• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(1522)

Mostly harmless
Mar 4, 2001
Visit site
*Jerome, after surveying his new domain, decides that the Speaker's office suite is in desperate need of some TLC. With parliamentary business on-going, renovations will take most of Term 14. The Speaker's offices are temporarily relocated to a little used part of the Assembly-building. The attic, to be precise. It's tight, it's stuffy, and it has no view to speak of. It does, however, have lots of particularly annoying pigeons outside the windows. Ah, the perks of high office...*

GA Votes, Term 14
GA Floor Rules
List of Caucus Officers

Current Votes
None

On the Floor
Bill E21B-14: New Bengal Reconstruction Act (ECB report published)

Awaiting the Floor

Emergency Bills
None

Fast Tracked Bills
Bill E22-14: Bill to Amend the GA-Floor Rules (no ECB report required)

Seconded Bills: With an ECB Impact Report or not Requiring an ECB Impact Report
Bill E5-14: Equal Access to Marriage Amendment (ECB report published)
Bill E2-14: Tax Relief and Reform Act (ECB report published)
-- Glasser amendment
Bill E6-14: Eutopian Federal Mortgage Guarantee Corporation Establishment Act (ECB report published)
Bill E7-14: Naval Aquisition Act (ECB report published)
Bill E8-14: Clean Technology Act (ECB report published)
Bill E9-14: Housing Renovation & Investment Act (ECB report published)
Bill E10-14: Land Lease/Sale Authorization Act (ECB report published)
Bill E12-14: Openness in Government Act (ECB report published)
Bill E15-14: Campaign Finance Act (ECB report published)
Bill E16-14: An Amendment to the Constitution Regarding Executive Succession (no ECB report required)

Seconded Bills: Without an ECB Impact Report
Bill E13-14: The Substance Abuse Rehabilitation for Young Offenders Act (ECB report pending)
Bill E18-14: Mandatory Tobacco Labelling Act (ECB report pending)
Bill E19-14: The Tobacco Limits Act (ECB report pending)
Bill E23-14: Eutopian Minimum Wage Act (ECB report pending)

Unseconded Bills
Bill E11-14: Reformed Firearms Regulation Act (ECB report published)
Bill E14-14: Eutopian Act (ECB report published)
Bill E17-14: A Resolution for a National Day Of Prayer and Remembrance Of the Late President Alexi Gonzov (ECB report pending)

Withdrawn and Dismissed Bills
Bill E20-14: Tilapian-New Bengal Aid Package (ECB report pending) - withdrawn

Last edited:
General Assembly Votes, Term 14

1. Phillipe-Leary-Glasser Budget Amendment Passed 100 - 0
2. Bill E1B-14: Term XIV Budget Passed 100 - 0
3. Motion to table debate on the Tax Relief and Reform Act Passed 97 - 3
4. Speaker election, Glasser vs. Zhokhyen Glasser elected 91 - 9
5. Speaker election, Sykes vs. Vandelft Vandelft elected 57 - 43
6. Bill E3B-14: Vehicle Exhaust Regulations Bill Passed 87 - 13
7. Motion to suspend debate on the Tax Relief and Reform Act Passed 100 - 0
8. Cojuanco Amendment to Property Defense Rights Act Failed 38 - 47
9. Bill E4C-14: Property Defense Rights Act Passed 54 - 38 // VETOED

Last edited:
General Assembly Floor Rules

I. General Procedure

1. A "point of order" is always in order and requires an immediate ruling from the Speaker. A member of the General Assembly may challenge that ruling by stating "division", upon which an immediate vote shall be called to decide the matter.

2. Bills shall be introduced by submitting them to the Speaker's office. Seconds shall also be filed with the Speaker's office. When the Speaker or his deputy announces that a bill is to be debated now on the floor, the proposer shall make available copies of the proposed bill to the members of the General Assembly (OOC: post in the GA thread). The proposer will have the right to speak first on his bill.

3. All motions filed at the Speaker's office shall be a matter of public record.

4. A properly introduced bill with a proper second is required to have a vote, unless withdrawn by the author or dismissed by the Speaker.

5. Bills shall be amended by one of two means:
- The author accepts the proposed amendment as his own and willingly incorporates into his proposal
- The author rejects the proposal. In that case, the amendment will require a second to proceed. In the event of a second, a vote shall be taken after sufficient debate to decide if the amendment is attached to the proposal against the will of the author. A simple majority is all that is required.

6. Debate can end by one of three means:
- The Speaker rules debate has ended.
- Senior legislators representing parties that comprise a majority of the General Assembly move to end debate.
- A member of the General Assembly moves to end debate and the motion is seconded, then an immediate vote shall take place. A simply majority is all that is required to end debate.

7. The voting period for standard bills shall be no less than 48 hours (OOC: RL) unless all votes are cast before that time. The Speaker is authorized to create a longer voting window when the vote is called.

8. A quorum of 51 votes cast is required for any proposal to take affect.

II. Legislative Priority, Fast Track Legislation, and Emergency Legislation

1. Legislation which has a second and an ECB approved Fiscal Impact Report (or does not require a impact report) shall be the third priority. Bills that have a proper second shall be next (fourth) in priority. Chronological order of the original submission shall determine which bills in the same priority level will be considered first.

2. Legislation that is of a time sensative nature or addresses an immediate and compelling national need or interest can be fast tracked by one of three means:
- The author of the bill requests the Speaker authorize his bill as a fast track bill and the Speaker approves. The Speaker may not fast track his own proposals. Instead he must ask for the Deputy Speaker's approval in the matter. Or ...
- Senior Legislators representing parties that comprise a majority of the General Assembly, move for a bill to be fast tracked. These requests are to be filed at the Speaker's office. Or ...
- The author requests permission to fast track his legislation from the author's of the bills that currently have priority above his. For every author that grants permission, the proposal in question shall be given priority over. These requests and acceptance of the request are to be filed at the Speaker's office.

Once fast tracked, the proposal shall be given second priority, and normally would become the next matter for the body to consider, in the absence of any previously fast tracked legislation or emergency legislation.

3. Legislation that addresses matters that require an immediate action on the part of the General Assembly for the sake of the nation can be declared emergency legislation by one of two means:
- The author of the bill requests the Speaker authorize his bill as an emergency bill and the Speaker approves. The Speaker may not declare his own proposals emergency bills. Instead he must ask for the Deputy Speaker's approval in the matter. Or ...
- Senior Legislators representing parties that comprise a majority of the General Assembly, move for a bill to be an emergency bill. These requests are to be filed at the Speaker's office.

Emergency legislation shall immediately supercede all motions on the floor. Debate on the current motion shall cease until the emergency legislation has been properly addressed. The Speaker is also authorized to allow a shorter voting window for emergency legislation (OOC: 24 hours).

III. Other Powers and Duties of the Speaker

1. The Speaker shall be required to appoint a Deputy Speaker in a timely manner (OOC: 3 Days after his election). The Deputy Speaker shall perform the duties of the office of Speaker in the absence of the Speaker. Should the Speaker be removed or vacate his office, the Deputy Speaker shall conduct an election for a new speaker.

2. The Speaker is empowered to dismiss bills as frivolous, obstructionist, or repetitive.

3. The Speaker is empowered to temporarily remove members of the General Assembly who act in a manner that obstructs or distracts the General Assembly from its purposes of democracy, good government, and responsible legislation.

IV. Checks on the power of the Speaker

1. In matters of the Speaker ruling on ending debate, dismissing bills, approving fast track or emergency legislation, and temproarily dismissing members of the General Assembly the Speaker can be overruled by two methods:
- Senior legislators representing parties that comprise a majority of the General Assembly make a motion to overrule the Speaker.
- A vote is held and passes, after the proper introduction and seconding of a motion to overrule the Speaker.

2. The Speaker shall not be allowed to serve as Senior Legislator to his own party. If the Senior Legislator of a party is elected to the office of Speaker, he shall be required to resign and his party appoint a new Senior Legislator.

V. Vacating the office of Speaker

Should the Speaker take an unannounced absence exceeding 5 days (OOC: RL), the General Assembly is empowered to declare the office vacant.

Should the Speaker take an announced absence exceeding 10 days (OOC: RL), the General Assembly is empowered to declare the office vacant.

Last edited:
Caucus Officers

Eutopian Labour Party (ELP)
Senior Legislator: Richard Berenguerr [Cat Frightener]
Junior Legislators: Antonin Black [Carthade], Francisco Cojuanco [aussieboy], Alastar Cain [Estonianzulu], Woodrow Park [unclebryan]

Party of Liberty (PL)
Senior Legislator: Emil Lucescu [Badawi]
Junior Legislator: Jerome Vandelft [Melanchthon]

Eutopian Nationalist Party (ENP)
Senior Legislator: HJ Tulp
Junior Legislators: Jim Sykes [Josephus I], Walter Dornez [XhePablo], John Pollos [mabus], JB Arioni [General Jac]

Patriotic Eutopians for Liberty
Senior Legislator: Seneca Bradford [Earth's Saviour]
Junior Legislator: Gérard Philipe [Matija]

Last edited:
A bag wrapped in cellophane arrives containing many different brands of cheese. The card merely says, "Congratulations."

*The messenger boy finds his way up to the attic.*

I'd never have excepted this assignment if I knew I'd be in this creepy place. Anyway sorry sir. Is there a Mr. Vandeleft here? I have an invitation to dine with the President and if the cook doesn't get answer about the dish to serve it'll be my head. Is the Speaker available to dine with the President?

*Jerome replies to the email with his thanks, and asks the delivery boy to convey his appreciation for the cheese to his client - especially for the Pont L'eveque and Vieux Boulogne. Luckily, Jerome's makeshift office *does* have two good-sized windows, both of which are promptly thrown wide open. The resulting breeze ensures that the cheeses' pungent odour remains just this side of overpowering. Nonetheless, the staff try to steer clear of Jerome's office for the rest of the day, making this a relatively stress-free day. Jerome reflects on the possibility of bringing cheese to the office more often...*

Barkeep49 said:
*The messenger boy finds his way up to the attic.*

I'd never have excepted this assignment if I knew I'd be in this creepy place. Anyway sorry sir. Is there a Mr. Vandeleft here? I have an invitation to dine with the President and if the cook doesn't get answer about the dish to serve it'll be my head. Is the Speaker available to dine with the President?
*One of the secretaries vaguely points the messenger boy to one end of the attic. Her voice is obscured by the tissue she keeps pressed to her nose, but as best as he can make out, the Speaker's office can be found in that direction. Oddly enough, that corner of the otherwise cramped space looks deserted.

As the messenger boy approaches Jerome's office, he notices an increasingly powerful smell of... Brie de Meaux?*

*The Speaker's Office issues the following communique to members of the Assembly and Cabinet*

The Speaker's Office
General Assembly of Eutopia
Eutopia City​

Earlier today, the President's Office expressed its surprise "that the Tax Reform Bill was not brought to floor as it was supposed to based on its motion." In order to clear up any confusion, the Speaker's Office offers the following reminder: debate on the TRRA was tabled "until after the end of debate on the next bill on the agenda." The next bill on the agenda at the time was the Vehicle Exhaust Bill. Debate on that bill, which is still on the floor of the General Assembly, had begun well before it became necessary to hold two successive Speaker elections. As per the terms of the tabling motion, the Assembly will return to debating the TRRA once debate on the Vehicle Exhaust Bill has concluded.

If the President's Office has any further concerns, we will be happy to address them. In order to foster cooperative relations between Cabinet and the Assembly, we would appreciate it if the President's Office would, in future, contact the Speaker's Office directly in such matters.

Arriving early the morning after the Speaker's vote within the Assembly attic, Emil hunts down Jerome to offer his well wishes. He relinquishes a bottle of fine wine he had picked up the previous night in preparation rather reluctantly and dawdles about before heading down to the main floor to begin the day.

A folder arrives at the Speakers office inside they contain......
Mandatory Tobacco Labelling Act

Purpose of Act
(1) The purpose of this Act is to provide a message that smoking is dangerous
(2) The purpose is to be achieved particularly by—
(a) The mandatory Labeling of all cigarette packets, Cigars and Pipe Tobacco casings with a large Label and accompanying picture taking up half of the packets space.

Effects Of The Act
After the act is ast their will be a 2 month grace period for Tobacco companies to change their labels after this two month period is up any Tobacco products which don’t have the labels shall be stripped from the shelves and fines may occur

The Labels
All Labels will take up 1/2 of the packets space they will consists of the words in a bold type saying smoking Kills with a picture of a real postmortem pictures of a smokers Lung, Heart or Brain.

Enforcement

During the two month Grace period the Tobacco Companies must submit their new designs for approval by the Social Service Ministry. It is up to the social Services departments Discretion whether we deem the packaging appropriate or not, if it is not appropriate the company is barred form the selling of that particular product until the social services Department deems the packing appropriate.

Tobacco Companies Must Also Submit their packaging if they have changed the original packaging.

Any Company that does not comply with the new laws will be barred form selling the product until the labeling is put on and fines may apply.

The Tobacco Limits Act Draft

Purpose of Act
(1) The purpose of this Act Is to prevent the harmful effects of smoking.
(a) Stopping the purchase of Tobacco products by people under the age of 18.
(b)Making all places which may sell Tobacco products hold Tobacco license

Effects
Any Person or persons who have been caught selling Tobacco Products to those under the age of 18 shall receive fines with a minimum of $500

Any shop caught selling Tobacco Products to those under the age of 18 shall receive fines with a minimum $1000 and may even incur a revocation of their License for a minimum of two months.

The Tobacco License will we just like a liquor License in that those with out one selling Tobacco products shall be breaking the law.

Enforcement
Their will be random inspections of all places which sell Tobacco products to see whether the license is valid or whether the shop even has a license.

The enforcement of this act will be done under Social Services ministry with consultation of the Attorney General if the social service minister deems it appropriate

All revocations of Licenses will be up to the discretion of the Minister of Social Services

Badawi said:
Arriving early the morning after the Speaker's vote within the Assembly attic, Emil hunts down Jerome to offer his well wishes. He relinquishes a bottle of fine wine he had picked up the previous night in preparation rather reluctantly and dawdles about before heading down to the main floor to begin the day.
Emil, thank you for your well wishes and gift, I appreciate both. The wine should go well with this Roquefort I received just the other day.

A message arrives from Zhokhyen.

I would like to decline your invitation to speak for the Property Defense Rights Act, because I believe there are more pressing matters at hand. I hereby submit the following bill, which I hope will be fastracked upon recieving a second.

Tilapian-New Bengal Aid Package

.5 budgetary points shall be removed from the Term XIV Welfare budget.

.5 budgetary points shall be removed from the Term XIV Education budget

1.5 budgetary points shall be added to Foreign Aid, all of which shall be directed to aid going towards Tilapia, 70% of which at least shall be for aid targeting directly the island of New Bengal. The President shall arrange the details of how this aid is supplied.

Total expenditures of the Term XIV budget shall rise from 101.25 to 101.75

MGA's should note that this is by no means a final suggestion, but a quick move aimed at getting the important issue on the floor ASAP. As this bill is not written by the Speaker, he should be permitted to fast-track it on his own accord.

- Zhokhyen

Mr. Speaker,

I have been asked by my party to take a seat in the General Assembly. I ask for your permision to follow through with my party's wishes and to ensure that I do not violate any rules.

Mr. Cain, you are free to take a seat in the GA at any time. Simply announce the fact in the Assembly when you do so, and you are good to go. :)

A note.

As it appears I have overreacted to the objections of the MGA's in regards to moving debate towards my bill, first I withdraw the above bill and second I would like to request the right to show up and debate the PDRA, though I acknowledge that I have already given up that right and it is up to the speaker.

-Zhokhyen

Mr. Speaker, I would like to second the following bills.

The Housing Renovation and Investment Act.
The Land Lease/Sale Authorisation Act.
The Openness in Government Act
The Campaign Finance Act.