• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Repost of mine from the vanilla-SMEP thread if anyone wants to run with this idea:

Ideas on tweaking the Spanish Cival War to make it more historically accurate--

Anarchist Catalonia: Starts in the NE of Spain shortly after the war begins. Begins allied to Rep. Spain, but if the Republicans drifts into Leninism or Stalinism, the alliance will end and the two side will declare war on each other. If the CW ends with a Republican victory and Catalonia is still allied with them, then Catalonia will rejoin Spain.

Portugal should be given the chance to support Nat. Spain also. (As they historically did.)

Also, Mexico should be given the chance to support Rep. Spain also. (As they historically did.)

The Carlists (Navarre) should start allied with Nat. Spain and should merge (annexed by) with the Nationalists in about a year.

Whenever the Republicans recieves supplies from the Soviets, they should also get either 1 move toward Authortarian, 1 move toward Political Left, or both to represent increasing Soviet influence. If the UK is sending supplies, the opposite effect should happen. However, the chances for the UK to support the Republicans should be very low.

No need. I've uploaded my "official" version of SMEP 6.0 for AOD 1.06 beta 1. It should work, but I welcome complaints if it doesn't. Worked on my end :)

Feedback as always is appreciated, so long as it is specific :)

I'm alive. I've lost alot of interest in modding Hearts of Iron because of the massive Paradox-incited split of the community between multiple versions of what is essentially the same game...

I would say 'hear hear' to this. The release of AOD and various other iterations has led me to go back to Arma in some instances as the 'de facto standard'.

Could you tell me the checksum for 1.06 beta and after the smep. And is this version ok for 1.06 beta 1 hotfix or without hotfix?

The game crashes couple of days after the victory in the east event. Something might be wrong with that event chain. I can upload a savegame if someone wants it.

Last edited:
Thanks on making a great addition to AOD - I'm surprised no-one ever looked seriously into incorporating this for future releases. The events are a vast improvement on the vanilla game. I've played through a game as Germany and found it really enhanced the end-game after the defeat of the USSR. I'm in the midst of a game currently as the British and would like to comment on one or two errors I've encountered.

After liberating a large part of Italy in 1942 the Italian Social Republic was created and an Italian puppet was created for me on the island of Sicily. Post-German defeat the Italians were given back all their historical mainland territory via events but unfortunately they no longer had cores on these areas - consequently in 1947 Italy had a puny IC of 18.

Finland was defeated by the USSR but was not made into a puppet or annexed. It remained independent but allowed the USSR military access. I don't know whether this is intended or not but I have never seen this occur in vanilla AOD.

After the defeat of Germany the USSR helped to win the land war in Asia, capturing all Japanese held territory and creating a large Communist China consequently. However, the Communist Government they created was of a market liberal persuasion! I don't know whether this influenced this alternate outcome of history but the initial Communist Chinese were annexed by Japan and removed from the game.

In my current game I had only just defeated Japan with the help of the Americans and Russians - they still had their mainland and quite a few captured islands but with the exception of 2-3 provinces they had been eliminated in mainland Asia. The day after Japan surrendered the USSR declared war on the allies (is this intended? - it would have been nice to get a bit of a breather before it happened)! Over the next few weeks my various Asian provinces began to declare independence leaving me in a real pickle. My IC is no longer sufficient to allow me to fully supply my troops or fund my research at the same time. The war against the USSR started well, with the FRG aided by France swarming over the border to crush the 3 province GDR and annex Poland before the arrival of the Russian Army started to reverse the tide. The only thing that's keeping them at bay at the moment is British SACs devastating logistical strikes on their supply lines. :)

I hope you continue to refine SMEP - it has really enhanced my playing experience.

After bitter peace event of ussr, east turkestan declared independence. But, their name is "unknown string wanted"

g5McZ.jpg

EDIT: in fact, there is a problem with all countries whose names are included in BoostertextSMEP file. Any idea about this ?

sN6Li.jpg

Last edited:
hi, playingas Germany, I am having constant crash on August 5,1945. I defeated Allies and America. On August 5, an event fires but I just hear the event sound, then CTD happens. Does anyone have similar problem ? Or any idea about what specific event happens on August 5, 1945 ? Thanks.

In playing a '36 game as Germany, the build-up to war proceeded as usual, up to the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact, which went historically. Then, a few days after the onset of war, I got Emergency Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact. Haha what? The MR event ought to sleep Emergency MR.

Other than the annoying Unknown String Wanted revolter in the Soviet Union which is German gray and the ugly borders that are sure to come out of the Soviet civil war (maybe make an event that makes sure all the revolters get their cores?), I'm really liking this version of SMEP. :) Keep up the good work!

Actually, another thought: Maybe put in some events for the United States to go to war on its own if Germany is already dominant over Europe by late '41? It's late '43 in my game, and they're just sitting on the other side of the Atlantic like a worthless lump. The Oil Embargo almost never fires for some reason (not just in SMEP, but in any game I play), so Japan is never compelled to drag them into the war, either.

In playing a '36 game as Germany, the build-up to war proceeded as usual, up to the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact, which went historically. Then, a few days after the onset of war, I got Emergency Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact. Haha what? The MR event ought to sleep Emergency MR.

Other than the annoying Unknown String Wanted revolter in the Soviet Union which is German gray and the ugly borders that are sure to come out of the Soviet civil war (maybe make an event that makes sure all the revolters get their cores?), I'm really liking this version of SMEP. :) Keep up the good work!

Actually, another thought: Maybe put in some events for the United States to go to war on its own if Germany is already dominant over Europe by late '41? It's late '43 in my game, and they're just sitting on the other side of the Atlantic like a worthless lump. The Oil Embargo almost never fires for some reason (not just in SMEP, but in any game I play), so Japan is never compelled to drag them into the war, either.

put SMEP config files in the config/addition folder, "unknown string" probem will go away.

I'm having trouble getting SMEP to work. It shows up in JSGME, but none of the events fire not even when I try to fire them manually. Is there any way to tell if I've installed it correctly?

Check to make sure that the smep isn't in an extra subfolder, ie that it's mods\smep6.0aod and not mods\smep6.0aod\smep6.0aod