• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
They won't ever assimilate in areas with Ottoman/Turkish cores, so there's actually no point in trying to do that in Izmir or Thrace. If you made Turkish an accepted culture, then there would be no assimilation to Greek whatsoever. You can only add Turkish as an accepted culture through a save edit (although that edit is quite easy).
So it's impossible to do this in provinces where they have cores? Even if I (eventually) gain these provinces as greek cores? Just want to make sure I understand what you mean.

Thanks for answering my questions :)

So it's impossible to do this in provinces where they have cores? Even if I (eventually) gain these provinces as greek cores? Just want to make sure I understand what you mean.

Thanks for answering my questions :)

Yes, if they are the primary culture of a nation that has cores in that province, they won't assimilate. This is to prevent things like Poles being wiped off the map.

Totally new player here (although experienced EU3, CK2, and EU4 player) with a few basic, basic questions. I'm playing 3.03 with no mods; present game is as Catalonia + a conquered Valencia.

- Realistically, how continuously should you expect your factories to be open? Should you expect them to open/close cyclically as prices rise/fall, or is there something you can do to cushion that? I have four factories in my first region and two in my second (cement + wine + steel + explosives, guns + artillery); of the first set, usually only two or three are profitable, while in the second set, neither is ever profitable (even during wartime).

- Specifically, I've noticed that when a big great-power war happens, prices for certain goods I produce fall - I'm guessing this is because the great powers hike taxes to fund mobilization and thereby undermine lower/middle class spending on goods. Is this what's going on? How do I handle this?

- Negative tariffs - does this make your factories/artisans/craftsmen more competitive by subsidizing imports? Is this effective?

- Do ships add anything to your economy (like frigates in EU?)

- My artisans producing ammo and guns have been constantly unemployed for a few years. It looks like the supply of those goods is too high and they are no longer competitive. What should I do to cope?

- Given a choice, if I'm favoring economic development first, should I prefer to be in a great-power sphere or not (for access to market)?

- If I want to take one province from a neighbour, but not the whole 'set' (for example, Rousillon without the whole of the region), is that possible?

Totally new player here (although experienced EU3, CK2, and EU4 player) with a few basic, basic questions. I'm playing 3.03 with no mods; present game is as Catalonia + a conquered Valencia.

- Realistically, how continuously should you expect your factories to be open? Should you expect them to open/close cyclically as prices rise/fall, or is there something you can do to cushion that? I have four factories in my first region and two in my second (cement + wine + steel + explosives, guns + artillery); of the first set, usually only two or three are profitable, while in the second set, neither is ever profitable (even during wartime).

- Specifically, I've noticed that when a big great-power war happens, prices for certain goods I produce fall - I'm guessing this is because the great powers hike taxes to fund mobilization and thereby undermine lower/middle class spending on goods. Is this what's going on? How do I handle this?

- Negative tariffs - does this make your factories/artisans/craftsmen more competitive by subsidizing imports? Is this effective?

- Do ships add anything to your economy (like frigates in EU?)

- My artisans producing ammo and guns have been constantly unemployed for a few years. It looks like the supply of those goods is too high and they are no longer competitive. What should I do to cope?

- Given a choice, if I'm favoring economic development first, should I prefer to be in a great-power sphere or not (for access to market)?

- If I want to take one province from a neighbour, but not the whole 'set' (for example, Rousillon without the whole of the region), is that possible?

- Military goods factories will nearly never be profitable. For consumer goods you will need about the 2nd row of commerce and Industry to get quite profitable factories. All depended on your sphere status and raw materials. If a factory is making no money from time to time it is better to let it go bankrupt. If you can afford to loose it. In most cases you will not be able to, in the beginning of the game.
Especial when you are lesser partner in a sphere you might have a hard time finding profitable goods for factories.

- War status increases need for military goods multiple times. Occupied states produce nothing and mobilization reduces productivity by lot's. Worker playing soldier can't produce goods. This naturally leads to resource reductions and less productions your factories can profit from.

- Negative tariffs are a money sink that will allow all your pop's to buy stuff cheaper on the state dime. That includes factories and everyone else, who can't buy the good local. Yes it can help your factories but it is not really viable. Most of the money will go to farmers and laborers who can't afford all goods. Main impact is militancy reduction, due to more needs fulfilled. In the long run you will want your artisans to change to other jobs.

- Ships 'only' give you colonial point's in addition to your military score. No other economic impacts.

- You can't control what your artisans produce. They will pick some good on some need's calculation and run with it for some time and switch up from time to time. As said the idea is to let them switch jobs and reduce your reliance on artisans over time. Only thing you could do might be building factories/ acquiring RGO to fulfill more of the different need's of your population. You can see the demands in the lower part of the trade screen.

- Primary overall ranking is the most important thing for economic success. Easiest way is to bump up your prestige. But not only your prestige count towards your spot on the world market. Your ranking decides when it is your turn to buy.
Being in a sphere has it's positives and negatives.
The problem with being in a sphere might be that your economy will be reliant on goods you won't be able to acquire once you become a GP yourself. Tanking your Industry until you recovered. But getting on top of the list without the extend of another GP's market is a bit harder to achieve. But since you can't do much to influence someone sphearing you you might have to roll the dice on this one. If you have a strong economy sooner or later a GP will want to try to get you in their market.

- honestly I can't remember. If you can it should be an option in the CB generation screen.

Hi,

I got a short question: I tried wrapping my head around the difference of upper house - appointed and voting franchsie - only landed.
Both are saying that only the rich will represent the upper house.
Is the only real difference that one is a real vote and the other just an appointment?

Thanks
cheers
chris

What is the "show on map" option really?

Also: In my game as Canada I colonized Alaska and declared war on Russia for the remainder, after some years Seward's Icebox fires and I have been quitting 100 times in hopes that they wouldn't get it/declare war. I am in control of the Russian part, and first of all I find it stupid that Russia can sell territory which is not in their control and secondly; why on earth do the U.S. get cores on Alaska if Russia says no??

- Ships 'only' give you colonial point's in addition to your military score. No other economic impacts.

Well, ships also consume a lot of different goods, which you can produce, getting extra industrial points. Also, if you don't know were to spend your money, you can always build several dreadnoughts.

Is it possible to just observe a game instead of playing one? (watch as the AI plays everything
It shouldn't be too hard to play with Krakow or Kalat or some other insignificant place that nobody wants. Who is going to pay 20 infamy to annex Krakow?

It shouldn't be too hard to play with Krakow or Kalat or some other insignificant place that nobody wants. Who is going to pay 20 infamy to annex Krakow?

If you're up to date on patches, Hawaii is a good bet too -- one of the later patches made it impossible for the USA to enact the Newlands resolution if there's a player on Hawaii.

How does the "attract immigration" national focus work? Does it only count in the Americas for international immigration or is it for internal migration? Specifically, I want migrants in my Germany to go to my Algerian colony.

Is there anything i, a complete newcomer to Victoria 2, should now that the tutorial does not tell me?

I got all the DLC if that changes anything.
One thing the tutorial doesn't tell you is that in your first 100 games you are going to lose. It's hard to give general advice since almost every nation plays different, but pick a country and play with some specific mechanics. Pick France and see how it feels, they're mono-cultured in their homeland, colonial for expansion, and a monarchy so you can choose however you want to develop whether it be by direct control or letting your capitalists do it. They have high literacy which helps a lot with basically every aspect of the game.

I'm confused. Your location say's you are from London england. And you ask what Pound sterling is?
I know what pound sterling is. I'm asking is if the currency represented is abstracted or based off any values and if so what are the values? Because the money represented in the game is decimal system in an era before the decimal system was introduced in Britain (1971 I believe) so there's got to be some differences. I'm not asking "what the pound sterling is".