• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
And of course now the question remains, will Japan fight the USA once again?

I am not usually a betting man, but I think it is a safe bet to say "yes".

With Japan fighting the US, I can see China and Russia trying to reclaim what they lost in World War III.

"But my Emperor, why do we need to take Midway, Wake, Hawaii, Australia and Guadalcanal?"

"Because America is the enemy. Take that traitor away!"

@Nathan Madien: Yeah, and it only took over 50 years, an invasion by Cuba, and thousands of dead American and Cuban soldiers to do it!

@Ivir Baggins: Primorsk is actually not an accurate name for what Japan controls. What was once Primorski Krai is now almost entirely under Korean sovereignty now. The region north of Primorsk, which Japan controls, covers half of the Russian Khabarovsk Krai region, including Khabarovsk itself. Therefore, it is a more suitable name for that protectorate.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krais_of_Russia

@Asalto: Glad to see that my new battlewagons are well liked. I have always had a thing for big, powerful warships, and hate how modern navies have nothing but puny little frigates or corvettes or destroyers. (and before anyone says it, yes, I do know that is because modern ships have lots of powerful long range antiship missiles, giving them lots of firepower for their size) These Nuclear Battlecruisers are like the modern world's version of battleships, bristling with missiles and cannons. Also, you can bet these ships, as well as Japan's carriers, are going to feature VERY heavily in Japanese navy recruitment videos.

@hoi2geek: With regards to latin america, you shall have to wait and see what will happen there.

@KcindX: Interesting thing about that: I remember watching a documentary one time that said that before the Americans started meddling in the Soviet-Afghan War, the Soviet Army was actually doing VERY well. Massive usage of Mi-24 gunships as well as elite Spetznaz forces apparently had the Afghan Mujahideen on the run so to speak. However, the Mujahideen then started getting MANPADS and things started to go sour for the Soviets. Not sure if this statement is accurate, but it makes sense I think.

@trekaddict: Because for the sake of Japan's future, those regions must fly the Japanese flag!

@Everyone else: thanks for the comments!

Japanese industries are continuing massive military production. This time, the Air Force is getting some massive attention. Japan's airforce currently possesses a very large number of multirole long range air superiority fighters. These aircraft are great at shooting down enemy fighter and bombers, but they are not very suitable for when ground attack missions are needed. Japan hopes to rectify this situation by building hundreds of brand new short range multirole fighters. The Americans had provided information and blueprints on their F-35 Lightning multirole fighters before relations with Japan began to sour, this info is now exploited by Japan which copies and modifies the design to its own specifications.
japanesef35s.png

The year 2011 ends and the new year 2012 begins. By now, Japanese researchers, contractors, government institutions, and businesses have made huge strides in technological development, and are continuing to do so. Japanese researchers are currently making developments in the fields of things like electronic warfare, new artillery designs, fuel cells, and naval doctrines.
technologiesjanuary2012.png

Japanese military industries are also being put to work in equipping and training many new brigades of specialized infantry units. During the war with the Russians and the Chinese, Japanese elite commando units, as well as Japanese paratroopers and marines, were critical to gaining victory in many countless battles. In recognition of this, Japan is now working to vastly increase the size of its specialized infantry forces for the battles and conflicts that are yet to come.
morespecialforces.png

In international news, a small war breaks out on the Indian subcontinent. India, in response to some violent border clashes with its little neighbour Bangladesh, invades the country. Many Indian politicians are supportive of this move, having been encouraged by India's victory over Pakistan during WW3 to seek the vision of an India that encompasses the entire subcontinent. Bangladesh is not expected to last very long.
indianinvadesbangladesh.png

Meanwhile, the Americas finish establishing a friendly puppet regime in Cuba. American forces start leaving the country now, but leave behind a formidable force scattered throughout brand new American bases in the country.
americancuba.png

Back in Japan, the Japanese Navy is ordered to relocate its most powerful battlegroups to the allied state of Singapore. The movement of the fleet is an impressive sight, with 12 huge aircraft carriers, 6 massive nuclear battlecruisers, and many frigates and destroyers sailing through the open ocean towards the port city.
movingtosingapore.png

Bangladesh surrenders to India. Their army was no match for the much larger and far more powerful Indian Army, which overran the country with great speed and efficiency.
bangladeshsurrenders.png

Back in Japan, the Air Force takes orders for some very big new toys. Wings of heavy hitting strategic bombers are put into production, with these new beasts of the skies expected to be ready by the end of the year. The acquisition of these bombers will give Japan a very powerful tool for shattering the armies and industries of an opponent from the skies.
stratbombers.png

Meanwhile, Japanese ground forces load up in transport ships and begin to move out to Singapore. Alarm bells are now ringing in many countries as to why Japan is beginning such a massive military buildup in Singapore, with leaders in India especially becoming alarmed at these developments.
expeditionaryforcetosin.png

The answer lies just off the southern tip of India's coast: the island country of Sri Lanka. Torn apart by civil war for many decades, the island is still locked in struggle. Sri Lanka and the Tamil Tigers, which have taken control of the north/eastern parts of the country, have been trying to work out a settlement for years now, but civil war has still continued, with the current ceasefire having been in effect for many years now with no end in sight. Sri Lanka's army had been planning on launching a large scale military campaign to finally crush the Tigers, but the lack of foreign supplies due to WW3 (China and Russia being the Sri Lankan Army's main suppliers) meant that all offensives had to be cancelled. Japan now senses an opportunity to fill in that void.
srilanka20121.png

57c55a54486c8e86138dbd1.jpg

In other news, Japanese occupation forces crush an uprising by Chinese rebels in Qingdao.
qingdaorebellion.png

Back to Sri Lanka, Japanese diplomats fly into Colombo for talks with the Sri Lankan government. Like many of Japan's other allies, Japan offers to Sri Lanka a grand bargain to gain Sri Lankan loyalty to Japan. First, Japan offers to Sri Lanka massive economic aid to help grow its economy, aid that includes the transfer of badly needed resources like oil and rare metals. Next, Japan offers a huge military aid package, including weapons, logistical support, and supplies such as spare parts. Finally, Japan offers to Sri Lanka direct military assistance in destroying the Tamil Tigers, asking that the Sri Lankan Government allow Japan to deploy a brigade group of elite special forces commando's to the country for this purpose. In exchange, Japan asks that Sri Lanka allow Japan to set up military bases in the country and allow Japanese businesses freer access to the Sri Lankan market. After some deliberation, Sri Lanka's government accepts the Japanese proposal.
reachingouttosrilanka.png

srilankaaccepts.png

Japan now implements part of its side of the bargain. Huge aid shipments begin arriving to Sri Lanka from Japan, including things like supplies, oil, rare materials, and billions of dollars worth of cash.
aidtosrilanka.png

Finally, Sri Lanka ratifies its new defense and assistance treaty with Japan. Sri Lanka now becomes the newest member of Japan's alliance of nations, with all of the same benefits that come with it. With the alliance confirmed, Japanese forces will soon arrive in the country, ready to crush the Tamil Tigers holding out in the north. Japanese battlecruisers also arrive off the coast, not only as a strong symbol of Japan's willingness of protect Sri Lanka, but to also provide heavy naval fire support if required.
srilankajoinsthefold.png

However, Japan's new presence in Sri Lanka has brought great alarm to India, which considers Sri Lanka to be within its traditional sphere of influence. Indian leaders and military commanders hold an emergency cabinet meeting in New Delhi to discuss their options, with rumors circulated that the Indian leadership is split on whether or not to confront Japan directly over this matter.....
indiaconsidersoptions.png

Last edited:
I'm sensing a gigantic clash soon. Shame, I think India could be a decent ally, actually.

Put the Indians in their rightful place... KISSING THE EMPEROR'S BOOTS!

I would say India is picking a fight outside of their weight class. Japan is clearly the new superpower in the region. Also, I agree that you should shoot for Pacific hegemony, as that is a very easily attainable goal at this point. But if the opportunity presents itself, you should go for World hegemony, but only if the opportunity presents itself.

Kaiser.

This needs to be released as a mod. I can bet A TON of HOI:DD players who play MDS would cry tears of joy over this.

@KcindX: Interesting thing about that: I remember watching a documentary one time that said that before the Americans started meddling in the Soviet-Afghan War, the Soviet Army was actually doing VERY well. Massive usage of Mi-24 gunships as well as elite Spetznaz forces apparently had the Afghan Mujahideen on the run so to speak. However, the Mujahideen then started getting MANPADS and things started to go sour for the Soviets. Not sure if this statement is accurate, but it makes sense I think.

In military terms, Soviets were doing quite well in Afghanistan even after rebels started to receive extensive support from abroad. And even after the Soviets left, communist regime in Afghanistan managed to hold on for three more years. It's interesting to compare this with situation in Afghanistan today. Soviets went into the country alone, Americans brought half of the world with them. Kabul was oasis of peace during the Soviet presence, today Taliban insurgents are able to strike in the very centre of the capital. Anti-Soviet resistance had massive international support, Taliban resistance is supported mainly by some factions in Pakistan. It was much more the cost of war (which was indeed skyrocketed by Soviet loses and need for countless operations) that forced the Soviets to retreat than unsuccessful military operations. Because of that I'd say that Russians don't have too much problems with parts of Afghanistan they occupy in your scenario. Not to mention that about third of the country is occupied by Iran anyway. I'm not sure how would the Iranians do in Afghanistan, but as far as I know them, they are masters of political games and would rather try to dominate occupied parts by political and economic means. Just look how Americans handed Iraq on silver plate to Iran which is the real master of the most of Iraq now.

Now to the actual update, Japanese military buildup is really impressive! I also like how Japan is now modifying American technology she received before the US-Japanese relations worsened. I wonder if India will be brave enough to try to challenge mighty Japanese Empire. View on those massive nuclear battlecruisers at the coast of Sri Lanka must be really scary.

Perhaps it may be time to consider turning the Indians into a client state/protectorate, but I agree with HistoryBuff over World Hegemony, but I think it should be the one and ONLY goal for Japan, so that the world will be safe for Japan to exercise its power in peace.