• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EB14

Second Lieutenant
41 Badges
Jan 24, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense

Information​

I have verifed my game files (Steam only)​

Yes

I have disabled all mods​

Yes

I am running the latest game update​

Yes

Required​

Summary​

Random Crashes when I click on a character portrait

Description​

The game is crashing when I click on a character portrait. I have also noticed that the game hangs slightly when I do some kind of special map interaction, especially when I station men-at-arms but not sure if this is related or not. The game crashes after clicking on a portrait, usually within 30 minutes to an hour of playtime. I am able to relaunch the game and reload the last save point without issue, but the problem is reoccurring on a fairly consistent basis.

I am not able to submit a bug report after the crash.

Steps to reproduce​

1) Click on a portrait of vassal, family member, random character. 2. Game crashes.

Game Version​

Platform​

Mac

Additional Information​

Affected Feature​

• Crashes

Save Game​

View attachment autosave.ck3

Other Attachments​

View attachment debug.log

• 15Like
Reactions:
Paradox is a rip off. They don't have the balls to come on to their own forums to see what players are having issues with. Paradox leaves their little minions to take the brunt of the BS players like me and other dish out. Paradox needs a good lawsuit to set them straight.

Paradox just keeps strolling along throwing out DLC not caring about those who can't play their game they've spent a lot of their own hard money on. Must be nice .

As we head towards April of 2024 I and others are still waiting on Paradox to fix the constant crash issues on Windows that have been around since early December 2023.

Reactions:
Paradox is a rip off. They don't have the balls to come on to their own forums to see what players are having issues with. Paradox leaves their little minions to take the brunt of the BS players like me and other dish out. Paradox needs a good lawsuit to set them straight.

Paradox just keeps strolling along throwing out DLC not caring about those who can't play their game they've spent a lot of their own hard money on. Must be nice .

As we head towards April of 2024 I and others are still waiting on Paradox to fix the constant crash issues on Windows that have been around since early December 2023.
It seems there is a thread about CTD on Windows: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/constant-random-crashes-since-update-1-10.1598115/

So maybe it will be more useful to add your voice here. You can't hope the dev can fix a bug without the info about it.

Reactions:
I just wanted to add here, since I've posted a few times, that the beta and then the latest patch seems to have resolved this issue for me, at long last. I've had multiple long play sessions on my Mac since the beta was released and then the patch and I haven't had a single ctd. Thank you all so much for helping keep this thread active, helping trouble shoot (it was not within my skill set lolol) and for being so persistent in getting the devs' attention. You're all the best.

Reactions:
I just wanted to add here, since I've posted a few times, that the beta and then the latest patch seems to have resolved this issue for me, at long last. I've had multiple long play sessions on my Mac since the beta was released and then the patch and I haven't had a single ctd. Thank you all so much for helping keep this thread active, helping trouble shoot (it was not within my skill set lolol) and for being so persistent in getting the devs' attention. You're all the best.
I just played in the latest patch yet I still crashed. Always when playing Portugal btw. I don't know why. Castile lasts longers but I still crash eventually.

Reactions:
CPU: M1
RAM: 16GB
ck3: 1.12.3

After the character dies, the game crashes after clicking Continue.
On the mac test branch, there is no crash problem.

Attachments

• ck3_20240321_214319.zip
    20,3 MB · Views: 0
  • autosave_1.ck3
    95,3 MB · Views: 0
  • autosave_2.ck3
    94,7 MB · Views: 0
  • autosave.ck3
    95,8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Can confirm for me the bug is also fixed on Mac. Just played for a couple of hours, click on portrait that would have previously crashed (probably) no longer crashes. No crashes at all in the 114 minutes (according to Steam) I played tonight.

Thank you for the fix.

I'm on Linux. Came back to the game after a few months with my mind on buying a new dlc and it is just unplayable to me. It tends to freeze either on the first load screen or when I click the "choose a ruler from the map button". The thing is, if I roll it back to 1.10.2 it works like a charm. As a CK2 veteran who used to love this company I'm just bitterly disappointed... I don't even want to touch any of the shiny new sequels, to be honest, I'll find something else to spend myy time and money with

I'm on Linux. Came back to the game after a few months with my mind on buying a new dlc and it is just unplayable to me. It tends to freeze either on the first load screen or when I click the "choose a ruler from the map button". The thing is, if I roll it back to 1.10.2 it works like a charm. As a CK2 veteran who used to love this company I'm just bitterly disappointed... I don't even want to touch any of the shiny new sequels, to be honest, I'll find something else to spend myy time and money with
does the macos branch not resolve issues for linux players?

Could you please attach your save file and log? This can help the devs diagnose the issue :)

Its the Intel CPU bug. I tested my CPU with everything: Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool all Test passed, Intel ETU AVX Stress-Test passed, CineBench and all other Games ...no crashes. Yet in CK3 I crash, unless I downclock my CPU.

Something in CK3 is wrong if most new Intel CPUs crash at Stock-Speeds.

Last edited:
I can't promise this will fix your particular problem, but do check whether you have Vulkan enabled and then Steam has rebuilt the shaders. It seems that in recent versions the OpenGL renderer is deprecated but not disabled (for the benefit of people like you running earlier versions, I suspect). I had major graphical errors and crashes until I realized this was the problem.

Reactions:
Okay, I finally managed to get it to work, but it's still wonky. The latest patch fixed the crashing on loading issue I was having, but when I tried to boot the game the other day, the launcher simply wouldn't open, it stopped on "launching executable". So I went in the binaries folder inside the game folder to try to launch the game directly from there, and lo and behold, the executable was called ck3.exe.

Thing is, I'm on Linux, not Windows. So I had to force Steam to use the Linux native version instead, by right clicking on the game --> Properties --> Compatibility --> Force the use of a specific compatibilty tool --> Steam linux runtime

I don't know if Steam downloading the Windows version is a Steam or Paradox issue, but I'll leave this here in case it helps someone else