Steam review rating headed to Overwhelmingly Negative - do we get the 5th research slot back?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Cerealcat

Corporal
46 Badges
Sep 26, 2021
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Prison Architect
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
As the Steam review rating for HOI4 is headed toward Overwhelmingly Negative, I got to thinking whether we would get the 5th research slot back for the TOA nations that lost it. I think so! We will get the 5th slot back, even though I agree with Paradox that 4 research slots is plenty. There are only about 1,000 days of critical research each year, so we can actually do just fine with 3 slots.

Paradox's history for HOI4 demonstrates an inverse relationship between a DLC's Steam rating and post-release effort. The higher the Steam rating, the less resources allocated post-release. The lower the Steam rating, the more resources made available. BBA has negative ratings, and received monthly War Effort and a map with roads. AAT initially had positive ratings, and received limited patches.

Since TOA is on its way to the worst Steam rating possible of Overwhelming Negative, it seems reasonable to anticipate that Paradox will allocate the highest level of resources toward resolving bugs and balance issues.

Returning the 5th research slot to the TOA nations that lost it is an easy way to appease players. It makes more sense from a long-term gameplay perspective to implement a change so that every nation is limited to 4 slots, but that would take a lot of resources with limited return on the investment. A few players like me might celebrate taking research away from nearly every nation, but that's not enough to justify the cost.

I suspect some of the nerfs to Argentina and Chile will be reversed. Like the 5th research slot issue, I agree with Paradox that there was a balance issue that needed to be addressed. However, those nations start so weak, that perhaps being a little too strong isn't so bad. AAT nations have a greater imbalance. At the time of this post, there seem to be far more YouTube videos that start with [AAT nation] is so broken/OP!!!, than [TOA] nation is so broken/OP!!!! Instead of reversing the TOA nerfs, Paradox could nerf AAT nations, but that also takes resources and may hurt the AAT Steam rating.

What else do you think Paradox will spend resources on? Making a map with roads, or a roadmap? Fixing pre-TOA formable nations? Releasing for free the pre-order songs, since they cannot be purchased or otherwise acquired? My vote is to release Bella Ciao to everyone!

• 4Haha
Reactions:
As the Steam review rating for HOI4 is headed toward Overwhelmingly Negative, I got to thinking whether we would get the 5th research slot back for the TOA nations that lost it. I think so! We will get the 5th slot back, even though I agree with Paradox that 4 research slots is plenty. There are only about 1,000 days of critical research each year, so we can actually do just fine with 3 slots.

Paradox's history for HOI4 demonstrates an inverse relationship between a DLC's Steam rating and post-release effort. The higher the Steam rating, the less resources allocated post-release. The lower the Steam rating, the more resources made available. BBA has negative ratings, and received monthly War Effort and a map with roads. AAT initially had positive ratings, and received limited patches.

Since TOA is on its way to the worst Steam rating possible of Overwhelming Negative, it seems reasonable to anticipate that Paradox will allocate the highest level of resources toward resolving bugs and balance issues.

Returning the 5th research slot to the TOA nations that lost it is an easy way to appease players. It makes more sense from a long-term gameplay perspective to implement a change so that every nation is limited to 4 slots, but that would take a lot of resources with limited return on the investment. A few players like me might celebrate taking research away from nearly every nation, but that's not enough to justify the cost.

I suspect some of the nerfs to Argentina and Chile will be reversed. Like the 5th research slot issue, I agree with Paradox that there was a balance issue that needed to be addressed. However, those nations start so weak, that perhaps being a little too strong isn't so bad. AAT nations have a greater imbalance. At the time of this post, there seem to be far more YouTube videos that start with [AAT nation] is so broken/OP!!!, than [TOA] nation is so broken/OP!!!! Instead of reversing the TOA nerfs, Paradox could nerf AAT nations, but that also takes resources and may hurt the AAT Steam rating.

What else do you think Paradox will spend resources on? Making a map with roads, or a roadmap? Fixing pre-TOA formable nations? Releasing for free the pre-order songs, since they cannot be purchased or otherwise acquired? My vote is to release Bella Ciao to everyone!
The overwhelmingly negative has nothing to do with not having a 5th research slot. According to the DD where the Devs address the reviews (https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...-thoughts-patch-1-14-2-checksum-fbf7.1630169/) & the general consensus I've seen on the forums, the reviews are a mix of people angry at the choice of countries, the lack of mechanics, and the price.

• 9Like
Reactions:
Somehow I doubt it, but hey, I've been wrong before. My genuine expectation is that they're planning to hold out until a tech rework, at which point there will be a new system entirely.

I've expressed my opinion regarding this once and too lazy to repeat it here lol

But the negative reviews are more regarding towards the pricing itself, not about a few countries' unavailability for 5th research slot.

Reactions:
Can we please not have another battle in the Research Slot Wars?
It's too late, we have no kwisatz haderach to lead us through the narrow path. It's once again time for holy war.

• 6Haha
Reactions:
I doubt that number of slots have too large effect. Still, its one of the ‘features’ that seems mostly popular with people not playing the nations receiving said ‘feature’, and i suppose it contributes to the mixed reception by those actually interested in playing these nations.

Hopefully they can implement a solution that retains fewer slots while being a minor but allow the superpower to do research on par with most minors, like they did with the generic focus tree.

giphy.gif

• 13Haha
Reactions:
Sadly seems that we still need to have one of the majors capitulate, so I assume we won't see any peace until then.
It's pretty cool getting to be a major.
Now if only that let me research 5 things in parallel :p.

• 2Haha
Reactions:
dude no.

it has nothing to do with this and everything to do with how absurdly overpriced it is

• 2Like
Reactions: