• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
John VIII Palaeologus

If Manuel II was the new Aeneas, John VIII was the new Augustus. He, more than anyone else, laid the foundation for the reemergence of the Roman Empire. However, as his accession, the Empire was still hemmed in and restrained by enemies to the West, South and East. The Ottomans, although temporarily defeated, remained a significant threat; the Comneni in Trabzon were expanding their power base in a way that both sides recognized would lead to an inevitable clash; and the Italians continued their meddling in the affairs of the Empire. Although their client state of Albania/Epirus has been conquered and absorbed by Wallachia, they maintained a strong presence in the Duchy of Athens, as well as in the islands of the Aegean and Ionian seas.

Shortly after his enthronement, John VIII began regularly sending the Roman fleet to the Aegean. This was presented to the ambassadors of Athens, Venice and the Turks as merely facilitating communication between Constantinople and Morea. In fact, these trips were undertaken in order to continuously assess the changing situation in the Aegean islands, and to revive the hope of Roman control over these territories. Imperial agents were often dropped by small vessel on these islands – men and women who had ties to the island communities were able to return easily and blend in to the local populations, and plant the seeds of support for an eventual (hoped for) return to the Empire.

In May of 1436, the Emperor received the news that Italy had descended into war as the Papal States, Tuscany, Sienna and Athens launched a war against Milan and Mantua – this was welcome news to the Imperial court as it moved the focus of Italian meddling away from the Empire. In July, the major nations of the West united in a crusade. Aragon, Burgundy, Navarre, England, Brabant, Brittany and Cologne declared war on the Emirate of Granada. Perhaps they were emboldened by the success of the Romans in the East, but they were to be very disappointed in the outcome.

In late summer, more good news arrived in with launch of war by the Ottomans against the Comneni in Trabzon. There were many people who counseled that the Empire should go to the aid of the Comneni, believing that the difference between the Comneni and Palaeologi was that of two brothers fighting over an inheritance: reasonable until outside forces conspired against one, at which time the bothers should unite until the external force was defeated.

It is reported in an earlier volume of the History of Rome http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155695 that the Emperor Georgios Palaeologus and his advisors had a similar discussion over the attack of the Seljuk Turks on the kingdom of Georgia. The Empress at that time, Thera, was a passionate advocate of intervention to save Orthodox lives. The Emperor was just as passionate about savings the lives of the Orthodox, but refused to succor a kingdom that had overreached its limits by recklessly attacking the Turkish states that surrounded it. Far better, he reasoned, to open the doors of the Empire to those who wished to flee, and to wait for the appropriate moment in the future to bring those lands back into the Empire.

Citing the precedent of this distant ancestor, John VIII refused to make common cause with the Comneni against the Turks, but did send the Roman fleet to the coasts of Trabzon to provide a means of rescue to those who wished to flee the advance of the Turkish armies.

The following January, the Roman fleet returned from its last trip to the Black Sea with the final refugees from Trabzon. Many leading citizens of that city come to the City at that time. They requested an audience with the Emperor. They reported that the Turks had destroyed the army of Trabzon, had surrounded and completely cut the city off from the countryside, and would no doubt capture it shortly. They encouraged the Emperor to come to the aid of the Orthodox faithful of the land. The commander of the fleet confirmed that these observations were true.

In February, after many consultations with his Council, John VIII declared war on the Turks. This was the situation before war was declared.

143102ontheeveoftheendofthe2nd.jpg

John invited Moldova and Wallachia to join in this war, which he publicly declared was an attempt to save the Orthodox faithful. They accepted. Of course, as the record shows, John believed that with the Turk’s main army occupied in the far east of Asia Minor, this was his chance to strike. He hoped to take advantage of the disarray that had befallen the Turkish emirate at the death of Beyazit. His four sons, taking their clue from Beyazit’s actions at his accession, immediately drew the country into armed camps that engaged is a fierce civil war – this was the true legacy of Beyazit, and the principle reason behind the peace offered to the Romans under Manuel II. That peace was offered in Beyazit’s name, but by his Grand Vizier, desperate to keep the tribes from being overrun by the armies of Rome and her allies. With the Emirate on the verge of falling into pieces at that time, if only Manuel’s sight (and knowledge) had extended into the court of the Emir, he might have conquered much more…

In any event, this civil war raged for several years. Eventually Murad II, the grandson of Beyazit, managed to defeat (and kill, being a true inheritor of Beyazit) his rivals and reestablish central control over the Emirate. The war against Trabzon was obviously a strategy designed to take the aggressions of these competing factions and direct them towards an external foe.

As during the First Ottoman War, the fleet was moved to the Marmara to keep Turkish forces from crossing into Thrace and directly attacking the City. Konstantinos (the brother of John VIII) moved with the main Roman army to Macedonia, where he engaged and defeated a substantial Ottoman force. He then repeated this in Bulgaria, but moved back to Macedonia to besiege the city of Thessaloniki.

In October, the Italian merchants in the Galata district were found guilty of bribing Roman merchants supplying the war effort to use higher-priced Italian imports; this corruption extended up into the senior levels of the military. John VIII felt that he could not afford to divide his attentions at this critical time and turned a blind eye to these activities. But it was a cruel blow to the Emperor, who lived only for the Empire, that his people would seek to profit from the trials and tribulations of the Empire.

The close of the year saw another Ottoman attempt to break the siege in Macedonia, but it failed. The ability of the Ottoman armies to freely traverse the Duchy of Athens proved to the court that the Italian Duke of Athens (and his Italian puppet masters) was still bent on using any means available to keep the Empire from growing to challenge Italian dominance in the Aegean.

In early 1428, after a three-year siege, Ragusa fell to the Venetians, who annexed the city. Mourning for the brave citizens of the free city of Ragusa was ordered by the Emperor.

The summer of 1428 saw Roman successes on many fronts: the siege of Thessaloniki was a success, and the city was restored to its rightful place in the Empire. John VIII took the surrender in person to honor his father, who ruled as co-Emperor from there in the days prior to its capture by the Turks. I believe it was at this time that John VIII began to consider reviving the institution of co-Emperor. Although he had been married three times, he still had no children, and his paramount concern was for the safety of the Empire. The history of Rome is littered with examples of the disastrous impact of the failure of the Imperial Family to produce an heir. Ensuring the succession became a key concern for John, and in this, too, he was very similar to Augustus.

The capital of the Turks was besieged by Konstantinos that summer, and the Ottoman fleet was driven from the Marmara, and then from the Aegean. Konstantinos moved the main Roman army to Smyrna, but not in time to stop a force of Turks from crossing through Athens to lay siege to the cities of Macedonia and Thrace. Our auxiliaries from the City went out to meet them, but were driven back behind the walls.

In November, the court heard a most remarkable and alarming piece of news from the West – Aragon had been defeated by the Emirate of Granada and forced to pay 312 caskets of gold for peace. Why the Emirate failed to ask for land was unknown to us, but the defeat of so many western powers by the remnant of the Umayyads was astounding. The Emperor led prayers and offered gifts to God to ensure that it would not be a sign of the outcome of the war with the Ottomans.

One year later, in the fall of 1429, Smyrna fell to Konstantinos. The people of the rich province of Smyrna were welcomed back into the Roman Empire. Konstantinos moved the army to Anatolia and began besieging Murad’s capital. The Ottoman fleet surprised our fleet in the Aegean and Marmara, and had several signal successes against us, culminating with a defeat of the main Roman fleet under the sea walls of the City. The Emperor, under a great deal of anxiety with the Turkish fleet sailing below the City walls, called the leading merchants of the City (including the Italians from Galata) and convinced them that it would be appropriate for them to offer the Empire a loan of 300 chests of gold. In the end the duplicitous Italians failed to deliver as agreed, but 200 chests were nonetheless delivered.

In mid-year Anatolia was captured. Good news arrived from Italy when it was learned that Mantua had triumphed over the grasping Pope (even with the annexation of her ally Milan by Sienna), and had forced the Pope to his knees at Canosa (an ironic choice of locations and actions) in contrition for launching the Italian War. Mantua received 112 crates of gold and the provinces of Marche and Romagna in reparations from that most wicked Pope.

Konstantinos moved on to Angora to besiege the last bastion of Ottoman power (Bulgaria having fallen to Moldovan forces earlier in the war.) Our small auxiliary forces sallied from the City to meet an Ottoman force moving into Thrace, but was defeated with significant loses. But as the Ottoman fleet moved into position to resupply the Turkish forces, our gallant fleet sailed proudly from the Golden Horn into the Marmara, and in three separate engagements, drove the Ottomans back into the Aegean with significant losses. Our troops from the City then drove the demoralized Turks out of Thrace as they watched their fleet sink to the bottom of the Marmara and flee down the Hellespont. Konstantinos captured Angora in April of 1431.

Murad II, the Emir of the Turks, was forced to make peace with the Emperor and the Empire. He was required to tear down the Fortress of Asia (to remove his ability to threaten Roman vessels on the Bosphorus) and surrender Angora, Macedonia and Smyrna to the Roman Empire, and Bulgaria to Moldova. Celebrations were held throughout the Empire, as people long-absent from the loving arms of the Empire were joined to it again. John VIII, in commemoration of this event, commissioned monuments and churches throughout the Empire.

And he decided, as had his father and grandfather, to travel to the nations of Europe. But unlike those trips, which were driven by the needs of the Empire for support and succor from the West, John VIII planned to travel to demonstrate his wealth, power and prestige as Conqueror of the Turk, and to reassert the status and reputation of the Empire on the West.

johnviiipaleologos1zq.jpg

PS Thames, I hope it's OK to reference your excellent history of the Palaeologi! It fit so well! :D

That's a job well done! Hope holding on to isolated Angora wasn't too much of a headache, what with it being Turkish and Muslim... But judging from your continuous sniping at 'the Italians' and the Pope, you probably didn't waste your religious tolerance sliders on Catholic. :p

I like the way you keep putting in references to those untrustworthy Italians and that reference to Thames' AAR was very creative! Which reminds me: I should go and check if he has updated...

Keep up the good work!

Not to be too nitpicky, but the screenshot taken "right before the war" is dated 1431 but the narrative of the war details battles and other events in 1428 and 1429. So when was it really?

I'm glad to see this war was more productive. I presume you didn't let the Turks recover, but struck them down for good ASAP.

Athens should be an imminent target for reabsorption into the Empire.

Then, only a few short steps to Roman Hindustan. :D :eek:

Edit: PS. I see Byzantium has core shields over most of Hungary?? I don't remember anything like that when I played them. Is that in the AGCEEP?

jwolf, those are the cores you get with vanilla EU2, at least between patches 1.05 and 1.08 (which is what I have experience of). Don't know for sure how the Hungarian cores are justified by Paradox, but it might be because the Hungarians were forced to swear fealty to the Empire sometime around 1160 or so. It never was a true vassalage, but it might have been Paradox's inspiration.

No such thing as too nit-picky!

jwolf -- thanks for the note. I totally meant to mention the date inconsistency. I failed to take a screen shot before the launch of the war, and I realized it just before bringing the Ottomans to the peace table. So I took a quick snapshot of the situation that still reflected the pre-war reality in terms of land; then I failed to take the screen shot of the results of the peace! It was LATE at night. Post 1460 or so I got much better...

I also think the cores into Hungary are a little odd, particularly since there are no cores on Southern Italy, Tunisia, Crimea, or any of Iberia (Justinian's reconquest...) But they are convenient, that's for sure! ;) I can't remember what the cores are in the AGCEEP for Byzantium -- but different, I think.

I'm just now playing a game as Granada in the AGCEEP, and I had no cores (other than the two provinces I started with) until I happened to declare war on Castile a few years into the game, and I got most of southern Iberia as cores -- that was cool. Now I just have capture them before I'm destroyed! I played a game once before as Granada (not AGCEEP) where I conquered Portugal, took Castile and Aragon down to one province each, colonized all of South America, conquered the Inca and allied with the Aztecs, and had a blast. Then I deleted all the files and screenshots in a move to a new operating system -- that was a SAD DAY!!!!! :eek:

I'm enjoying you story. Smart move taking out the Turks early. :cool:
Looking forward to more.

Joe

jwolf and Stuyvesant: In EU2 vanilla GC, Byzantium and Ottoman Empire have the exact same core territory. In AGCEEP, events and fantasy events give CB shields to Ottoman Empire and Roman Empire respectively. I haven't checked, but it sounds like events give CB shields to Grenada in AGCEEP. (I always check the event files before playing a state. Remember that show "Morning Edition"? Neither do I. :p )

Marco: I should've guessed this, but you've already played through this, right?
Check out my post#; I'm a lurker, but I haven't been lurking in AARs for long, so forgive my inexperience when seeing these things. :eek:

Cloudyvortex: Thanks for posting! I read for along time before I tried my hand at an AAR. I'm lucky that some of the people I really admire are reading and commenting! I tried to take notes while I played in the past so that I could do a real-time AAR, but I just can't get that system down! :wacko: So when this game started being fun I just decided to play it to however it would end, and then recapture the story through the event log. That's why I'm taking this historical approach in the writing...maybe next time I'll try to do a live report! That's hard, though!

In the summer of 1431, John VIII left Constantinople with a huge retinue of courtiers, knights, ladies, the Patriarch and many monks. The number was reported to be close to 1,000 people in all. The boarded an innumerable number of ships in the harbors of the City, and sailed to Smyrna, where he made a triumphal entry into the city.

He was welcomed by Konstantinos and the Roman Army. In August, John crowned his brother as co-Emperor. Konstantinos XI Dragash (he took his Imperial name from his mother’s family, to whom he had always been close) was given the Anatolian provinces to govern. As the foremost Roman general of his day (he was the best Roman general to come to the throne in many years, in fact), he also promised in his coronation oath to retake Rome's ancestral land from the Ottomans, the Ghaznids, the remnants of the Danishmends and Seljuks, and the Arabs.

Following the coronation, John VIII set out for Thessaloniki, where he dedicated the rebuilt city walls in honor of this father’s reign as co-Emperor from the city. He sent his mother, Helena Dragash back to Constantinople as regent in his absence, and set his entourage on the road for Durrazzo. He traveled through Bulgaria (recently captured by Moldova) and Albania/Epirus (held by Wallachia) to the ancient port of Durrazzo. Here he boarded the Roman fleet and sailed to Duchy of Mantua.

The old Duke had welcomed his father in his time of need; John VIII wished to repay this kindness by honoring the Duke’s son, Ludovico II, now Duke himself. Also, Mantua’s recent defeat of the Bishop of Rome had brought the ancient Roman capital of Ravenna into Mantua’s domains, and John VIII wished to visit this ancient of Roman power in Italy.

The Venetian ambassador sent this message to the Doge and Council in Venice:

The Emperor arrived with a vast number of courtiers, ladies, knights and ecclesiastical officials. The Patriarch of Constantinople himself travels with the Emperor as his advisor, and is clearly his inferior in power and majesty. The fleet that brought this vast retinue to Ancona was itself an armada – it turned the Adriatic for a moment into a Byzantine sea, rather than a Venetian one -- a marked change from the true Nature of things. No doubt this was what the proud and arrogant Byzantines wished us to see.

The Emperor also clearly wishes us to see the Patriarch subservient to him – he relishes his position as ruler of his temporal and spiritual kingdom. He is anxious, I am sure, to undermine the position of the Pope through this show of power and position. In this he certainly has the support of Duke Ludovico.

I have been unable to directly approach the Emperor – his court clearly functions to mainly keep away ambassadors. And yet, Duke Ludovico enjoys great familiarity with the Emperor and Empress, riding with him, feasting at the high table and seeming to be his closest of confidants. I can only imagine what this upstart is putting into the Emperor’s ear; their recent trip to Ravenna stirred disturbing thoughts of Byzantine designs on Italian soil.

The vast throngs of people that travel with the Emperor are all decked in jewels and silks, the value of which I cannot begin to assess. However, it surprises me that the Byzantine state could support such a costly enterprise. A few random (or not so random) whispers have reached my ear that the wealth on display is the wealth that Venice lost in the fall of Thessaloniki and Smyrna; the Emperor’s representative has assured me that he has it on the best authority that the Turks destroyed our warehouses as they fled those cities. I have my doubts. I will continue to investigate.

The Emperor plans to move directly from Mantua to the courts of Western Europe, where he no doubts plans to use his prestige and ill-gotten wealth to influence those kings. He willingly insults us by refusing our offers of hospitality.

This state is rising, and assuming the ancient arrogance of Rome. We must be cautious and watch (and contain) its growth if we can, or it will, I am certain, attempt to threaten our commercial dominance of the East. And perhaps even the existence of our territories there -- they have designs, I have discovered, on everything Rome has possessed. Perhaps this hubris will lead to their downfall. We can only hope (and help) it happen thus.

From Mantua, the Emperor moved, as reported by the Venetian ambassador, towards the courts of the western kings. Although Siena was not a particular friend of Rome, the magnificence of the Emperor’s entourage dazzled the eyes of this small hillside city, and they allowed transit through their territory of Milan. (The Sienese, in those days, were really just poor country bumpkins, to coin a phrase – they were certainly no Florentine Medici. The heights they reached in later years was amazing to the world. But this lack of worldly sophistication served the Emperor well, and he traveled through Milan towards France as guests of the Commune.)

The Emperor’s entry into Paris was magnificent. He encouraged his knights to take part in the jousts and tournaments set in motion by the French king. The ladies of the court sparkled like rare jewels. Hunting, dances, feasts and travels through the rich kingdom were pursued by all parties. The Emperor and the king of France ended this period of great royal and Imperial amity by agreeing to a marriage alliance. This was the first linking the Roman Empire to the kingdoms of the west.

The Emperor repeated these triumphal entries into the capitals of the major western kingdoms – Burgundy, England and Aragon. In each he arranged an Imperial marriage (while he had no children, the Palaeologi had a vast family network to draw upon, each member of which had the scent and glimmer of Imperial power clinging to them.) He left these ladies and gentlemen of noble birth with large retinues of advisors and courtiers in each of these countries. He cleverly leveraged the immense prestige he had gained as the conqueror of the Turk to bring the major royal houses of Europe in to the orbit of the Empire.

Returning to the Empire via Austria and Hungary, the Emperor was also able to bring Hungary into our alliance. With our strong allies Wallachia, Moldova and now Hungary, the Empire was assured of peaceful European borders, which allowed us to focus on the reconquest of Anatolia. Serbia’s unwillingness to rejoin the alliance caused some consternation at the court, but her primary concern at that time in her history was keeping Croatia and the rapacious Venetians from consuming her territory.

The one cloud that appeared on the horizon at this time was the defeat of Naples by the Italian alliance headed by the Bishop of Rome. This resulted in the cessation of Apulia to the greedy Pope and the vassalage of that city (which belonged to the Empire) to that usurper of religious rights. This somewhat restored his power and prestige after the catastrophic loss or Romagna and Marche to Mantua, but at the expense of leading an attack on fellow Catholic Christians.

In late 1436 John VIII returned to Constantinople from his triumphant tour of the western kingdoms. Marriage alliances brought the kingdoms of France, Burgundy, England and Aragon into our orbit for the first time in centuries. Our alliances were strong, and we even extended our reach to the territory of Suzdal with a marriage alliance with that cold northern land.

In December of that year the Comneni in Trabzon declared war on Dulkadir. Genoa honored her alliance with Trabzon, no doubt hoping to gain commercial advantage and access to the gold fields of Armenia. Ak Koyunlu and the Golden Horde came to the aid of Dulkadir – war was coming to the doorstep of the Empire. Karaman and Teke (the remnants of the Ghaznids and Danishmend Turks) declared war on Dulkadir that month, which brought Ak Koyunlu and the Golden Horde into another war in support of Dulkadir. The two Emperors met in January in Constantinople, to decide assess the situation in Anatolia. John and Konstantinos decided that with the entire region in flames it was the perfect time to strike and destroy the Ottoman Turks – and so the Third Ottoman War began.

Konstantinos moved the army directly into the province of Anatolia. Our allies Moldova and Wallachia joined the war, but sent no troops; Hungary dishonored the alliance and left. But within a month, the Roman and Moldovan ambassadors in Pest was able to bring the Hungarians back into the alliance and war.

The Ottomans foolishly moved their army into Angora, opening the way for Konstantinos to initiate a siege of the Turk’s capital. Realizing their huge error, they attempted to break the siege, but were repulsed twice with huge loses. By October, Murad II was defeated and captured. He was brought to Constantinople and paraded, manacled in golden chains, from the Golden Gate to the Hippodrome. The Ottoman lands were absorbed into the Empire, and Murad sent to live on an island in the middle of the Marmara (Romans are not barbarians, and Murad’s failure to die with his country was a living punishment.)

This was a singularly quiet end to the race that had once caused all of Europe to quake in fear at their approach.

143710ottomansdestroyed4we.jpg

143710empirereborndangereveryw.jpg

In November, one of Murad’s sons managed to raise the flag of rebellion in Angora under the guise of a heretic movement – John raised troops in the City and sent them to deal with the rebellion.

Konstantinos advised his brother that Teke was ripe for the taking. All her troops were far to the East attacking Dulkadir. He agreed, and Konstantinos launched a lightning attack into Antalya. Karaman, the ally of the Ghaznids, was deep in the war with Dulkadir, the Golden Horde and Ak Koyunlu, and dishonored her alliance. This was not the last time the failure of the Turks and Arabs to band together would yield signal benefit to the Romans. War and rebellion were on all sides, but Konstantinos was confident that Rome would prevail.

143801rebellionsandwarinasiami.jpg

Throughout the early years of 1438 we repulsed the increasingly desperate efforts of the Ghaznids to lift the siege on their capital. They even tried to draw us away with an attack on the city of Smyrna, but Konstantinos remained adamant in his refusal to be drawn away.

143802antalyawillsoonbeour4cz.jpg

In March, news arrived from our ambassadors in the west – Venice had joined the Italian alliance headed by the Bishop of Rome. This alliance brought our most determined foe into collusion with the usurper of our religious authority, the Italian puppet state in Athens, the Medici, and the cities of Modena and Siena. John turned his gaze to the West, while Konstantinos continued to look East.

In May of this year, Islam erupted in flames. Sibir, a distant and frozen land, joined the alliance of Dulkadir, Ak Koyunlu and the Golden Horde, and entered the war with Karaman and Teke. This brought the Kaliphate (the dismal remnants of the once powerful Abbasid Kaliphate), the Timurids, the Delhi Sultanate, the Sultanate of Gujurat, and the Khazak Horde into the war. The entire Islamic world seemed to be falling into war.

143805wareruptsinmiddleeastgoo.jpg

In 1439, the Comneni proved their absolute mastery of politics. They bribed Ak Koyunlu to offer peace with many crates of gold, and received gold from the Golden Horde to offer peace! They continued the war with Karaman, now completely unfettered by Karaman’s erstwhile allies.

In March, the most astonishing letter arrived from the Bishop of Rome.

John VIII of Byzantium:

Your grandfather, John V Palaeologus, offered us submission and conversion as the price for our aid against the Turk. We accepted his bent knee and bowed head, and provided the aid of the West. With our aid you have now triumphed against the Turk.

We now exercise our claim on Byzantium, and declare you our vassal and offer you conversion to the one True and Catholic Faith. We command you to adjure your heresy, strip the Bishop of Constantinople of his titles, rights and privileges, and return to full fellowship in Truth. Our Legate has full authority to bring you back to Truth, and to take possession of all those properties and rights that fall to us as your spiritual father.

If you fail to heed and obey, you and your kingdom will be anathema, and all the nations of the west will rise up to strike you down with our blessing.

Eugene IV, Bishop of Rome and Vicar of God

John VIII flew into a frenzy, itself a remarkable event from a calm, commanding and caring Emperor. He courtiers saved the Papal Legate from bodily harm in the throne room itself by rushing him out of the room. The Legate was asked (commanded) to remain in the Imperial Palace while the Emperor sent for Konstantinos. Konstantinos returned bearing the news of the surrender and annexation of Antalya. The last Ghaznid Emir was paraded through the city in the same manner as Murad II, and exiled to a small island in the Aegean.

The Emperors believed could clearly see the hand of the Venetians behind this letter. Thehe Bishop of Rome (as the entire Empire called this usurper of the spiritual and temporal rights of the Emperor) was far too weak to impose his will. His secular power was restricted to Rome and the poor heel of Italy, and our political and marriage alliances bound us to the most powerful western kingdoms. But the Venetians coveted not only the wealth of the trade passing through Constantinople and the lands of the Empire; they coveted the very land of the Empire.

The Fourth Crusade was still a reality for them, as it was for us. But while for us it was a mark of the duplicity of the west, and of a defeat every Emperor was determined to redeem, for the Venetians it was seen as a brilliant political, military and commercial success. Their Aegean and Ionian islands were the evidence of this, even in that time. And so the Emperors decided to pardon the Bishop of Rome – he was a man manipulated by the most devious race known to man or God.n And the determined to punish the true culprit.

The Emperors decided on the most severe retaliation they could imagine. They banned Venetian merchants from the entire Empire, seized the contents of the Venetian storehouses in Galata and other cities, and expelled all Venetians citizens from all the lands controlled by Rome. The Venetian ambassador was the last to leave; he left in the company of the Papal Legate. The response from the Emperors was simple:

Heretic Bishop of Rome:

You claim for yourself that which is ours, namely Rome and Roman power

You allow yourself to be sullied with the trappings of Imperial power, which you are not worthy to exercise

You allow yourself to become the plaything of the Venetians, and the facilitator of their greed and rapaciousness, which ill suits any man you claims to follow in the footsteps of Christ

We depose you from your lofty usurped seat; we are the true inheritors of Rome and Roman might

Prepare yourself to meet our might and power

Emperor John VIII Palaeologus
Emperor Konstantinos XI Palaeologus Dragash

1439 ended with the Empire successful against the Turks while Islam burst into war and self-destruction. In the West friends and allies descended into war while dangerous enemies rose to challenge the Empire.

143908viewofthewesternwar3hv.jpg

I'm curious why you bothered to call your allies for the last war against the Ottomans. It seems to me that your alliance call carried only risk with no benefit. I am wondering about this because otherwise John and Konstantin's diplomacy appears faultless. ;) I would be wary, though, of all the marriage alliances because sooner or later you get caught with either dishonoring your alliance or a big stab hit from breaking 2 or 3 marriages. Still, the thought of a grand tournament outside Paris involving both French and Byzantines was a nice touch. :)

With the Ottomans gone (but care is needed because they can arise from revolt from any Turkish province), your number one enemy is Venice. They must pay. Time to use those nice CB claims.

That was a long, long update! There were several times that I thought I surely had reached the end of your post, only to be mistaken. This is, of course, no bad thing. :)

There were several parts that I really liked. As before, you write a mean diplomatic letter, both for the Pope (sorry, Bishop of Rome) and the Emperor. I was also impressed with how you managed to expand a couple of simple game events (royal marriages with Western European kingdoms) into a description that could have easily been a post by itself. From what I know of diplomacy in that era (which is admittedly very little) it felt very realistic.
And then finally that throwaway comment after the exile of Murad:
(Romans are not barbarians, and Murad’s failure to die with his country was a living punishment.)
Such matter-of-fact coldheartedness and arrogance! Again, it just sounds right for God's appointed Regent, the Emperor of the Romans.

So, well done. I'm enjoying myself. :)

Nice history. All the power of civilization against the hordes of chaos and doom. Let's hope in the end, all these usurpers in the West, born from the ashes Goths, Vandals and alike left after the old Rome vanished from history, realized who is the master.

J. Passepartout: You should never trust the greedy Venetians! They always use you, abuse you and then discard you when they're through! Completely disreputable lot! The poor foolish Bishop of Rome has a lot to learn about human behavior! :D

jwolf: I think the Emperors called on their allies for two reasons -- (1) they wanted their good friends and relatives to not feel left out of the fun, and since Konstantinos was a very good military leader (and co-Emperor), they weren't worried about someone coming along and stealing the siege, and (2) the bureaucracy was still sort of new (being the newly reborn Roman Empire and all) and so some poor low-level schmuk just pulled out the manual and read "When a war is declared, summon the allies!". And so he sent the letters off...poor sod, he had a fright when Hungary declined to join and he was suddenly the cause of the disintegration of the alliance! It was probably late at night or something... :rofl:

Stuyvesant:I'm going to have to find a more efficient way of capturing these memoirs, or it will take me a calendar year in the real world to get to 1820! :( And I'm committed to having a fantastic Granada game again -- and that's going to take some time and effort. When I was writing this last night, I couldn't figure out how to stop! But thanks for not being bored -- that's a good sign, I think...

Folc de Cardona: Only time will tell if Rome is able to reassert herself over all those remnants of the Goths, Vandals, etc. Truly a bad lot -- very uppity! Not like the good, stoic, upstanding Romans, that's for sure!

I hope to have an update this weekend -- lots of interesting things are going on in the world of Roman Revival!