• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Not going well for the Union at all. Typical of McClellan.

Not at all suprised by the Union commanders at the moment. No one that has the courage to do what is neccessary and has no belief that their soldiers can win a battle, for the time being at least. :p

Woohooo, Union doing badly!
Love this aar!

Thanks! ;)

Indeed the Union Armies are doing poorly in the early stages of the Civil War. I blame a combination of poor leadership, incompetance and superior Confederate leadership and morale and perhaps organization against their Northern friends.

* Expect an update by this weekend... I've been very busy lately and haven't had the time to complete an update yet.

Last edited:
Chapter Three

~ Wilson Creek's Cabin, Outskirts of Wilson Creek, Kentucky.

woods.jpg

Inside the old log cabin stood Evan Harris and his most trusted men and allies, of which the Savage brothers were the most reliable and trustworthy of his 'Little Army of Tennessee' as dubbed by the residence of Wilson Creek and the other nearby towns and villages within a thirty mile radius; true now that Evan Harris in a few weeks now has a small and very influencial empire in Southern Tennessee proclaiming their intentions of leaving the Union and becoming part of the Confederate State of Tennessee until the rest of Kentucky either joins the Confederacy or is brought under occupation by the men in grey.

"Any news of the war gentlemen?" asked Evan Harris flanked by his brigade of around twenty men.

"No boss, sadly there isn't anymore good news after Lee's crushing defeat over General Curtis and McClellan in Northen Virginia about a week ago," said one of the soldiers in his command.

"But the whisky... the whisky is in tip top shape I must say," commented Peter Savage as he took another bottle of alcohol from the waitress at the counter with her little daughter beside her. "Thanks mam," finished the gunsling as he began to drink his third bottle in under twenty minutes.

Evan Harris, in his cleaned and fresh brown leather boots and overcoat, with his hat in the typical fashion of a Western gunsling of this time period walked up to the counter with his sinister smile and placed a golden coin on the counter and held up two fingers meaning his want for Scotch from the waitress.

"A twelve year-old scotch Mister Harris, I was saving it for the occassion," said the woman. "Alice, fetch the scotch from the back."

"Yes mum."

"You have a beautiful daughter Mrs. Patterson, I wish I had a respectful young girl like you have."

Mrs. Patterson opened the scotch and rolled it across the counter table to the waiting Evan Harris as he smiled when he caught it in the direction of the young Alice Patterson going back into the kitchen to fetch more glasses and bottles for Harris' men to drink from.

"So boss," started Tank Savage, "when do you think the Confederate armies will move north into Kentucky?"

"Soon," said a confident Evan Harris as he sat back and drank from the scotch bottle. "My complements," he said in the direction of Mrs. Patterson as he put down the bottle to look over the room of men drinking and playing cards early in the afternoon one would presume as no clock was in the cabin.

"I can't say I've seen any of Nathan Bedford Forrest's raiders though for some time," said a man with an eyepatch.

"What importance does that have," responded another man.

"I don't know," shrugged the man with the eyepatch, "I'm just saying," he said as he took a slug of whisky from his whisky glass and slammed it back on the table and announced to the table of card players with him. "All in!" As he moved his chips forward bullets began to ring out from the outside of the cabin.

"Shit, get down. Mrs. Patterson take cover!"

It sounded like hundreds of shots were coming from all sides of the cabin as Evan Harris and his men pulled out their guns and took refuge under windows and holes in the room and began to blindly fire back at their attackers.

"Damn who are they?"

"I take a lo..." the man who stood up was promptly shot in the head and fell back to the ground dead with rich and dark red blood dripping out from his head onto the hard and dark wooden floor.

"Stay low and keep firing!"

For another minute or two the unknown men outside of the cabin continued to pour gunfire into the cabin striking several more of Harris' men, another of which was killed in the process with the woman and her daughter hiding behind the counter screaming as bullets hit the bottles and glasses above them sending small splinters of glass raining down on their hair and dresses.

Evan Harris defiantly shouted outside to the attackers, "Halt! We have women inside!"

A voice from outside replied, "Okay, let them out. You know we don't want to kill any women. You have one minute!"

"Okay Miss, you and you're daughter have to go!"

They both stood up and headed for the door with quick pace, "Oh, you know by God we ain't stayin' here."

Peter Savage kicked the door open for the two females to leave and as Mrs. Patterson and her daughter exited he promptly closed the door with just as much haste as he kicked it open with.

"Load you're guns."

"Who do you think is out there?"

"Men that want that bounty on Evan Harris' head I must presume," answered Tank Savage to his brother's question.

Evan Harris peaked up and out to see flashed of both civilian gunsmen and by the looks of it, sharply dressed soldiers in dark blue.

"Unionist soldiers and civilians," said Evan Harris to all the questions.

The officer outside when Patterson and here daughter were safely away commenced, "Open fire!" and he aimed his pistol along with his many men and civilian counterparts and began to pump more lead into the sides of the cabin.

Inside the windows were cracking, the wood was falling apart; and unable to see their targets outside Harris' men were hopelessly fighting a losing battle. "We can't stay here!" shouted Peter Savage, "we're like fish in a barrell unless we get moving!"

"Outside? Are you mad Peter! We'll get mowed down like jackrabbits out in the open!"

"Not if we get to our horses!"

As the bickering was ensuing inside, several Union soldiers and civilians rushed a burning cart forward to the sides of the log cabin and dashed back as the fire began to spread. Inside the cabin the men could see and smell the smoke coming inside the cabin.

"Now we're going to f****** burn to death in here unless we get out!" exclaimed Peter Savage.

"Shut up! Shut up! We ain't gonna burn in here," said Evan. "We're gonna run out and make a ride outta here together. In a pack its a safe bet that most of us will make it. Just be quick."

Peter Savage placed himself by the door waiting for the order, "Is everybody loaded and ready?"

"Yeah boss."

"Go!"

Peter knocked open the door and ran through the open fields of grass with his hat falling off as he held in both hands his two costum made French and Colt Navy revolvers as he was firing at the soldiers and civilians in the woods and trenches not more than fifty feet away, laughing and screaming in the process.

Others began to follow his example as they covered Evan Harris who was safely tucked away with four of his men covering him with him in the middle. A Union soldier rose up to take a shot and was promptly cut down by a bullet from Peter Savage as they could see their horses at the crest of the hill.

"Go! Go! Go!"

Therun.jpg

"God dammit they're getting away," said the Union Calvary Captain leading the raid. "Mount up they're making a run for it!"

The man with the eyepatch entered the fields with his pistol blazing, only to be cut down by a Union bullet as he collapsed on the ground and got up again, only to stagger a few more steps before being riddled with bullets being such an easy target. Likewise another of Harris' troupe members was shot just as he exited the cabin, the last man to do so.

Fifteen men rushed down the hill to their horses where Peter Savage was already mounted and began to ride into the woods.

"C'mon! Go! Go! Get out!"

Union soldiers appeared from the top of the hill shooting at the fleeing men below them.

"Go! C'mon!" yelled one of Evan's guardsman as they let him mount still covering him. The man was then shot in the back and fell forward leaning on the horse. "Get him out!"

Another member of Harris' gang was shot running down the hill and tumbled down to the rest of the men dead. Tank Savage as he mounted his horse to follow Evan Harris, who with several other men were making their brake into the woods; aimed back and picked off a Union soldier who camed falling down the hill and was then just as suddenly kicked in the mouth by his horse falling and bleeding on the ground. He got up to be picked up by a friend and the double mount ran into the woods with two other men beside them.

The last man was mounting his horse screaming, "Wait! Wait for me!" As he was mounting the saddle he was struck in the back by a Union bullet and fell off the horse dying.

Back at the top of the hill the Union soldiers were mounted as well and began to give pursuit through the woods.

The Union captain leading in the front could see some of the fleeing men in front of him, "Come on boys!" he ordered as he pulled out his pistol and began shooting sending another one of Harris' men falling from his horse. He then moved to cross the river and looked up at the hill, he was the only of the Union men to pause as his soldiers continued with great speed past him on horseback. The sight of a girl caught his attention. "You shouldn't be here," the captain said only to see the red dressed girl, looking like a man pull out a pistol and shoot the captain in the head killing him instantly.

Back in the woods Evan and his men had finally alluded the Union raiders and counted their numbers. "Twelve men. We lost eight," said Evan Harris.

"Seben," said Tank Savage bleeding heavily in the mouth.

"Damn to hell however sold us out to those blue bastard pricks!" shouted Evan Harris. "No one! No one does this to Evan Harris without a direct and bloody punishment in return!"

Last edited:
Yep, seems like Harris will have men after him for the rest of his days. There will be no peace for him. Looks like he's willing to let a few men die toget what he wants to. And did I get the hint he might even want Mrs. Patterson's daughter? :eek:

The earlier scene I somehow missed. :eek:o But caught it now and see that the Union should spend more time working against the larger armies and not so much after this ruffian. ;)

Chapter Three

"Branch out, secure the perimeter."

"Okay lieutenant! Yah!"

Several men on horseback came strolling through the plains nearby the Smith Family Farm which caught the attention of the Mrs. inside who grew nervous at the sight of the Union calvary soldiers moving in closer to their home.

"It's secure sir."

"Very good."

"Shall we press the orders?"

"No, that's my job now," answered the lieutenant.

Mr. Smith came out to the patio and introduced himself, following with a polite question, "Who are you guys and what do you want with us?"

Unioncalvary.jpg

The lieutenant removed his hat and began, "You are the Smith family correct?"

"That is correct."

"You have a son who has enlisted in the Union Army, correct?"

"Yeah," jumped to answer a now extremely nervous Mrs. Smith, "why? Did something happen to him..."

"Rebecca..."

"No Tom! You let me finish. Did something happen to my son!"

"Mam," said the officer, "he just wanted you to have this letter."

"You bastard! Do you have any idea of what you've just put me through?!"

"Please maddam, you jumped the gun."

"Just give me the letter."

The Union officer handed her the letter with his white gloves on both hands, and then Mrs. Smith entered her home once again with a letter in her hand and sat down at the table where she had earlier opened a letter from Bill, now having one from Tom she had some joy knowing both of her sons where still alive and doing, to her knowledge, just fine at the moment.

"You must excuse my wife, these times have put a lot of stress on her recently."

"Understood sir," answered the lieutenant.

"These are particularly unsafe grounds for Federal soldiers, especially a small party like that of yourselves."

"You need to worry about us sir. Old Johnny Red wouldn't dare invade Union held territory."

"With all do respect, the Union Army is over one-hundred miles away."

"Or is it..." responded the officer pointing to the roads behind him.

"My God."

"As I said before sir. The Rebs would have to be idiotic to invade," said the officer with a large smile on his face as he and his men rode off to join the columns of advancing soldiers in blue.

"Rebecca! Rebecca, Rebecca! Look outside!"

When Mrs. Smith saw the sight of thousands of Union soldiers only around one hundred yards away, she began to ask, "Is Tom in there?"

"More than likely."

UnionMarch.jpg

~ Inside Wilson Creek.

"Look at that. Just take a look at that," said Evan Harris peeking out of window.

"There must be tens of thousands."

"Be real now, Peter. The Union Army of the West doesn't have that kind of manpower. Look at the man on the white horse, that's General Banks. He looks scared, he's gonna get defeated again, and this time he won't escape with his army."

"Maybe they came for you."

Evan laughed, "Stop bullshitting me like that. Horray! Horray! Horray for Lincoln! God save the Union!"

"What was the point of that?" questioned Peter Savage as Evan Harris closed the door and walked in.

"None at all, but all I have to say is that there will be a great battle not too long from now...

..."Johnston has thirty-thousand men in his command just south of our positions. Banks has around thirty-five thousand men in his command, but he must have left some back at his bases in fear of Nathan Bedford Forrest and his raiders. The battle should be even in numbers and the yanks will be whipped again just like at Onieda and in Virginia. There's no hope for the Stars and Stripes anymore, if they were gonna win they would have done it by now."

"God have mercy on there souls, for Johnston and the devil will not."

Last edited:
Methinks Harris is jumping the gun a bit here. A little over sure, he is.

Nice to see that family getting some word from their sons.

@ coz1: we cannot forget about the men, more over boys at war now can we?

@ Enewald: Indeed, it looks like the Union will try to move into a more successful Western Theatre after their Eastern Offensive with McClellan at the realm had failed. And the Confederation will stop the incompetant Union Army I must say with much confidence.

*The future battle will be one of hardships and horror. And sorry for a lack of updates, I've been really busy lately but hope to have a completed update later this week. And thanks to all of those who still read and support this AAR, it means a lot!

i'm reminded a little of We were soldiers...

i see a large battle coming.

Chapter Three

~ Northern Tennessee

"Company, fall in! Call in ranks!"

"A, here! B, here! C, here! D, here! E, here! F, here! G, here!"

"Company! Forward march!"

The Union Army of Tennessee marched vigorously south and was headed in two pincer moves to try and catch the Confederates ofguard. It was now September 22, 1861 and the American Civil War to this point had been defined by the two major battles of Oneida (TN) and Staunton (VA) which were both crushing victories for the Confederacy and likewise just as crushing defeats for the Union.

Tom by now, along with his comrades Justin, Paul and Mike had grown accustomed to the long hours of marching the Union officers put the common soldier through on a daily base. Jokes were now being spiked up by the soldiers as the mocked their officers, "Okay boys, we get up at seven and march until sundown, stopping only one time during the day which would be lunch, and somehow we only manage to march a grande total of eight miles in that day. Amazing!"

True it was that the Union Army moved at such a sluggish pace when compared to their Southern rivals. In Virginia, a one Brigadier General Thomas J. Jackson moved his army from Kenston Virginia to Freetown Virginia, a thirty-two mile march in a matter of one day then proceded in the following morning to stun the Union forces holding the ridges and forts around Freetown they put up little resistance during McClellan's 'fool proof' Richmond Campaign which ended in the major defeat at the Battle of Staunton. And here in the Western Theatre, Albert Sydney Johnston was able to, on an average account from other generals and officers march his entire army about twenty-two miles a day, far outreaching the pety eight or nine miles that Nathaniel Prentice Banks and Don Carlos Buell were able to get out of their armies.

However it may, the Union thrust into Tennessee came off of some high notes. At Springfield, Missouri a Union Army of 8,000 men led by Brigadier General John C. Freemont defeated a Confederate Army of 9,600 men of which half were Missouri state militia in a two day battle which resulted in the end of the Confederate thrust to try and forcefully take back what parts of Missouri were captured at the hands of the former American politician turned General. The battle however was not considered large by any means, only 450 Union soldiers were listed as casualties and 720 Confederates. News of the victory reached Banks as he began his third attempt at bringing his army across several rivers and fords along the Kentucky-Tennessee border.

"Hey Tom," said Justin, "did you hear what the new deal is with this offensive?"

"The plan is to seize Knoxville with the main force, bringing the main Confederate Army into battle and crushing it, while the smaller portion of ten-thousand or so men march to seize Nashville with a force that should be large enough to crush anything that tries to stand up against it. In short, we split the Western Confederacy from the Eastern part as they no longer have a main Western Army. We can then slowly make our way down the Mississippi and the war will be over by Christmas."

"And there he goes again," interrupted Mike, "talking about shit that will that no one of us can ever understand."

"You should read more books Mike," answered Tom.

"Books are for cowards, look at our President he ain't no different from us and he turned out to be our president!"

"Attention!"

Colonel Sickles rode passed Tom and his friends on horseback headed to the front of the column while the entire line picked up their posture and quieted their speaking.

"At ease men."

"Like I said, if he ain't ever read a book and became President, why should I read another book outside of the one we had to read to use our guns."

"Because," said Paul, "it makes you smarter."

"Oh, I see. Yall think I'm a dumbin' or something." They all started to laugh at Mike's attempt to be a comedian once again.

Meanwhile, as the Union forces advanced south; General Albert Sydney Johnston was more worried about the capital of the state and his spies had misjudged the sizes of both Union detachments. They reported the opposites of the true, the larger was headed for Nashville and the smaller to Knoxville so he and Major General Leonidas Polk were headed off to Nashville with the bulk of the Confederate Army of the Tennessee, the Union trap was working, for the time being at least...

Tennesseemovements.jpg

The Army and troop placements and advancements from August to September 22, 1861 in the state of Tennessee. Unknown to Banks or to Johnston the ensuing battle of the campaign would be the bloodiest and largest ever seen to date (their date) on the North American continent and show that Napoleonic tactics were long outdated by 1861.

Outdated tactics and slow movement do not bode well, though it sounds as though the Union has an idea of a way to make some solid movement against the south. Good to see another update.

I don't care whether or not the Union boys have to march all the way to the Rio Grande.. I'm still cheering for them boys in blue!

Outdated tactics and slow movement do not bode well, though it sounds as though the Union has an idea of a way to make some solid movement against the south. Good to see another update.

Thanks, slow and outdated is the motto of the Union Army in these times even though the plans of their commanders are well drawn out with their superior strenght in numbers, they just lack the proper ability to execute their objectives to crush the Confederacy.

I don't care whether or not the Union boys have to march all the way to the Rio Grande.. I'm still cheering for them boys in blue!

At least I know I have some readAARs that care and shall cheer for those Union boys.

Maybe the Rio Grande is their end destination after all, who knows? :p

Chapter Three

~ 7th Tennessee Regimental Camp, Knoxville Tennessee.

Colonel Chapmen was walking through the camp and caught the immediate attention of Bill and his comrades. His childhood friend David was now a new recruit with the regiment hailing from Wilson's Creek just as he did. Both were quick to dress in their dark navy and grey uniforms and walked outside to get a whiff of the fresh September air.

Colonel Chapman was rallying the men to a small wooden stand constructed for such a purpose of the regimental commander like a speech, which was the apparent of the colonel's to-do wish as he stepped up to get the full attention of the regiment which gave him their upmost respect.

"Attention. Attention men. I know we haven't always gotten along, that we haven't always seen eye-to-eye, whether it be with me or your officers or even your friends and comrades of the Seventh Tennessee. But now we have something more important than friendship, family and war; but a love and defense of something that we all believe in, freedom! Tennessee has offered me a new chance, a new chance at life and a new chance at becoming a new man in these dark days we've come to know. I hope for you, as it is to me that it is to be a better man than before. I know what job I was going to recieve when I enlisted with the Confederacy and knew that I was going to face hardships from the North and will probably die for what I believe in. But I ask all of you, you common men that have gathered from all across the corners of this new great Confederacy and from every state that it has to offer what it is that you value so greatly in that you were willing to leave your old country and state to join a new one?

ConfederateRally.jpg

"I rather think I know the answer to many of your thoughts and beliefs. Whether it be yours or not, I can tell that to this day we all have one thing in common; we are willing to die for this new Confederacy and all she has to offer. But now this is all in, in great jepardy of collapsing. In the west, the Union have scored their first victory of the war, albeit small and rather unimportant; it has given them the confidence that we are beatable as they defeated a larger force. And as you all know, President Davis has moved the capital north to Richmond, Virginia now only one-hundred or so miles from the Union capital of Washington D.C. We have reports of a massive Union offensive campaign aimed at ending the war before Christmas of this very year, this could very much happen. We are the cornerstone and the Western most important Army of the Confederacy, when we fall; half of the Confederacy will fall.

"I ask of all of us to put aside what personal differences we have and gather around the one thing we all hold dear to our hearts, this land we call Dixie! Union forces outnumber nearly two-to-one and have moved into Tennessee itself in beginning this offensive. Far off away from Nashville, Major General Davidson and a small brigade of his division ran into a massive Union juggernaut and that defeat led to General Johnston and Polk to move out to protect Nashville. Now we have reports from Nathan Bedford Forrest's calvary that an even larger Union force is coming down upon us. General Bragg thinks it's best not too sit and wait for our impending doom behind the woods and trenches of Knoxville. Tomorrow we embark upon a great journey to go against a Union force nearly four times larger than that of our own. General Bragg is convinced in assaulting them and inflicting upon them as much damage as possible and slow their advance southward as much as possible until conscription or volunteers can raise another Army of the West.

"Many of us will not be returning to the loved ones we have, or the homes we now fight to protect. I'm not supposed to do this but if any man wants to leave now in these bleak times now, I will allow them to do so without charges of desertion. You may return to your homes and families and friends and live out the rest of this war of the states.

(Not a single man appeared to be leaving)

"Thankyou. Now tomorrow we move with the rest of our corps. General Bragg has insisted that haste and vigor be our priorities so make it. I shall see you all through to the end when and if the great battle that is coming arrives. I may not know all of you, but I know you all know me by name at the very least. I regret that I look out and can only name my officers and few of my soldiers who do the real fighting and then we steal all the glory for it. God bless you all, and I sincerely wish you all the best."

Bill Smith turned to David, "What a speech, it almost makes me want to cry."

"A man like him knows how to be charasmatic when needed and a true inspirator as well."

"Do you think it's true then? About the battle and the armies and all?"

"I wouldn't think why not? Afterall, you've been apart of this regiment longer than I have."

"True that."

Night quickly fell upon the Confederate camp, unease filled the air. Of one-thousand men, all had butterflies and an unclear concious of what their Colonel had just told them. Many were reflecting back to their homes and to their loved ones that, according to Colonel Chapman, they would never see again. Bill was no different than the rest of the men and boys in the regiment. In his tent he began to look back on what was his life up to this point.

He recalled the fight and beating he put upon his older brother months ago when they both decided to fight but for the opposing sides. He thought of his mother and father and brothers and sisters who he hastely abadoned in his rush to fight for the Confederacy. He began to tear up in his eyes. He cycled in his mind, "Do they still care about me? Do they still love me? Will they ever accept me again, and is Tom still alive?"

Bill was unable to quickly fall asleep as he looked over to his friend David who seemed to easily fall asleep or was good at faking it. He looked straight up at the white tent ceiling and began to gently close his eyes, unsure of the last time he would see his family was one he would like to redeem or not have done such actions in the first place. Now, more than ever; Bill came closer to Saints and Angels.

Napoleonic tactics get never old, only some parts of them get old! :D

I honestly like fighting in that old style better, it just seems much more gentleman-like, lining up to fire volleys at your enemy only 100 feet away and then charge with a bayonet. That's war.

Now-a-days we call ina smart bomb or an air strike from miles away and waltz in with our fancy tanks and APC's like nothing happened. :p

An amazing AAR to say the very least. It's well written and a great story! Keep up the good work!

Thank you! It's great to have a new readAAR around! :cool:

Chapter Three

~ By September 29, 1861 the armies of both the Union and Confederacy were on the move. Nathan Bedford Forrest had earlier alarted Lieutenant General Albert Sydney Johnston on September the 24th, of a much larger Union Army marching down in the direction of Knoxville. The Confederate General quickly turned his army around and marched toward the path of the oncoming soldiers of Major General Nathaniel Prentice Banks.

By contrast, Banks hadn't been informed well by his spies and calvary of the massive swing of Confederate forces, though he still outnumbered the Confederate Army by a considerable margin of 41,000 to 26,000; the general made the always precious mistake of splitting his forces. Brigadier General David Hunter and Benjamin M. Prentiss to ford the rivers at one point while Banks himself, along with Brigadier General Sedgwick were to cross at the Harper's Bridge some fourty miles to the east of the fording positions of Hunter and Prentiss.

~ Wood's near Clinch Mountain, 7th Tennessee Regiment.

"I hate all of this marching," said David to Bill.

"Naw, it ain't so bad; you eventually get used to it after a while," responded Bill to his friend.

"You've been here longer than I have," answered David.

"So, does that make me a better shot or soldier than you too?" said Bill rather quickly.

"I guess not, we all know who could shot better between the two of us," joked David as he nodged Bill's shoulder.

"From what I heard fellas," said Tim Ruth, a soldier behind them, "General Bragg is hoping to combine with Johnston and launch a massive surprise attack on the Union Army."

"Is that a fact?" question Bill.

"Yeah. Nathan Bedford Forrest has given him the news that the Union Army is separated in two halves, about fifteen-thousand in the first and the other twenty or so thousand bringing up the rear."

"How do you hear all of this news?" asked David, "We never get to hear anything like that."

"I don't," responded Tim, "I only heard rumors from some of the officers so I take their word for it."

"Well," said Bill, "if the officers talk about it then it's good enough for me."

"Aye," said David as he moved his head up, "an officer's word is just about the only thing you can trust now-a-days."

The Confederate regiment marched in nice lines of four men along the narrow mountain passes surrounded by tall trees, which were at this point in the year beginning to turn a nice orange and red colour, one much more beautiful than the typical green of the summer as long as they held must of their leaves which the trees currently were. A red leaf snapped off of it's branch and slowly fell to the ground, passing a birds' nest along the way to land directly in front of the marching foots of the Confederate soldiers, of whom Bill was the first to step on it and implant it into the ground.

~ Union Army of the Tennessee, 5th Kentucky Regiment. III-Corps under the command of Brigadier General Sedgwick.

Tom and his friends were marching in an easy filed line of soldiers who were mostly marry and giddy in their approach into Confederate lands. Most of the men were laughing and even drinking as they were marching south, unaware of the small but effective force of Confederate soldiers marching north to match them in the fields of battle.

"Hey Tom, don't you think the rebs will flee and run at the sight of our mighty army?" charasmatically asked Justin to his childhood friend.

"Hopefully, then the war could definately be over by Christmas."

Paul began to laugh, "Are you serious? Have you looked at the men? It would take a year to march all across the Confederacy with these soldiers and officers."

To which Tom defiantly answerd, "Diplomacy will take care of that rather true statement."

To all their amazement they saw Major General Banks and his staff out along side them this evening, holding their colours high for all to see.

"Is that who I think it is?" asked Justin.

"General Banks is here guys," was the word that spread like wildfire through the men. They stopped laughing and put away the smiles, songs and drinks and turned about to look and march straight forth like a professional army would when their commanding officer was around.

"He's taller than I expected," said Justin to Tom.

"That's because we're only eighteen, nineteen and he's a full grown man you idiot," answered Tom who kept his eyes forward but his lips at an angle to respond.

"The men at least can tell who their commander is, I'm proud of that," said Banks to Sedgwick. "Are they usually like this?"

"My men are optimistic," answered General Sedgwick.

"Optimistic? I'm not optimistic. I'm concerned about a battle and a victory which not only the president needs but the Union needs. I don't need optimism from my men but a good battle and a victory."

"The men should be happy though," repsonded General Sedgwick.

General Banks laughed, "Make sure when battle comes they aren't singing and drunk. Understood?"

"Ofcourse General, I shall inform them immediatley," said General Sedgwick as he saluted General Banks his superior.

"At ease General, have a good day," said General Banks as he turned his steed around and his staff followed him back to the rear of the Union lines.

- The stage was now set for the most important and deciesive battle of the first year of this great American Tragedy. Brother against brother, father agains son. The largest battle in North American history up to this date was about to be fought as both sides marched towards each other, knowing what was about to happen yet, not knowing what was about to happen.

TennesseePrelude.jpg

ah the tension builds. cant wait for the battle.