• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I second thehe Housing Renovation and Investment Act, the Land Lease/Sale Authorisation Act, the Openness in Government Act and the Campaign Finance Act.

*The secretary - Kipp, aka "Secretary" - briefly checks the files and informs Cojuanco that the bills in question have already been seconded*

*A letter arrives from the President's Chief of Staff*

Mr. Speaker the President has concerns over the ability of the GA to demand reports from the Executive Branch. A report of our liking and format will, however, be put forth in the next several days as part of the efforts to find money for aid to New Bengal.

Barkeep49 said:
*A letter arrives from the President's Chief of Staff*

Mr. Speaker the President has concerns over the ability of the GA to demand reports from the Executive Branch. A report of our liking and format will, however, be put forth in the next several days as part of the efforts to find money for aid to New Bengal.
*Letter from the Speaker's Office to the President's Office*

The Speaker's Office
General Assembly of Eutopia
Eutopia City​
Mr. President,

thank you for your commitment to providing the General Assembly with an interim report. Let me note that the Speaker's Office did not in fact issue a *demand* for such reports from the Executive Branch, but only issued a request. It is in the best interest of Eutopians that different branches of government share information that enables government as a whole to discharge its duties effectively. I am delighted that you seem to be of a similar opinion, and have every confidence that your comprehensive report will aim to ensure that the General Assembly can fulfill its mandate to serve the interest of the Eutopian people.

Yours faithfully,
Jerome Vandelft
Speaker of the General Assembly

New Bengal Reconstruction Act

Part I. Voluntary Funding

A. Any minister or the President may voluntarily submit an unused portion of their budget to fund reconstruction in New Bengal to be spent as shown in Part III.

B. This funding will be in effect only until the end of this term and does not constitute a permanent decrease in the budget of the affected area. The normal funding level shall immediately resume in the next term.

Part II. Involuntary Funding

A. Any two members of the GA may propose a temporary involuntary decrease in funding for a ministry with-in 1 week (OOC: Real time for all times unless otherwise specified) of the passage of this act to be spent as shown in Part III. The members should specify the reasons for seeking the temporary decrease.

B. The minister shall have at least 3 days to submit his reasons for supporting or not supporting the decrease.

C. After 10 days all decreases, with accompanying statements from the respective ministers, shall be submitted before the GA as emergency legislation.

D. After no more than 2 days of debate each decrease shall be voted upon separately. All such votes shall run concurrently.

E. Any decrease receiving more than 50% of the vote of the GA shall be passed to the President for signature or veto. The President may sign or veto each decrease as he sees fit with-in 36 hours. Any decrease not veto or signed with-in 36 hours will be automatically approved.

F. Any decrease in funding will be in effect only until the end of this term and does not constitute a permanent decrease in the budget of the affected area. The normal funding level shall immediately resume in the next term.

Part III. Distribution of Funds
A. All funds will be given to the Tilapian government to be distributed as they see best. All moneys will continue to be monitored by the open accounting system that Tilapia has already established.
A. A 7 person board shall be established to distribute the funds allocated in Parts I and II.

B. 3 members of the board shall be appointed by the Tilapian Federal Government

C. 3 members of the board shall be appointed by the Provincial New Bengal Government

D. The chairperson shall be approved by at least 6 members of the board and shall have permanent residence with-in the United Provinces of Eutopia. The chairman shall vote only in the case of a tie.

(OOC: Key bold equals current italics equals previous submission)

Last edited:
Mr. Speaker please strike Part III as written and insert the following

Part III.

A. All funds will be given to the Tilapian government to be distributed as they see best. All moneys will continue to be monitored by the open accounting system that Tilapia has already established.

As the New Bengal Reconstution bill has now been proposed, seconded, and recieved the ECB impact statement, I ask that it be considered as emergency legislation.

Barkeep49 said:
As the New Bengal Reconstution bill has now been proposed, seconded, and recieved the ECB impact statement, I ask that it be considered as emergency legislation.
The New Bengal Reconstruction Act does not meet the criteria of an emergency bill. The request is therefore denied.

*The Speaker's Office sends out a letter to the Senior Legislators of all parties*
The Speaker's Office
Eutopia City​
Esteemed colleagues,

as you will be aware, the President has proposed a bill regarding the funding of reconstruction efforts for New Bengal. The Speaker's Office is currently considering whether this bill merits fast-tracking. Due to the nature of the issue at hand, I would appreciate it if you could let me know whether, in your estimation, your party and caucus have had sufficient opportunity to fully explore and discuss possible sources for reconstruction funding, as outlined by the motion to suspend debate on the TRRA.

Yours faithfully,
Jerome Vandelft

*The Speaker's Office sends out a follow-up letter to the Senior Legislators of the PL, ENP and PEL*

The Speaker's Office
Eutopia City​
Esteemed colleagues,

as per my previous note, please advise the Speaker's Office as soon as possible whether your party and caucus have had sufficient time to explore sources for reconstruction funding. Given the time-sensitive nature of the matter, I will unfortunately have to proceed without your input if I do not hear from you by the time a vote on the Property Defense Rights Act is called.

Yours faithfully,
Jerome Vandelft

I move to amend Rule 8 of the GA rules to read:

8. 51 votes must be cast for the vote on the matter for a quorum to be considered present. When a quorum is present, a majority vote, that is a majority of the votes cast, ignoring abstentions, is sufficient for the adoption of any motion that is in order, except for constitutional amendments and overides of vetos, which require a two-thirds vote. On a tie vote the motion is lost.

Based on the (lack of) feedback received from Senior Legislators, the Speaker's Office rules that the New Bengal Reconstruction Act will be fast-tracked. The proposed changes to the GA-floor rules will likewise be fast-tracked.

"I'd like to propose this bill, which was co-authored by Reverend Park

Eutopian Minimum Wage Act (Revised)

Whereas previous laws establishing a minimum wage have been assessed in ducats, a currency we no longer use in Eutopia and

Whereas it is of advantage to a nation that its workers are paid a similar wage to those doing similar jobs,

Be it established that

I. A national mimimum wage shall be established.

II. This minimum wage shall be assessed hourly and shall at the very least be equal to 40% of the average hourly wage.

III. All workers over the age of 18 shall have this amount as their minimum wage with the following exceptions:

A: Workers aged 16 or 17 shall have as their minimum wage 80% of this amount.
B: Employers may count tips or gratuities received by the employees for up to 50% of the minimum wage.
C: Employers may count sales commissions paid to the employees for up to 50% of the minimum wage.
D: Workers enrolled in an on-the-job training program registered with the Ministry of Finance shall have as their minimum wage 50% of the standard minimum wage. Such on-the-job training programs are limited to one year maximum duration and no individual is eligible to participate in more than one such program in the same industry. The Ministry Finance may revoke registrations for training programs that do not provide significant training.

IV. A Committee for the Oversight of the Minimum Wage (COMW) shall be set up by the Minister of Finance as he sees fit.

V. This COMW shall analyse the state of the economy and job market bearing these and any other such factors as may be appropriate in mind may propose increasing the minimum wage above the level given in section I as they believe to be appropriate.

VI. Failure to pay the minimum wage to any worker shall result in the employer receiving a fine of at least $10000 and the worker shall receive the moneys he was illegally denied plus 25% on top. Should any employer fail to pay the minimum wage three times criminal charges may be brought against it and the government may seize and auction its assets.

VII. The punishment for failing on three separate occasions to pay the minimum wage shall be between 2 and 5 years in prison and a fine not less than $50000.

An impact report will follow when it is completed

RB"

There is a knock on the door to Jerome's 'spacious' attic offices, and Kipp, his secretary, sticks his head into Vandelft's office after the day's business on the GA floor has concluded.

"Per Vandelft? There's a Per Jonathan Perez to see you sir...the Tilapian Ambassador. He wants to know if you have a minute."

Certainly. Please show him in. *After Kipp leaves, Jerome quickly frees up one of the two visitor chairs - which had, until then, chiefly served as an impressive example of Jerome's "vertical filing system."*