely to have been a real figure but probably not of the stature that circassian folk legends portray him. Without new provinces I would do a very simple binary division o Circassia into Adyghea (Two western provinces) and Kabardia (eastern provinces) ruled by Inal. The idea that the modern circassian tribes all got their names from Inal's son's is very unlikely (several tribal names are mentioend before Ina'ls time)

Some of my pet projects ot include would of course be yazidis, Alevis and Nestorians, still kinda possible without new provinces. Also Ardalan was larger in 1444, controlling the provinces of Suleyman and Kirkuk.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I think the Caucasus area can be redrawn to make it more Historical
midest.png
Yes, I would put countries on the map
midest (1).png
As for Suakin, I found a page in Arabic that mentions the rulers.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Just in general would cut down a bit on the OPM's when no new provinces can be added

Makes sense but not sure I think it'd be good from a balance POV at the moment, also QQ are not ismailis. It be better to just have QQ and Mushasha be Jafari

I'll come back to this when talking circassia

I wouldn't add this tag unless more provinces are added

Trin_tragula back in the days when CoC was made said the beylik was too small, didn't control the entire province

Hawwara was based in Girga and would go on to rule entire upper egypt, I'd jsut make a Said tag for the region. Aswan should have nubian culture/shia religion for the banu kanz

Yes the sources are bad but I don't find it likely that there was a great circassia udner Prince Inal at the time since external sources do not mention this. Inal is likely to have been a real figure but probably not of the stature that circassian folk legends portray him. Without new provinces I would do a very simple binary division o Circassia into Adyghea (Two western provinces) and Kabardia (eastern provinces) ruled by Inal. The idea that the modern circassian tribes all got their names from Inal's son's is very unlikely (several tribal names are mentioend before Ina'ls time)

Some of my pet projects ot include would of course be yazidis, Alevis and Nestorians, still kinda possible without new provinces. Also Ardalan was larger in 1444, controlling the provinces of Suleyman and Kirkuk.
I made Iraq Ismaili as QQ is Ismaili in game, so I just didn't want there to be a difference in that, but I can support making them both Jafari. I understand Bafra didn't control the whole province, but I cannot find any maps marking their exact borders. The maps in the Cambridge and Aqqoyunlu books make the "Canik" region larger than it is in game, which I feel was a bit of a consolation. I considered changing Ardalan, but felt it was at risk of making QQ too weak, although a weak QQ in my opinion is just fine, as it makes the AQ more likely to succeed, especially since AQ stretches from Trebizond to the wasteland. I opted against the Hawwara/Aswan/Said tag being out since I wanted the Mamluks to be filled on vassal slots, but not too much over it.

As for Circassia, are you suggesting Kabardia and Adyghea be in a personal union?

This area is not my expertise. Was just inspired by reading a book!

Last edited:
I think the Caucasus area can be redrawn to make it more Historical
Yes, I would put countries on the map
As for Suakin, I found a page in Arabic that mentions the rulers.
I do like your redrawing. I want to note that, in the Aqquyunlu book, the 1444 date shows that AQ was not in control of Erzurum. I'll attach the maps here, maybe it can help you.

AQ 1438-1444 and AQ in 1435
20211009_213338.jpg

(AQ in 1438-1444)
20211012_014100.jpg

(AQ in 1435)

20211012_015507.jpg

(AQ in 1451)

Apologize for the poor quality. Notice the territorial losses from 1435-1444 and to 1451. The Erzurum was under control of the (assumedly) independent AQ Shaykh-Hasan, son of Qara Usman, from 1435-1451 (when his territory was occupied in 1451, as shown in the 3rd map), with his territory fluctuating between Erzurum and Erzincan. By 1444, Erzincan was lost by him. They did regain much of the AQ territory initially, but it was a slow trudge during the civil war.

Deconstruction QQ without weakness for OTT and MAM is pointless.

Rest look OK
I see your point. This is why AQ's borders are to be extended to Rahba to cut off Mamluks from QQ and Canik made an OPM, to provide additional buffers. Mamluks or Ottomans are likely to ally AQ.

Additionally, AQ ownership of the area around/near Rahba is proven in the maps provided above.

Also, the weakening of QQ increases the chances of a powerful Ardabil or AQ.

I made Iraq Ismaili as QQ is Ismaili in game, so I just didn't want there to be a difference in that, but I can support making them both Jafari.

Yes both being jafari is the best, since ismaili is rather specific and jafari is catch all for any sect believing in 12 imams which QQ and mushasha did (Mushasha just additionally believed the mahdi had come)

I understand Bafra didn't control the whole province, but I cannot find any maps marking their exact borders. The maps in the Cambridge and Aqqoyunlu books make the "Canik" region larger than it is in game, which I feel was a bit of a consolation.
I'd personally cut that tag as superflous

I considered changing Ardalan, but felt it was at risk of making QQ too weak, although a weak QQ in my opinion is just fine, as it makes the AQ more likely to succeed, especially since AQ stretches from Trebizond to the wasteland.
I'm not sure what I think would be best, as there are various perspectives, but the argument to weaken QQ has some merit as to increase the likelyhood of a strong AQ or the slight possibility another minor tag rises up. Would it work having Iraq as a vassal of QQ? Anyway the idea is definitly worth considering
I have been thinking of ways of boosting/railroading Ardabil a bit

I opted against the Hawwara/Aswan/Said tag being out since I wanted the Mamluks to be filled on vassal slots, but not too much over it.
Yes I would only have it as a revolter tag. Also make egypt the primary tag of egyptian culture rather than Mamluk
As for Circassia, are you suggesting Kabardia and Adyghea be in a personal union?

This area is not my expertise. Was just inspired by reading a book!
two separate countries, I don't buy into the theory that circassia was united, no contemporary evidence of that. Even semi-nationalist historians only discusses Inal as legendary and uses only oral sources to do so https://books.google.se/books?id=eE...ce=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false
Now there are plenty of articles and people which will tell you circassia was unified, but they never have good sources proving this
With more provicnes I would've fractured circassia even more, but as it is now I would have it 2 2pm's (so no separate Ossetia)

Reactions:
Yes both being jafari is the best, since ismaili is rather specific and jafari is catch all for any sect believing in 12 imams which QQ and mushasha did (Mushasha just additionally believed the mahdi had come)

I'd personally cut that tag as superflous

I'm not sure what I think would be best, as there are various perspectives, but the argument to weaken QQ has some merit as to increase the likelyhood of a strong AQ or the slight possibility another minor tag rises up. Would it work having Iraq as a vassal of QQ? Anyway the idea is definitly worth considering
I have been thinking of ways of boosting/railroading Ardabil a bit

Yes I would only have it as a revolter tag. Also make egypt the primary tag of egyptian culture rather than Mamluk

two separate countries, I don't buy into the theory that circassia was united, no contemporary evidence of that. Even semi-nationalist historians only discusses Inal as legendary and uses only oral sources to do so https://books.google.se/books?id=eE...ce=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false
Now there are plenty of articles and people which will tell you circassia was unified, but they never have good sources proving this
With more provicnes I would've fractured circassia even more, but as it is now I would have it 2 2pm's (so no separate Ossetia)
I think there would need to be some event or mission for QQ/Iraq, like a "Capture of Baghdad" event that would make QQ give complete occupation of Iraq and vice versa "Capture of Tabriz". Inspiration for this would be the 1446 Siege of Baghdad by the Tabriz-based QQ. I think any rework of the region should consider missions.

Edited the original thread to show updates.

Last edited:
I do like your redrawing. I want to note that, in the Aqquyunlu book, the 1444 date shows that AQ was not in control of Erzurum. I'll attach the maps here, maybe it can help you.

AQ 1438-1444 and AQ in 1435
View attachment 764559
(AQ in 1438-1444)
View attachment 764560
(AQ in 1435)

View attachment 764564
(AQ in 1451)

Apologize for the poor quality. Notice the territorial losses from 1435-1444 and to 1451. The Erzurum was under control of the (assumedly) independent AQ Shaykh-Hasan, son of Qara Usman, from 1435-1451 (when his territory was occupied in 1451, as shown in the 3rd map), with his territory fluctuating between Erzurum and Erzincan. By 1444, Erzincan was lost by him. They did regain much of the AQ territory initially, but it was a slow trudge during the civil war.
Thanks for the information, now I can accurately reproduce the political situation in the Middle East and the Caucasus
20211012161002_1.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions:
I though the ban on new provinces would stop discussions here, so it's fun that it keeps going, I'm still reading a lot about the topic i was researching when the ban was announced, religious minorities in the middle east.

I see Aramenian is including some of the provinces I worked on like Donboli and Hakkai, I can mention that most of the van/hakkari area was ruled by the Mahmudi tribe that were yazidis, so I would shrink down the Hakkari provinces giving more land to van and have van start with donboli. If donboli is not made yazidi I'd probably keep it with bitlis.

I see you add a province which looks to be Karadagh, this I was also planning to add as it's mentioned as a qizilbash tribe.

Amadiya, even without yazidi religion is a worthwhile addition to the game, so is the province of bohtan/cicre which is vreally the most independent kurdish principality with bitlis in modern turkey (Hisn Kayfa is only represented because they're ayyubids)

What are the provinces you broke Erzurum into? Also I guess the new province in Erzincan is Harput? personally I'd prioritized Dersim province in that area.

Thanks for the information, now I can accurately reproduce the political situation in the Middle East and the Caucasus
Did you work anything on the arabian peninsula? I was kinda looking into some stuff there a while ago and thought anyway the provinces are very large and wasteland a bit off as nefud is not a wasteland.

Skärmbild (8).png

Made nefud a wasteland (in vanilla could just be an extension of syrian desert)
and generally I really just dislike the current aqabah province

I though the ban on new provinces would stop discussions here, so it's fun that it keeps going, I'm still reading a lot about the topic i was researching when the ban was announced, religious minorities in the middle east.

I see Aramenian is including some of the provinces I worked on like Donboli and Hakkai, I can mention that most of the van/hakkari area was ruled by the Mahmudi tribe that were yazidis, so I would shrink down the Hakkari provinces giving more land to van and have van start with donboli. If donboli is not made yazidi I'd probably keep it with bitlis.

I see you add a province which looks to be Karadagh, this I was also planning to add as it's mentioned as a qizilbash tribe.

Amadiya, even without yazidi religion is a worthwhile addition to the game, so is the province of bohtan/cicre which is vreally the most independent kurdish principality with bitlis in modern turkey (Hisn Kayfa is only represented because they're ayyubids)

What are the provinces you broke Erzurum into? Also I guess the new province in Erzincan is Harput? personally I'd prioritized Dersim province in that area.
This is just a map sketch for mod . Since they will not add new provinces and generally do not answer the questions asked, I will make a dream map myself.
After I make the map, it will try to learn how to create new religions and mission trees
I will do as you propose and give the province of van to the principality of Donboli
It would be helpful if you could draw your proposal for the Kurdish region.
Unless I have to apply one of your older suggestions for the region?
Did you work anything on the arabian peninsula? I was kinda looking into some stuff there a while ago and thought anyway the provinces are very large and wasteland a bit off as nefud is not a wasteland.

View attachment 764709
Made nefud a wasteland (in vanilla could just be an extension of syrian desert)
and generally I really just dislike the current aqabah province
I did not touch the Arabian Peninsula, I would have to look for information on how to correctly present this Region

It would be helpful if you could draw your proposal for the Kurdish region.

I never finished my new kurdistan proposal, it was WIP when the ban hammer fell.

This is an old map covering northern and western kurdistan
1634136811003.png

There are a few things in the north not included like donboli and kilis, was planning on some tweaks in the south but hadn't finished workin out some details around Sulimaniyeh and Khaniqin
I will try to gt back to it and finish the proposal, or if there's a particular part of the map you are trying to find information on I'll see what I can do

After I make the map, it will try to learn how to create new religions and mission trees
That's awesome! Which religions are you planning on?

Map on kurdish tribes
Skärmbild (10).png

map on kurdish language; Zaza language striped in the northwestern corner
Skärmbild (9).png

My main concerns in my research was how to do the territory of Ardalan/southern kurdistan, either I would add a new province, or I would flip kirkuk and suleyman 45 degrees, making a north/south split instead and naming the southern province something else (possibly Khaniqin). Exactly how many provicnes would have Alevi religion I'm not sure about and probably never will, but reading about the Lur involvment with the Safavid and some stuff about the historic extense of the gorani language I would make a fairly significant alevi block in the region with 3-7 contigious provinces having Alevi religion (and I'd still would want to know more about Luri religion)

Seeing how urmia and salmas are not included in the kurdish circle, I'm leaning again to having the province with assyrian culture

Now the question I was working more around in the north was the tags and their overlords. This is also not done.

Map on kurdish tribes
View attachment 764833

map on kurdish language; Zaza language striped in the northwestern corner
View attachment 764832

My main concerns in my research was how to do the territory of Ardalan/southern kurdistan, either I would add a new province, or I would flip kirkuk and suleyman 45 degrees, making a north/south split instead and naming the southern province something else (possibly Khaniqin). Exactly how many provicnes would have Alevi religion I'm not sure about and probably never will, but reading about the Lur involvment with the Safavid and some stuff about the historic extense of the gorani language I would make a fairly significant alevi block in the region with 3-7 contigious provinces having Alevi religion (and I'd still would want to know more about Luri religion)

Seeing how urmia and salmas are not included in the kurdish circle, I'm leaning again to having the province with assyrian culture

Now the question I was working more around in the north was the tags and their overlords. This is also not done.
I think I would make a map like this
caucas.jpg

Last edited:
My tentative redrawal of central zagros mountains, it's very difficult but there are soem glaring issues in the vanilla set up:

Skärmbild (14).png

Ardalan is properly located in the east-central slopes of the zagros mountains, (purple A province) with some rough sketch of the kurdish territory they also ruled, the Hawraman (H) and Goran tribes to the southwest (G) Also they controlled Kirkuk.

Yellow is ethnic (Northern) Lur territory, Here pdx has Khoramabad on the wrong side of the mountain so I moved the entire province. Territory is dominated by the attabegs of little Lorestan https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khorshidi_dynasty

Blue is the territory of Bakhtiari (developed as a distinct group of Lur aound this time, though don't need to be a new culture) the territory had until recently been ruled by the atabegs of big lorestan https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khorshidi_dynasty but was conquered by shah rukh in the 1420's. Now the territory is mostly in the wasteland but as the atabegs manged to hold cities on both sides of the zagros it seems quite obvious that the zagros was crossable at several points.
Also note that Yasuj city is on the eastern side of zagros, not western as the vanilla has it.

I do like having wastelands but the wastelands, but they were clearly udnerresearched by the pdx team (which is admittedly difficult to do, new wasteland need to be more on the scale of the alsp.

Not sure what to do with the old Khoramabad provicne, persian is psoken until the foothills of zagros, so considering just dividing the province between Kirmanshah (mountain part) and Shustar (lowlands part)

Pink circle is territroy with likely/possible Yarsan/Ahl-i Haqq majority
Tribes mentioned as Ahl-I Haqq
ist of tribes that are claimed to be/have been Ah-I Haqq
Possibly Ardalan
Gurani
Hawraman
Possibly kurds of Kermanshah
Kalhur
Sanjabi
Kerindi
Zangana
Jalalvand
possiby fayli kurds
Possibly Bajalan
Possibly majority of Lak, at least some

Lurs?
Zand tribe joining Qizilbash

My latest take on greater south caucasus region:
This is intended for in line with a suggestion for a vanilla update, so slightely fewer provinces
Skärmbild (15).png

Big A: Provinces with Alevi religion and Turcoman culture
Karaman, Dulkadir and Ramazan also have turcoman culture
Color coding indicates area belonging, I drew the map pretty quickly so don't expect exact borders
1: Kayseri, pontic culture orthodox religion
2: Kozan, armenian culture coptic religion (Belongs to Dulkadir)
3: Kilis, kurdish culture yazidi religion (Belongs to MAM with new revolter tag)
4: Dersim, kurdish culture alevi religion (province should extend a little but more northward) (Independent opm or belongs to AQ)
5: Harpoot, armenian culture coptic religion (Belongs to AQ)
6: Gümüshane, pontic or georgian culture, orthodox religion (belongs to TRE)
7: Rize, georgian culture orthodox religion (belongs to TRE)
8A-B: Split Kars to accomodate for one more armenian province
9: Lori, armenian culture coptic religion (belongs to GEO)
10: Cizre, kurdish culture, sunni religion (Kurdish vassal of QQ)
11: Hakkari, Syriac/Assyrian culture, nestorian religion (Independent Hakkari/Tyare tag)
12: Khoy, Kurdish culture Yazidi religion (Belongs to Donboli, vassal of QQ that also holds Van)
13: Amadiya, kurdish culture yazidi religion (Kurdish vassal of QQ)
14: Lankara, mazandari culture shia or alevi religion, (belongs to biapas)
15: Arran, azerbaijani culture sunni religion, (belongs to QQ)
16: Mardin, Assyrian/Syriac culture, coptic religion
17: Sinjar, kurdish culture yazidi religion (independent)
18: Artaz, armenian culture catholic religion (independent)
Also marked out Daylam and Rustamdar provinces in gilan area

Did not mark out provinces in Lebanon.
Here I would also consider splitting Tarabulus in two provinces adding Latakia, thus making two Alawite (Alevi) provinces. I have the name of the major Alawite tribes, not sure which one would fit best for a tag)
Lebanon would be split in Sayda 8Druze) and Beirut (catholic/maronite), and I would also consider having assyrian/syriac culture in Beirut

For armenia, a while ago I was toying with the idea of having armenia not own any tags at game start, instead add 2-3 more armenian revolter tags (Cilicia, Vaspurakan, Dvin) and have armenia as a formable and create 2 different armenian idea set (armenian minors and united armenia) the united Armenia would be rather powerful with a unique focus on vassals and estate