• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
ring.jpg

Marry me.

This is rip roaringly good stuff. :)

A brillant. langruous update. Just the way it drifts along in a daze, just like her mind must, one day merging seemlessly into the next, drifting on a sea of trivia. Masterful.

stnylan said:
A brillant. langruous update. Just the way it drifts along in a daze, just like her mind must, one day merging seemlessly into the next, drifting on a sea of trivia. Masterful.

Thanks. I allowed myself to be slightly inspired by Proust's In Search of Lost Time (another work I've never read), but I decided to only push it so far.

Combined with my earlier inspiration of War and Peace, if I can find someway to work either Tristam Shandy or Ulysses into this, I think I could create the single most unreadable AAR ever. :p

Iron-Chef said:
Indeed, a marvelous job. Anything with Rasputin gets my vote! :D

Well, Rasputin's dead. He might make an appearance in a flashback, though, if that's where the story winds.

Mettermrck said:
First-rate stuff, I'm really enjoying it so far. I like how you don't fill in all the gaps, giving the reader a struggle to figure how what's going on behind the scene's of a young girl's thoughts. :)

It's a struggle? Well, I figured the wordiness might have scared off a few of those to whom English isn't a first language, but I was going for a train-of-thought feel. That's how she thought, so that's how I wrote; it's like live television. But I guess we aren't all on the same train of thought, now, are we? :p

I'll be switching away from the first-person inner monologue for a little bit, though it will be the major narrative form in Anastasia's parts. The next entry, for example, will be history-book, with in-game pics, to set up the start of the actual game. I'm predicting that this will make the next entry a lot easier for me to write, and it should be all the longer for it.

Next entry should come either tomorrow or Sunday.

Veldmaarschalk said:
I can just repeat what the other have said, excellent.

Well, the more praise I get, the faster the updates'll come. :)

Last edited:
Thistletooth said:
It's a struggle? Well, I figured the wordiness might have scared off a few of those to whom English isn't a first language, but I was going for a train-of-thought feel. That's how she thought, so that's how I wrote; it's like live television. But I guess we aren't all on the same train of thought, now, are we? :p

I mean struggle in a good way, so perhaps it was a poor choice of words on my part. Like I was wondering how the beginning had come about, what had happened to the royal family, was this Ekaterinburg, prior to that, or some other storyline. You didn't necessarily explain everything, which allowed me to really think about what was going on. A compliment to your writing, sir! :cool:

Mettermrck said:
I mean struggle in a good way, so perhaps it was a poor choice of words on my part. Like I was wondering how the beginning had come about, what had happened to the royal family, was this Ekaterinburg, prior to that, or some other storyline. You didn't necessarily explain everything, which allowed me to really think about what was going on. A compliment to your writing, sir! :cool:

"Struggle" would have been a complement either way, good sir. I love confusing people (and talking over their heads) as much as I love entertaining them. You should hear me in real life, I must be infuriating! :)

The next chapter should fill in all the holes regarding what was going on with the backstory, since it will cover pretty much everything political in Russia from 1917-1935. I have the skeleton all done, right up here...(I'm pointing to my head right now)...I just have to add the meaty morsels. I've been deliberately avoiding as many proper nouns and descriptions of them as possible, hence my not mentioning the protagonist by name (so someone with no knowledge of the Romanovs might not have known who the hell the girl was), nor known the location or significance of Livadia, Tsarskoe Selo, or the Catherine Palace (however, if you didn't know what Petrograd was, for shame!) :p

I figured I might be frustrating some people, but then...I don't mind that so much. If I'm confusing anyone, maybe it could spur them to do a little research. I'm hoping that by the end of this AAR, any remaining readers would be as knowledgable of the lives and times of the Romanovs as I. Their lives and deaths have been a passion of mine for literally months, and in the course of my research, I think I've fallen in love with every one of the Romanov girls. I understand that the prevaling trend in AARdom is to be entertaining, but I'm just as interested in being thorough and educational; I would like very much for others to discover them as I have.

Most of the proper nouns I did mention were important, and will become even moreso over the course of the story, particularly Kerensky and Yusupov. Expect many other proper nouns to be introduced as well.

This is amazing writing. You showed her personality very well.

Thistletooth said:
Well, the more praise I get, the faster the updates'll come.

I may just praise you every minute of every day of every day of every week of every month of every year until the AAR finishes ;) ;) .

Edit: Yay, my 500th post.

Last edited:
Lots of interesting alternate history there. I can't wait to see how the rest of the world turns out.

stnylan said:
Lots of interesting alternate history there. I can't wait to see how the rest of the world turns out.

It should get intrestinger. However, due to the difficulties I've encountered with my preliminary modding, the world of 1936 won't be that different from what it was historically. It just doesn't seem worth all the hassle of re-arranging half of Europe, as well as half of the event files, when I have so little time to devote to the AAR as is. Midterms are coming up, too.

The next entry should be up later today. I wrote one big, long entry (10 1/2 pages, single-spaced) after class yesterday, and this last entry was only about half of it. All I'd need to do for the second half is track down a few photos and in-game pics. I found this style of writing to be a fair bit easier than the style I used earlier for Anastasia, though I have no intention of abandoning the earlier style. The rest of the pre-1936 entries should move along fairly swiftly, though.

Only two replies so far, eh? Somehow, I think my AAR is too intimidating for its own good. :p

Last edited:
Nah, give these things time. As for limiting the modding, I am always amazed at the work some authors do to mod their games. Do as much or as little as seems sensible and practical.

very nice update! obviously the Bolsheviks will go wrong somewhere since this is an imperial russia aar :D still wondering how tho....:)