• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In the original CK1 before the Mongols were underpowered, they were literally the black death embodied. As I recall from one game as the King of England, they basically swarmed from Asia, over the HRE, over France, and over Spain.

And then Paradox implemented gavelkind and the Mongols were so weak they couldn't beat the Seljuk Turks. I haven't fought them in CK2, so I don't know where they're at, but judging by that 98k doomstack, they may be a tad overpowered.
Not really, I have added some 40k men to both the Ilkhanate and the Golden Horde yet it usually boils down to the Seljuks or the Persians or Cumans or whomever becoming a hideosuly powerful vassal, keeping all they had previously, and then they rebel every 4 years forcing the Mongols to just sit idly by swathing rebellions never being able to take mor ethan a title each revolt. It usually takes the Ilhanate 30-40 odd years to rub the willpower out of the Turks at which their Tumen are quite depleted, making them a threat of the same level as those the conquered were. Then keeping in mind that so far the Seljuks haven't managed to even put half a dent in the Byzantines in my games... nothing much seems to happen =/

Great aar though, even if it is just "quick and dirty", will keep an eye on this one for sure :)

I should make a note at this point that I'm still running under the old 1.02b released version of the game. I read a couple threads where people had problems with save games after the patch, so I've elected to install the patch after I finish my first playthrough. Incidentally I'm about 30 or so years ahead of the AAR in the game, and I've seen the bset of the times, the worst of times, and some definite hilarity. I don't think the Scandanavian readers will be pleased with what happened to their homelands in future game updates...

Also, for those of you worried about the maps in Rome AARisen, I haven't forgotten... I've just been... well... busy. :)

Basilieus Ioannes II 1220-1241 (Part Two)

While the great hordes made their presence known in the East, Ioannes’ armies settled the last of his rebellions in the West. The Doux of Sicily, guilty of repeated rebellions against the emperor’s majesty, was imprisoned for a final time, and stripped of the County of Hellas, which was rewarded to the loyal Doux of Athens. The Emperor also sent soldiers to Apulia in southern Italy, successfully driving out the Saracen raiders that had conquered the region and naming his distant cousin Nikolaios the new Doux. Yet as this politicking took place, the Mongols settled into their new domains, radically altering the shape of the Near East. From his capital at Samarkand, the Khagan now dominated Persia, and his long shadow loomed ever further to the West.

1hugeilkhanate.jpg

Yet the nobility compelled Ioannes to keep his attention focused closer to home. Of immediate concern was the powerful Despot of Georgia, Alexios Doukas. While he had no claim to the imperial throne itself, he had cousins and allies who did, and he personally ruled a vast realm that included lands as diverse as Adrianopolis and Epieros in addition to Georgia itself. The young Ioannes, growing up quickly, marked him as a threat. Without provocation, however, the Basilieus felt he could not act—so he waited, even as he imprisoned and tortured Princess Anthousa of Dalmatia, Alexios’s sister, for plotting to kill the new Doux of Apulia. Alexios never raised a hand against the Emperor—many thought his sister’s arrest frightened him into becoming a true and loyal subject.

1powerfulgeorgia.jpg

Slowly, through 1226, the other threats within the Empire began to sort themselves out. Ioannes married his sister Euphrasia to the Doux of the Aegean, a man whose lands rivaled those of Georgia, with levies larger than those of the emperor himself. The Doux of Chariason, meanwhile, decided to launch a holy war into Mesopotamia, dragging many of his allies and cousins into the conflict as well. The war served Ioannes’ purposes perfectly—at once, many of the nobility that would have followed Chariason’s banner to war against him now marched against the Seljuk Turk, who after the Shia Caliphate were perhaps the most dangerous nation bordering the empire. In 1227, after losing much of his coin and many of the soldiers of his supporters, the Doux declared his bid for Edessa over, losing much prestige in the court and amongst the nobility. Chariason would no longer be a threat to imperial power.

1charisonlost.jpg

In 1228, the Shia Caliphate erupted into civil war, as the Emirs of Sa’ana, Sinai, and Alexandria all attempted to break from the Caliphal fold. Of greatest interest were the lands of Sa’ana in the far north, hugging the imperial border. The opportunity was there to launch a drive into Palestine, but Ioannes feared raising the levies of his still restless vassals. A war would need to be short, decisive, and winnable with the Emperor’s personal troops as well as the Varangian Guard. So, in February of 1229, Ioannes declared war on Emir Muktar the Holy for the lands of Tripoli. Muktar’s soldiers were farther south in Egypt fighting the Caliph and marched back north in haste. Ioannes’ personal troops from Constantinople, along with the Varangian Guard, caught and surprised the Emir’s 7600 men near Baalbek. The Emir was captured, and his armies put to flight. Immediately, Muktar surrendered the rights to his lands, and was carted off to an imperial dungeon.

1tripolitaken.jpg

Muktar’s defeat did not stop the civil war, however, and under the able leadership of his son and Regent, Isa, Sa’ana conquered the Sinai and emerged as the most powerful of the states warring against the Caliph. Isa moved his capital north to the Sinai, and dispatched his mother to negotiate his father’s release. Ioannes demanded a sum of 300,000 silver dinars, an exorbitant sum, to even consider releasing the Emir—then promptly informed the distraught woman after the money was delivered that her request had been considered, then denied.

1caliphatecivilwar.jpg

In fact, in an irony of ironies, Ioannes had plans to march further south, and wanted coin to finance the expedition. Once the Varangians had been summoned and were prepositioned in Tripoli, the Emperor released the Emir, and promptly declared war on him once more, this time for the lands of Galilee. (Side note: I was unaware that I couldn’t declare war on my prisoners, even if they were of another faith. So I had to release the Emir, then declare war on him again. Buh.) With Muktar barely arriving in Acre before the imperial armies, this war as well was suitably short and decisive. Galilee fell to imperial control officially on New Year’s Day, 1235. Immediately Ioannes passed the title Doux of Galilee and all its subsidiaries to his cousin Nikodemos, Baron of Aulaeitichus, added a third Komnenid Doux to the ranks of the nobility.

1baronnikodemoshappy.jpg

While the Emperor successfully campaigned in the Levant, a disturbing situation developed in nearby Croatia. The Croat king had apparently declared war on the Sultan of distant Bukhara and lost. Somehow, a Bukharan army reached his lands and took the Duchy of Croatia from royal control. To add to the confusion, the Bukharans shortly thereafter went to war with the Mongol Ilkhanate. In an effort to be thorough, the Mongol Khagan, without requesting permission or even notifying Ioannes, ordered two tumen to cross Roman territory and attack Bukharan Croatia. Thus, 17,000 Mongols rode across the Roman Empire lengthwise, causing a great stir but little harm or foul, and promptly laid waste to Croatia. The Roman Empire was thus bracketed between two Mongol domains.

1strangecroatsituation.jpg

This new, disturbing development was enough to spur Ioannes to do something his father and grandmother had considered unfathomable—he issued a decree whereby the nobility were actually required to pay a nominal tax to the crown. The measure was unpopular, despite the dire need for more coin and the small price that was asked, but the nobility acceded to imperial demands. Immediately, imperial revenue nearly doubled, from 32,100 silver per month to 52,600 silver per month. In layman’s terms, the Emperor suddenly could afford an assassination attempt per month, and would still have change left over.

1nobletax2.jpg

August of 1236 marked another blessed event in Ioannes’ reign as well—his eldest son Konstantinos married Alexandra Doukas—no ordinary woman. Behind the Despot of Georgia and the Doux of the Aegean, she was the third largest landholder in the Roman Empire, simultaneously Duchess of Turnovo, Nikaea, Benevento and (after the death of Anthousa) Dalmatia. The marriage was not matrilineal, meaning all of those lands would come into the Komnenoi fold with a son of that union. Another important marriage of note occurred as well—Ioannes sent his cousin Theochriste, a scheming and devilish woman, to the Mongol court at Samarkand where she married the cousin of Khagan Ambaghai. The arrangement marked the beginnings of a long-lasting agreement between the Ilkhanate and the Roman Empire to avoid meddling in each other’s affairs.

1alexandraheirmarried.jpg

Ioannes marked this new alliance with a renewed focus to the south. As the Shia civil war seemed to be drawing to a close with the Caliph emerging triumphant, the Emperor desperately scrambled to conquer Jerusalem from the wayward Sinai Emirate before it was too late. Alas, he was undone, as the Emir abased himself before the Caliph, ending the Roman Empire’s casus belli on the region. Infuriated at being outdone, Ioannes turned his attention further north, seizing the Emirate of Edessa a short, bloody war with the Turks.

1warforedessa.jpg

Ioannes then named his son Konstantinos as Prince of Edessa. Konstantinos’ younger brother, Prince Daniel, openly complained that he was being overlooked while his elder brother received both a choice bride and new lands. Wary of Daniel’s skill at scheming, Ioannes married his second son off to the Duchess of Pest, hoping that removing Daniel from his realm might end any nascent threat the envious prince had to his older brother. No sooner had Daniel left than joyous news arrived—Konstantinos’ wife had given birth to a son, named Ioannes.

Less than two weeks later, Konstantinos died, vomiting blood, and baby less than a month old became the heir to the Roman Empire…

1konstantinosdead.jpg

"I'm absolutely positive that his crying means slay the Turk..."

One month old babe the heir? Ouch.

I don't know what to think of this. Your politics are quite *puts on glasses* Byzantine YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

But on a serious note, great writing, and subed

"In layman’s terms, the Emperor suddenly could afford an assassination attempt per month, and would still have change left over."

Brilliant. I wish modern economics was this easily explained!

Don't give Merkel ideas...

A baby now heir, Mongols on both sides but at least enough cash to launch an assassination attempt each month. Intriguing stuff.

Yoiks, let's hope Ioannes proves to be long-lived. For at least another sixteen years or so...

Can you make Daniel your heir? Sure, he's an ungrateful scheming bastard, but he has the decided advantage of not being less than 30 days out of the womb...

I agree, with your monthly assassination allotment, you should be able to thin the Mongols' ranks a bit. The important bits of it, at least. :)

Smart move not converting BT it ended up corrupting the save files for my game where my dynasty went from Italian Crusaders to Maghreb Catholics fighting for their independence from a monolithic HRE.

Well, time for some observations, at least on the 1.02 version of the game:

1) I love the interface for the game. When running an Empire as large as my Byzantium (at last count, 58 separate vassals), getting information on my charges, and especially what they want and what they're planning, is vital. Paradox did a bang up job keeping this mountain of information within quick and easy reach. A couple clicks has led me to many a brewing plot before the plotters even started the kettle. That said...
2) Assassinations are an insanely powerful, but vital tool for running a realm this big. With that many vassals, my spymaster is usually busy traveling the realm setting up spy networks, specifically to undo pesky nobles. As long as the spymaster is present, the majority of the time your chances of killing the target far outweigh the chances of being caught, and as stated, with a Byzantine income, assassination is cheap. Now that said...
3)Succession wars are too easy, if you have a spymaster you can move into position and the coin for a little assassin spamming. To defeat a pretender, you merely need to kill them and the war magically ends. Perhaps there should be some mechanic where sometimes those involved in the war (especially if the original pretender dragged half or more of your vassals to his side) declare for the pretender's successor and press on with the war. It would make succession wars even more hairy. So far, I have had one (sometime in the future of this AAR) that got very hairy because my spymaster was on campaign and couldn't be assigned. You'll all find out shortly how that turned out. :)

Working on the last part of Ioannis' reign in Word, it'll probably be up later tonight.

Basilieus Ioannes II, 1241-1268 (Part Three)

Ioannes had little time to grieve. The Emperor reacted quickly, sending assassins to kill the mother of his grandchild to ensure her lands passed to her son (and to prevent her from remarrying, and breeding half-brothers with troublesome claims). The Duchess was a kindhearted woman, but Ioannes had heard far too many tales from his grandfather of ‘kindhearted nobles’ who suddenly grew hearts of iron at the most inopportune time. Alexandra had far too much control over the boy who would inherit an Empire—kindly disposition or no, she had to go. When the Emperor heard a tale of his second son, the new Duke of Pest, cackling at his brother’s murder, more assassins left Constantinople. Duke Daniel did not live to see the next fortnight—such was the vengeance of a father shamed and hurt.

2alexadramurdered.jpg

Meanwhile the Emir of the Sinai broke free from the Fatimid Caliphs once more, and Ioannes focused his rage into a swift campaign to take Jerusalem. Unlike last time, the Emperor actually reached the walls of the Holy City, the first Christian ruler to do so since the days of Heraklios. For eight months Ioannes put the place under siege with fire and works, only to have the Emir once again sign a peace with the Caliph that invalidated his war. Empty handed, the Emperor and his army marched home, their anger hot at being snubbed yet again.

2jerusalem2.jpg

Not even a quick war to the West to secure Salerno with his ‘colleague,’ the Holy Roman Emperor, could assuage Ioannes’ fury. In 1247, the man the Saracens had labeled “Pale Death,” rode out of Constantinople once more at the head of 12,000 levies and the 6,000 strong Varangian Guard, intent on succeeding where the now long dead Doux of Chariason had failed—taking Aleppo from Saracen hands. For the first time, Ioannes tasted defeat—his column of 8,000 men was attacked by nearly double his number, led personally by the Caliph. Ioannes barely escaped with his life, and lost half of those men. The Emperor’s armies retreated in confusion to Antioch, where some advised Ioannes to abandon the campaign like the Doux had done long before.

But Ioannes would not be dissuaded. Furious at being bested by a man he now regarded as a personal rival, the Emperor called up the levies of Chariason, Armenia and Samos, and by next spring he had three armies of 15,000 each pouring into the Emirate. Outside of Homs, the Emperor met the Caliph once more, but this time with an advantage of 18,000 to 10,000. Caliph Zakariyyah II’s army was slaughtered. After two more years of sieges, Aleppo and one neighboring county were secured and in the Christian hands for the first time since the Franks had been driven out 80 years before. In celebration, the Emperor named his youngest son, Andronikos, the new Doux of the region.

2aleppo.jpg

About this time a young man named Burchard von Chemigen came to court in Constantinople, appealing to the Emperor to aid him in regaining lands that were rightfully his. Ioannes was not inclined to listen to the blatherings of a mere German, until the lad mentioned the name of his title: Calabria. The region was the last portion of southern Italy not under imperial control, and had the potential to become a thorn in the side of the Empire there. Ioannes then agreed to press Burchard’s claim, if he bound himself as a Doux to be a true and loyal vassal to the True Emperor. Burchard agreed, and a 6,000 man expeditionary force quickly secured the region while the German kingdom fell into another civil war.

2securingsouthernitaly.jpg

By 1255, Ioannes’ grandson and namesake had finally reached adulthood. He had a reputation for being quick to anger and slothful, but he was friendly enough. Ioannes had high hopes that his grandson would learn in Edessa how to navigate a ship of state. The future of the Empire rested on his shoulders.

2ioannesgrownup.jpg

The young man’s grandmother, however, passed away during this time. According to Symeon of Athos, in his old age the Emperor had become a man “besot with the bedchamber,” with proclivities his elderly Empress, Margarita, could not handle. Thus, barely a month after her passing, the Emperor sent agents out across Europe, and by the month after they all had written of the beauty (and, allegedly, the skill) of Princess Eadgyth of England. Accordingly, Ioannis sent her father, King Estmond, a letter requesting her hand. He agreed, and the 55 year old Emperor was married to his 16 year old bride on September 6th, 1255. This union, and the children thereof, would bring nothing but woe for the Empire.

2ioannesmarrieseadgyth.jpg

While the Emperor proclaimed a week of feasts in honor of his new wife, one of his vassals declared a week of preparation for war. Doux Konstantinos Murzophoulos of Achaia, appointed to the position in the place of a rebellious Doukas, was young, ambitious, and keen to make a name for himself. Wisely, he saw that striking against the throne would be foolish. Instead, as his advisors noted the weaknesses of the Sultans of Africa in Tunis, the Doux planned to strike at Cyrenaica, using his status as an imperial vassal as a shield to protect his homeland. Ioannis was informed of the Doux’s sailing in the midst of his wedding feasts—reportedly, the Emperor laughed and wished the headstrong young man the best of luck, but refused to send any other aid. From Ioannis’ perspective, an ambitious noble was kept busy, as was a Muslim power in Africa—all at little risk to the Emperor or his Empire itself.

2achaiainnorthafrica.jpg

Doux Konstantinos fought bravely and valiantly over the next two years, suffering defeat and deprivation outside of Benghazi, and triumph and victory outside of Cyrene. Coming under attack from Frankish crusaders directly assaulting Tunis, the Sultan finally agreed in 1257 to cede poor, pointless Cyrenaica to the Doux. From such hardscrabble beginnings, however, was the Murzophoulos legend born, and the seeds for the Roman Empire in Africa re-sown.

The Doux of Achaia’s success against Muslims, without imperial support, did not go unnoticed. In Edessa, young Prince Ioannis took note, and began collecting allies of his own. In 1258, he unilaterally declared war on the Seljuk Turks over the lands of Mosul. Despite the Doux raising a host of mercenaries, the Turks quickly destroyed his armies. Rather than surrendering, the heir to the Empire began to call in allies. By 1260, Edessa had been joined by Kartli, Armenia, Antioch, Galilee, Tripoli and Chariason—a force that should have been a vast and mighty host, save none of the Doux involved cooperated whatsoever. Instead of facing a united force, the Turks were faced with endless smaller columns attacking their lands piecemeal. The war went on for bloody season after bloody season, with the Emperor, by the laws of the realm, powerless to stop the useless waste of good soldiers and coin. Ioannis instead could only pray for his grandson’s continued safety, and make bloody plans of his own.

2heirattackingtheturks.jpg

Far more was on the Emperor’s plate than just Mosul. Far to the north, another band of Mongols, calling themselves the Golden Horde, had thundered into the lands of the Rus. Taking a wide northern arc, they’d destroyed the Russian principalities of Novgorod and Perm, then the lands of the Finns, before destroying the enclaves of the Danes and the Swedes in Lithuania. Eventually, the Horde built ships and sailed directly for Danish and Swedish lands. Both kings by 1260 had knelt as vassals before the Mongol khagan in order to preserve their lives. While the Horde showed no inclination to go south yet, there was no telling if these new Mongols would stay their hands for all time.

2goldenhordepath.jpg

Edessa’s war for Mosul did serve another purpose, however—with the Seljuk Turks tied down fighting a motley assortment of Roman nobles, the slowly recovering Shia Caliphate, whole once more but still reeling from the long series of civil wars, had lost it’s most valuable ally in the region. The Emperor decided the time was ripe to press one last claim for the Holy City. No sooner had word gone out to muster the Varangians did a herald arrive in the Queen of Cities with urgent news—the great Ilkhans had converted to Sunni Islam. The Emperor’s war preparations reached a new fever pitch—it was only a matter of time before the Mongols, now motivated by their own religious cause, also sought to take the Holy City.

2holywardirectlyforjerusalem.jpg
2ilkhanateconversion.jpg

The Emperor mobilized the Varangians, his personal levies, as well as those of his loyal vassal the Doux of Nikaea to press the attack. In total some 30,000 men, in three armies, left Constantinople and Prusa, landing at Tyrus and marching south between March and May of 1261. Once again, Ioannis himself laid siege to the Holy City, with another force besieging Beersheb and a third at Ascalon. Caliph Zakariyah II once again proved a wily foe—he recruited mercenaries of his own, and managed to destroy the Doux of Nikaea’s army at Ascalon. The Emperor was forced to break off his siege, and unite with the Varangians to face the Caliph’s 15,000 in the field. The Battle of Nazareth was protracted, bloody affair, leaving 4,000 Romans and 8,000 Egyptians dead, but it broke the back of the Caliph. His armies retreated south, and the Romans were free to besiege the region, stronghold by stronghold. In December of 1262, a year after declaring war, the Caliph agreed to the humiliating Treaty of Acre, whereby Jerusalem was signed over to the Roman Empire. Bells pealed for joy throughout Christendom, while Islam went into mourning.

2jerusalemtaken.jpg

His life’s goal accomplished, in 1264 the increasingly infirm Ioannis finally turned his attention back to the still ongoing Edessan war against the Turk. Fearful that his grandson might suffer some horrible fate should the war go on too long, the Emperor resolved to force it to a conclusion. As the Turks held parts of the lands of the Doux of Aleppo, Ioannis declared war to recover the rights of his vassal. As an added menace, for the first, and only time in his reign, he called forth every vassal and banner available within the Empire, hoping to advertise his strength before a severe trial by arms. Almost immediately the Turks concluded a peace treaty with the Doux of Edessa, granting all his demands. Less than a month later, after Aleppo itself fell after a short siege, they agreed before the massed banners of the Empire to cede the Doux of Aleppo his rightful lands. It would be the Emperor’s last campaign.

2byzantinearmy.jpg

2forcinganendtomosulwar.jpg

Ioannis II, called “the Young” for taking the throne when only a few months old, suffered a fall during a hunt in 1266. Despite the best care, his broken leg refused to mend, and repeated infection and putrification set in. The Emperor’s physical condition rapidly deteriorated, but his mind remained sharp. He advised his grandson to come to Constantinople, and openly told him a list of men he thought would conspire against him. The younger Ioannis, confident in his martial skills honed against the Turks and feared by all, was sure that assassins would not be needed. It was advice the future Emperor should have heeded.

On July 13th, 1268, Ioannis II passed from this world. He died the most prestigious Emperor since Konstantinos Megas (12000+!), the Liberator of Jerusalem, a man both loved and feared by all. While not earning it, few would doubt that the late Emperor deserved such monikers as “the Conqueror” and “the Great.” His grandson, now Ioannis III, would come to the throne seeking to rise out of that immense shadow.

2ioannesdies.jpg

Alas, it was not to be…

OUTSIDE OF GAME: So ends Ioannes II’s ridiculously long (and successful) run as Byzantine Emperor. I used the same tactics I did while playing the Byzantines in the original game—I waited for the Muslim powers nearby to fall into civil war, and then picked at them with my personal levies, and avoided stirring my vassals as much as possible. In retrospect, the second marriage to Eadgyth was a mistake… you all will shortly see why.

The War for Aleppo with the Turks was solely done on my part to force an end to the Mosul mess. I didn’t want my heir being killed or maimed by a Turkish arrow before he got to inherit, obviously. And the war went pretty much as described… I mobilized the entire Empire mostly out of curiousity at seeing that sum of soldiers in the ledger. No sooner had I taken a castle with my army did the Turks surrender. Maybe the difference in mobilized soldiers influences how quickly the AI sues for peace?

And yes, the Golden Horde decided to rampage Scandanavia, of all places. For the life of me I cannot fathom how, or why. When they appeared, I almost assumed they’d head across Russia and then turn south after me. That the Khagan ends up in Copenhagen still makes me laugh.

And for the record, here is the Roman Empire in 1206, when Ioannes was still under a Regency as a 7 year old:

empirein1206.jpg

Territory wise, the Empire had actually shrunk since its height under his grandmother Anthousa Doukas. Here is the Empire on the day of his death, in 1268:

empirein1268.jpg

Huzzah! The Empire stands at its greatest extent in six centuries, and even has lands in Africa thanks to the resourceful Doux of Achaia! So Ioannes has built everything up, next we’ll get to see how well this edifice stands against a whole slew of threats, chief of which is bad luck.

Splendid!

I assume the Byzantine military strategy is to invite all 90,000 Mongol soldiers to a banquet, specially spiced by a certain Aegean monk.

Also, poor baby Ioannes. With Uncle Daniel in exile (instead of prison), I can only assume he is not long for this world.

Edit: I spoke too soon.

Last edited:
The Golden Horde got a rewamp under the newest patch IIRC, going after the richest provinces, ie yours, before Scandinavia. So be glad you didn't convert!;)

I voted for the General in the CK II AAR contest in the hope that he wins the Paradox Complete Bundle and as a reward for us faithful readers, we get a new narrative AAR with CK II.