• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You could as well post it there right away. From a logical point of view, the Danes should not be able to use the harbor installations and being so close to enemy controlled installations should be impossible for them anyway. Any land formation of at least brigade size had it's own artillery attached to it. Granted, it only were few guns and generally of light or medium calibre, but the threat alone would make it impossible for any small ship to remain near the harbor unscathed.

From a game logic perspective, it should be outright impossible to use any installation if another country, which you are at war with, is controlling the province. There seems to be some logic missing reagarding such an event. In HoI2, ships always were forced to leave a port if the province fell to the enemy.

You could as well post it there right away. From a logical point of view, the Danes should not be able to use the harbor installations and being so close to enemy controlled installations should be impossible for them anyway. Any land formation of at least brigade size had it's own artillery attached to it. Granted, it only were few guns and generally of light or medium calibre, but the threat alone would make it impossible for any small ship to remain near the harbor unscathed.

From a game logic perspective, it should be outright impossible to use any installation if another country, which you are at war with, is controlling the province. There seems to be some logic missing reagarding such an event. In HoI2, ships always were forced to leave a port if the province fell to the enemy.

Thanks Baltasar: have followed your advice and listed in Bug Report under:

"Safe haven for ships? Stay in the Frying Pan"

I am sure this not the way the game is supposed to operate.

1936 Germany vanilla 1.3 game. It is 1939 and I am at war with the usual suspects.

I occupy Copenhagen, but Denmark has not been conquered. The Danish fleet, however, is safely holed up in Copenhagen harbour, and has been for some time.

hoi31h.jpg

I could perhaps live with this, although it seems unrealistic.

Why I believe there is a bug is that my naval bombers cannot bomb the ships. Any attempt to do so brings up this screen, with the "accept" button grayed out. I have checked this unit, it is quite prepared tofly to Bruges and bomb the Belgians

hoi32.jpg

It may be that the ships will leave port when Denmark surrenders, but they have shown no indication so far that they will. There were other ships at Bornholm, so they di have another base to go to (in case the Denmark Straits ARE blocked - there seems to be some confusion as to how 1.3 affects control of straits).

Thanks in advance.

Long time lurker finally pitching in. :rofl:
I must say that i really enjoy your AAR. I do feel it could do with a bit more storytelling at this point, if you want to avoid it of becoming a dull summary of battles.
But in all a great effort, it is the only one of the trillion german AAr that i am following.

I have a question concerning the bombing raids, i just started my first game and as Brittain i am now assisting the Polish with bombing the german advance. However at no time i get a number of inflicted casualties. I only see the message that a bombing strike is being done and then another that is has been completed with success but without further detail. you have an idea why this could be? :confused:

Keep it up and to all a happy newyear

Long time lurker finally pitching in. :rofl:
I must say that i really enjoy your AAR. I do feel it could do with a bit more storytelling at this point, if you want to avoid it of becoming a dull summary of battles.
But in all a great effort, it is the only one of the trillion german AAr that i am following.

I have a question concerning the bombing raids, i just started my first game and as Brittain i am now assisting the Polish with bombing the german advance. However at no time i get a number of inflicted casualties. I only see the message that a bombing strike is being done and then another that is has been completed with success but without further detail. you have an idea why this could be? :confused:

Keep it up and to all a happy newyear

Thanks alamric. I have to agree with you, I need a bit more narrative rather than description, there just seems to be so much going on. Remember I am new at this! :).

As for the bombing, I noticed that I got casualty details of Hungarian bombing raids. This leads me to suspect that you only get casualty reports if you have troops adjacent to the bombing area to sight the results. If anyone has any other view, please don't hold back!

Rank and File
A Clerk’s War​

22nd June to 24th June 1939

Welcome news to start the day – General Ott’s ambush in Plock has broken the back of the 29th Infantry Divison, and Dworak has ordered a full retreat. Neither side took many casualties; we lost only 47 while the Poles lost 62. More evidence that the Poles are no longer capable of the bitter resistance that they put up in the first few weeks of the war.

However, not all was plain sailing for General Ott. As his men crossed the Wistula and moved east, they ran into another Polish division, 44 Dywizjon Piechoty (Reserwa), led by Wolkowicki. We have a section whose task it is to keep track of the various combat formations that our troops encounter, and according to them, this division has been in more battles than any other Polish unit. While experienced, it has never had a chance to recover fully, and Ott has hardly slowed his advance in response.

plockfinal.jpg

Second Battle of Plock

General Hell may not be so fortunate. As part of the Osterreich Army’s accelerated drive east, his 6th Gebirgsjager Division is attacking the Polish General Rommel in Tarnow. While the flat country does allow faster movement, it means the mountain troops lose the advantage they normally have when operating in more hilly country. Rommel has only one division (15th) and his Armia Poznan headquarters troops, but they have entrenched well and are fairly well organised.

tarnowfinal.jpg

Battle of Tarnow

The radio waves between here and Plock are really humming: Ott has been back in contact to inform us that the slight delay caused by 44 DP (Rez) is over. It cost him only 3 men to convince Wolkowski to turn and run. Only 5 Poles were confirmed dead.

Part of the reason for Ott’s success was the assistance of Grauert’s 4th Taktischeluftflotte. They have been continuously bombing a route in front of his advance, making his job much easier. The Poles finally responded, luckily when it was too late. Three brigades of fighters attacked the Heinkels as they returned to base, but there are no reports of any planes being lost.

There is an air of excitement in the Kanzlei today as we realise how close we are getting to the Polish capital. Surely it can only be a few days before we reach Warszawa? On the afternoon of 22nd Ludke commenced the assault of Kutno, perhaps 50 kilometres from the city. Numbers are about equal, with two divisions on each side. But once again, our troops are well rested and equipped, while the Poles have been under attack constantly and have not had a break to reorganise. The military men here predict that General Ludke will quickly prevail, though the Vistula River looping across the province may cause him some problems.

kutnofinal.jpg

Battle of Kutno

Development of a new training for our bomber pilots should improve the way we interdict supplies and movement in the rear areas, though as far as I can see the Luftwaffe has been concentrating on direct attacks on enemy troops. We also completed a program for improved tactical air command, which should reduce loss of organisation during air missions, whether ground attack or interdiction.

Responding to recent events in the west, the researchers have been assigned to two new projects. The first is to assist our fighters with a better ground control system, able to use our new radar stations more effectively. The second is to develop new tactics to allow our generals a better chance of delaying enemy attacks. The Poles and French have used such tactics against us and we could have benefitted with a better ability to slow down an attacker. A bonus is that out headquarters troops will be able to contribute a bit more to any fight in which they become involved.

wurzburgfinal.jpg

Ground crew operators of our radar facilities will be better trained to relay information to fighter command, leading to much more efficient use of our planes

Early in the morning of the 23rd the Foreign Office made an announcement: due to tanker losses we are breaking two trade agreements for crude oil purchases from Persia. That at least is the official version, but documents that passed my way show that the real reason is that we are running low on foreign currency and what there is will be reserved to pay for oil from the USA. It is much more important for us to keep the Americans happy than the Persians.

I don’t know what it is about General Ott, but the Poles certainly don’t want to leave him alone. His 3.Infanterie (motorised) had hardly occupied Plock when he was under attack, this time from Werobej’s 39 Dywizjon Piechoty. As he reported, it was more a nuisance than a serious attempt to recapture the province, but one can detect a trace of annoyance in his brief message.

plock3final.jpg

Third Battle of Plock

The rest of the 23rd was relatively quiet. Von Both claimed victory in Ostroleka but he possibly spoke too soon, as within hours the 68.Infanterie radio operator was back on air. The way forward was blocked by another Polish division (36 DP (Rez)) and the general had amended his estimate of time to clear the province by a day or so. So far we have lost 130 men in Ostraleka, but the Poles have lost 409. We need to secure this province in order to prepare for the assault on Warszawa, so many people hear are following von Both’s reports with interest. (In fact, I believe that General Blomberg is taking a personal interest, as the Fuhrer is very upset at events on the Westwall and keeps asking when the counter-attack will take place. The quicker the Poles surrender, the quicker troops will be released for the west).

ostrolekafinal.jpg

Second Battle of Ostroleka

Impressive results for new naval bombing techniques were presented by the Luftwaffe training development school. Our naval bombers will benefit by using the new naval tactics, which will speed up recovery after port and naval strike missions. The research report, however, points out that we are still years behind the other major powers in this area, so the team has received further funding to keep improving our tactics.

Our diplomats have been expecting the Hungarians to start to use their contribution to the war effort for economic leverage, so they were not surprised to recieve a very polite letter asking if we could assist their armed forces by providing military supplies. What was a surprise was that the Hungarians offered to pay, and in foreign currency! Of course we accepted immediately. This will help pay the Boston oil companies to keep the oil tankers running. Our trade experts are amazed that the British have not sunk more of our ships but they are not complaining. Every shipload of oil is precious, as we are now using a lot of fuel and soon we expect to start dipping into our reserves.

General Hell may be a better politician (and general) than expected. Did he over-emphasise the difficulties he expected in Tarnow? We shall probably never know. But he was showered with praise when he reported that Tarnow is ours. His casualty list is a bit longer than the experts here thought reasonable, so maybe he took a few risks. In any case, to take a province for only 199 casualties, while his numerically superior opponent took 315, is a good result in any event. And to do it in a day or so was what has won him kudos.

gebirgs.jpg

Men of 6th Gebirgsjager with an Infanteriegeschutz 18, preparing to fire over open sights at the Poles in Tarnow. Aggressive action such as this led to the rapid collapse of 15th Infantry Division and Armia Poznan headquarters.

Nobody has said as much, but I am getting the impression that OKH has been putting pressure on commanders in the north to move towards Warszawa. We seem to be getting a lot of movement orders from the Army of East Prussia in particular. Early on the 24th we heard that another attack to regain Johannisburg has begun. Hanicke is using 29.Infanterie (motorised) from Sensburg and 50.Infanterie from Lotzen to hit Prich’s 1st Infantry Division and Krakowska Brigada Kavalerii on two fronts. As usual in the north, the Poles are at full strength, well organised and have spent the past days digging trenches and clearing fire zones in the forests. While Hanicke is very positive about his chances of success, he is careful to refer to the expected high cost in casualties in attacking a well prepared enemy in terrain that does not allow the Luftwaffe to operate effectively.

johannisburgfianl.jpg

Battle of Johannisburg

The Armee de l’Air is again trying to block our bombers, and Lohr’s Stukas are taking a battering over Saarlouis. Though the Ju 79B is a fairly robust aircraft, it cannot be expected to hold off modern fighters. Lohr is very insistent that without fighter cover he cannot continue his mission.

The Kriegsmarine has also made a rare report. While providing shore bombardment to support the attack on Sonderborg, a Danish submarine flotilla was detected in the Balts. There was a brief flurry of activity (nobody wants to lose a capital ship to a lucky torpedo) and soon our Zerstorer flotillas were able to announce that the threat had been removed: permanently.

zerstorer.jpg

Zerstorer “Richard Beitzen” claimed to have sunk one of the Danish submarines.

The last significant report for the day was a complete surprise. All the military analysts here had warned that the Battle of Allenstein was likely to be long and bloody. Not one briefing note or letter of advice had indicated anything other than a brutal slog through the forests, with a determined enemy making us pay dearly for every metre. Nobody told General Himmler. He has defeated Kruszewski’s two divisions, inflicting 2,721 casualties, and has liberated the province in a matter of days, all for loss of 887 men. Half the military here were stunned, the other half overjoyed. (Political affiliation probably has something to do with how each person reacted: Himmler is known to be a fanatical Party man). Some people who have an intense dislike of Himmler were muttering that perhaps the Poles were weaker than our intelligence thought, but that is probably sour grapes. Whatever the basis for the success, it was a great way to finish the day.

I quickly organised the Luftwaffe bombing summaries and Heer position reports and headed out: several officers were putting on drinks to celebrate General Himmler’s victory and with wartime restrictions in place I am not going to miss a single free drink. I am saving my private cache of pre-war treasures!

Bombing summary

22nd June

Plock: Gruaert with 2 x He 111: 109, 75
Allenstein: Kesselring with 4 x Ju 87B: 97, 97, 63
Saarlouis: Lohr with 2 x Ju 87B: 63
Pirmasens: Sperrle with 1 x Bf 109G, 2 x He 111: 90, 160, 151, 109
Rypin: Muller-Michiels with 2 x He 111: 79, 119, 99
Saarlouis: Dorstling with 1 x Bf 109G, 2 x He 111, 2 x Ju 87B: 137, 131, 137
Allenstein: Kitzinger with 2 x He 111: 97
Ostroleka: Muller-Michiels with 2 x He 111: 128, 51
Tarnow: Keller with 2 x He 111: 119, 119

23rd June

Allenstein: Kesselring with 4 x Ju 87B: 80, 92, 111, 97
Saarlouis: Lohr with 2 x Ju 87B: 56
Pirmasens: Sperrle with 1 x Bf 109G, 2 x He 111: 93, 141, 106, 99
Grajewo: Kitzinger with 2 x He 111: 105, 119, 114
Saarlouis: Dorstling with 1x Bf 109G, 2 x He 111, 2 x Ju 87B: 148, 126, 128
Rypin: Muller-Michiels with 2 x He 111: 84, 133, 43

24th June

Kutno: Kesselring with 4 x Ju 87B, 2 x He 111: 119, 137, 125, 58
Saarlouis: Lohr with 2 x Ju 87B: 50, 75, 59, 43
Pirmasens: Sperrle with 1 x Bf 109G, 2 x He 111: 123, 119, 137, 104
Allenstein: Kitzinger with 2 x He 111: 145, 106

fallweiss256finalend.jpg

Fall Weiss at end of 24th June

General List’s end of day report says that the Poles in Rypin are finished. 39 Dywizjon Piechoty was caught while it was marshalling for an attack on Ott’s 3.Infanterie (motorised) in Plock and has completely fallen apart. General Werobej has lost control of the battle and List expects to be moving soon after midnight. As a result, the Battle of Plock is effectively over.

Von Salmuth is feeling more confident in Grajewo, having encircled some of the Poles in the forests. If 60.infanterie can join the battle from Lyck, the general believes he can finally defeat Norwid-Neugebauer.

Von Both and his 68.Infanterie have shocked 36 Dywizjon Piechoty in Ostroleka, but his information is that the enemy are in good order and are not likely to break. His estimate is that the battle will continue for several days unless he receives substantial reinforcements. The situation in Johannisburg is similar: the Poles are resisting strongly and will have to be forced out of their defensive positions.

According to General Ludke, we should get a victory in Kutno sometime tomorrow. Our troops are across the Vistula and the Poles appear to be cracking.

westwall256finalend.jpg

Westwall at end of 24th June

The final reports from the west are non-committal. Neither commander is willing to state that he will liberate the territory he is attacking, and both refer to stubborn resistance and known French reserves are moving to the front. With my experience of reading reports over the years, both generals are preparing the ground for bad news.

alps256final.jpg

French-Italian border at end of 24th June

General Messe has occupied Barcelonnette in strength, with at least 3 full divisions, 2 of them Alpini. Given the hilly terrain, it would seem very unlikely that the French will shift him in a hurry, particularly as the Regia Aeronautica is in complete control of the air space over the area.

fiatcr42final.jpg

Antiquated but still apparently effective: Italian Cr 42 bi-planes over French territory.

Another very good day, another cheerful group leaving the Kanzlei. The only one who seems to have any doubts that we are winning the war easily is me. I just have a nagging suspicion that we have overlooked something. But everyone tells me I am just being an old misery, and maybe they are right. What could possibly go wrong?

Last edited:
A surprise indeed, especially when this can be called a resounding victory.

Any reason why there are fewer bombing runs?
22nd: 21 runs
23rd: 18 runs
24th: 14 runs

snip

It may be that the ships will leave port when Denmark surrenders, but they have shown no indication so far that they will. There were other ships at Bornholm, so they di have another base to go to (in case the Denmark Straits ARE blocked - there seems to be some confusion as to how 1.3 affects control of straits).

Thanks in advance.

Seems to me you shoulld own some additional ships. I never have understood how fleets just sail away after you take a province. It takes time to get up to power, get everyone aboard and haul ass. If the fleet is in port when you capture the province, you ought to have a chence at capturing it, or part of it.

Himmler is doing well as a military commander. What a surprise!

Yes, he doesn't have any special abilities but seems to keep pulling off unusual wins. I suppose it is just statistical randomness, but as humans we just have to have a reason! Probably the fact that his name is easily recognisable means I notice his wins more.

A surprise indeed, especially when this can be called a resounding victory.

Any reason why there are fewer bombing runs?
22nd: 21 runs
23rd: 18 runs
24th: 14 runs

Probably have to recover org.:confused:

I haven't checked, but I agree that recovering organisation was the first explanation I came up with. I have noticed two other things that impact. If interceptors hit the bombers they tend to remain at base a bit longer, presumably to recover strength. And if the bombers have a long way to fly the mission they do less every day. This is very noticeable when the all bombers fly at the same time at the beginning of the day, but gradually the times drift.

What makes the difference more noticeable is that missions are reset at the end of each day, so if a mission has been delayed enough, it won't occur that day. This means that we get a "plateau" effect, rather than a gradual change.

Seems to me you shoulld own some additional ships. I never have understood how fleets just sail away after you take a province. It takes time to get up to power, get everyone aboard and haul ass. If the fleet is in port when you capture the province, you ought to have a chence at capturing it, or part of it.

I would like that, both from a realism and a "role-play" perspective, but I suspect that there may be some complications in changing the code to make it work.

But it is a very long time since I did any programming, so I am more than likely wrong. If it could be done without much difficulty, I would love it. Imagine capturing the British Home Fleet!

Rank and File
A Clerk’s War​

25th June to 27th June

The feeling of apprehension remained with me overnight, giving me a restless sleep. I told myself to pull myself together, treated myself to a cup of real coffee from my dwindling supply and set off for work.

When I examined the documents delivered before dawn, there was nothing to support my feeling unease. The Luftwaffe continues to bomb overnight, even though the results are far less than daylight missions. I have heard some of the Ministry of Armaments officials complaining bitterly about the waste of bombs, fuel and spare parts, but my sources in OKH tell me that they don’t care about the expense: every enemy hit by a Luftwaffe bomb is one they don’t have to face behind a gun barrel. And you don’t have to be very perspicacious to see what the pecking order is in Cabinet now. During the preparation years Minister Schacht may have had the Fuhrer’s ear, but now that the guns are firing, General Blomberg has far more influence.

There was an interesting note from the Benelux Army. “As per instructions from the Minister” 50.Infanterie has been detached from XI Armeekorps in the Benelux Army and assigned to General Halder’s 1st Marinekorps. So Bottcher’s problems in Denmark have prompted him to go to the top! He has been complaining that he has no support in his attack on Sonderborg – now they have effectively given him another division. While it will win him this battle, it won’t make him popular with his fellow generals. But Herbert Bottcher has never sought popularity and his membership of the NDSAP since 1933 will make anyone think twice before they say anything openly.

The attached order showed that General Bottcher was not wasting time: General Heinemann has been told to move north immediately and to make every effort to force the Danes to combat.

nimbus20mmfinal.jpg

The Danish Defence Budget was small, but they made up for it with ingenuity: these “Nimbus” anti-tank motorcycles have destroyed several of our armoured cars.

While it is a formality, General Ott has claimed victory in Plock. He generously acknowledged it had little to do with him, that List’s attack on the rear of Werobej’s 39 Dywizjon Piechoty meant that the battle was over before it began. Still, it will go down as another triumph for Ott, who is developing a reputation for quick, cheap victories. Only 110 men lost this time, against Polish losses of 437.

The Kriegsmarine has become annoyed with the Danes. It was bad enough when they sunk several of our tankers, but the attempt by a submarine flotilla to interfere in the operations of the Nordseeflotte has touched a raw nerve. Grossadmiral Raeder has ordered our naval bombers to seek out the Danes and bomb their ships to the bottom. “Condors” are on their way to the island of Bornholm now, where we have discovered a group of Polish and Danish ships. Conditions are not perfect, with 64% cloud cover and rain predicted for about half the time, but Air General Zander says that it will be good practice for his men.

bornholmfinal.jpg

To prevent more Danish attacks on our shipping, bombers have been sent to the small port on Bornholm Island. This is unfortunate for what is left of the Polish Navy, which was sheltering there. The lack of Danish targets will not stop our bomber pilots from carrying out their mission.

Unfortunately the bomber commanders have informed the Kriegsmarine that Danish ships in Copenhagen itself are too close to our own forces and installations to be successfully attacked. We will have to work out another way to remove Admiral Hammerich and his light cruisers. As a result, Major General Stumpff has taken his planes to destroy the naval facilities at Aalborg.

fw200condorginal.jpg

A Fw 200C “Condor” with the crew receiving final instructions before their first port attack

It didn’t take long for General List to file his own victory report. Rypin is ours, though the price was high. We leave 879 men on the battlefield, while the Poles lost almost double that: 1776. The General blames the high casualty rate on the Poles continuously reinforcing with fresh troops, turning a simple mopping up exercise into a real battle.

A real battle began at 9AM when General Nehring crossed the Vistula into Mlawa, north of Warszawa. There are at least four Polish divisions in the area, although our information is that they are completely disorganised. Nehring recognises that the forests will slow his tanks but he doesn’t think the Poles will be able to put up much of a fight against the 1st Panzer Division, which is in peak condition. A quick victory here would definitely raise spirits as it would bring us within sight of the buildings on the Warszawa escarpment.

mlawafinal.jpg

Battle of Mlawa

Stumpff reports that the bombing of Aalborg is underway, and that the base and the associated anti-air installation are already severely damaged. He will keep his planes flying until the port is completely unusable.

The French have sent bombers to Bitburg to disrupt our attack on Saarlouis, but Christiansen is onto them. Seven fighter geschwader are over the battlefield and Valin’s bombers are already fleeing. On the other side of Germany, however, Pawlikowski’s bombers continue to attack us in Suwalki.

Late that night my premonitions of impending disaster seemed to come true. General Juin has sent five infantry divisions together with a light armour division into Saarbrucken, held by von Roques’ 46.Infanterie Division. It could have been worse: our reconnaissance planes tell us that a motorised division is stuck in the rear of the French attack, unable to move forward as the roads are too clogged with advancing troops. Karl von Roques has just over 9,000 men, and he is facing nearly 65,000. His initial report is quite methodical and unemotional, as befits a 59 year old Iron Cross winning veteran of the last war, but I wonder what he is really thinking?

saarbruckenfinal.jpg

Battle of Saarbrucken

A midnight message: the Poles have evacuated Kutno. (No, I wasn’t still at my desk, I was fast asleep at home. But all documents are time stamped when they come in, and General Ludke’s report was waiting for my signature when I arrived in the morning). A hard fought win, and the Poles pulled back with their dignity intact. We lost nearly 5% of our force (891 out of 20,000) while the Poles lost less than 4% (741 out of 26,412). The sooner this war in the east is over the better, we are losing men faster than they can be replaced.

Those were my thoughts before I picked up the next report. My hand shook as I absorbed the impact of what I was reading. A victory, but at what cost? We have retaken Pirmasens, and 3,746 of our men died in doing so. The French lost even more (3,837) but that was no consolation. My mind went back to the last war, the newspapers with their daily lists of dead and missing. I had hoped those days would never return, but reading the dry, factual pages of von Brockdorff-Ahledorff’s report, it all came back to me. What have we started? Will we once again become inured to having thousands of our young men die every day?

And what did they die for? Within hours the French counter-attacked. They sent a tank division (the incongruously named 46th Infantry) against 69.Infanterie Division, and soon our troops were pulling back and another 25 German soldiers were dead. French casualties were low (54 dead) and our battle report was that several fresh French divisions were moving up. This won’t be the last blood spilt for Pirmasens.

pirmasensfinal.jpg

Battle of Pirmasens

I was quite depressed all morning, and was not cheered up by news that Guderian was attacking Zdunska Wola in strength, even though this seemed to delight the rest of the Kanzlei staff. With two Leichte Panzer divisions attacking from Sieradz and a motorised infantry division from Wielun, “Fast Heinz” should make short work of Genral Kleebing’s two shaky divisions. Still, Kleebing has been known to pull off a trick or two, so let’s not get count our chickens before they are hatched.

zdunskawolafinal.jpg

Battle of Zdunska Wola

Although I predicted more fighting in Pirmasens, I wasn’t pleased to be proven correct. Late on the 26th, General Heunert advanced his 61.Infanterie into the province, but immediately came under a ferocious attack from 3 full infantry divisions. Another infantry division plus an armoured division are rumoured to be in the area. I fear another horrifying casualty list is in the making.

pirmasens2final.jpg

Battle of Pirmasens

The morning of the 27th saw another of our western provinces lost to the French. General von Roques had no chance against the weight of the French attack. He was lucky, I suppose, to keep his losses to 700, but it is still another severe blow. The French lost only 198. It is not only the immediate military loss, but also the fact that Saarbrucken contained many factories, mines and agricultural assets, as well as several large population centres that provided recruiting centres for both the Wehrmacht and our universities. Our whole economy and technological structure will be affected.

The heavy casualty reports continued. Von Salmuth has taken Grajewo, but it took the lives of 2,143 of his men to do so. The Poles lost more (3101) and must surely be reaching the end of their manpower reserves. I t doesn’t seem to worry their generals, as Strzelecki’s 22 Dywizjon Piechoty (a mountain division) has hit von Salmuth’s 52.Infanterie as it marched along the narrow forest roads. Von Salmuth is worried that his men are exhausted by the heavy fighting and may not be able to resist the attack by fresh troops. Considering the price we paid for this province, it would be heartbreaking to lose it so quickly.

grajewofinal.jpg

Battle of Grajewo

The Polish air force is active again, with bombing attacks in Grajewo and Suwalki. Our Luftwaffe liaison officer believes that the Polish commander, Pawlikowski , is changing his targets constantly to make it harder for our fighters to intercept him. In a way this benefits us, as any damage is spread over several units, but it does mean that we have to suffer constant losses.

At least Mlawa is ours. General Nehring has exceeded expectations by routing four divisions in just over a day. The Poles are apparently fleeing for the safety of Warszawa, but the tanks of 1st Panzer Division are already moving forward, with several divisions of infantry close behind. The Polish capital is within sight of our leading reconnaissance patrols.

pz3e5pdfinal.jpg

One of General Nehring’s Panzers, presumably pleased that the forest battle is over and the road to Warszawa is open

Von Sodenstern in Lyck is complaining that now Polish bombers are attacking his troops, but his report attracted little attention as it arrived simultaneously with a much more interesting (and positive) message: Barckhausen has commenced the assault of Lodz!

He has only one division able to participate (at the moment) but the defenders are considered to be on the verge of collapse and Backhausen’s view is that we will have the city within hours. This will have a major impact on Polish morale and will push them closer to surrender. We have already captured Danzig and Krakow, and the Hungarians hold Lwow. When Warszawa falls the Poles will have lost virtually every important industrial, cultural and political centre, and the will to fight must be severely weakened.

lodzfinal.jpg

Battle of Lodz

Despite the more positive news at the end of the day, the awful losses in the west weighed heavily on me. With all the excitement and confidence of the past few years since the New Year’s Day conference, I had forgotten that placing the Reich back in its rightful place in Europe would come with a heavy price tag, a price to be paid in the lives of our young men.

Bombing summary

Luftwaffe

25th June

Saarlouis: Dorstling with 1 x Bf 109G, 2 x He 111: 94, 108, 127, 126
Rypin: Muller-Michiels with 2 x He 111: 87, 116
Kutno: Kesselring with 4 x Ju 87B: 97, 80, 99, 51
Ostroleka: Kitzinger with 2 x He 111: 123
Mlawa: Kitzinger with 2 x He 111: 125

Armee de l’Air

Bitburg: Valin with 1 x Groupe de Bombardement: Intercepted by our fighter and no damage suffered

Polish Air Force

Suwalki: Pawlikowski with 1 x Dywizjon Bombowy: 26

26th June

Luftwaffe

Pirmasens: Dorstling with 1 x 109G, 2 x He 111: 98
Saarlouis: Sperrle with 1 x Bf 109G, 2 x He 111: 107, 120, 147, 121
Mlawa: Grauert with 2 x He 111: 179, 174, 137, 87

27th June

Luftwaffe

Mlawa: Kesselring with 4 x Ju 87B: 80, 112, 117
Zdunska Wola: Muller-Michiels with 2 x He 111: 100, 109, 67
Saarlouis: Dorstling with 1 x Bf 109G, 2 x He 111: 128, 98
Mlawa: Kitzinger with 2 x He 111: 123
Ostroleka: Grauert with 2 x He 111: 89
Saarlouis: Sperrle with 2 x Bf 109G, 4 x He 111: 81
Lodz: Kesselring with 4 x Ju 87B: 60

stukaju87bombingoldtown.jpg

One of Kesselring’s Ju 87B “Stukas” over Lodz.

Polish Air Force

Suwalki: Pawlikowski with 1 x Dywizjon Bombowy: 27, 33
Grajewo: Pawlikowski with 1 x Dywizjon Bombowy: 38
Lyck: Pawlikowski with 1 x Dywizjon Bombowy: 21

fallweiss276finalend.jpg

Fall Weiss at end of 27th June

Von Both’s Battle of Ostroleka has taken a turn for the better with 3.Infanterie Division joining the attack from Allenstein. His report is now sure of victory, as the Poles have not managed to reinforce the single division opposing him.

Nobody can understand how the Poles are still resisting in Zdunska Wola. Guderian’s report states that prisoners taken have lost the will to fight, and that General Keebing’s 9 Dywizjon Piechoty has long since fled. Another division blocked the way but it too is barely able to fight, but still General Mond refuses to concede defeat. Victory, according to the report, is only hours away.

Prich’s troops in Johannisburg are suffering from the shock of our attacks, and it seems to be taking its toll on their morale. Perhaps we will regain the province a bit sooner than expected.

Our possession of Grajewo will be only temporary. Strzlecki’s mountaineers have achieved a breakthrough and von Salmuth’s men have reached the limit of their resistance. He warns that he will need to order a withdrawal soon if he does not receive assistance.

westwall276finalend.jpg

Westwall at end of 27th June

Heunert is stalling making the inevitable decision to abandon Pirmasens. He claims he wants to hold until reinforcements arrive, but the Westwall Army has no fresh troops available. Muller is bogged down in Saarlouis. He was the wrong man to command such an attack that needed swift and daring decisions. It looks as if it may become another bloodbath.

alps276final.jpg

Italian-French border at end of 27th June

madsen20mm.jpg

The Danes continue to fight with what they have available. Unfortunately we have no armour units on the Jutland peninsula so these locally manufactured 20mm Madsen anti-aircraft guns are effective weapons against our vehicles.

While a position map of Fall Rache was not available, Bottcher reports from Sonderborg that since 50.Infanterie launched its attack, Danish resistance has faltered and he intends to completely defeat them within a day or so. The Danish will to fight has amazed everyone, and their tenacity has stopped even our elite Sturm Marines. Despite their courage, however, they will have to acknowledge the impossibility of their position.

Last edited:
Oh no, Saarbruecken has fallen. Clearly, the Fuhrer must be raving mad by now.

The Hungarians are grabbing quite a lot of provinces from the Polish backyard. I just hope that Poland surrenders to Germany as the leader of the Axis. Which VP provinces are still in Polish hands, except for Warszawa?

The Italians seem to be content with the one province they got, although they seem to outnumber the French quite a bit. I wonder if they'll get their act together.

With an incredibly weakened Japan that has been humiliated in China, do you think that that such a nation would actually launch Pearl Harbor? If Japan doesn't do that, then you won't have to worry about the Americans, making the European war a little easier.

I could not sleep last night, so I read through this whole AAR until 7 AM (glad I'm on leave at the moment) :)

I think this is excellent! It's instructive and very entertaining, too.
I am still struggling with my first HOI3 game -- trying to get to know the game mechanics and most of the times restarting in '38 or '39 -- so this gives me quite a lot of useful information for my own games. Thanks for sharing!

Oh no, Saarbruecken has fallen. Clearly, the Fuhrer must be raving mad by now.

The Hungarians are grabbing quite a lot of provinces from the Polish backyard. I just hope that Poland surrenders to Germany as the leader of the Axis. Which VP provinces are still in Polish hands, except for Warszawa?

The Italians seem to be content with the one province they got, although they seem to outnumber the French quite a bit. I wonder if they'll get their act together.

He is not happy, but things get worse very soon!

Lodz is still Polish (just), as are Warszawa and Grodno. Lwow is held by the Hungarians. While th eHungarians hold a lot of territory, I think most of it will become Russian. I am not usre where the new border will be, but I am not as worried now as I was, as I think the Poles should surrender within a week or so.

It's a bit hard to work out what the Italians are up to. They moved pretty quickly initially, but have now paused. They do seem to have attracted some extra French units which is why I invited them!

With an incredibly weakened Japan that has been humiliated in China, do you think that that such a nation would actually launch Pearl Harbor? If Japan doesn't do that, then you won't have to worry about the Americans, making the European war a little easier.

Japan lost about a third of its army in China, but more worrying is the loss of its rare materials supplies. It has zero stocks of RM and only 1 fuel. Very little cash. Production is only at 75%, I suspect from lack of RM.

So while the fleet is intact, it is unlikely to grow much and can't really operate long unless they get fuel. I just don't know how the AI will handle this. A human player would save as much fuel as possible and then gamble on an attack on NEI. If Japan did that, wouldn't it bring the USA to the brink of war? I hope the AI won't just sit and sulk for the whole game.

Anyway, I am still influencing USA with my scarce diplomatic points, as while there is any risk of it intervening inthe next year or so I see it as the best investment. While I would love to get Rumania or Finland, they are not as important as preventing the US hitting me before I have the USSR under control.

I could not sleep last night, so I read through this whole AAR until 7 AM (glad I'm on leave at the moment) :)

I think this is excellent! It's instructive and very entertaining, too.
I am still struggling with my first HOI3 game -- trying to get to know the game mechanics and most of the times restarting in '38 or '39 -- so this gives me quite a lot of useful information for my own games. Thanks for sharing!

For a second I thought my AAR was so gripping you couldn't sleep!:rolleyes:

Luckily I realised it was insomnia that kept you awake, not my deathless prose! Thank you for the comments, and I am glad you find it instructive, but I should point out one thing.

I am not, and have never claimed to be, an expert at the game. I play for fun, so you see many things in my AAR that are definitely not the best choice. My divisional structure is not maximised, my research program is far too broad, I spend too much on navy (for Germany) etc.

Also, I made a decision to allow the AI to fight the battles, and let me run the war. A good human player would, I am sure, have polished off the Polish (I've been waiting to use that - the only English word that changes pronunciation depending on whether it is used with a capital letter or not!) more quickly and without the problems I have had.

But, having said all that, I did hope new players would find my AAR useful, if only to alert them of useful things to consider when making decisions.

Don' t worry about re-starting: every time Paradox release a game I dive straight in and make a complete mess of things (I blush when I think of my futile attempts to create a Saxon Empire in Victoria). I find it the best way to learn, although in reality I would do it anyway.

So enjoy yourself and thankyou once again: it takes a lot to write an AAR and we all like toget feedback (and positive feedback is even better!)