• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
loki100:
& we now have a zealous Pope determined to stamp his moral and temporal power on the world.
temporal mostly :cool:

re: Utrecht, not so implausible. When the Dutch wars of independence ended, some catholic provinces (those in the south) opted to join the United Netherlands, others (modern day Flanders) opted to stay under Spanish rule. Geofflrey Parker (The Dutch Revolt) reckons this was partly on commercial rather than religious grounds. Antwerp controlled a large slice of Spain's America trade and would have lost access to all that riches if they'd joined with the United Netherlands instead.
fascinating; I stand corrected.

Athalcor:
MM is just full of interesting things and events!
it is indeed. The ones related to the Papacy happen whatever country one plays. But it took me this Papal aar to get awed by their richness and complexity.

morningSIDEr:
the meddlsome Ana seems to have an equally troublesome son as heir.
you've spotted that ;) and yes all the issues you mentioned will come and haunt Marcellus II throughout his reign.

Great chapter, again you managed to narrate a tricky set of events brilliantly.

I support any efforts you take to hold France together, it's just not on if she gets dismembered at this point (especially with Louis XIV!). Aren't any more events in MM to deal with a surviving Burgundy after 1550?

It's also good to see the Neapolitans reasserting their power in the area - I'm sure you'll be able to handle them for Papal benefit... :D BTW, has León gone independent?! :eek:

Marcellus sounds like an interesting character. While it's probably wise that Adrio is there to keep him sane, I'm waiting for him to get rid of that diplomat and set the world on fire. :mad:

I support any efforts you take to hold France together, it's just not on if she gets dismembered at this point (especially with Louis XIV!)

Couldn't agree more.

Catholicism seems like it's on the ropes in the West. It desperately needs a major council, and probably a series of them, to reduce the internal pressure. Or for the Spanish to wind up too busy, poor or distracted to meddle. Or my favorite option - go hard East, and have the gravitational center of Catholicism be a) far from Spain and b) directly under the control of the Holy See.

A fascinating story could be told where a new pope abandons the "Italian project," leaving Rome and the threat of Spanish arms for the relative safety of Constantinople.

First let me say congratulations on a well-deserved ACA award!

I am sorry to see Adrian VII shuffle offstage so soon. He seemed like an interesting fellow, though I doubt his tolerant approach would have done a whole lot for reconciliation at this stage of the game... Maybe before the firebrand Calvinists showed up, but probably not after. :D

... the emboldened Charles I York, having humiliated France, took on another Catholic bastion in the West: Scotland, and at the same time he attacked Calais, the self-proclaimed Netherlands. A strengthened England was a worry for Madrid and Rome alike, however busy with their conflict over the Church leadership, they could do nothing to curb the English appetite.

Worrisome for Madrid, sure... but you? You don't have any turf up there by the North Sea, do you? Where's the harm in a few thousand English vacationers setting up on the beaches of Normandy? :D (I grant France is weak right now, but you've put its house back in order, no?)

The Prince-Bishop, Ana’s former lapdog, nestled down comfortably as a nominal retainer of the weak Netherlands; thus freeing himself form Ana, Rome and the Emperor at one stroke, and securing the protection of England. With this, and the French influence removed, the Low Lands became the area of rivalry between the Emperor and the English Crown.

Smooth move, Utrecht. :cool: I'm guessing that Bohemia handily snuffed out all the Dutch revolts 50 years ago and thus NED is more or less permanently stuck being the Calais-Utretch midget?

To the Curia’s horror the movement of ‘brethren’, propagating a kind of non-trinitarian religious doctrine swept through northern Italy. They advocated the separation of church and state and taught the equality and brotherhood of all people; they opposed social privileges based on religious affiliation, and their adherents refused military service.

Can we see a wide shot of Europe's religions in general? It looks like there are way too many blue and purple provinces near you. :D Toleration is nice and all, but heresy is sweeping away every bastion of the faith—even the Emperor could not hold back the blue tide, after all.

Maybe it's time for Rome to eat humble pie, buckle under to La Ana's will, and start smashing heretics. Sure, you'll have to put up with undue Spanish influence, but you need a fighting chance at turning the world yellow again. What other major nations are still true Catholics?

your "intervention" in France is completely justifiable. I myself have been considering making events removing "dead" French minors' cores after a certain date much like Netherlands and Greece formation for my submod.

Other than that, all I have to say is... for the love of God, would you conquer Urbino already?! Their ugly teal color and stupid CoA still divides your Holy realm. :D

Hey, I am still catching up, but I have to say this a great AAR so far (around page 6 at the moment)! I like especially the narrative style with game-play comments, very appropriate to this kind of story.
I didn't know the Papal States had such depth in MM.

aldric:
Aren't any more events in MM to deal with a surviving Burgundy after 1550?
Don't think so. It's the 'new Burgundy' (force-released by Algiers!), so I presume it'll stay, unless it gets conquered of course.

BTW, has León gone independent?! :eek:
Sort of, it's the seat of the Anti-Pope Innocentius VII.

CatKnight:
Marcellus sounds like an interesting character. While it's probably wise that Adrio is there to keep him sane, I'm waiting for him to get rid of that diplomat and set the world on fire. :mad:
There is this fiery streak in you, isn't there? :D Pharos policy won't do? ;)

Kroisistan:
Catholicism seems like it's on the ropes in the West. It desperately needs a major council, and probably a series of them, to reduce the internal pressure.
Funny you mentioned this...

Or for the Spanish to wind up too busy, poor or distracted to meddle.
...and this.

A fascinating story could be told where a new pope abandons the "Italian project," leaving Rome and the threat of Spanish arms for the relative safety of Constantinople.
It would be fascinating no doubt. But I still see it would be a defeat. It would have to be a calamity I can't now think of for the Pope to abandon Rome (and meddling in Italy). But yes the pendulum has already swayed somewhat.

Chris Taylor:
First let me say congratulations on a well-deserved ACA award!
Thanks!
And you're right Rome does not care that much about what's going on on these heretical islands. Do not forget though they hold some territory in Low Lands, HRE's territory at that.

Smooth move, Utrecht. :cool: I'm guessing that Bohemia handily snuffed out all the Dutch revolts 50 years ago and thus NED is more or less permanently stuck being the Calais-Utretch midget?
Thanks to loki100's explanation I do agree Utrecht's move has some cunning to it. As for the NED midget, sadly, it seems to be the case; I can hardly picture such NED colonising even though they got (scripted?) two islands in the Caribbean.

Can we see a wide shot of Europe's religions in general?
Yeah, sure. It'll come with the next update.

you need a fighting chance at turning the world yellow again. What other major nations are still true Catholics?
I have been using the Bohemia's help here, and our concerted efforts led to Austria and France having been converted. Forced-conversions just wouldn't last though. Apart from Bohemia, the Iberians, my Italian allies, Poland and Denmark are larger Catholic powers; ah, and Trebizond of course. ;)

CJL78:
your "intervention" in France is completely justifiable. I myself have been considering making events removing "dead" French minors' cores after a certain date much like Netherlands and Greece formation for my submod.
Glad you, like may others, agree with me on that. I support the idea of French minors core-removal!

Other than that, all I have to say is... for the love of God, would you conquer Urbino already?! Their ugly teal color and stupid CoA still divides your Holy realm. :D
Hehe, I was this close with the previous update. Was at war and occupied the prov but as non-alliance leader; and I couldn't have dowed either due to conclave/regency. Just my luck! Or maybe sign from the almighty: no unlawful expansionism. :D

blsteen:
The pope running around Italy with the sword in one hand and...a sword in the other. Cool
Very much what Marcellus II is going to do during his reign. Yet more widely.

kepler:
Hey, I am still catching up, but I have to say this a great AAR so far (around page 6 at the moment)! I didn't know the Papal States had such depth in MM.
Welcome! Glad you're enjoying it. Yeah, me an MM addict, I didn't realise the scope and yeah depth of work dharper put in enlivening the religious aspect of the game. I'd say one has to try the Papacy to really feel how immersive and gripping it is.

all: Sorry guys I was slow at responding and updating, but you know - RL. I barely find time these days to check the forum. But I might get a few days respite and there's some work done on the next update (even though I'm not quite happy with it, feels dry) so an update's coming in a few days. Thanx for your patience. :)

Innocentius VII // Marcellus II

14 June 1584 –

12 June 1595 // 8 December 1596

TERTIUS GAUDENS

The Rightful Pope

In terms of influence, Marcellus II had a clear advantage over Innocentius VII. He was the Bishop of Rome, controlled the city itself; and most of Italy, bar Savoy, was, at least overtly, loyal to him. The eastern holdings remained reliable and were the source of prestige and income. What he lacked was legitimacy. True, the Emperor backed him, but Bohemia was a Papal ally after all, so it was a clearly political decision on part of Karel V Ludvik. The rest of the Catholic Europe was hesitant and indecisive. Marcellus II believed the show of power to be the best way to convince the wavering kings and princes. And he believed bullying the weak could not go wrong.

He proclaimed the crusade against the Mameluks. All the Papal allies joined, having picked up the smell of loot and plunder. The Sultanate was a shadow of its former glory, now in the process of being dismantled by Ethiopia. The purpose of this war was to liberate Damascus to bring it back for Christianity and to unify the Italian partners of the Papal States around a common cause: one more military operation in Levant. Rome also hoped to show the world the rightful pope was nothing like Queen Ana’s puppet. Marcellus II personally took part in the invasion, and with great pomp he entered first Damascus in January 1586 and than Cairo in April 1587. The Mameluk Sultanate was left a broken shell, an archipelago of isolated desert regions, no one wanted to grab, only nominally loyal to Cairo. (I’d been wanting to do it for some time, but the pope-less period dragged out so long and then culminated in the excess of popes, which brought other issues to the fore; luckily Ethiopia had no means of reaching the eastern part of the Mameluks and the Sultanate just wouldn’t cave in; but it was in a desperate state when I dowed it (see the war screen: war exhaustion 32!); I did hope Venice would snatch a province too but this wasn’t to be; I persevered with the war so long hoping I could ask for Cairo since it got isolated, but the prov’s access to the sea makes it impossible, so Damascus will do; as you see ten years later Ethiopia came back for more and reached the Med by taking Libya; funny how I would post detailed maps of my earlier campaigns in the area and didn’t even bother with describing the military operations there this time – it was all too easy; there will be a map further down this post though to give you an overview how things ended up in the region)

mameluks.gif

The two-and-a-half-year campaign boosted Marcellus II’s prestige and reinforced the Christians’ position as the masters of the East. Few Muslim powers could dispute the retreat of Islam; the abortive, ill-prepared Qara Koyunlu intervention an exemplary case. The medium-sized Muslim powers rallied round the Hafsid dynasty and a Jihad was called. Their initial successes stirred commotion for a few months; which exposed the overconfidence of the Christians in Levant, especially the unfounded belief in the superiority of European military. But despite the army of Hedjaz slowly asserting control over the Sinai area, Prince Qara Yusuf III quickly grew disinterested in the war and agreed to end the hostilities. To hushed sighs of relief in the Curia. (why QK attacked the Knights is beyond me, no border, no means to reach the target, I’m baffled; yet it exposed the Genoese and my Levant to Hedjaz’s attack; on joining the war I became its leader; and I did underestimate the enemy; luckily the QK AI realised the folly of this whole endeavour pretty soon and it was all over; and yes I was relieved as my troops were busy elsewhere)

QuaraKoynunlu.gif

The General Office

Gonzalo Pizarro’s arrival was to transform the administration of the Papal States. A political refugee from Spain, he got more than a cordial welcome in Rome from Camerlengo Adria, His Holiness was absent crusading at the time. Pizarro’s ideas, too dangerous in Spain, to the point that they won him the interest of the Spanish Inquisition and he had to run for life, were affably received in Rome. Like Spain, the Papal States had long suffered the burden of managing its scattered, culturally diverse territories of different sizes, ethnicity and legal tradition. The remedy Pizarro administered was a mixture of centralization and decentralisation. In the late 1587 he created the General Chief Office for Finance, War and Domains, a body with a collegial decision-making structure.

The General Office cardinal-ministers, privy councillors and provincial officials debated in the open, a chair left empty for His Holiness – a pro forma observance as Marcellus II scarcely ever attended meetings. Realising the provincial specifics and rivalries, Pizarro did not dissolve any local institution outright. As for various governing organizations of the western provinces of Lazio, Romagna and Avignon he encouraged merging, unifying and finally reshaping them on the model of the General Office instead. Thus rearranged three provincial western sub-offices were made to respond directly to the General Office. The ultimate objective was to forge an organic, pan-territorial body of expertise able to oversee the well-being of the state.

Considerable funds were invested in this pursuit of centralisation of the internal and military affairs and the scrutiny of the fiscal policy. What was relatively painlessly achieved in the West, mostly owing to respecting the level of provincial autonomy in matters of local importance, was feared to turn out a daunting task in the East. Nevertheless with Cardinal Adria’s blessing Pizarro left for Constantinople, where he was enthusiastically received by the Patriarch, Nicolaus Grado. And within a few years of the early 1590s not only did he create three similar provincial sub-offices (for the Greeks, for the Turks and for the Levant; reorganised later into four based in Constantinople, Anatolia, Aleppo and Alexandria), but also, through his reforms, he succeeded in stabilising the region and bringing the City of Constantinople back to its former glory. (I wonder if Ana regrets letting Pizarro go; but seriously employing the alderman lets me build many advanced provincial improvements (whole system in MM) in the cored provs, and as they do core at that time… I splashed out like 400d or so; strangely, I avoid building the ports or market chain in the western provs as they don’t trade through my CoTs; you can also see Trebizond swallowed Dulkadir and force-released Cendar; and there are changes in the Balkans: Hungary forced OE to release Serbia; the funniest thing is the Papacy now not only owns Cyprus but also accepts the Greek AND Turkish cultures -!- isn’t it too much of a fantasy scenario where Greeks and Turks are not only Catholics but also equally-regarded citizens living in harmony under the ultimate Theocracy? also note that thanks to Dominicans-related ‘Bonfire of Vanities’ or Jesuits Thrace is a minority-free 100% Catholic province! and this is not an exception!)

coring.gif

Constantinople.gif

The Not-So Catholic France Indeed

It is true that Marcellus II repeatedly and personally intervened in the political affairs of France; for one he saw this too important an area for the Church to neglect, but also he found there an outlet for his compulsive drive for the military. Yet modern historians overestimate the Papal role in the shifts of power in the late 16th century there. Especially the admirers of Political Processes Principleby Ubik tend to overlook the significance of dynastic politics for the changes France underwent at the end of 16th century and for the history of the early modern era in general.

The entanglement of dynastic liaisons in fragmented French territories will have to be simplified here so as not to overburden the reader with a blurred multitude of contradicting claims. The marriage arranged by the Curia between Gilles I of Brittany and the youngest daughter of Louis XIV of France aimed at strengthening the Catholic cause in France and cementing the peace between (the recently beaten) France and Brittany. It is hard to say anything about the girl’s religious affinities (she died young), but Giles I, converted through this marriage, became an emblematic neophyte. He applied and received the holy relics of Saint Ivo of Kermartin, he pilgrimaged to holy sites, he re-introduced monastic orders in his lands. None of these appealed to his subjects though. Effectively, while the Curia’s influence in Paris remained nominal; Brittany became a Papacy’s client state.

Giles I got widowed without issue just after a couple of years of his marriage. And at the same time a dynastic crisis broke out in the neighbouring independent Catholic County of Guyenne. The childless count passed away in the prime of his life; his elder sister, Eleonore, was the abbes of the convent, the younger one was married to the Duke of Orleans, a staunch Protestant. Hastily His Holiness relieved Eleonore of her vows and clerical offices and she was offered to Giles I, together with her rich Perigord inheritance and the Papal blessing and support. The Duke of Orleans opposed the acquisition of Guyenne and intervened. So did Marcellus II.

The short war ended up with a bitter compromise. Brittany was forced to part with its northernmost provinces of Maine and Anjou, where the Protestant sympathies were the strongest; it retained Perigord though. In the years to come the Duchy has become the bastion of Catholicism on French territories. (Giles I converted to Catholicism: the ‘apostasy event’, but the provs remain Protestant, I’m not sure I understand the purpose of this event; as for the meddle in Brittany in fact things didn’t go the way I described them; Brittany attacked Guyenne, annexed it but was still at war with Orleans (Guyenne’s ally) and Genoa (DoF); I had the cleansing of heresy cb, Genoa was already involved so I dowed Brittany; only Wurttemberg supported Brittany but I had no access up there and agreed to the mild terms as I feared Venice might have asked for the province it occupied; silly me: as I and Brittany were the alliance leaders no such thing could have happened and I might have force-converted Wurttemberg too, argh…; on the whole from what I read dynastic politics and succession wars were the hype of the era, HtTH doesn’t portray this well, I dare say there’s been a step backwards; I have yet to see a succession war in HtTH, they were rare before but they did happen, sadly with the ‘claim the throne’ thing succession wars are either non-existent or maybe happen in multi-player; personal unions also seem less frequent and less stable, but the latter might be a good thing, I dunno)

Brittany.gif

In mid-1580s the court in Paris was forced to accept the princess’s marriage with Giles I, but at the same time the king issued an edict forbidding any censorship regarding discussions on matters of religions, either in printed form or at universities. This liberal decree in fact favoured the Protestant majority. The death of his daughter relieved Louis XIV from his collusion with the Papal schemes in Brittany and the forced friendship with duke Giles I. The Papal military intervention in Brittany angered the king and the relationships irrevocably soured even more, especially as the Curia tried to keep playing the Armagnac inheritance into its favour, dodging between recognising the French or the Portuguese claims. With the Roman Papacy troubled by the Schism and the war with Portugal finally over, France’s presence in the Catholic camp seemed just a question of time. And indeed Louis XIV’s son, Gaston I d’Anjou reconverted to Protestantism barely months into his reign and it was clear he was determined to reclaim the lost French territories. (pity, but I failed to re-introduce Catholicism in France, with the new king Protestantism is back and the four Catholic provs will turn blue in no time; it’s sad to see how little impact forced conversions have: first Austria, now France again sidetracks off the path of the righteous; I’ll leave Orleans’ suicide attack on Bourbonnais without a comment, in the end it’ll strengthen France of course; you can see Papal troops in Burgundy – we’ll get to this later)

France-2.gif

Healing the Schism

Reasserting his legitimacy and healing the schism constituted the dominant element of Marcellus II’s pontificate. Oddly, the Pope himself, more interested in either gaining prestige on various battlefields or implementing the latest technological innovations into the Papal army, paid relatively little attention to this matter, leaving it in the safe hands of Camerlengo Adria. The schism and the bitter rivalry with Spain over the Church guardianship made the Curia comprehend two things about the condition of the Papal States.

The first was the realisation that major European powers treated the schism, and thus also the Papacy, instrumentally. To win them over Rome would have to either force them through its might or cajole them through incentives and concessions. The second was the admission that the might option was out of the question. True, the Papal States had grown relatively powerful, subduing of Innocentius VII appeared merely a question of time and price, but this power was disproportionally distributed. While in the East the Papacy enjoyed strong temporal presence, its spiritual guidance was still questioned by remnants of the former Eastern or Muslim establishments; in the West the Papacy was just a medium Italian power, traditionally able to project strong spiritual pressure; at present this spiritual influence was being challenged.

Healing the schism was an arduous process. Marguerite of Armagnac, the Regent of Portugal volunteered to be the intermediary and the Curia consented. This in fact angered both Spain and France as they had conflicting interests with the Crown of Portugal and the first round of talks bore little fruit. Representatives of Innocentius VII, led by anti-Cardinal des Isnards were welcome to Rome, but their demands were deemed excessive. Moreover, the consultations dragged for months, partly because Marcellus II was away in Levant (and it took time to exchange correspondence), partly because he was not the kind of person to easily concede. Also, his men in Rome well fully aware of the troubles that plagued Queen Ana’s kingdom, and decided to wait until she was readier to relent. (note the heretics in Spain, low stability, and the alliance(!); also Anna is the sun-queen! I was taken aback by the arrival of a cardinal from the anti-Papacy (shouldn’t it be impossible?), but decided it might fit the story)

healing1.gif

councilno.gif

When Marcellus II got back from his victorious campaign in Levant, even less willing to concede, he decided to turn to the Emperor, Karel V Ludvik of Bohemia for mediation. The Emperor was not impartial, but he decided to leverage pressure on Marcellus II by making him wait. He proclaimed such a decision had to be made after a thorough consultations with the Imperial states and institutions. These obviously worked at a snail pace and it took almost three years before Karel V Ludvik on behalf of the Holy Roman Empire reaffirmed Marcellus II’s legitimacy as the one and only lawful Bishop of Rome. Thus strengthened Rome had a clear path to commence another round of negotiations, this time enjoying a much stronger position. However, across Europe it was felt that the Crown had checked the Tiara. (I’m not sure whether these events belong to the healing of the schism sequence, anyway I felt that with ‘utter trust’ and alliance there was little risk in asking the Emperor’s verdict)

combined.gif

There was one more factor which gave hope the reconciliation was within reach. While the Imperial institutions were working on their verdict, in May 1589 Prince Felipe, in the course of a palace coup, declared his mother incapable of ruling the kingdom and locked her up in the rooms of the Convent of Santa Clara; she would outlive him and become known as Ana la Loca. Felipe took the reign of power supported by nobles disgruntled with Ana’s absolutist course. It is impossible to determine with full certainty whether the Papacy was involved in the overthrow, but it is highly unlikely it was not; especially if one takes into account the puzzling relationship between Felipe II and Marcellus II. These two seemed to have been acting in agreement during the Ancona conclave crisis. Also, the Curia had long had its informants on the Spanish court but the extent of the infiltration cannot be determined until the Papal archives are opened. (the game can always surprise me with sth, I didn’t even know such an event existed, I sort of feel I haven’t made the most of it story-wise, but it did happen at the very right time)

PalaceCoup.gif

Ana de Trastámara out of the picture, Innocentius VII’s position got weakened. Felipe II, less stubborn than his mother as he was, probably better realised the bargaining value of the León Pope. In August 1592 it finally seemed things were going in the right direction. All the parties concerned got down to resolving the crisis; the Genoese mediation was accepted and the Council of Genoa set about reaching a compromise. Marcellus II declared he would not step down, nor accept any ‘third’ option, but he generously agreed to lift the interdict that Spain had been under since the beginning of the schism. It seemed both Felipe II and Innocentius VII were ready to accept sound terms. Still, after a year and a half of talks it turned out the King of Spain was more reasonable and less obstinate than Innocentius VII. The anti-Pope despite losing support would just not cave in.

healing2.gif

council1-1.gif

To overcome the impasse Camerlengo Adria brought round Marcellus II, with difficulty, to putting forward an idea of holding regular councils. This move left Innocentius VII’s adherents without a leg to stand on. In the eyes of Catholic monarchs Marcellus II, as unlikeable and untrustworthy as he was, proved to represent the Papacy ready to hear and answer the voices of reform-advocating ecclesiastics. This plunged the Papal States into a period of reform tensions as it was a break with the policy of the former popes, but it diminished the number of the León Pope’s backers.

No arguments nor support left, and Felipe II growing more and more estranged, Innocentius VII finally stepped down. He was promised to keep his lands in León for life. Time will tell that those who would most profit from resolving the schism crisis were the intermediaries. The Emperor’s prestige and renown grew considerably, Marguerite of Armagnac secured the Curia’s support for the Portugal-Armagnac Union, Genoa haggled some trading privileges and managed to outmanoeuvre the Papal or Spanish attempts at controlling it. (this cost me 4 stab points altogether (there was one more event involving Portugal demanding a council, which took place in Dresden not Genoa but I prefer it that way story-wise), but I realised being stubborn and being persistent is not the same; even diplomatically unskilled Marcellus II would have understood the gravity of the situation and would have realised he had to concede too; I’m impressed by the whole process, but what I’m surprised by is the fact I can retain León; well one might even think of exploiting it to expand the Papacy! I sort of waited for an event to give it back to the Spanish Crown but no such thing)

regularcouncils.gif

endofschism.gif

The Feigned Reforms

The lukewarm interest in the Church reform during the Council of Genoa proved the whole Schism business was purely about politics and powerplay. Marcellus II, far from being a reformer himself, having reasserted his position as the supreme leader of the Church, left Genoa; the battlefield had called him again. His representatives made sure to declare Holy Father’s will to make the workings of the ecclesiastical institutions more efficient, but that was so much about it. None of the serious problems that had been troubling the Church like nepotism, simony, or political use of benefices was addressed, let alone cracked down on. (I was thinking of reforming the Church on this occasion, but Marcellus II doesn’t strike me as the kind of pope who’d consent to undermine his power even an inch further, disregarding any other concerns like the East or Pharos policy; of course I wanted to avoid stab hits too, but at that time I realised that pbly to have a chance to erase the blue taint I have to reform the Church; not with Marcellus II however)

reforms1.gif

reforms2.gif

The conservative approach may be explained not only by Marcellus II’s stance; things in Spain went from bad to worse, removing the Spanish Crown’s pressure on the Papacy for the time being. The same wave of aristocratic discontent that elevated Felipe II now brought him down. He died ingloriously in a chaotic retreat after a skirmish with a band of rebellious nobles. His death triggered a civil war in Spain. Some lords, those who came to terms with or hoped to profit from the absolutist rule, sided with the crown. Those who demanded reintroduction of former liberties and privileges for the landed class supported Felipe’s younger brother and the regent, don Juan. Supporters of Ana la Loca, peasant mutinies, heretic popular movements and colonial dissent made this picture even more blurred and gloomy.

In the midst of this internal strive, as forage was scarce, Archbishop Elcano’s (former Innocentius VII) residence was unsuccessfully raided a few times and during one of these attacks the former anti-pope got wounded. He died a few weeks later. For a while Rome could not act upon the earlier agreement with the Spanish Crown as the outnumbered Papacy-maintained guard had to defend the palace against various mobs. Finally, when loyalists secured the province the property was returned to the Spanish Crown but the widowed Queen had to cover the pay of the guard and maintenance costs. (Felipe’s II fall was surprising but story-wise frees me from the Spanish pressure; as for the question of León: I did not want this province but as I was at war I couldn’t sell it right away; so it had to wait as my property, not really an asset though: it’s not poor but due to changing hands it lost all MM buildings and, well, how would I be supposed to hold on a prov in the middle of Spain? no events as to the future of the province fired, so I quit the war, waited till January (when the coffers get replenished) and sold it; 200d is nothing to sneer at; still surprising Spain, being torn from within, was ready to splash out)

Felipesfall.gif
The death of Innocentius VII​

The Emperor Makes Out the Check

Over the 1580s the England’s power grew and both the Portuguese regent and the Emperor (rumoured to be former lovers) deemed it necessary to contain the island kingdom; Portugal hoped to break its maritime dominance, the Empire wanted it rid off the Low Countries. They both could count on Marcellus II’s backing, not only as co-religionists and champions of the True Faith, but also as creditors expecting to be paid off for being ‘unwaveringly’ on Marcellus II’s side in the question of schism. It is not that Marcellus II did not want to join the war, but even he realised the invitation from the Emperor was an oblique blackmail. (the interesting mechanics here (typical of MM) is: as soon as Portugal lands in another war, it is ready to white peace the French war, which had been dragging for like 20 years; funnily enough it was in France’s interest NOT to peace out as – a bit more patience – and it could long-wait the Armagnac provinces; sadly, this peace let France reconvert to Protestantism too)

Bohemia-2.gif

The war turned out to be nearly a pan-European affair with a distinctive religious division between the belligerents. England had its Protestant supporters on the continent, namely Hungary, Burgundy, Netherlands and Orleans. Also, Savoy joined the conflict on the Catholic side and attacked Burgundy, but the duke of Savoy must have been deeply disappointed when the Spanish envoy announced the civil-war-torn-Spain was in no position to risk intervention. Still, the brief campaign turned out profitable for the Duchy and it snatched the rich city of Lyon with the surrounding area. This success can be partly explained by the fact that it was against Burgundy that Marcellus II concentrated his campaign, which made the Savoyard invasion far easier. (I did march on Burgundy on purpose, as I didn’t what Bohemia to take any land in this area; as I was not the alliance leader I could not ask for anything from Burgundy, not even conversion; also maybe because of this not-alliance-leader status, or maybe because of being allied with the powerful Emperor I played this war rather carelessly and lost two battles badly: once 3k in the thin air, the other time 2k – I was forced to re-recruit my forces; Marcellus II may be a military-bent Pope but he’s apparently a tad reckless leader)

Burgundy and Hungary were quickly taken out of war; Karel V Ludvik proved there was no power on the continent to challenge his Imperial hegemony. The war with England over its continental possessions continued simmering and for two years Marcellus II loyally fought alongside the Emperor. However, at the end of 1596 the commotion in Spain caught his attention, the matter of León had to be resolved, and – most importantly – a few English smaller squadrons managed to sneak past the Portuguese patrols into the Mediterranean and these privateers wreaked havoc in the helmets of Lazio. The Papal States withdrew from the conflict. (there were not that many blockades, oh, it’s good to have the Portuguese on your side, but my navy is non-existent so those who made it to my shores couldn’t be disposed of; also while at war the piracy goes up and becomes a nuisance, finally there’s nothing for me in this war, I did help the Emperor well enough and I figured it was time I went on about my own business)

Bohemia2-1.gif

This withdrawal coincided with Karel V Ludvik’s death; there was no doubt his son, Jan III would be elected the next Emperor. However, this was not the perfect timing; the new Emperor, ascending to the throne and inheriting the war, interpreted the Papal departure as betrayal and was less cordial to the Curia than his father. And unlike his father, who was the first Bohemian Emperor, Jan III did not need Rome that much. Marcellus II felt this change, but he did not manage to do anything to patch up the relations. He died just a few months later, peacefully in his bed. For a warrior-pope, he did try to emulate Clemens VII, he did not achieve that much territory-wise and as regards his battlefield fame it was more for bravery bordering foolhardiness than strategic or tactical brilliance. Yet it was during his pontificate that the danger of Schism was averted, the Papal alliances positively tested, and the Spanish influence in Italy, after the disintegration of the Spanish-Savoyard pact, was limited to Messina.

death-5.gif
The death of Marcellus II​

Treasury / yearly income: 530d / 80,82
Merchants: 5 in Thrace: 85.36/593.76 and 5 in Alexandria: 85.24/593.03
Fleet: 5: 5 cogs
Army: 23k Reformed tercio; 7k Gallop cavalry
Manpower / discipline: 36.796 / 115.90%
Army / navy tradition: 53.30% / 0.00%
Prestige: 89
Stability: +1
Infamy: 0.00/20.50
War exhaustion: 0.60/10

I love the way you've played and presented Marcellus, all this supposedly fervent religious debate going on and all he wants to do is have a war with someone. At the end it looks like the Papacy is becoming more and more a temporal power? Especially if the Emperor sees you essentially as nothing more or less than an ally.

Is it just me or does Bohemia stay Catholic in most MM games? And how about her problem with not spending money?

Really well written - I like the roleplaying you present.

Btw,
are the any negative consequences of relocating the capital to Constantinople? (yes, I am still bit of a Byz fan :F)

And: Will the Teutonic Order remain as it is? It looks a bit inappropriate in the 17th century.

A few loose ends tied up there. Now just to mop up some of that blue ink...

Great update and good job against the Mameluks. Though I am concerned that all these ass-kicking popes and their massive territorial holdings will breed synods like rabbits. Might it be wise to sell off the dirt-poor sand provinces to a neighbouring co-religionist and try to get richer estates (coughUrbinocough, maybe Naples too) closer to home?

Unloading Leon was definitely the right thing to do; Spain was more or less guaranteed to mug you for it later.

Also, I don't think I have ever seen the Antipope throw in the towel voluntarily. Usually they have to be beaten with the clue-bat a few dozen times. That was kind of unusual.

A Pope with strong temporal power will force the Reformation to be stronger, so no it's not usually so widespread :)

Not usually, but if you create the perfect storm of 1) large papal territories 2) weak Ottomans and 3) torpedoing every church council and reform that you can, you will end up with a strong one.

Hmmm, now that I think about it...

Cardinal Avvocato del Diavolo said:
This Pharos policy is gaining us the Levant at the cost of Europe! Your Holiness should consider refocusing his efforts on the princes of Europe—bringing them to heel by fire and sword, if necessary.

Last edited:
This Ottoman Empire needs to get some serious Bulgarian revolt going on, as I see all they have now is just Bulgaria + Dulkadir. Gabor, do you know anyone who might be able to send spies into this territory to incite rebels? :rolleyes:

loki100:
I love the way you've played and presented Marcellus, all this supposedly fervent religious debate going on and all he wants to do is have a war with someone.
I wanted him to try to emulate Clemens VII, but due to his shortcomings be a kind of travesty of that great pope.

At the end it looks like the Papacy is becoming more and more a temporal power?
Indeed. Even I was slow to notice it, let alone Marcellus II. ;) It'll take a pope or two before it finally hits the Curia.

Athalcor:
Is it just me or does Bohemia stay Catholic in most MM games? And how about her problem with not spending money?
Dunno. In this game it inherited the Catholic stand from the previous Emperor, now Protestant Austria. I believe it's been fixed.

are the any negative consequences of relocating the capital to Constantinople? (yes, I am still bit of a Byz fan :F)
I guess the regular ones. 5000d + massive stab hit. Well, I don't have the money and I don't think the Curia is ready to even consider such a move.

And: Will the Teutonic Order remain as it is? It looks a bit inappropriate in the 17th century.
One of my pet hates. But nothing I can do.

kepler:
Is the Reformation usually that bad (widespread) in MM?
It varies. And there are so many factors to be taken into account.

Rabid:
A Pope with strong temporal power will force the Reformation to be stronger, so no it's not usually so widespread :)
True. In my gameplay experience it tends to be much milder. In this aar even if I didn't acquire that much land early, I took a rather anti-reform stance. This might be the reason.

AllmyJames:
Now just to mop up some of that blue ink...
What a chore! :D In OTL there hasn't benn much success here, has ther? ;)

Chris Taylor:
Also, I don't think I have ever seen the Antipope throw in the towel voluntarily. Usually they have to be beaten with the clue-bat a few dozen times. That was kind of unusual.
I didn't know about that. It's actually the firts time in my game I've seen (and had to deal with) an anti-pope. Maybe Spain's sudden weakness and the Emperor's backing helped? Or my territorial and military advantage?

Might it be wise to sell off the dirt-poor sand provinces to a neighbouring co-religionist and try to get richer estates (coughUrbinocough, maybe Naples too) closer to home?

Camerlengo Adria said:
We are the light bearer! Our God-given power is spiritual. Never will we attack a fellow Catholic, especially at these dire times of religious upheaval. On the contrary we vow to protect the Catholic princes of Italy and especially our trusted allies, like King of Naples. It's only owing to this illustrious policy of ours that Italy has cherished so much peace and prosperity. You speak as if there was a shortage of heretics and heathens to be brough back to light. I might ask the Grand Inquisitor to have a word with you.

Cardinal Avvocato del Diavolo said:
This Pharos policy is gaining us the Levant at the cost of Europe! Your Holiness should consider refocusing his efforts on the princes of Europe—bringing them to heel by fire and sword, if necessary.

Camerlengo Adria said:
Now there's merit in your words. Alas this is not an easy task. Haste is waste as they say. We need to bide our time and strike when the Almighty gives us the sign, that is when the cursed heretics are at their weakest.

JacktheJumper:
This Ottoman Empire needs to get some serious Bulgarian revolt going on, Gabor, do you know anyone who might be able to send spies into this territory to incite rebels?
I've been thinking about it. But firstly the Papal States are not that skilled at spying NI-wise. Secondly, OE is a third-rate power now and in Rome it is believed there are more pressing matters. Let others handle them. Thirdly, Bulgurians are heretics too, why should we care then?

That was a very eventful papacy too - no wonder this chapter had to be so long. I confess my head is still spinning with the French dynastic mess, but I think you've been as synthetic with it all as you could possibly be while keeping the flavour.

I know you are not that naughty but... did you think of selling Léon to Portugal instead? :D