• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.
So about improving provinces, is it like each tile is like a lvl of upgrade, I can't choose which upgrade to build it just goes one after another???

If you're talking about the castle and village buildings, yes they are linear upgradings. With temples and manufactories your have more of a choice what to build.

How do I refill my Court? I've run out of people in my course so if one of my Masters dies I'll have no one to fill the post. Is the only way to have babies!??! Can't I tap people from my other Daimyo's coursts?

People can travel to new courts, but you cannot influence it. You need to balance handing out land to new courtiers vs existing vassals so you cannot just give every new province to a new Kukojin and never worry about powerful vassals :)

Are all provinces worth the same amount of tax/troops (10?/750?) before buildings are taken into account? I couldn't specifically see a manpower/base tax value.

Yes. And with a few exception thrown in for historical or gamebalancing reasons, all provinces start without any buildings.

The give two duke titles to your heir to get him elected trick from CK still seems to work.

With that in mind and as you seem to get no honour bonus from having Daimyos as vassals, is there any point to ever handing out a Daimyo title to anyone other than your chosen heir?

Since your direct vassals vote, you can manage the number of voters by having your friends as Daimyo's instead of having a bunch of direct smaller vassals.

So I've never played a Paradox game, but after trying out the demo I'll most likely be picking up Sengoku two months from now when I finally have a day off.:wacko: I do have a couple of questions stemming from the demo.

Welcome to the forum :)

1)When right clicking on a character one of the icons says "toggle message interest". What does that do? Does that mean I will receive messages about that character if toggled on?

Yes. There are some message settings you can calibrate in order to single out who you want messages about.

3)When I send my masters out to sow dissent or improve relationships where can I find an approximate return date for them?

No. The can get events that either fulfill their mission or features a mishap of some sort. These events will trigger more often/seldom based on the advisor's stats but you will never know exact when they will trigger.

Is playing a minor lord (count) any fun?

I can remember in CK, only a few counts had any short term prospects, while with others you had to crank up the speed to wait out your chance, which could get boring fast.

If you for instance play a kokujin (count) within a clan that is at war, you can use your personal retinue to capture provinces. As soon as you win the siege the province is your. So while not "easy" to expand, it is far from impossible. You can advance to become daimyo be either capturing all provinces within a kuni (historical province connected to a daimyo title) or petitioning your liege to give you such a title.

Can someone explain how to arrange marriages exactly? I choose another clan leader, go to diplomacy window, offer marriage, then try to change portraits to marry off my son to one of his daughters. I see portraits of daughters but when I clik I can't choose them, despite they're adult, not cousins ect. There is no toolip or other explanation why I can't marry them to my son. But hey, I may clik and choose a portrait of a male clan leader himself... WTF? If I want to arrange marriage for my son why do I even see male characters in window with possible candidates for marriage?

Unless you want to marry into a specific clan it is far easier to just select your heir's character screen and hit the marriage button there to see a list of possible brides.

Doing it via the diplo screen also shows males because you may have female court/family members you want to marry off.

Can't upgrade Castle and Village at the same time in the same kori?

Nope.

How can I see which troops of my retinue are my house troops and which are hired ronin? I keep disbanding the wrong units, if I try to save some money.

Which do you want to disband? When you have an army selected you have a disband unit and disband levies button, the former disbands everything while the latter only disbands levies, leaving your retinue in the field. If you want to disband retinue units, there are minus buttons on the military screen for each unit type.

Growing Revenue? I seems to me that no matter how many provinces I have, or how much I expand, my revenue stays fairly constant at 0-3 $ / month... I build and build all they way to Geisha, and my base tax revenue goes up, but it doesn't seem to translate to actual revenue. Do the castles incure maintenance? what are the annual costs for retainers, levies, or armies?

Remember that when you are improving the castle/village you get -70% income from that province, so if you are just improving the same province's village in a row you will not see much of the new income.

What determines whether or not my Retinue has a leader? I'm often finding that I cannot command a seige because my house army doesn't have a leader.

You should always command your own retinue unless your character is under 16. If this is not happening, please report it as a bug with a save.

In the same vein, is there supposed to be a disconnect between what the stated reasoning for the response to diplomatic actions and what they actually want? Right now Osaki are inviting me into a plot to attack the Uesugi, all the while they don't want to join my plot to attack the Uesugi because they "have no intention of fighting them at the moment".

That is a bug that has been fixed for the patch.

Can Koukujin raise levies from their own provinces and can Daimyo raise levies from their own provinces and those of their vassals? I hope this feature isn't restricted solely to Clan Leaders. It could come down to whoever called them forward first would have control over them.

Only the clan leader can raise the levies, the original design was more fluent, but it could get really frustrating. KISS for the win. The vassals get their own retinue and ronin armies for this purpose.

No, it means then when you are searching for them, you have a +200% chance of finding one. Again, this doesn't speed anything up. I think that when your Master of the Guard is searching there is a periodic evaluation of whether he finds a ninja or not, Theaters just increase his chances in that province when the periodic check comes up. Remember that his Intrigue value also impacts the success.

Actually there are a limited set of ninja clans, and when they're done with whatever they've been doing, they look for new work. All MoG looking for Ninja will then compete for the contract, using their intrigue and the bonus from all the theaters in your demesne. The longer he's been looking, the higher chance he has of signing the clan. When signing a clan, the time investment will be reset.

Quick question: You have those annoying events where vassals bother you for titles, right? Does an AI clan leader get those too?

My clan leader has managed to hoard four daimyo titles and of course, no one can use the diplomatic option to ask for them, since you need control of at least half that kuni's kori... which no one has. The guy is actually stuck with a dozen vassals, most of whom are only kokujin with one or two kori and he's refusing to give out daimyo titles.

The AI gets those as well. He'll start handing them out if he starts growing.