• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I love the changes to land combat that have been made for revolutions. But what of naval combat. Specifically will naval units have ranges in their area of operation? For example, as Japan, will I be able to send my Subs to the English channel and not worry about re-arming or refueling? Or will range be limited by presence of ports and/or coaling stations?

Doing a WC with a minor should be possible, based on the skill of the player. However, if it is accomplished by taking advantages of loopholes, then the correct solution is to fix the loopholes, since by definition they are "problematic" and should not exist in the first place.

Sovereign said:
No argument from me that it should be difficult, I just really hope that it's still possible.
Me too. The nice thing about the Paradox games is that there are many difficulty levels, not just easy/normal/hard/very hard. Conquering Europe with Switzerland in Normal is much, much more difficult than kicking Argentina with Brazil in very hard.

So, the absolutely highest difficulty level is WC with a tiny nation. So naturally, this is only for those who mastered the game. So if it would be easy to WC with a small country, the game would simply be too easy. And that's something I'd to see happen.

And the understatement of the year award goes to...
Well, it has been tried. The conquests of Alexander, the Roman Empire, the Mongol Empire and the British Empire have all been serious attempts to conquer the world. If those empires had rulers with lifespans of centuries, forsight into the future and a forum to discuss strategy with other similar creatures, well... :)

If there is a way to do a WC without exploiting the loopholes, the system is broken, quite frankly. Even if you are Russia or the USA, let alone Peru. Thankfully, I don't think that there is a way to do a legitimate WC entirely without SOME exploits at least even now.

Alexander Seil said:
If there is a way to do a WC without exploiting the loopholes, the system is broken, quite frankly. Even if you are Russia or the USA, let alone Peru. Thankfully, I don't think that there is a way to do a legitimate WC entirely without SOME exploits at least even now.
I strongly agree here
It should be possible for a very good and smart player to turn Peru into the dominating power of south America.Heck maybe even middle America and the Carribean but not more.At this point the World would crush this country like a bug.The Mongol times are realy over at the Victorian era.

KaiserChicken said:
Excellent update! I'm waiting for new info on the economic system :)
See here. I don't imagine we are going to get any more info on the economy than that before Revolutions comes out.

Graf Zeppelin said:
I strongly agree here
It should be possible for a very good and smart player to turn Peru into the dominating power of south America.Heck maybe even middle America and the Carribean but not more.At this point the World would crush this country like a bug.The Mongol times are realy over at the Victorian era.

Its not often I reply but I'm so sick of people wanting Vic to be a pure historical sim. If you want a pure historical sim watch history channel. They offer great programming and the end result of events is ALWAYS historical. But for a game there needs to be opportunity for ahistorical things to happen.

In fact every game we play of vic should have lots of ahistorical outcomes. A great deal fo history is based on dumb luck from a timeley assasination to a poorly timed revolt.

If I want to take Spain or Portugal and turn them into world powers then I should be able to do that. Now it should be hard, very hard in fact. But it MUST be possible or we're just reading a 3rd grade history book.

So what does wanting AI countries to behave more realistically when playing a country that doesn't affect that sphere (like say Ethiopia) have anything to do with the ability of the human player to achieve things or change history in the game?

There is a great difference between being able to produce ahistorical outcomes and world conquest. Ahistorical outcomes would be thing as Germany not forming, France conquering Spain, etc. World conquest is not only ahistorical it is unrealistic. We have yet to see a power capable of doing so.

One thing's for sure, annexing China will no longer fuel the armies of wc unless you have a Full Citizenship regime in power, and many of them will be Pacifist or Anti-Military... I think the upside of increased difficulty for small countries to build huge empires is that it'll be more dificult for the UK to maintain it's empire when every war it fights will now cost it's own national POPs, the soldiers in the Indian nations probably won't be enough for it to go around slapping-down other Great Powers (Russia, France, the US even) like before. In my opinion, that's a good thing. It means 'imperial overstretch' is now modelled even better and deeper then before. A big empire may now become a big flobby targets for sleeker meaner hungrier states on the ascendency.

I think closing off exploits and loop-holes, but still (for the skilled player) being able to make a superpower out of Annam is the ideal, and I'd consider it an even more worthy challenge now, with these restrictions, whoever can prove a world conquest still can be done in Revolutrions using an independant or unciv nation with a starting population of under a million or so, can be considered the true Guru-Ceaser of the game in my opinion.

It is a nice trade-off really, possibilities are closed down or made harder for the ridiculously ambitious little-guy, but at the same time, for the big players as well. Meaning much more dynamic games where you really will be scrambling for those later military techs right to the very end. Obviously all that European over-fortification that used to happen late-game is now no longer going to get in the way of a good late-game war either.

eh, a bit off topic here, but is there a revision planned of the peace negotiation algorithm in Victoria revolutions ? :)

to be more specific to have less scattered provinces after peace has been concluded ? F.e. in my current Victoria game as Russia I've seen the Britisch take 3 different French provinces during one war - one in the North of France, one in the West of France and one in the South of France...

it would be nice to see that the AI gives priority to transfer provinces within the same state or a state as a whole ...

Spruce said:
eh, a bit off topic here, but is there a revision planned of the peace negotiation algorithm in Victoria revolutions ? :)

to be more specific to have less scattered provinces after peace has been concluded ? F.e. in my current Victoria game as Russia I've seen the Britisch take 3 different French provinces during one war - one in the North of France, one in the West of France and one in the South of France...

it would be nice to see that the AI gives priority to transfer provinces within the same state or a state as a whole ...

I second that. A new peace requests interface would be cool too, maybe finally implementing the province map selection option.

In any case Johan promised to give us some details on diplomacy changes soon...

Sovereign said:
knul said:
If it's no longer possible to make a tiny nation big or even huge by the end of the game, it means Victoria is now a very different game indeed./

No argument from me that it should be difficult, I just really hope that it's still possible.

I sure hope it is not.

Imagine a game were you come onto he boards and tell everybody how you successfully conquered all of europe as prussia!! People would bow and wonder how you managed to conquer all of europe and stabilise the borders. That would be an awsome game were conquest realy meant something.

Today:
-I conquerd 75% of the world!!! I am so happy!! I must be the master of the universe who succeded with something no one in history has done before!!

- Only 75% of the world?? Ha ha, you are a looser, anything below 100% of the world is just plain bad. And as Prussia!!! Come on, you basicaly had won the world when you pushed the start game button...

knul said:
Well, it has been tried. The conquests of Alexander, the Roman Empire, the Mongol Empire and the British Empire have all been serious attempts to conquer the world. If those empires had rulers with lifespans of centuries, forsight into the future and a forum to discuss strategy with other similar creatures, well... :)
And the ability to try again...

Kung Karl said:
Sovereign said:
knul said:
I sure hope it is not.

Imagine a game were you come onto he boards and tell everybody how you successfully conquered all of europe as prussia!! People would bow and wonder how you managed to conquer all of europe and stabilise the borders. That would be an awsome game were conquest realy meant something.

Today:
-I conquerd 75% of the world!!! I am so happy!! I must be the master of the universe who succeded with something no one in history has done before!!

- Only 75% of the world?? Ha ha, you are a looser, anything below 100% of the world is just plain bad. And as Prussia!!! Come on, you basicaly had won the world when you pushed the start game button...
My hero :)
Thats exactly what i think
Besides that its not about a strict historical sim its about a little realism
A man cannot jump to the moon and Tibet cant conquer the World its that simple

Kung Karl said:
Sovereign said:
knul said:
I sure hope it is not.

Today:

Hm, well when you put it like that, I certainly see your point...

Now I don't know what to think.:(

It is no longer possible to convert pops that are not state culture...? Considering the loss rates I have and the size of your normal soldier pop that will mean that there won't be any soldier pops of non-state cultures left late in the game...