• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
1) Why more experience and not high morale/organization?
2) Why dissent hit and not morale/organization hit?

Maybe you could explain your points? It is not a good idea to say "why do you have done this and not this" and not to explain your problems with it and your solutions (moral/organization) to it...:mad:

In the opening post, the picture "Diary04_positionPenalty.jpg" clearly shows a commander with a red name, which means he does not have the rank for commanding the fleet, and the fleet has a malus.

I join Alex_Brunius on this one.

1- Is a penalty applied to the commander ? By instance, a commander with rank *** penalises a fleet by being virtually less ranked (by instance ***-1)

2- Or is it simply the automated leader assignment feature that does not work well (in HOI3 1.4, I had numerous cases of the AI assigning commanders without promoting them according to their task) ?

If I understand it corectly (and by Doomdark's reaction I do) you have too penalties. The first one comes when your admiral commands too big task force. The one that should be commanded by someone with higher rank.
The second penalty is when you promote unskilled admiral to apropriate rank, but his low skill still doesn't allow him to lead that big task force effectively enough. And when he is very skilled, he can even command higher-than-average number of ships.
While I know quite a bit about naval warfare the specific problems of command are something you won't read that much. I can only assume, that admiral of the fleet leads his capital ships while giving his screens higher level of freedom. If this is true, than the combat penalty based on hull sizes makes sense.

1) Why more experience and not high morale/organization?
2) Why dissent hit and not morale/organization hit?

ad 1 - Experience his easier to add and it will have basicaly the same effect as org/morale
as 2 - It is more of PR thing. Just remember the sinking of Hood and the resulting hunt. That really doesn't look like RN took org/morale hit there. Quite the opposite.

In Semper Fi, the Invasion AI uses brand new algorithms designed to handle multiple targets at once, with proper staging. It will also prefer to invade enemy targets close to home first, which results in the island hopping we would expect in the Pacific.

All nice and well but will we still see the US do any large "D-Day"-invasions after this is implemented?

Maybe you could explain your points? It is not a good idea to say "why do you have done this and not this" and not to explain your problems with it and your solutions (moral/organization) to it...:mad:

Right I thought that it was self-evident but this is not the case.
I cannot understand the relation between experience and pride of the fleet. Let me make an example: I have one ship with experience 10 then by saying that the ship is my pride suddenly the ship/crew increase its experience. I have a simple mind and I don't get it.

What I can understand, instead, is that people can be more motivated.

Please let me know if this is clear enough for you.

ad 1 - Experience his easier to add and it will have basicaly the same effect as org/morale
as 2 - It is more of PR thing. Just remember the sinking of Hood and the resulting hunt. That really doesn't look like RN took org/morale hit there. Quite the opposite.

1) It is easier but it is counterintuitive
2) It depends, sometimes an important loss/defeat can increase the morale sometimes the other way round. As Paradox has decided to go only in one way (i.e. the effect is always negative) then I would expect a hit on the morale not on the dissent.

Right I thought that it was self-evident but this is not the case.
I cannot understand the relation between experience and pride of the fleet. Let me make an example: I have one ship with experience 10 then by saying that the ship is my pride suddenly the ship/crew increase its experience. I have a simple mind and I don't get it.

What I can understand, instead, is that people can be more motivated.

Please let me know if this is clear enough for you.

That makes it clear for me, thanks.:) And I think you are right here. To be a Crew member of the Pride-Of-The-Fleet surely boosts moral.
But you can also argue, that on the Pride-Of-The-Fleet only the experienced men and commanders are appointed, so the experience boost is due to the "exchange" of the crew?

That makes it clear for me, thanks.:) And I think you are right here. To be a Crew member of the Pride-Of-The-Fleet surely boosts moral.
But you can also argue, that on the Pride-Of-The-Fleet only the experienced men and commanders are appointed, so the experience boost is due to the "exchange" of the crew?
As far as I understand that is not arguable because in the HOI framework crew is not separated from the ship. Another example here can help: let's say there are two ships A and B with experience respectively 10 and 0. Now I'm appointing ship B as pride of the fleet and I get 2 ships with experience 10. You can see that the crew of ship A has still the same experience and has not moved to ship B.

As far as I understand that is not arguable because in the HOI framework crew is not separated from the ship. Another example here can help: let's say there are two ships A and B with experience respectively 10 and 0. Now I'm appointing ship B as pride of the fleet and I get 2 ships with experience 10. You can see that the crew of ship A has still the same experience and has not moved to ship B.

Thats true. I've learned that I'm not a good advocate for justifying the new features of Semper Fi :rofl:

One last attempt: Maybe the crew is not swapped, but gets a special training... bah that sounds stupid too, why should only this crew get this "super training" and why is this training instant. It must be projected directly in their brains...

O.k. I give up;)

The experience bonus comes with the designation as Pride of the Fleet. If you designate another ship Pride of the Fleet, the previous one loses the bonus (you also take a dissent hit, unless the previous Pride is an obsolete model). It represents the idea that your best people serve on that ship.

I'm not a military man
Plz supplement / fix next statements

Why ships were separated in different fleets?

1. Because there were a lot of areas to defend/attack
2. To interrupt sea communications
3. To kill scouting groups
4. Bacause some ships had some special purposes
5. To avoid general battle

Why in hoi3 you separate your combat fleets - usualy because of stacking penalty.

In this case paradox invented some rules to make player to be in a frame.

This thing should be resolved in a naval combat model. Not in a stacking penalties. That is a wrong approach. Make smaller fleets to run away in front of great ones and you won't need huge stacking penalties to keep player in a frame. Now 3 ship fleet would engage 10 ship fleet and will die. Engagement with a proportionaly bigger numbers should have a same result if both sides decide to engage and now both sides ALWAYS decide to do it

Last edited:
With the new AI forming larger fleets, will it ever perform convoy raiding with just one or two Capital ships ? If so, will it also refrain from performing raiding in high risk areas (such as the English Channel if Germany).

Also have there been any changes to sub warfare ?

The problem is, that the minimum time elapesed in the game is one hour. If you want any interaction with said battles, you will need to make them unrealistically long.

For example I doubt that any battles in the reneisance lasted for weeks, but still, they do in Europa Universalis. Balance reasons.

+1 for me. id like to see whats going on - not just see the popup of battle being over. Migrate to more similar land battles please (just a bit).

While developers are sitting here :)

Will tech tree be reworked and useless techs thrown out/reworked?
I am talking about air techs mostly (targeting bombers/fighters), but Theoretic techs and couple of naval techs could also be made worthwhile.

Now, as a little bonus, I can reveal that we are working on some changes to the supply system. Specifically, it will be possible to set up convoys between points in your home area, thus injecting supplies directly into distant ports, even if there is a land connection to your capital. The example convoy in the screenshot between Los Angeles and San Francisco is of course pointless, but you get the principle; say that Italy holds the entire Mediterranean coast down to Alexandria. In that case, a convoy between Taranto and Alexandria should be quite helpful. Same thing with a German convoy from Kiel to a conquered Archangelsk, etc.

View attachment 24188

This is all dandy but I am worried about the word "manual" as posted elsewhere. Will the ai cancel such setup convoys or not if it sees that the supply depot is huge and more supplies are not needed... I can see a human forgeting all the convoys he set up??

I'm not a military man
Plz supplement / fix next statements

Why ships were separated in different fleets?

1. Because there were a lot of areas to defend/attack
2. To interrupt sea communications
3. To kill scouting groups
4. Bacause some ships had some special purposes
5. To avoid general battle

Why in hoi3 you separate your combat fleets - usualy because of stacking penalty.

In this case paradox invented some rules to make player to be in a frame.

This thing should be resolved in a naval combat model. Not in a stacking penalties. That is a wrong approach. Make smaller fleets to run away in front of great ones and you won't need huge stacking penalties to keep player in a frame. Now 3 ship fleet would engage 10 ship fleet and will die. Engagement with a proportionaly bigger numbers should have a same result if both sides decide to engage and now both sides ALWAYS decide to do it

The runing away thing would be surely handy and I would very much like it, but you still need to represent increasing coordination difficulty of larger fleets. Or you really think that there is nothing like it?
The stacking penalty is good thing. The combat model could use some rework, but with stacking penalty still in it.

The runing away thing would be surely handy and I would very much like it, but you still need to represent increasing coordination difficulty of larger fleets. Or you really think that there is nothing like it?
The stacking penalty is good thing. The combat model could use some rework, but with stacking penalty still in it.

Stacking penalty should be in but it should not be decicive thing as it is now.
When the ship is able to fire and when it is not should be based on its distance first of all.

Paradox should model a naval combat not just with every ship acting on its own but implement some cooperation. When it's done and when ships would wisely dicide to engage or not to engage then the problem with big fleets would be solved.

I just didnt finish naval academy to propose a nice abstraction but i'm sure it is possible to make a good abstracted naval battle.
May be ships should go in columns/double coumns when fight each other. May be they should make circle-like moves.

If paradox at least allowed to model naval battle in mods then an elagant solution would be found sooner or later.

Last edited: