• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes, Director, you are so right about Adams. And what is up, CatKnight with Madison and Jefferson of all people proposing a strong federal government that controls things tightly. Either there must be a big twist coming or you've just decided to attempt to rehabilitate Jefferson/Madison's reputation. As a historian, I find little with Jefferson to make me happy (don't get me started or we'll stray far away off topic), so you having Jefferson direct Madison to make such a proposal actually is interesting.

Good update. :eek:

Alhazen: Cat is rather familiar..Al..but I guess we can try it. ;) Thanks for the compliments! As for the crap hitting the fan...well, it already is I think. And it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better. A few people are asking where our 'hero' Heyward has gone off too...they may not care for the answer.

It does get better though. I think. Hm..

J. Passepartout: What do you think this is, a democracy??? :D

Draco Rexus: Well, Andre has another problem first. I'm not sure how he's going to get out of this. Maybe he'll become a western explorer to get away from everyone, then Coz could reference him in his story. ;)

jwolf: Good guess. You're right, Exeter killed Rutledge.

coz1: Well, Andrews wasn't bought so much as intimidated, but you're right even the admission weakens him. He's about to have another problem - he forgot something very important about Ethan Allen.

Director: Well, don't tell Carlec but I made a mistake. I was indeed thinking of the Alien and Sedition Act of 1798, but I wasn't thinking clearly and switched Adams' and Jefferson's roles in my mind. That's alright though, I like the irony. Further, the AAR Adams seems to have set himself up as the champion of liberty so I can see him being very much against this, especially since Jefferson's involved. Now that the Rutledges are out of Congress he needs a new chew toy.

Personally I like Franklin's quote, don't let the naysayers get you. I'll deal with them right now. ;)

Judas Maccabeus: Hmm...Black would definitely want to recruit you! :D Suffice to say he's not a libertarian either. Incidentally if Jefferson's actions in 1798 get you, then remember their roles reverse by the War of 1812. There its Adams speaking against the government and in favor of states' rights, to the extent of trying to convince New England to secede, and Jefferson trying to put him down.

The only problem I see with your analysis about Andre is what happens if all the Congress WAS eliminated. :eek:

Machiavellian: Well, you'll get one of your wishes :)

carlec: Mm...again, I have no real problem with Jefferson's rep. (I don't know enough about Madison to judge.) I think the US would be a darker place if the Alien and Sedition Act had been allowed to stand.

Of course as you say, here it's reversed and though it wasn't intentional I think we'll keep it. I could very easily see 'this' Jefferson protecting his power base. If confronted with what he wrote earlier, he'd probably reply that it's easier to be idealistic when you aren't trying to hold together a country with any number of powerful external and internal enemies. As Director noted, having strong enemies on your border changes the dynamics. This chapter changes them further. :D

-= 127 =-

November 1783
Pennsylvania

The stench struck him even before they passed through the foot thick doors reinforced with bars of steel. Urine and waste, sweat and unwashed bodies, and fear. Yes, Captain Andre could smell the fear as two guards led him through the prison courtyard. Stone walls rose around him, cold and grey, promising no comfort whatsoever. The guards seemed immune to the despair that hung in the air and rested on his shoulders like a solid weight. They weren't, of course. Andre had seen a few jails in London, and had a good idea what dealing with and inflicting this kind of misery could do to a soul.

"In here," one of the guards growled, and they entered the prison itself. The corridor was narrow and unlit, and the spy could feel the walls closing in on him. A table by the door sported a handful of lamps. The other guard grabbed one of these and lit it. Andre didn't think he'd ever been more grateful in his life.

"Is it far?" he asked.

The first guard grunted something that could have meant anything. They walked down another passage, past several cells where prisoners, dazzled by the sudden light, shielded their eyes. Another reinforced door, and a last locked and barred door. "In there."

"Very well." Andre sniffed. "Leave us."

"I think not."

"Then wait beyond the door. He's not going anywhere. I don't have a key, I couldn't let him out if I wanted to."

"I'm staying," the guard snarled. He turned to his associate. "You can go back. Leave the lamp."

The other guard puzzled how to get back without light, but it hadn't been a request. "Aye." He rested the lamp on the ground and left uncertainly.

Andre frowned at the older guard. Still, his presence signified nothing. "Allen!"

Movement from behind the door. "I thought I smelled something foul, Andrews."

The spy picked up the lamp and looked through the steel bars. Allen stood in the middle of his cramped room, chained to a heavy ball. Bruises, cuts and burns covered his face, arms and bare chest. "I see you're being treated well."

"Aye, your interrogators are quite thorough." Congress was convinced Allen was part of some vast insurgency and tried to find out his accomplices by various means. After three weeks they'd finally given up.

"I come with a message. Give up your men, and you can live in exile." Andre folded his arms.

"Your interrogators tried that. I didn't believe them. I don't believe you." Allen tried to approach, but the chain stopped him. "I have a message as well. You're going to die."

"We don't have to do this. Pick a place: Canada, Ireland, Britain...."

"My home is Vermont."

"That's quite impossible."

"Tell me, does a coward bleed red when he dies, or yellow like his soul?"

"I don't think you will have a chance to find out," Andre replied stiffly.

The Green Mountain leader grinned, revealing several broken teeth. "You may murder me, but ten will rise in my place. Do you really think this will change anything? Tomorrow I shall be a martyr, and there will be no place you can go, no place you can hide where we won't find you."

"Let's go," the guard rumbled.

Andre ignored him. "You speak well for a man behind a locked door feasting on rats."

"I have nothing to lose, Andrews. What do you have to lose? We'll find out you know. We know you're not from Bennington, and when we find out where you're from we'll destroy you. First your home, then your wife, then your children. Or maybe we'll reverse that." Allen grinned coldly.

"No wife, no children."

"And then we'll chop your carcass into bite-sized bits and feed you to the stray dogs and cats."

"I think I shall enjoy watching you dance tomorrow." Andre turned and left, Ethan Allen's laughter echoing in his ears.

--------------
December 1783

James Madison, representing Virginia, stood in Congress and somberly surveyed his companions. He didn't know many of them well, and didn't even like a few, but this was clearly bigger than any of them. "Gentlemen, I don't need to tell you what happened yesterday." Grave nods. "We can only assume our earlier theory was correct, and there is a conspiracy in place to destroy Congress and therefore the United States."

"You're reaching, Mister Madison," Adams replied. "Such fearmongering..."

"The chair continues to recognize Virgnia," Jefferson snapped. The two glared.

Madison coughed. "We were unable to determine details of this conspiracy, but it is obviously powerful and far reaching. Gentlemen, I realize you do not like hearing this, but we must take decisive action now before our entire nation devolves into anarchy."

"Anarchy?" William Ellery rose. "Sir, a few protests hardly counts as anarchy."

"Quite right!" Adams agreed.

"We do not know how far reaching this insurrection is," Madison replied. "What will happen next? One of us perhaps? Or perhaps one of the governors? Perhaps your governor? A simple protest now, Mister Ellery, can easily devolve."

"And I can easily imagine Parliament having this discussion twelve or thirteen years ago," Adams snapped. "Boston had one of these simple protests in the year seventy, and the British overreacted and slaughtered innocents. This is what you propose, sir, an overreaction."

"Order!" Jefferson barked, banging his gavel.

"The only one being disorderly is you," Adams growled. "Mister Madison's proposal is extreme. It will be debated."

"Mister Adams...."

"It's alright, Mister President." Madison turned to the Massachusetts delegate. "I can not speak for the incident in Boston. I can clearly speak for what is happening in Philadelphia, today."

John Jay, representing New York, stood. "I have to concur with Mister Madison."

"John!" Adams protested.

"This insurrection has secured a foothold in the Green Mountains. We've tried to warn you about this for years, but only now do we see the extent of their perfidy. Gentlemen, we must crush this before it spreads. I don't think any of us take pleasure in these measures, but the security and stability of this nation must be retained."

"He that would give up essential liberties," Adams quoted.

"And thus ensure his wife and children will not have to face the horror of war on their soil is doing them a favor, and securing their freedom," Pennsylvania rose. "As the representatives of our citizens, it is our duty to see to their inalienable rights, yes. Our greater duty is to ensure our people enjoy the safety needed to take advantage of those rights."

"But we don't even know if this insurrection exists!"

"I think we have adequate proof," Madison replied. He turned to Jefferson. "I'd like to vote."

Adams looked around the room, counting votes. He frowned then, gathered his papers and stood.

"And where are you going?" Jefferson demanded.

"I have no wish to be present during this travesty." Adams bowed coldly to the president's table - the office, not the man - and stalked out.
--------------------

John Jay was a large man, the kind who enjoyed good food and good wine. He'd made his living as a lawyer and judge and knew many influential people throughout the northern states. He strode into the hospital, with its curious scent of chemicals and herbs the judge couldn't identify, and spoke briefly with the porter. The porter sent him to a nurse, who in turn led him to a quiet, darkened room.

"He's asleep," she warned softly. "You shouldn't wake him."

"I won't," Jay promised. He walked in, removed his hat and sat by the patient.

Jonathan Andrews a/k/a John Andre was covered with bandages, some pink with blood. Both arms and one of his legs were splinted and some foul smelling poultice had been applied to his bruised ribs. Guards came upon what was officially a savage mugging and blew their whistles, summoning help and hovering over the mauled and hacked congressman until a cart could carry him here.

"Never you mind it," he told Andre softly. "I convinced Congress to act. These Green Mountain boys will be far too busy dealing with us to trouble you further."

congress17834po.jpg

I think Congress should ask Black to come up and do something about these revolts. Black and the Green Mountain Boys can then fight each other to the death, and then we will be rid of two problems, and the remainder can easily be dealt with.

I quote Franklin for one reason: once a liberty is abridged by a government it is never given back. This is true for the same reason that taxes only go up. Governments only work in one direction: tighter control, more restriction and higher budgets. Therefore you as a citizen should never, ever yield to government any right or liberty if you think you will need it in the future.

That said, I'll move on. I'd say, 'Poor Andre!' but I wouldn't mean it. Between Allen and Andrews I'd have a hard time picking a good guy.

Sounds like Congress is headed for a strong central government sooner than in our time line. And the revolts in Vermont don't look good at all; they'll be tough to put down and probably require a standing army.

Hmmmm. Wonder who'll command the federal army? Not a job I'd want.

So they only beat Andre to a bloody pulp? Looks like they wanted to keep him alive so that they could do it all over again. :D There doesn't appear to be many cool heads in congress right now. :(

Joe

The Alien and Sedition acts were only the first in several attempts by Presidents DURING WAR to limit some freedoms. Adams was merely the first, albeit, by being the first, he is the one most often attacked. Everyone conveniently forgets about Polk, Lincoln, Wilson and FDR in their very, very similar laws. As far as what they did, the bigger issue in my mind is as Madison on the floor of the House when he launched his attack on Adams--"if these laws are made perpetual. . . ." Therein IS the danger. But, Adams NEVER planned or attempted to make the laws a forever issue. Plus, everyone also forgets that Adams (in real life) was a member of no party (don't believe what you read) and it was Hamilton's Federalists brothers in Congress who pushed the bill. Adams error, if that at all, was in signing the measure, but somehow, one of the US's most important figures from 1765-1800 gets the blame and the censure. Had Jefferson BEEN President in 1798, he probably would have signed it also. We already know that he basically reversed 180 all of his previous complaints and devious underhanded attacks on Washington and Adams when HE became the President in 1800--by 1803, he too was exhibiting a powerful executive that did what it wished. He pursued an undeclared war on the Barbary Pirates with no permission, he agreed to an incredible sum of money being spent by his representatives in France without asking or getting permission and other things (lets not even mention the Embargo Act fiasco).

Anyway, the real danger is if such restrictions of liberty are allowed to stand. I would add a caveat to what Director wrote--"In most cases liberty is not given back." In every instance of a President restricting liberties due to war or major crisis, the laws were rescinded after the crisis was over. And, at least in the US, at least some taxes have been taken away (few and far between, sadly).

In your story (and I do pray that I have not drifted the thread off topic---I will restrain myself [and have this time]), it was entirely appropriate for John to leave the room. Although you have the two men at odds about a decade early, that feeling of enmity certainly was there from 1794/95--1804 or so.

I'm intrigued though that it seems that you have placed John Jay as a central figure in the attack on the government. Is that a correct read on my part? He was a very loyal Federalist and supporter of Washington, but I'm not certain he would play the traitor card as Arnold did. But maybe I misread.

Keep up the great writing.

I don't see Jay playing the traitor. Rather he seems to be looking out for the state of New York as far as the Vermont question is concerned.

And I did find it ironic to see Adams and Madison on the opposite sides of the RL fight over the alien and sedition acts. I do think the words above by carlec are mostly correct. But it also seemed that Adams did not protest too strongly over the acts that he signed in large part because he was getting nailed by the press, many of them foreigners practicing a great deal of scandalmongering. But given this timeline, I too think it entirely appropriate for Adams to walk out. It's Madison I'm concerned for. Is he playing too much into the theory of being Jefferson's lapdog here? Who can say?

A strong central government is certainly the prize here for America.... but do we want a strong centralized gov't that is oppressive (and hence probably be what Mr. Black wants) or one that is freer (and thus a combination that would suit Mr. Black unwell)? :(

I can see Cat having a field day with the path this plot is going down now! :D

J. Passepartout: Now that's an idea! Sounds vaguely like a tag team wrestling match: Black and Exeter vs. The Green Mountain Boys :rofl:

Director: The government's not only going ore centralized sooner than we'd expect, but probably sooner than they're really ready. The Continental Congress and later the Constitutional convention put limits on federal power in for a reason - granted those limits would cause no small amount of trouble later, but they were worried about what happened if a central authority had too much power. We may just find out.

Storey: Well, the guards chased them away before they could finish Andre off. They wanted to make it hurt. You're right though, they'll be back if they can and Congress is not very serene right now.

carlec: Hmm....I think we're gonna stick to the AAR. :)

As for Adams being at odds with Jefferson early....well let's see: Jefferson's the President of Congress, Washington and now Allen are dead, Arnold's not a traitor, we don't have Georgia but we do have most of Ontario and Saskatchewan. Oh, and there's something unnatural running South Carolina. We left our timeline behind a very long time ago. :D

Coz is closer to the mark on John Jay. New York in this AAR has had a rough go at it: They lost major chunks of territory in the 1773 war. New York gained it back, but not before the British AI decided it REALLY liked the Hudson River valley and repeatedly looted those provinces. I have him focusing on New York's interests, which would be about right considering how decentralized the country was meant to be by the Articles of Confederation.

He was initially against the Sedition Act, but believes (correctly) that Allen's men tried to kill Andre. Given Vermont's long and turbulent history with New York, including Green Mountain Boys raiding New York settlers, Jay believes he could be next - all the more reason to stop this now. Plus, with Andre laid up in the hospital the major obstacle to securing New York's dominance in Vermont is gone. In OUR timeline Washington warned Congress he might need an army to get Vermont under control. In the AAR that's what New York's going to get.

coz1: Again in the AAR, Jefferson's definitely using the 'state' card to get Madison to do what he wants. I'm assuming the other states would take it ill if the 'neutral' President started suggesting bills, so he needs an allied delegate. Virginia's in an odd position: They started pro-Carolina, realized Carolina wasn't looking after their interests, but don't really feel any affinity with the strong northern states (PA, NY, MA) either. They're on their own if they want to get anything done.

Draco Rexus: Well, ideally a centralized and free government along the lines of the federal republic we eventually become in our TL would work well. That would take a constitutional convention or two to work the kinks out however, and Congress isn't going to do that in the middle of a war and possible insurrection. Right now they're reacting more than behaving proactively, which means they're going to be more inclined to clamp down on dissent than reach a compromise or let it be heard.

As for a field day...hmm, it's difficult in that I have a place I need to get to for the plot to continue, and new sidetrips (like the Vermont rebellion) keep cropping up. Of course I'm having a field day!

Alhazen: Hmm....well, I think we know who's side you're on!

------------------

And congratulate me! I've had this God $#*@)&$# hijacking trojan on my computer for four months. It is (or was) state of the art so every attempt I made to kill it failed. I finally logged on to geekstogo.com, downloaded all their programs and went to war today. I think it's dead.

Merry Christmas to me! BWAHAHAAHAHAHAHAH!

-= 128 =-

December 24, 1783
Cherokee Territory

Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee. The voice of one crying in the wilderness...

"Dearest Anne:" Thomas Heyward, Commanding General (at least in name) of the Army of the South, frowned at the opening. It still seemed too familiar, but given what was at stake he left it.

"I hope this letter finds you well and in good health. To be honest I hope it reaches you at all. I know there are many, perhaps even you, who find it unmanly to lay one's troubles at a friend's feet. However there are none here with who I can seek counsel, and I hope that though you cannot help me either that by writing about my problems I will find a solution. If nothing else, should something happen at least there will be a record of why."

And the angel came in unto her, and said, 'Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.' And when she saw him, she was troubled at his saying, and cast in her mind what manner of salutation this should be.

"You know why I accepted this assignment: I hoped to control the excesses this war would take and therefore pave the way for an eventual peace with minimal casualties. It's safe to say I've failed miserably.

Early on we started raiding villages, and the normal excesses followed. I probably don't need to detail that so I'll spare you. I tried to control it, but learned I was fostering mutiny so I relented. I think that was a mistake. It only encouraged the men and weakened my authority. I must unfortunately report that I doubt there's an Indian alive within three leagues of us, and our disciplined army now more resembles the Khan's hordes than what you or I would call Christian. It's ironic that those who will say anything argue that since they're the pagan savages, they're not deserving of God's mercy."

Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, 'God with us.'

"Unfortunately the Cherokee aren't much better. They've taken our actions very ill and have retaliated, and I'm not sure I blame them. However it's only inviting further retaliation, which seems to breed more violence on their part, and so in an endless cycle. Again, I will spare you the details but when we found the bodies of the last scouts they'd captured, I was physically ill. Suffice to say the scalpings we've heard about in Georgia are the least of what they're capable of. Anyone who could have stopped this has been pushed aside.

It is perhaps a blessing that the snows have buried both us and them until probably spring. It will give everyone a chance to calm down and reflect, and with luck cooler heads will prevail. If not, then this spring will see more blood. I hear General Arnold's maintained better control over his men: Perhaps I shall write and ask his counsel - or at least a few officers I can trust."

He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David. And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end. (...) For with God nothing shall be impossible.

"I expect a number of desertions come spring. The men are uncommonly sore the war didn't end before the snow fell. I could have told them it wouldn't. I was here when General Exeter made his mad dash years ago and I know how difficult the Appalachians are, and how experienced their braves in the art of stealth. It's the kind of tactic they don't teach European armies to deal with well. It worked for us in '73, but we lost the knack when we adopted European military standards. I think they're frustrated. I am frustrated. Assuming I have enough men still, then I'll settle this in spring. I'm sad to say that means there will be one more battle, probably one more bloodletting, but maybe then we can all go home. You know there are times I believe a darker influence is at work in our land. I cannot say why I think this, but I think it's infecting the men. Any further disappointment...

Any further disappointment, and I think they'll mutiny. Even with my personal guards, I'm afraid ... not for my own skin, but for all of us. For everything Americans claim to believe in. If our army falls apart, I can't imagine what will happen. If we stay, however, then there will be that much more blood on our hands - not of their braves, but of innocents. I should have been able to stop this. This is my responsibility, and I have no idea how to end it."

And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you.

Thomas Heyward stopped and frowned at his letter. Was he saying too much? Almost certainly. Did it need to be said? He sighed and stared through his half open tent flap at the night stars. One of the brighter ones winked back at him.

"We need a miracle."

Fear not...

--------------
(Quotes taken from the Books of Matthew, Mark and Luke - King James version. Happy Holidays everyone!)

Cat, that letter of Tom's, interposed with the Bibilical passages, was brilliant! It allowed us to see the full dispair Tom is dealing with at the same time serving as a reminder that even at it's blackest depths, life still has hope left. Again, brilliant and bravo!

Here's hoping you and yours had a very Merry Christmas! :)

A very nice Christmas post. But Tom does not seem to have the spirit this year. Hope his New Years goes better.

Hopefully for Tom it's darkest before the dawn. Have a good New Year.

Joe

A very dark tone in the last couple of updates. Even Heyward seems kind of lost, overwhelmed by the impossibility of keeping his army in check. I think his letter to Anne did a very good job of condensing all the ugliness of the Cherokee war into a fairly compact post. And good that it is a compact post, because there are now so many developments to keep track of: Black's continued quest to break America's soul, beginning in the Carolinas; the assassination and attempted murder in Philadelphia that are steering Congress right where Black wants them to go; Andre's ever more dangerous position; Preston's return home, his damaged marriage and his first steps to stand up against Black...

I was struck by the fact that John Rutledge's murder, ordered by Black to teach Edward a lesson, seems to unwittingly have furthered Black's cause of perverting the United States tremendously. Especially combined with Ethan Allen's poorly timed uprising against New York. It seems Black's influence, whether directly or indirectly, is starting to spread beyond the Carolinas.

Obviously a great deal more has happened since I last commented and it is a shame that I am not able to comment on everything in detail. Restricting my compliments to the general, I can only say that I just spend roughly an hour being immersed in your latest updates and that they were some of the most compelling reading I've done in the last two weeks or so. Thanks for the great story. :)