• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Replies:

Patukov - And the mystery would only be solved in the next update
Hax - Thanks!
KcindX - Russia is definitely regaining her strength lost during the "Lost Decade"(the years between 1991 and 1999). And if you're wondering about Putin's plans for the Philippines, then I suggest you look at the last sentence of the 2nd paragraph. I highlighted them for you.
By the time 2003 gave way to 2004, he had also began focusing in Asia and Africa as well, sending UN peacekeepers out into places like the Darfur region of Sudan, East Timor, and other trouble spots near or in Muslim countries that could potentially give support to terrorists on the Northern Caucasus. All the while, the Russians began influencing the Philippine Government to cede some oil concessions in the Sulu Sea and the East Palawan Basin to Russian oil companies like Gazprom and Rosneft, but all were turned down by the Philippine Government, as they told them that only Philippine citizens and companies could own most of the assets inside the country. President Putin was chagrined at this developement, but he eventually kept cool of himself, knowing that in time, the Filipinos would submit to Russian interests, and the Philippines, with its warm-water ports, would be a part of his burgeoning empire.
CylonAndrew - I know about the ongoing crisis in Chechnya and its seriousness, but rest assured, Putin is keeping the situation on his mind. In fact, he is trying to eliminate threats that he sees would make it worse.

I think the Philippines would make a very nice addition to the Empire.

I think that President Putin is thinking the same way too.

Also, I'm writing this bi-weekly update of this AAR, and it's going to talk about the events that would lead to the Proclamation of the New Russian Empire.

This is the moment we've all been waiting for. (Please note that this may be extemely longer than my other updates)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter II: Prishlo Vremya Rayz Do! (2005)

During the previous four years of Vladimir Putin's tenure as President, Russia had to get along with the major powers of the time, the United States, and the People's Republic of China. But in 2005, as the Russian Federation was gaining power, other nations across the world, especially those around its borders, began to take notice. Immediately after protests began to die down in the Ukraine, President Yanukovych began consulting with Russian diplomats across Ukraine, publicly talking about the need to "help each other" and their "collective history", but secretly the Ukrainian President also began talking about a possible alliance with Russia, that would eventually evolve to a full political confederation.

Finally on New Year's Day 2005, Viktor Yanukovych, President of the Republic of the Ukraine, presented President Putin with an offer he couldn't possibly refuse. He offered the President the entire Ukraine as part of a new federation of states under Moscow's control. President Putin was delighted to see that Ukraine was beginning to see itself as more of an inseperable part of Russia.

The deal would finally be formalized and made public in 3 January, 2005. As the blue-and-yellow Ukrainian bicolor was lowered and the Russian tricolor raised in Maidan Nezalezhnosti(Independence Square in Ukrainian), President Putin felt that with this act of annexation, the rest of its neighbors could follow the Ukraine's lead and join with Russia.

Maidan_Nezalezhnosti_%28Kiev%29.jpg

The Independence Square of Kiev (now renamed Putin Square), the site of the major ceremonies regarding the annexation of the Ukraine

screensave33.png

The former Republic of the Ukraine, now a part of the Russian Federation

And as winter began to thaw into spring, even more good news followed. As the Ukrainian government structures were subsumed into Russia's, the leaders of Kazakhstan, along with President Nursultan Nazarbayev, began discussing plans to bring their nation into the Federation. It only took a month before President Putin was given notice. A referendum that was hastily scheduled on 25 March finally sealed Kazakhstan's fate, and Russian troops were allowed to finally declare the country as a part of the rapidly expanding Federation. The people then overwhelmingly supported the annexation by a 99% margin.

screensave36.png

The Act of Annexation and its subsequent overwhelming approval by the electorate, led to the annexation of the worl's largest landlocked country into the Russian Federation

And finally, news arrived in the Polish Foreign Ministry, and eventually to the rest of thr world, that Belarus had became the next country to fall to Russia's expanding union. For almost the past 10 years, Aleksandr Lukashenko had ruled his country with an iron hand and a strong fist, and had also gained the ire of his Western neighbors in Europe, even to the point of being called "Europe's Last Dictator". Now, with Russia's annexation of the nation, Poland, along with most of Eastern Europe fears that Russia would turn on them next.

screensave38.png

With another Act of Annexation, Belarus has joined the Russian Federation. According to the wishes of former President Lukashenko, the 6 oblasts of Belarus were kept into place, with the addition of the federal city of Minsk.

screensave39.png

With the last of the Acts of Annexation, the Russian Federation now had swallowed 3 out of the 14 nations besides Russia itself that comprised the former Soviet Union

But in Russia, it is a sign of very good things to come, and Putin now felt that the time had now came to make a huge announcement, an announcement that would bring about a rebirth of an Empire.

It began in a solemn and celebratory time for Russia, when it was celebrating the end of the Great Patriotic War and its victory over Nazi Germany. As President Putin finally walked into the podium to give out his speech, he thought of the achievements the Russian Federation had made under his administration and his plans for the future.

Finally, Vladimir Putin, President of the Russian Federation gave his sppech.​

vladimirputin9may20024.jpg

President Putin about to make his speech in Red Square on 9 May, 2005
Dear citizens of the Russian Federation,

Distinguished guests,

Comrade soldiers and sailors, sergeants, sergeant-majors and warrant officers,

Comrade officers, generals and admirals,

I congratulate you on this, the sixtieth anniversary of our great victory! I congratulate you on this celebration of peace and triumph of justice, this day that marks the victory of good over evil and of freedom over tyranny.

Sixty years have now passed. But every year on May 9 the memory of the war appeals to our reason, committing us to great responsibility and making us realise with more acuteness just how close the world came at that time to plunging into an irreversible abyss. On this day we see more clearly just what monstrous consequences violence, racial intolerance, genocide and outrage committed against people could have had.

We will never forget that these enormities bring people nothing but fear, humiliation and death.

We will always honour all those who fought on the frontlines and those who selflessly toiled in the rear.

We will mourn the dead and pay them the debt of gratitude of those who they saved.

The Second World War caught up 61 countries and almost 80 percent of the Earth’s population in its inferno. This hurricane of fire blazed a trail of destruction not only across Europe but also across Asia and Africa. It reached all the way to Novaya Zemlya and Alaska, to the frontiers of Egypt and Australia.

But the most ruthless and decisive events -- the events that determined the drama and the outcome of this inhuman war -- unfolded on the territory of the Soviet Union. The Nazis counted on rapid enslavement of our people. Their intention was to destroy our country.

Their plans failed. First, the Soviet army halted the Nazi advance outside Moscow. Then, over the next three years, not only did they hold the enemy in check but were able to drive it back, back into its own lair.

The battles of Moscow and Stalingrad, the courage of besieged Leningrad and the successes at Kursk and on the Dnieper decided the outcome of World War II. Through the liberation of Europe and the battle for Berlin the Red Army brought the war to its victorious conclusion.

Dear friends,

Today also marks a new day for Russia and the whole world.

After the events of 1991, we slowly rose to reclaim our status as a Great Power once more. We began solidifying our economic might across the world, and saw the begining of a new superpower in the eyes of many. And we saw territories once belonging to the czars and the Soviet Union return to the Motherland once more.

A few months ago, we had annexed the Republic of the Ukraine.

In March of this year, our great troops declared the annexation of Kazakhstan.

And in last month, President Lukashenko declared the Belarussian Republic annexed into the Federation.

We have therefore expanded our nation to become a giant in the eyes of the world. The facts of the past few months speak for themselves.

The era of the Russian Federation ends. The era of the Russian Empire begins.

We must therefore call the peoples of the nations that once were part of the old Empire to join the Motherland, and to fly our banner in the face of tyranny and oppresion, just as we had over 60 years ago.

Dear citizens of the Empire,

Distinguished guests,

May 9 was and always will be a sacred day for our country, a celebration that not only inspires and elevates us but also fills our hearts with a most complex mix of feelings – joy and sorrow, sympathy and nobility.

It is a celebration that inspires us to the most lofty moral acts and gives us the opportunity once again to bow down before those who gave us freedom, the freedom to live, work, feel joy, create, and understand each other.

Victory Day is our closest, sincerest and most truly national holiday.

For the peoples of the former Soviet Union it will always be the day celebrating the great feats they achieved together.

And for the countries of Europe and the entire planet it marks the day when the world was saved.

And now, it is a day that would be marked forever in the history of civilized nations. Men will forever say "This is the day the Russian Empire rose again."

Our fathers and grandfathers were willing to lay down their lives for the honour and freedom of their country. They were united and they defended their Motherland.

Now, their sons and daugthers shall be united in their stuggle to fight for their Empire.

I bow low today before all veterans of the Great Patriotic War and I wish them a long and happy life.

Glory to the victorious soldiers of the Great Patriotic War and the Second World War!

To the Victory Day!

Glory to the New Russian Empire!

To our Motherland!

Hurrah!

Crowds cheered after President Putin finished, scores more waved flags across the Moscow River. Moscow itself was now a sea of white, blue, and red, with everyone across Russia, from Kaliningrad to Anadyr shedding a tear of joy.

After 14 years of collapse and reconstruction, the Russian Empire was reborn.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quite an update, eh?

Also about the speech, I just grafted Putin's speech in Red Square in the same date in RL with the Proclamation of the Russian Empire.

KcindX - I don't think President Putin is going overboard with declaring himself Czar Vladimir Putin I, since it makes the rest of Europe think that Putin is the modern-day version of Napoleon. Like I said before, even Putin isn't crazy to declare himself himself as czar because he wants the Russian Empire to be ruled under a semi-federal republic.

Last edited:
Did you mod IC cost? I remeber building IC being a really bad investment in MDS

I did, so that it won't hurt me and my IC a lot. Plus I decreased that to a month's construction time, leading to the massive super-industrialization in 2 easy years.

But, Russia is grosely underpowered in MDS

I actually think so, since Russia has only a few IC, which grossly underestimates Russia's real economic might. Someone should tell the MDS team that.

The only thing I can complain about is that I don't think that Putin would have used the word anexation since it has a bad conotation. He would probably say integration, or reintegration. Similary when some nation joins EU, they are not anexed, but "integrated".

Long live the EMPIRE!

Replies:

4th Dimension - I think that while President Putin may be using somewhat of a bad connotation when he used "annex" in his speeches, I think he was trying to challenge the West and China into acting against Russia's interests, because he knows Russia will soon be ready to make them tremble in fear.
Hax - Thanks! You're always the greatest supporter.
Zeldar155 - Soon all of the former Soviet Union and the old Russian Empire will soon be part of the Third Empire, and more (see my reply to KcindX at post #41 for what I'm suggesting)

This next update should focus on the status of the Russian Empire as it stands in 2005.

If Russian Empire was restored and there is no Tsar, Putin should be a regent then. Republics don't have monarchs and monarchies don't have presidents. If Putin won't bring back the Tsar (to use him as popular figurehead), he is probably being the regent of Russian Empire (Tsar can't come back to throne for some reason). Kingdoms without a king were quite common in modern history also, for example Kingdom of Hungary under Horthy (he was a regent), Kingdom of Yugoslavia (lead by regency council, presided by brother of king Alexander I) and Kingdom of Spain under regency of Franco (1947–1975). Those regents were playing the role of real head of states and were not some powerless nominal leaders. I think that such status would suit the modern Russian Empire too.

If Russian Empire was restored and there is no Tsar, Putin should be a regent then. Republics don't have monarchs and monarchies don't have presidents. If Putin won't bring back the Tsar (to use him as popular figurehead), he is probably being the regent of Russian Empire (Tsar can't come back to throne for some reason). Kingdoms without a king were quite common in modern history also, for example Kingdom of Hungary under Horthy (he was a regent), Kingdom of Yugoslavia (lead by regency council, presided by brother of king Alexander I) and Kingdom of Spain under regency of Franco (1947–1975). Those regents were playing the role of real head of states and were not some powerless nominal leaders. I think that such status would suit the modern Russian Empire too.

I kind of like your idea, since if the Czar can't be on the throne because Putin doesn't like him (the official reason would be that the Czar is constitutionaly incapable of acsending to the throne), then Putin could serve as a Regent of the Russian Empire(the Regent would be elected by the people, however). However, I'm planning to make a constititional change that makes all of this possible around 2007(right now, I'm at the end of 2006), so the constitution of 1991-92 is still in effect before then.

This sounds extremely interesting. Very nice job so far.

Thanks!

Also, new update will focus on both the overview of the Russian Empire and its next steps to regaining its glory.

And here's the Overview(rather short)
----------------------------------------------------------

Intermezzo I: The Overview of the Russian Empire

Official Name: Russian Empire (Российская Империя/Rossiyskaya Imperiya)
Short Name: Russia(Россия/Rossiya)

250px-Private_Flag_of_Russia_%281914–1917%29.svg.png
150px-Coat_of_Arms_of_Russian_Empire.svg.png

The Flag and Coat of Arms of the Russian Empire

Anthem: Gosudarsvenny Gimn Rossiyskoye Imperii[1]
[video=youtube;BmfYRuV_EYM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmfYRuV_EYM[/video]

Capital city: Moscow

Total Area: 20,603,800 sq. km.

Total Population: 216,331,972

Official Language: Russian

Currency: Russian Imperial Ruble

High-Ranking Officals of the Russian Empire(as of the 2004 elections)

President: Vladimir Putin
putin.jpg

Prime Minister: Mikhail Fradkov
Mikhail_Fradkov_%28Bras%C3%ADlia%2C_04_April_2006%  29.jpeg

Foreign Minister: Sergey Lavrov[2]
russiaforeigminiSergeyLavrovAP%5B1%5D.jpg

Defense Minister: Anatoliy Serdyukov[3]
anatoly-serdyukov_3-t.jpg

Territorial Claims of the Russian Empire

The Russian Empire claims the following pieces for the nation . . .

- The Entirety of Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Uzbekistan, the Kyrghiz Republic, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Finland
-The State of Alaska within the United States of America
-The territory of Turkey ceded after the Treaty of Kars (not vigorously enforced)
-all of Poland that existed between WWI and the GPW, with the remaining territory of post-GPW Poland (except Southern East Prussia) returned to the Federal Republic of Germany
-Some portions of far eastern Finnmark in northern Norway(not vigorously enforced)​

mapviv.png

The Map showing the Russian Empire's territorial claims (The Finnmark portions and Treaty of Kars lands not shown)[4]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[1]The anthem provided was the Olympic Version used during the 2004 Games in Athens. As it occured before the Empire was proclaimed, the old Russian flag is shown in the video.
[2] Sergey Lavrov was appointed after outgoing Foreign Minister Garry Kasparov resigned. Kasparov himself would return to being a chess champion within the Empire.
[3] Techincally(at least in the game), Sergey Ivanov is still Defense Minister, but I feel that Serdyukov would be much better for the updating and rearming of the Russian Imperial Armed Forces
[4] Forgot to include Gdansk in the map. My bad!

And so concludes the Overview.

Last edited:
Interesting, I'm surprised you included Alaska in the claims. But it makes sense that President Putin would want back all of the former Russian Empire.