• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello,

In my game Venezuela hold the 8th great power spot, displacing Prussia. I (as Britain) annexed a large proportion of Venezuela in order to rebalance the situation in Europe by
helping Prussia.

Prussia now has a higher score than Venezuela yet the latter still holds the 8th great power status (indeed Ven. are 11th in terms of score)

So many question is why is this the case? Why is the 11th nation still holding great power status? (They are below 8th in every conceivable way)

Thanks in advance.

So many question is why is this the case? Why is the 11th nation still holding great power status? (They are below 8th in every conceivable way)
You've to be 365 continious days on ranks 1-8 to get GP and send #8 out. So in that case, Prussia is simply on rank 8 too short to have already kicked out Venezuela (that's for balancing reasons, otherwise every small war and the subsequent mobilization / supply demand could possibly kick out the last few GPs. As a GP ranked lower than #8, the yellow star on the diplo tab (with red arrow; top bar; same colour as tab if it's turned off) lights, hovering shows you how much days you've till you get kicked (to reset that, you've to get above 8 - if it's only for a day).

when starting a war as uncivilized nation, the conquest research point is based on the reform you had finished *before* declaration of the war, right? There is no benefit of delay peace deal to wait for another reform to boost RP, I guess?

Hi,
I fired up my first game on 3.03 as France. I don't know if it is the new patch or new country. Appreciate if you can help me understand some of the game mechanics:

1) It is already 1845, Age of Liberalism never fire. Any idea why? Has anything been changed?
aol_zps86906334.png

2) So I grabbed Yucatan. It surprised me that all those assimilated Mayan turned into French craftsmen, so much so that Yucatan is now my second most industrialized state. Those Yucatan RGOs aren't filled up yet. Any idea why is this happening? I have not NF craftsmen anywhere yet. It looks very weird to me.
industrial_score_zpsc091f348.png

Edit: my checksum is correct.

2) So I grabbed Yucatan. It surprised me that all those assimilated Mayan turned into French craftsmen, so much so that Yucatan is now my second most industrialized state. Those Yucatan RGOs aren't filled up yet. Any idea why is this happening? I have not NF craftsmen anywhere yet. It looks very weird to me.
Yucatan has relatively worthless RGOs (even worse if non-core), so there are large pops who are emloyed but can't fund their lives with their work. Combine it with a little luck and the better techs France has, and you'll get that outcome.

I have two questions (is that appropriate to ask in one post?):

As Sweden, I set my NF to increase tension in one of my Finnish flashpoints with Russia. However, after several months, no tension had increased at all. I tried removing the focus and then reinstating it, switching to the other Finnish state, but none of this worked. Is it that I cannot increase tension in a flashpoint that is owned by a GP, or is this just a bug?

Also, in the naval map mode (did this exist in AHD?), what does it mean where states have striped lines through them? I see in a tool-tip that the states with the stripes through them are not supplied to their full capacity, but perhaps that is irrelevant. Just a general understanding of the naval map mode would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: Running HoD 3.03

You've to be 365 continious days on ranks 1-8 to get GP and send #8 out. So in that case, Prussia is simply on rank 8 too short to have already kicked out Venezuela (that's for balancing reasons, otherwise every small war and the subsequent mobilization / supply demand could possibly kick out the last few GPs. As a GP ranked lower than #8, the yellow star on the diplo tab (with red arrow; top bar; same colour as tab if it's turned off) lights, hovering shows you how much days you've till you get kicked (to reset that, you've to get above 8 - if it's only for a day).

The timer is on the country going out, not on the country promoting. You can be in the top ranks for decades and not become GP if 8 and 9 keep swapping places. If you take 8th from another wannabe 364 days after a GP lost 8th, you'll be GP immediately on getting into the top 8.

Hi,
I fired up my first game on 3.03 as France. I don't know if it is the new patch or new country. Appreciate if you can help me understand some of the game mechanics:

1) It is already 1845, Age of Liberalism never fire. Any idea why? Has anything been changed?

1. Maybe you change to voting rights? With universal weighted voting this event will not fire.
If not, you have good(or bad) luck:)

Sometimes you can conquest these same 3 large countries (each one for22 infamy) with no infamy hit, sometimes you will get 64...

1. what's the optimal percentage of capitalists for maximum production output? I think it's 2% but I'm not sure.
Way too high and likely impossible. Anything over 0.7%, and the capitalists have a massive -55% penalty to promotion.

I like to build the first factory or two in each state, and when they're profitable I'll encourage capitalists up to 0.2%. It's usually enough to keep them around, and if the state factories do particularly well, capitalists tend to grow by themselves and hover around 0.5%.

In my germany game austria has lost bohemia and romania and is part of my sphere as a secondary power will it annex as such or do i have to release a bunch of other nations from austria?
If you haven't formed Germany, it will (or at least should) join when you do.

If you have, you need to eject them from your sphere, declare a war to force them to release at least a one-state version of Hungary, then get them back into your sphere.

I found this icon to the left of the screen called "Battle plan editor" How do I use this?

edit: it's actually on the right side of the screen. Did anyone noticed it?

Last edited:
Question, looking as US that to abolish slavery either the flag "Slavery Debate" must be off or the year should be above 1875. Fine.

Does that mean that if somehow I manage to abolish slavery earlier there will be no Civil War?

Does that mean that if somehow I manage to abolish slavery earlier there will be no Civil War?
Unless you cheat, Slavery Debate will only disappear after the Civil war ended. However, it's possible to reach 1 January 1875 without the Civil War event firing (prevent either John Brown or Dread Scott from firing), if you abolish slavery peacefully in '75, you'll never experience a Civil War.

Unless you cheat, Slavery Debate will only disappear after the Civil war ended. However, it's possible to reach 1 January 1875 without the Civil War event firing (prevent either John Brown or Dread Scott from firing), if you abolish slavery peacefully in '75, you'll never experience a Civil War.

Well I actually did have a chance to abolish slavery (by reform - ended up using it to get universal vote) in 1844 before the Slavery Debate flag appeared. If I had chosen it would there be Civil War or not? IIRC Dredd Scott did fire already before I could do the reform, but I´m not sure.

Well I actually did have a chance to abolish slavery (by reform - ended up using it to get universal vote) in 1844 before the Slavery Debate flag appeared. If I had chosen it would there be Civil War or not? IIRC Dredd Scott did fire already before I could do the reform, but I´m not sure.

The Civil War will never fire, in that case. So if you can manage to abolish slavery before The Slavery Debate fires, you've proven yourself an excellent statesman. (You can prevent The Slavery Debate from firing if you enact the House Gag Rule first.) This is a more sure-fire way of doing it than letting The Slavery Debate fire and then waiting until 1875, as the Dred Scott and John Brown's Last Raid event are triggered by high consciousness and liberalism, which are a bit hard to control. Do note that the Civil War chain can still fire without The Slavery Debate.

Though come to think of it, many events do rely on the american_civil_war_has_happened global flag, so I'm not sure what the negative consequences would be.

Hmmm interesting, I was afraid that doing things ahead of time would screw the game, that´s why I didn´t abolish it.

Apart from bashing Mexico what are the best options for early US expansion? Canada isn´t a choice before 1850.

Having checked the files, preventing the American Civil War actually isn't so bad. It will prevent you from buying Cuba (in 2.01, this event chain was changed in 3.01 so may no longer be the case.) and prevent you from using the Emancipation Proclamation, meaning you won't get Afro-American as an accepted culture. Besides that, some events may be delayed because they will only fire after a particular year without american_civil_war_has_happened. It would be nice to have a 13th Amendment decision that is able to fire either after the Civil War, or if conditions for abolition are right, which then adds Afro-American as an accepted culture. The Emancipation Proclamation should probably just add war exhaustion to the CSA and militancy to its slaves. (It only freed slaves in unoccupied Southern territory, that is to say, in reality few slaves were freed at all.)

As for expansion: I enjoy intervening in Central America to make the break-up products of the USCA my puppets. It provides stability to the region, gives you free spheres, and it helps draw away troops in any war with Mexico. Haiti never has any friends, so making them your puppet or conquering them (if you're willing to risk the 22 infamy) is also an option. With ticking war score, you could easily take the Danish colony in the Caribbean if nobody is Friendly with Denmark yet.