• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This AAR is the best I ever read (including not only HOI3), and I read a lot. Your writning style is simply fabolous. I love the abundance of details. Every time I read one of your updates, the desire to play the game always come back in strenght.
By the way, even my daughter who is 5 years old knows not to disturb daddy when he reads something from Uriah :D

I know I am a bit late but... the Patch 1.3 Group... that's just brilliant! :p

edit:

I agree, you definitely deserve this award.

Thanks aviath: when I look at the list of previous winnners I am pretty pleased that I have been selected to join them.

Long time lurker appearing to say congrats!

Thanks MajorMayhem: but be careful - I was a lurker for years, then I made a few posts and look what happens!

This AAR is the best I ever read (including not only HOI3), and I read a lot. Your writning style is simply fabolous. I love the abundance of details. Every time I read one of your updates, the desire to play the game always come back in strenght.
By the way, even my daughter who is 5 years old knows not to disturb daddy when he reads something from Uriah :D

You'll make me blush! But honestly, when I am writing I am trying to get across the enjotment I get out of the game. 5 years old - isn't it about time she was busy with her own HOI3 game? Than you could have a family multiplayer game! I left it too late with my wife and daughters - their view of my love for computer games can be summed up in one word "Weird!".

I see poor Rommel is left out to pasture in East Prussia.
;)

Not for long. As I indicated in the last post, it was simple incompetence (on my part) that he was left in Poland. I think he will get a Pzkorps.

Have been tracking the gap between RC issue dates.

With 1.3, RC 1 was issued about 30/10, there were 7 RCs, nearly all were issued after only a day or so. (3 day gap for RC2). Final version released 9/11 (I am pretty sure). (Roughly 10 days from start to finish)

The currrent patch RC1 came out 18/2. 5 day gap to RC2. 7 day gap to RC3, 3 days to RC4. So we have had 17 days so far.

I'm starting to get twitchy - may have to do a day or two under RC4 (seems pretty good to me - I haven't struck any more ionvisibles, no crashes on exit etc. As usual, I'll back up everything. :)

I think I can wait until the weekend - see how things look then. I know that there are a lot of complaints in the Tech threads, but there will always be some people's systems that have problems (crashes etc). HOI3 has always been stable for me (only one crash ever, and I think that because another program started an auto download while I was saving). Most complaints are about strange AI results, and again, in a game like this I would expect that in a 1000 games played, there would be some odd results. Other than Australia going Axis, mine has stayed within "normality".

Or am I just rationalising so I can get back to whacking the French? They gave me hell (twice now!), and now it is payback time!

So far the only real issue I had with the current 1.4 beta is the ridiculous waste of Leadership by the Allies influencing tons of minors instead of working on their techs/spies, but I am just approaching May 1939, so this might change soon ;)

CharonJr

I think you deserve the award. You are not alone, very few wives understand or have sympathy for the time dedicated historians spend revising history. :)

So your family calls your computing 'weird', haha. You should point them to the fact that more than 60.000 people have viewed your AAR already. Thats more readers than many upstart writers will ever have. So you could call yourself a succesfull writer also. :p

So far the only real issue I had with the current 1.4 beta is the ridiculous waste of Leadership by the Allies influencing tons of minors instead of working on their techs/spies, but I am just approaching May 1939, so this might change soon ;)

CharonJr

I have had that with all versions of 1.3: I just assumed that was WAD - some oway fo keeping the Allies under control. Mostly they influence a small group (2-3) for a couple of days then they stop, a few days later on to another group.

I think you deserve the award. You are not alone, very few wives understand or have sympathy for the time dedicated historians spend revising history. :)

I am glad someone else appreciates the conditions under which I have to work!

So your family calls your computing 'weird', haha. You should point them to the fact that more than 60.000 people have viewed your AAR already. Thats more readers than many upstart writers will ever have. So you could call yourself a succesfull writer also. :p

I thought the "views" was not unique hits, that it was separate hits (ie if you logged on to Paradox, read a few posts, logged off, then logged on again and read a few more, that would be 2 hits) . 60,000 is a lot of unique hits, even over 5 months. If you are right, I feel very humble.

Currently about to unleash WW2 onot the unsuspecting AOD universe: still feels very small and technological advances so quick! Interested to see how combat goes.

But it doesn't replace HOI3. My clerk is champing at the bit to get back in the saddle (to mix a couple of metaphors _ I really feel for non-native English speakers: some of it must be nearly imcomprehensible).

Anyone have a hold over Johan or Paradox as a whole, something that could be used to blackmail them into giving some info on what progress has been made to a release of 1.4? I know they won't give a date, but are they close? Or is there likely to be a RC10? And will the gap between RCs reduce as they get closer? I hope they aren't aiming for perfection: I'll be happy with near enough is good enough.:D

It is now 15 days since RC1 was released: I may be forced to play (and report) a few days just to keep people interested. Unternehmen Stahlknuppel must begin!

Wouldn't worry too much ... remains by far the 'must-read' HOI3 AAR (& I say that as someone whose heart usually sinks at the prospect of reading another German WC AAR)

You're right about the hits, its 60,000 log ons not different people ... but given the relatively small community here abouts - tis very very impressive.

If you're desperate to write for us - why not do a bit of back tracking and have a diary/letter/meeting with one of the brothers at the front from the Polish campaign or the early stages of the war with the Allies?

Anyone have a hold over Johan or Paradox as a whole, something that could be used to blackmail them into giving some info on what progress has been made to a release of 1.4? I know they won't give a date, but are they close? Or is there likely to be a RC10? And will the gap between RCs reduce as they get closer? I hope they aren't aiming for perfection: I'll be happy with near enough is good enough.:D
It is now 15 days since RC1 was released: I may be forced to play (and report) a few days just to keep people interested. Unternehmen Stahlknuppel must begin!

I think it is safe to assume that until at least all the CTD on exit are fixed they will not release the official 1.4. They may give up on fixing the invasion AI or other improvments, but I don't belive they will release a patch with CTD on exit (although the RC fixed my CTD on exist on most of the times).

I think your pretty brave to base a restart on the early RC's :)

Until now the only the most glaring bugs are fixed.
No improvement of overall strategy(RC4).
No functional improvement of the diplo AI so all the world joins the allies including all the neutrals (Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, Ireland should all stay neutral in an average game if not attacked) RC4.
The production AI has been slightly adjusted (unknown effect, RC4).
Japan/China is totally unbalanced (now just the other way, RC4).
I gonna check if USSR still leaves Leningrad open in case of winter war, this happened in the 3 last games of 1.3 (which wont happen in my current test game as Finland joined the allies) or in any other war.
USSR still insist that Murmansk is the best place to build new industry and that its a good idea to convert the entire Kola peninsula into a giant industrial park (on VH at least, RC4).
Tactical AI thinks the word retreat is a town in Russia (RC4).
AI still mills apparently senseless around even in front of openings in the enemy front.

I think it is safe to assume that until at least all the CTD on exit are fixed they will not release the official 1.4. They may give up on fixing the invasion AI or other improvments, but I don't belive they will release a patch with CTD on exit (although the RC fixed my CTD on exist on most of the times).

I crash every other time still on exit.

Wouldn't worry too much ... remains by far the 'must-read' HOI3 AAR (& I say that as someone whose heart usually sinks at the prospect of reading another German WC AAR)

You're right about the hits, its 60,000 log ons not different people ... but given the relatively small community here abouts - tis very very impressive.

If you're desperate to write for us - why not do a bit of back tracking and have a diary/letter/meeting with one of the brothers at the front from the Polish campaign or the early stages of the war with the Allies?

Well. maybe I am not completely altruistic - I am going through withdrawal symptoms after playing nearly every day for 4 months.

I think it is safe to assume that until at least all the CTD on exit are fixed they will not release the official 1.4. They may give up on fixing the invasion AI or other improvments, but I don't believe they will release a patch with CTD on exit (although the RC fixed my CTD on exist on most of the times).

I haven't had a CTD on exit since RC4 - had one every time since RC1. Invasions may be an issue - I don't think Japan did a single invasion when conquering China.

I think your pretty brave to base a restart on the early RC's :)

Until now the only the most glaring bugs are fixed.
No improvement of overall strategy(RC4).
No functional improvement of the diplo AI so all the world joins the allies including all the neutrals (Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, Ireland should all stay neutral in an average game if not attacked) RC4.
The production AI has been slightly adjusted (unknown effect, RC4).
Japan/China is totally unbalanced (now just the other way, RC4).
I gonna check if USSR still leaves Leningrad open in case of winter war, this happened in the 3 last games of 1.3 (which wont happen in my current test game as Finland joined the allies) or in any other war.
USSR still insist that Murmansk is the best place to build new industry and that its a good idea to convert the entire Kola peninsula into a giant industrial park (on VH at least, RC4).
Tactical AI thinks the word retreat is a town in Russia (RC4).
AI still mills apparently senseless around even in front of openings in the enemy front.

I crash every other time still on exit.

You are just seeing my natural impatience coming through. Apparently 15 days is about my limit. Unfortunately, my "patience threshhold" may not be one of Johan's considerations when working out release dates:mad:

I didn't have in mind churning ahead - possibly a day or so.

But I have just looked at USSR - they have about 50 factories listed for production in the Kola area, and nothing else. Could be an issue (though theyt alos have nearly 900 regiments!) Leningrad was open but units railing there (though Finland in Allies).

The most worrying thing for the USSR was leadership - only 71% officers, only enough for about 6 active research projects, only one spy in Russia so Research disruption about 50%.

(I am normally very reluctant to load as other countries - contravenes my innate sense of fair play :eek:)

So maybe I'll wait a while - does the AI ever cancel or defer production orders?

If the next few RCs are really beneficial, then I'll speed play again - I'm sure I can now manage things so I end up really close to the same position but other countries do better.

Well. maybe I am not completely altruistic - I am going through withdrawal symptoms after playing nearly every day for 4 months.

I haven't had a CTD on exit since RC4 - had one every time since RC1. Invasions may be an issue - I don't think Japan did a single invasion when conquering China.

You are just seeing my natural impatience coming through. Apparently 15 days is about my limit. Unfortunately, my "patience threshhold" may not be one of Johan's considerations when working out release dates:mad:

I didn't have in mind churning ahead - possibly a day or so.
Its frustrating to wait but every bug fix, balancing fix makes it worth it.
But I have just looked at USSR - they have about 50 factories listed for production in the Kola area, and nothing else. Could be an issue (though theyt alos have nearly 900 regiments!)
You have to resist taking the area or it will be far to easy to win :)
Leningrad was open but units railing there (though Finland in Allies).

The most worrying thing for the USSR was leadership - only 71% officers, only enough for about 6 active research projects, only one spy in Russia so Research disruption about 50%.
The officers and research is about right and wont get much better anyway.

I nearly fainted when I tried to play Barbarossa as USSR and had 600+ in upgrade and many needed 2-3 upgrades :) but its not fatal due to the large number of units. Also the extra production from the factories come into play here.
(I am normally very reluctant to load as other countries - contravenes my innate sense of fair play :eek:)

So maybe I'll wait a while - does the AI ever cancel or defer production orders?
Nope production is never cancel as far as I know. There is nothing in the scripts saying they should but maybe in the .exe.
If the next few RCs are really beneficial, then I'll speed play again - I'm sure I can now manage things so I end up really close to the same position but other countries do better.

Should not be impossible, I don't know how much you fiddled with diplomacy to try to stop everyone to join the allies, but as Germany you can more or less shape it so that most countries join the allies on the historic dates. The most important things at start is set all allies to increase thread and influence the US for some months.

I thought the "views" was not unique hits, that it was separate hits (ie if you logged on to Paradox, read a few posts, logged off, then logged on again and read a few more, that would be 2 hits) . 60,000 is a lot of unique hits, even over 5 months. If you are right, I feel very humble.
You are right in your assumption, but it's still quite a big audience which you have gathered here.

But it doesn't replace HOI3. My clerk is champing at the bit to get back in the saddle (to mix a couple of metaphors _ I really feel for non-native English speakers: some of it must be nearly imcomprehensible).
No worries :)

Hmm - went into save game and deleted all Russian factories being built in Kola Peninsula except 1.
Ran for 5 days as Germany - loaded as Russia: the one I left is now a series of 7, Kholm building 7 AA in series and somewhere else buidlgn 6 forts

Nothing else.

Noticed RC5, loaded on top of RC4 (I know, I'll do properly tomorrow - it is nearly 11pm here). Tried same exercise: roughly same result.

Russian has 1500MP (needs 2k to mobilise), but is building nothing but a few buidlings, all in fairly useless locations: no planes, no tanks (only has light tank) no troops.

I realise only 1939, but I would have thought something practicable rather than just wasting all its IC. Supplies are always useful:)

PS I only deleted the factories as I though that would return the "fog of war": was trying to help the USSR, not weaken them!

Last edited:
Jeah, the Russian AI does need some improvement, here and there. It often leaves many divisions and HQs without leaders, builds all the wrong units (like paratroopers and battleships) while the Germans are kicking in the door and does not research the right doctrines and techs that it needs (like tanks, arty, CAS and infantry).

So I hope that the Russians will put up a good fight in 1.4!