• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What determines whether or not my Retinue has a leader? I'm often finding that I cannot command a seige because my house army doesn't have a leader.

You should always command your own retinue unless your character is under 16. If this is not happening, please report it as a bug with a save.

Can any one tell me where is tooltip box ?
Sorry about basic question But I'm new for paradox games :)

What tooltip are you looking for? Typically the tooltips just pop-up when you hover over some text on the screen. Are you reading about a specific tooltip in the manual that you are looking for?

And... Welcome to Paradox Games! Prepare to be addicted!

Reactions:
You should always command your own retinue unless your character is under 16. If this is not happening, please report it as a bug with a save.

It's fairly easy to see this in action. Start the game as Mori Toyomoto of Aki for example. As soon as the game starts every levy in the land will be mobilized to fight in the Onin War. Now wait until your liege (the Takeda daimyo of Aki) builds couple of retinue regiments. Mori Toyomoto will take command of it. If you now train your own retinue it will be without a commander as your character is busy commanding his liege's retinue and is thus unavailable. If you split the retinue, then one of your advisors will take command of it but only once the liege's retinue that your character is commanding gets annihilated will he take command of his own retinue.
Unless it's WAD that a liege can call on his vassals to command his retinues when the vassal doesn't have his own retinue? Even then surely your character should return to take command of his own retinue when he produces one.

Can someone give me some pointers on how to play a Kokujin?

I have very little moneyflow or any way to keep my honor going, other than marrying off all my children.

I try to plot, but nobody ever wants to join me.

I can;t become stronger, since my clan is not at war. I've been stuck in the same position for 3 years.

Can someone give me some pointers on how to play a Kokujin?

I have very little moneyflow or any way to keep my honor going, other than marrying off all my children.

I try to plot, but nobody ever wants to join me.

I can;t become stronger, since my clan is not at war. I've been stuck in the same position for 3 years.

Bide your time. Peace at the beginning is welcome, as it is easy to get wiped out at game start while you most probably be behind with conquering at least for a while. Check out your clan leader vassals and start improving relations with some of them, damage their relations with their liege, and send ninjas to dishonour the liege.

How do I see the upkeep of my standing armies?

It's supposed to be shown when you hover the mouse over the money icon on the top...but mines doesn't even though hovering works for Honor, etc.

Another Question:

Game ends in 1620 or Shogunate? 'cause I have a game that's going and going...1640-something.

Maybe this isn't quick, but how does plotting work exactly?

I only had time for 2 quick games last night, but in both of them I got to around 15-20 provinces.
No one asked me to join any plots and no one joined my plots (as far as I could tell
A few years before I wanted to attack someone I would make a plot. Eventually I would get tired of waiting and attack them. I would succeed, but the plotting did not appear to help in any way. Some people did pile on my enemies once their armies were killed, but that did not appear connected to the plotting.

Can anyone give me a 10 sentence FAQ on plotting?

Maybe this isn't quick, but how does plotting work exactly?

I only had time for 2 quick games last night, but in both of them I got to around 15-20 provinces.
No one asked me to join any plots and no one joined my plots (as far as I could tell
A few years before I wanted to attack someone I would make a plot. Eventually I would get tired of waiting and attack them. I would succeed, but the plotting did not appear to help in any way. Some people did pile on my enemies once their armies were killed, but that did not appear connected to the plotting.

Can anyone give me a 10 sentence FAQ on plotting?

Firstly, there are basically 2 kind of plots, the first kind is when you are an independent clan and want to plot against a rival clan. The second type is to plot to break from your own clan, either in a civil war when you are the pretender or when you are a powerful daimyo or clan leader of a different dynasty.

I will talk about the first type, as it is the one I've experience with (never played as someone who is not the clan leader). You first activate it from the plots screen, choose the clan you want to plot against (you can only start plots against your neighbours this way). Once the plot is started you get a new diplomatic option for other clan leaders or daimyos.

Now you just need to invite them to your plot. Other characters are somewhat picky on when they want to plot. The first issue is their honor, they will not plot if their honor is low (depending on the character, anywhere between 45 and 60 or more), then, they will evaluate their relations with you and the plot target, if they like the plot target more than you they won't plot. This one is tricky since some clan leaders have such godly diplomacy stats, and that might prevent you from ever reaching an satisfying relationship score.

In order to increase your relationship with the invitee you can basically take three actions: Gifting, Marrying and Increasing Relations via the Master of Ceremonies. Send your MoC and when he succeeds, quickly gift the target of the invitation to stack both bonuses.

You can also try to lower the relations of the invitee with the plot target if the fist is a vassal of the latter. For this, either sow discontent and try to lower the plot target's honor through ninja actions.

Then there is opportunity, other clans won't be willing to join you if they are already at war, or for some other reasons they won't share with you (I suspect if they are already plotting against someone). These are hard to influence.

With all these said, plotting is not a guarantee, and requires patience, sometimes your leader is just too shy, or the enemy is on a strong position. Wait for the right time and you will eventually succeed.

Where do I exactly see who have I given as hostage and who have I received? It also seems I have no control about who I give as hostage when I get an offer (only the leaders portraits appear)

Getting some questions that were missed:

4)Will there be hard copies available in American retail outlets?

I don't believe Victoria II ever had a retail release in the US, but I could be wrong. You can always purchase a boxed copy from the Paradox store.

What do the colors mean in the Demesne map? Obviously bright green is the selected character's land holdings, but if he has vassals, what does red brown and dark green mean?

You just answered your own question: the other colors represent your various vassals. Each has his own color.

What determines my maximum retinue?

I believe there is a base of three or four and certain (or all?) guild buildings increase the size by one.

Where do I exactly see who have I given as hostage and who have I received? It also seems I have no control about who I give as hostage when I get an offer (only the leaders portraits appear)
If you propose the hostage exchange the confirmation box will give you a guesstimation of who sends who, if the other party offers the exchange you get no hints about who is sent. You can check your court to see who got exchanged. I've noticed that first the sons of the clan leader without title are sent, if there are none it sends daughters, or a child of the heir. I'm not sure if that order is correct though.