• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Book II: Pedro Berenguer de Barcelona

Chapter III: Trouble in the south.

1078 - Harbourdistrict of Barcelona

The man was still walking before her, unbeknown of her presence. Busilla had stalked her prey for a while now all through the many alleys of the ever growing city of Barcelona. The city wasn’t as big as those of her native Apulia, making her work even easier. She was sure this was the man she was waiting for all this time, ever since that day she had offered her services to the local Duke. The Duke had payed her well for the pieces of information she had gathered for him and Busilla would repay his continued support this day. Her actions could determine the fate of the Duchy this day. She readied the small knife she was always carrying with her. It wasn’t especially ladylike to carry a weapon, but in her line of work preparation was everything. She just had to wait for the right moment to strike. She would complete the mission she had set for herself.

gaia-03.jpg

The mysterious young woman known as Busilla. Her Moorish parentage is clearly visible.

Busilla’s life hadn’t been easy because of her heritage. As the daughter of a Norman noblewoman and a Moorish soldier she would have to live with the shame of being of mixed blood. Her mother died giving birth to her, leaving her to grow up in the Duchy of Apulia all by herself. There she grew up being mocked and bullied about her parentage. Yet Busilla wasn’t the type to sit idly by when others did her harm. She thought back at the time when young Mathilde called her a pagan mongrel. The next day the court-chef found the remains of Mathilde’s favourite doll in his oven. Then there had been Cecilia, who had accused her of witchcraft. The next day Cecilia’s bethrothed, who was supposed to have been away, walked in on Cecilia and the stableboy in a less than honourable position. The man claimed to have received a mysterious tip. So was life in Busilla’s eyes, do unto others like they do unto you…

The next few months the wole court had been in an uproar, as many dirty secrets where suddenly revealed. Everyone looked at the other, but none came to suspect the young Moorish girl, walking in the shadows. Nobody, except Robert Guiscard, the Duke himself. She still remembered the smile on his face when he caught her. He had told her he liked the game of cat and mouse, but that she should never forget just who was the cat and who was the mouse. He also told that unless the mouse wished to be eaten alive, the she would serve the cat. And so she did until she turned 16. It was then that the Duke had send her to ‘Ser’ Thibaud, the current ambassador to Barcelona. She thoroughly hated everything about that man, the way he treated her, the way he looked at her, the way he touched her when his wife was away. That was why she had approached the Duke of Barcelona, to get that man one day…
Busilla hit herself on the forehead, this wasn’t the time to reminice! She should stay focussed on her target. The man was distracted, looking at one of the many harlots plying her ‘wares’ in the harbour. She slowly walked up to the man, hiding the knife in her right palm. She would strike any moment now…

Thud, she bumped into the man, while he was still staring at the harlot.

“Watch it you bitch.”

“Excuse me sir, I didn’t mean to…”

She quickly ran away, pretending to be a scared little girl. Yet she knew she had furfilled her mission. She had stolen a very important message from a supposedly anonymous courrier. She had stolen his purse too, cutting the leather cords the fastened it with her knife. Hopefully the lout would think he simply had been mugged. Now she had to deliver the message to the Duke in all haste. She would meet him in Tarragona, knowing that the city would probably be in his hands by now. As for the payment for her troubles, she already had something in mind...

###################​

1078 – Banks of the Ebro

Duke Pedro Ramon overlooked the fields near the mighty Ebro. They where looking the same as always, with the odd flock of sheep quietly grazing in them. Nothing remembered of the great battle that took place here four years ago. Was it just four years? How time flew by. A lot had happened since those days, when he had simply been the Alférez instead of the Duke. Pedro also saw the city of Tarragona in the distance, the last Moorish city north of the Ebro. The Cid’s resistance prevented him from sieging the city four years ago. This time things would be different. Pedro was not alone in his viewing of the city. Accompanying him on the tour where his halfbrothers, Ramon Berenguer and Berenguer Ramon, as well as Count Bernat de Besalu, his old childhood friend.

Ramon and Berenguer where twins, but looked nothing alike. Ramon had the large girth of a man fully enjoying life. Indeed, he was the only man present capable of doing so, as he was the only one present without any actual responsibilities. Pedro had named him Master of the Hunt, a completely ceremonial title giving the simpleminded Ramon the time to indulge in his two passions: hunting and eating. But to be fair to the man, he had his uses. His likeable personality and lack of personal ambitions made him the perfect host to entertain visiting ambassadors and dignitaries while Pedro was busy. Yet even the normally carefree Ramon had his problems. Frail Urracca had severe problems while giving birth before, the surgeons did all they could, but she didn't survive childbirth this time. Pedro knew Ramon loved his wife, he couldn't help but feel some pity for the man, even if it was Almodis that gave birth to him.

Pedro did not held any such feelings for Berenguer though. That greedy little man had been a thorn in his side, especially after his marriage to that Greek witch. For some reason the cardinal had appointed him as the noble responsible for overseeing the christening of the city of Zaragoza. He and his wife had already claimed the Aljaferia-palace as their own. Proof of large amounts of gold being send to the couple by the Moorish elite where send to him by Busilla on a regular basis. Yet, even a Duke was not able to overturn a clerical appointment without a very good reason. For now the only thing he could do was try and prevent the couple from expanding their influence too much.

It looked like the city was just lightly defended, despite it being the new seat of the Emir of Zaragoza. The city would fall quickly, probably before the end of summer. The fall of his other lands and the loss of El Cid as a general must have hurt him deeply. The problem was that the Emirate of Toledo probably would assist him against the northern invaders. Yet Pedro had received several reports of a struggle to the death between the Emirates of Badajoz and Toledo, a struggle Toledo was losing badly. Now was the time to strike.

Last edited:
Down with Zaragoza, up with Barcelona!

Let's just hope that Badajoz doesn't eat Toledo and become too big to easily handle.

Down with Zaragoza, up with Barcelona!

Let's just hope that Badajoz doesn't eat Toledo and become too big to easily handle.

Well, both Seville and Badajoz are busy gobbling up all remaining Muslim states. To give a spoiler, one of them will give raise to Al-Andalus Reborn! However, will this new Caliphate be able to push back the crusaders to the Pyrinees, or will it crumble before the Catalan Might?

Only time will tell...

In my games the Moorish Taifa usually end up as vassals of the Berber kingdoms of North Africa. And then usually the most illogical ones (like Beni Helel, or however it's written - the one holding Kairouan - though they once massively pledged to the Seljuks too one time). The possibility of a new, independent al-Andalus offers a lot of challenge and fun though.

In my games the Moorish Taifa usually end up as vassals of the Berber kingdoms of North Africa. And then usually the most illogical ones (like Beni Helel, or however it's written - the one holding Kairouan - though they once massively pledged to the Seljuks too one time). The possibility of a new, independent al-Andalus offers a lot of challenge and fun though.

In my game the Moors started to combine at an alarming rate after my campaigns against the Taifa. Just threw in the name al-Andalus to make it sound more intersting :D. However, I am in 1200 ingame atm and both the Muratibids and Zirids are major powers in the Western Med.

Hope to have an update friday.

A AAR with a too slow tempo I say. :cool:

But good although. :D

Thanks, I guess ;). I hope to up the update rate in the future, but reallife if really eating my time at the moment. Glad you like it though.

Chapter IV: Meetings at Tarragona.

1079 – Tarragona, Duchy of Barcelona

Ermengol, Count of Urgell, overlooked the mighty Ebro, now the border between the ever expanding Duchy and the Emir of Toledo. He was here with that fat fool of a Ramon Berenguer, practicing the noble art of hunting with a falcon. Ermengol was more fond of this form of hunting than the boarhunts most of his peers preferred. Every peasant with a spear could hunt a boar as well as any nobleman, while the training of a falcon took time, effort and skill. Falconing truly was an art worthy of him. However, he wasn’t here just to play with the Duke’s younger brother. The Duke had called all his nobles for a matter of the gravest importance. The Duke had chosen the newly conquered Tarragona as the location for the meeting with his nobles.

falconing.jpg

Falconing, the sport of Kings.

As his falcon gracefully soared through the sky his thoughts drifted away to days past. He still remembered this place well. It was the location of the first battle he had ever participated in. It was also the location at which he had been outsmarted for the first time in his life too. He still remembered the humiliation of that illiterate boor of a Pedro Berenguer carefully listening to his plan, only to make him look like a fool. The great Cid had been defeated by believing Pedro had adopted his plan. Ermengol winched, remembering his greatest miscalculation in his life still hurt. A lot had happened since that day. Now, at only 23, he was one of the most feared military commanders in Iberia. His great victory over the troops of the Duke of Aquitaine had earned him respect and emnity alike. Respect, because of the fact the Duke had more than twice Ermengols numbers in the battle. Enmity because of Ermengols brutal and unknightly methods of evening the fight. He had his man deliberatly create landslides while the Dukes men passed the Pyrinees, and many French chevalier had perished that way. Ermengol didn’t care, if they feared him they wouldn’t dare attack his domain again. Glory was for fools, in the end only power truly counted. And Ermengol knew his power was threatened.

It wasn’t the Duke that threatened his power. He and Pedro had come to some kind of tacit agreement to stay out of each others way, both men respecting the others ability while despising what they stand for. It wasn’t that fool from Aquitaine either, he was still lamenting the loss of his best knights. It wasn’t even the Jimenids, even if Ermengol knew Alfonso would make a move on Barcelona soon. No, the threat to his power came from Zaragoza. Anna Doukas and that Barcelonid simian she kept as her husband. With her husband as the one overseeing the church’s efforts to convert the local heathens, she was effectively the woman ruling over Zaragoza. With the wealth she managed to rake together she had built a formidable network of agents all around the Duchy. However, in all her eagerness she had made several mistakes. For one, she forgot it was quality that counted with your agents not quantity. Indeed, het network was large, but most men where simple cutthroats and highwaymen bribed or forced into her service. Their methods where too crude, their movements too obvious. He smiled, that Greek witch would find out how the big boys played soon enough. Funny thing was that he wouldn’t have to move a finger. It looked like the Duke had some competent agents as well.

#########################​

“No Alfons, you should hold your swordarm a bit higher. Unless you wan’t a Moor to break through your guard.”

Pedro Berenguer was glad he could finally teach his som himself again. He knew his Estefania had hired the best instructors she could to teach the boy in his stead, but still, there where some things a boy should learn from his father. Despite his initial misgivings, Estefania had insisted on her and Alfons joining him at Tarragona, almost a year ago. Since then the Lord had graced them with a second son, Martí. Alfons too had been delighted to be thought by his father again, even if his mother insisted him to keep studying his books before going off riding hunting or fencing with his father.

Alfons seemed to enjoy their time together too, and he had proven to be a quick student at almost all matters put before him. The boy spoke Latin with the same ease as Alfons spoke Catalan, knew court etiquette as well as his mother and was able to hold his own with the sword against boys years older than he was. Alfons was truly a prodigy, destined for great things in the future. However, the boy was constantly pushing himself too, wanting more than he could handle at times. Pedro knew his son was no longer happy at just fencing with wooden trainingswords.

wooden-sword.jpg

“Father, when may I hold a real sword?” Pedro saw the ten year olds eyes fixed on his own sword.
“Do you mean a normal sword or Tizona?” Pedro couldn’t hide a smile, he knew the attraction a ‘legendary’ sword like his own held. The sword once held by El Cid Campeador and now held by the ‘Hero of the Ebro’. Yet a sword was still a sword, no matter who had held it before, even with a fine sword of Damascus-Steel as Tizona was. He saw Alfons look away, probably embarrased at asking his father such a bold question. “The day that you must wield a sword will come soon enough Alfons, don’t be too overeager”. [/I]“Y.. Yes, father, forgive my insolence”, the boy sounded older than his age again. “You know what Alfons? You must learn to take care of a weapon before you can wield it. I guess it is time”. [/I]“Time for what, father?”, Alfons was barely able to contain his enthousiasm, knowing well his father was about to give him permission for something new. “Why don’t you go visit the master-of-arms and ask him to teach you how to take care of a real sword?” Pedro watched as Alfons thanked him and ran off to the master-at-arms. As he saw his son starting to harass the master-at-arms, he also felt a very familiar presence closing in on him.

“I really wish you would stop sneaking up to me, Busilla.”

“I apologize, mylord. I didn’t mean to startle you.”

From the small smile on her face Pedro knew she wasn’t sorry at all. He guessed she just liked the startled look on his face. The smile gave her away. Busilla normally kept her face a straight as she could, making sure nobody could read her thoughts, the fact she allowed herself to smile gave her away. For all her skill, she still was just a 19-year old girl. Even a girl as serious and stoic as Busilla must still have a penchant for things like that. But Pedro knew that Busilla wouldn’t seek him out if she hadn’t any business to discuss with him. For almost two years now, after that strange meeting in his private chapel in Barcelona, she had sought out his enemies and tried to steal their secrets. She had uncovered several plots and schemes varying from a corrupt harbourofficial to a serious attempt on his life. She truly had been worth her weight in gold, therefore Pedro always made sure to pay her fairly.

“Mylord, Count Ermengol is returning to this city as we speak. The news I bring concerns him.”

“Ugh, Ermengol. I had hoped Ramon could keep him busy for a while longer. What is that pitviper up to now?”

Simply speaking that mans made his mouth taste like bile. Yet for all his many faults, Ermengol was one of the few nobles in the realm actually able to lead an army, as his victory over the Aquitain knights had proven. The only other capable noble was his childhood friend Bernat de Besalu. However, ever since the death of Bernats second wife things had changed between them. The cheerful Bernat he knew had changed into a thoroughly bitter man. He still remembered Bernats outburst towards his halfbrother Ramon, who had lost a wife in childbirth too, after the latter claimed their wives where now in heaven. Bernat had claimed that if God was love, he wouldn’t had taken their wives away. He had claimed all life was meaningless, especially that of fools who believed otherwise. Since then Bernat wasn’t welcome at the court any more. As a concequence Pedro had no choice but to rely on Ermengols skills.

“I have gathered some evidence Ermengol is decreasing the number of man he has in Zaragoza. I find this odd. It would only make sense for him to keep an eye on your brother Berenguer Ramon and the Papal missionary efforts there.”

It was indeed odd for Ermengol to pull his men back like that. Especially since he was normally quite proud of his network. Was he trying to force him to make a move?

“What do you recommend, Busilla?”

“He is obviously up to something. He either needs the men for other tasks, or he is trying to force us to act. In either case, in the end he wins. Unless…”

“Unless what?”

“I just might have an idea mylord. But before I tell it, do you still remember the proposal I made a while ago? Officially I am still in the service of Sir Thibaud. I can only perform my plan when I’m fully in the service of Barcelona.” She spoke nervously, unlike herself.

Pedro still remembered the surreal discussion he had with Busilla then. The girl had blatantly declared the price for her permanent loyalty was … a husband. He also remembered the glare she had given him then. He could almost swear he saw the girl tremble and blush slightly. He had steered the discussion away from that subject quickly then and had done so on all other occasions. However, he couldn’t keep her off indefinetly. Busilla’s service was too valuable to loose. What should he do?

Killing her would be easiest. :rolleyes:

Isn't it quite early for Damascus steel?

Who should die? The hot Greek blonde or the quiet Moorish girl who just wants to be useful? In both cases I'm incligned to let them live: Busilla is very useful and Anna Doukas is, well, nice eyecandy :D

According to very thorough historical research (wikipedia ;)) Damascus Steel had been produced since 900.

If there is one to kill, that one is in Castilla...

If there is one to kill, that one is in Castilla...

No fan of Sancho I guess. Rest assured both Alfonso and Sancho will have very appropriate ends, even if an assasins blade took no part in them. some times the game is crueler than I can be :D.

Update tonight, unless a sudden case of writers block overtakes me.

Chapter IV: Grand Plans.​

1078 – Tarragona, Duchy of Barcelona

The mood in the grand hall of the Tarragonan keep was tense. It all had to do with the announcement the Duke had just made. Duke Pedro Berenguer was planning to expand the Duchy to the south of the Ebro, bringing Christian rule back to the area for the first time in 350 year. However most of the gathered noblemen hadn’t been quite as enthousiastic about the plans. Especially Ermengol was a vocal opponent of such vainglorious expeditions.

“Mylord, I must protest against such a foolish waste of lives. At the moment the Moors are busy tearing eachother apart. However, any Christian interference could easilly lead to them uniting under one banner. A scenario we need to avoid at all costs.”

Bernat de Besalu was the first to react: “Never thought I’d see the day that the likes of you would care about the peasants of the realm, Ermengol.”

“Yes, I’m quite the good Christian Bernat.”, Ermengol spat the words with his usual sarcastic venom. “However, I am not a fool. I rather like NOT living under some foreign overlord. Although I am sure you would have no problems with the Moors Bernat. The average Muslim enters the Holy Church more than you do these days.”

Ermengols words hit where it hurt. Bernat was indeed only a few steps away from being officially excommunicated because of his perceived heretical words. Ever since the death of his first love Agnès, Bernat hadn’t entered a church or had received Holy communion.

“I agree with Ermengol, we can serve the church best at home, by converting the heathens already in the realm.” Berenguer Ramon obviously threw in his lot with Ermengol. As usual he was hiding behind the fact he was the protector of the papal missionary work to hide his own selfish goals. He probably didn’t want to spend his ill-gained money on some expedition that didn’t gain him anything. He had once tried to extend his influence over Bernats (unconverted) territories, only to be forcefully rebuffed by Bernat.

berenguer-ramon.jpg

Berenguer Ramon de Barcelona, halfbrother to Duke Pedro Berenguer. His wife secured the position of 'Protector of the Papal Mission to Iberia' for him. Berenguer is oblivious to this fact.

“We can further the work of the church best by reclaiming area’s lost, not by navelgazing at what we have already”. This time Count Gerard d’Empuries of Rosello spoke up. Berenguer tried to excommunicate the man a year before, probably after refusing to pay some tithe to Berenguer. Ever since Gerard supported any plan going against Berenguers wishes on principle. However, this time the man’s petty feud was actually beneficial to the realm. Pedro knew that as Duke he held most of the power in name, but he needed all the support he needed for his grand campaign. However, it didn’t help most meetings the last few days usually made all the Counts of the Duchy look like a bunch of old wives. No, that would be an insult to old hags around the world, Pedro corrected himself, even hags could be reasoned with. Pedro knew what he had to do. He would have to wait for this farce to end and try to reason with all these man one by one. He wasn’t looking forward to the next few days.

###################​

1078 – Aljaféria Palace, Zaragoza

Anna Doukas frowned upon her chief engineer. The renovation of the Aljaféria-Palace was still not ready, despite all the money she had spend to turn an unfinished Moorish hovel into something an Imperial Princess could be proud off. Apparently marble was quite difficult to aquire in this barbaric country. The man was groveling for his very life, as he should. She had just snap her finger for the Moorish engineer to be send to the local missionaries, a fact that was usually fatal. She sighed, the man could continue to live. It wasn’t his fault his ancestors chose to leave the desert to live in this corner of the earth. If only that fool brother of her hadn’t send her here. But still, she had learned to make the best of things, even in the face of all those Spanish peasants. Zaragoza wasn’t as bad as Barcelona, especially with that husband of hers away. That fool thought he was a man of importance now, and liked to act like one near that halfbrother of a Duke of him. Now she had some time for her other liasons, like one of those charming knights she had appointed to her personal guard, or even the Cardinal the Pope had send to oversee the missionarywork. She couldn’t surpress a chuckle, even she had learned a thing or two from his Eminence.

“Having fun mylady?”

Anna’s smile melted away, here was the last person she wanted to see.

“Manuel, I told you to stay out of sight. I people knew of you being here…”

“Then what? Can these people understand Greek? Do these people even care about another Greek servant. Do they know about my ‘talents’. No they do not, mylady. So please do not worry yourself with such trivialities.”

“You’ve got quite the lip Manuel. Be quiet unless you wish to lose it.”

“Never spout a threat you are not willing to back up, mylady, it makes you look foolish. I just wanted to tell you Fouad al-Aziz will get a nasty surprise soon. I’ve made … preparations.”

poison-cup.jpg

A thin smile grew on the mans mouth. Manuel obviously took pleasure in his work and was very proud of his skills. Anna always felt uneasy around Manuel, even if she was the one responsible for him being here and not in Constantinople. The man was very capable at making difficult nobles, Moorish or otherwise, disappear. His knowledge of poisons, and the applying of it, was without equal. The downside was that Manuel was one of the few people she couldn’t read. Yet that was the risk of having spiders on your side. However, in the wild she-spiders eat male spiders…

Church might excommunicate spiders. :p

After the showdown with the apple they should have done it.:p

Unfortunately the spiders are orthodox in this case. I guess the Patriarch doesn't care about a spoiled princess murdering some catholics or muslims. Can anyone guess who one of those spiders is based on?

Next update will probably be tuesday. I can post the piece about war with Toledo, or add some more intruige at court.

Chapter V: the eve of battle​

June 1079 – near the stronghold of Fadrell

Ramon Berenguer wept the sweat of his brow. Travelling through the heat of summer was exhausting, especially while wearing heavy mail. Ramon had been more than happy to stay at home, taking care of the court in his brothers absence. Yet his halfbrother, Duke Pedro Berenguer, had insisted at him joining the campaign against the Emirate of Toledo, probably because of the lack of reliable noblemen to lead the troops. Of all the lords of the realm only he and Count de Besalu had joined the Duke on campaign. Ermengol had been ordered to watch the nothern border, making sure the Duke of Aquitaine didn’t have any strange ideas where the border lay. His twinbrother Berenguer had returned to Zaragoza, to oversee the inquisition. And now he was here, trying to lead a cavalry-regiment while his only experience holding a weapon had been during his frequent hunting trips. Luckily for him his brother had assigned an experienced French knight, Simon de Parthenay, as his lieutenant. Ramon knew his place, as brother of the Duke he had to act as a figurehead to the regiment, while Simon would lead them through actual combat.

simondeparthenay-1.jpg

Simon de Parthenay. An experienced French knight and Ramon Berenguers lieutenant. He was assigned by the Duke to assist the military challenged Ramon.

“Everything alright, husband?”. His new wife obviously wanted his attention. Like most of the events in his life, even the choosing of his second wife had been his brothers choice. Only months after Uracca’s death his brother has asked, well forced, him to marry his Apulian servant Busilla. Not that he would have minded to remarry some day, but so soon? And to Busilla?

To be honest, the girl tried to be a good wife, and she wasn’t exactly ugly, but he simply didn’t understand how her mind worked. She would skulk off into the night on some assignment, she never displayed any emotion, she had joined him and the Duke on campaign. She was everything his Uracca hadn’t been, and yet.. He couldn’t help but feel some affection for this strange girl that was now his wife.

“Yes I am alright dearest.” Ramon wiped some more sweat from his brow. “I’m just not used to campaigning like this.”

“Just try to think of it as an extended huntingtrip.” Busilla spoke in her normal matter-of-fact tone, making it hard to tell if she was encouraging or mocking him. “Also, De Parthenay wishes to speak with you. Just say yes to every non financial proposal he has. I will be away for a while husband.”

Busilla drove off into the distance, probably for some kind of errant for his halfbrother. Ramon still didn’t know whether he should thank or curse his brother for her.

#######################​

Duke Ramon Berenguer paced restlessly. It had been a while since he had led a true campaign, not counting the short siege of Tarragona. He had forgotten the stress such a campaign brought with it. First of all, keeping all his men Christian knights and Muslim levies together. Just last friday he had to condemn several of his knights for disturbing the Mahomedan rites. His knights zealousness had its downsides for sure. Most of them considered this campaign a holy crusade against al-Andalus, and saw no place for Moors in such a fight. Pedro himsels disliked relying on the heathens too, but he knew he had no choice. The campaigns of the last decade had made his realm one where the majority of the inhabitants where Moors. Mistreatment of them would be disastrous. Therefore he had no choice but to condemn the men.
There where more troubles in his own rear. The last few months Busilla has brought him evidence that Berenguer Ramon was building a network of agents from Zaragoza. Most of them where either being followed, turned or silenced at the moment, yet the callousness of this act meant Berenguer and that Greek harpy where not without means. To counter the threat Pedro had send Ermengol back to Urgell, both to send the Duke of Aquitaine a message and to keep Berenguer under control. Let the snakes deal with themselves. Unfortunately this meant that the best military mind of the realm was stuck at the feet of the Pyrinees.

olderPedro.jpg

Duke Pedro Ramon de Barcelona, 44 years of age now. A devout Christian himself, but not willing to let religious intolerance tear his Duchy apart. The Duke himself was not above wearing (the more comfortable) Moorish mantles.

Besides these troubles there where the normal problems of accuiring food and water, especially the latter was in short supply in the summer. Therefore Pedro had chosen to split his army in three. His halfbrother Ramon Berenguer would command one of the two cavalry regiments that would penetrate deeply into the enemies lands. To assist his rather lacking brother Pedro had hired the famed French chevalier Simon de Parthenay to ‘assist’ his brother. Ramon may not like it being a puppet, but he would accept his role. He and Count Bernat de Besalu would command the main force, which was poised to take th Moorish fortress at Fadrell. The third regiment, existing mostly of Castilian volunteers, was already on its way to Valencia, trying to distract the forces of Abu Bakr, the Sheikh in charge of administering Valencia. He was sure ‘that’ man was able to furfill his plan.

I know what's up in the mind of Duke Pedro Ramon de Barcelona in that image... he's thinking "Where the hell is my rifle..." :D

Volunteers?
Medieval volunteers?

Or bloodthirsty nobles? :cool:

I agree volunteers might have been a bit too optimistic a description. Yet the campaign is still a holy war against the enemies of christianity. Some might have volunteered to fight for God, others 'volunteered' to get away from the Jimenid kings, yet most of them are probably fighting for their own benefit.

I know what's up in the mind of Duke Pedro Ramon de Barcelona in that image... he's thinking "Where the hell is my rifle..." :D

He looks deep in thought doesn't he :D. Luckily for him weapons control in the Middle Ags was somewhat lacking.