• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm playing France in DW, and have been able to diploannex nearly all of my former vassals, without any trouble at all, no 2nd tries. So my question is simply, did DW increase the chances of a successful diploannex?

Or is it just pure luck?

It's probably merely the extra diplomacy rating from your sphere of influence. You can rack up a lot quite quickly, especially as a powerful nation like France. Power -> War -> Prestige -> Sphere.

I'm playing 'vanilla' EU3: Complete from Steam. The Manual that Steam links to may be for the original EU3. It doesn't describe terms like War Exhaustion, or even mention the battle summary chart. I peeked at the EU3 Wiki but it seemed a little sparse. Would one of you lads give me a quick run-down on what some of these Advisor bonuses are?

Land/Naval Forcelimits modifiers
Manpower modifier (at first I thought this was a growth bonus)
Trade Efficiency
Production Efficiency
Tax Rate Modifier (raw addition to existing tax rate? or the rate increases by this fraction?)
Reinforcement modifier
Fort Defense modifier (how is this applied?)
Colonial Range modifier

And do these modifiers stack with functionally identical advisors?

So, yeah, I'm not asking *that* much...

OK. Now I see that the 'In Nomine' part of the wiki mentions these... but I don't see the descriptions that I'm looking for.

Would one of you lads give me a quick run-down on what some of these Advisor bonuses are?

Trade Efficiency
Production Efficiency
Tax Rate Modifier (raw addition to existing tax rate? or the rate increases by this fraction?)
Reinforcement modifier
Colonial Range modifier

Land/Naval Forcelimits modifiers increases the amount of regiments or ships that you can support without having to pay an additional cost. The menu that comes up when you click your shield has a tab that shows your current army or navy size and the maximum force limit available. Any troops or ships over the force limit causes you to pay an additional cost per month.

Manpower modifier affects your total manpower pool available for your nation. It's the number next to a picture of a soldier around the top left of the interface. You draw from the manpower pool whenever recruit a regiment, or during the monthly reinforcement of any regiments that aren't at full strength.

Trade Efficiency is how much of your total trade you're able to convert into monthly income. In the economics tab, there's a percentage beside your trade income, which is trade efficiency. A higher trade efficiency lets you get more income from trade, as well as raising your compete chances.

I'm guessing Production Efficiency bonuses work the same as the Trade Efficiency ones.

Reinforcement bonus I'm not too certain on, but I'd think that it increases the maximum amount of troops reinforced per army. There's a certain limit to how many troops will be reinforced every month.

The colonial range increases the distance from which you are able to colonize new territories. Each nation has a colonial range that is the maximum distance from their territory that a colony is able to be formed.

The bonuses I haven't mentioned are the ones I'm not sure about and I'm sure someone else can explain them in detail.

Advisors with the same bonuses also stack, but in the latest expansion, Divine Wind, they're limited to one per type.

You can see the tax rate modifier in the tax tooltip of each province, that should make it a bit clearer.

Would one of you lads give me a quick run-down on what some of these Advisor bonuses are?
Lad? I'm 40 y/o fine citizen. Percentage bonuses to the tax and production income streams are better for larger nations compared to smaller nations.

- Your forcelimit is the number of units you can keep without paying a penalty cost. Each province adds something to one or both of these (only coastal provinces add to your navy forcelimit). The advisor raises that and advisors do stack.
- If you have no attrition, your manpower grows every month until it hits a limit and that's it. The limit is based on the size and manpower supply of your provinces. This just raises that limit, not how fast it replenishes.
Trade Efficiency
- This one improves how much money you get from each merchant you have in the various Centers of Trade. Your trade in 1399 starts in the 20 to 30 % range so a 3% bonus to trade efficiency can be significant if you are a trading nation early in the game.
Production Efficiency
- PE is the multiplier that improve how much money you can get from your province production. Early in the game this is normally in the 20% to 30% range so a 3% improvement will boost your take from production from, for example, 30% to 33% (a 10% jump). This tends to be an advisor for larger nations in my opinion.
- Your tax rate modifier improves the percentage of tax you get from each province. It starts around 100% at the beginning of the game so it's not as big a boost as the production or trade advisors can be.
Reinforcement modifier
- This one is used to speed up how quick your manpower is sent to your regiments in the field. If you are in a tough fight, this can help recover your surviving units faster. The downside is it won't increase your manpower reserves, so this advisor won't do much for you once your manpower reserves are used up.
- This one helps slow down enemy sieges on your forts. I don't have specifics.
Colonial Range modifier
-The percentages from Quest for the New world (+50%) add with this modifier. For example if your base range is 200, QftNW will allow you to colonize up to 300 units away from your nearest province with a core. Add a +30% advisor and you now have a 180% modifier. You can colonize any province within 360 units. If you have QftNW, three 30% advisors, and a base range of 200, you can colonize up to 480 units away.

-Yes they stack. However, in the latest version, Divine Wind, you can only have one of each type of advisor.

edit - Other posters beat me to it.

I've got a quick question. In DW, what limits the states that you can force an enemy to release in a peace agreement?

In a recent game I defeated France in our war, but could only force the release of a few of the states that have cores there. I'd wanted to release Bar and Normandy, but neither were available to be selected (they do not exist elsewhere, unlike several other states that have extra cores in France).

Quick question too :

Being France or Spain (or any nation than you can "form" from a bunch of cores and the good primary culture), if you become HRE, then form HRE, will you be able to reverse to France or Spain after that ?

After all, I think the primary culture is still the same (except if you do a culture shift) and you still have the cores required to form the country. Would it work ?

I've got a quick question. In DW, what limits the states that you can force an enemy to release in a peace agreement?

In a recent game I defeated France in our war, but could only force the release of a few of the states that have cores there. I'd wanted to release Bar and Normandy, but neither were available to be selected (they do not exist elsewhere, unlike several other states that have extra cores in France).

I believe the provinces needs to occupied by you or at least unoccupied. It doesn't work if they're occupied by someone else.

It could also be that the province cultures have changed making it impossible to release them.

How can I determine the chance a royal mariage will result in a personal union?
How can I determine the chance a royal mariage will result in inheritance?
How can I determine the chance a personal union will result in inheritance?

I am guessing prestige, infamy and good relations have something to do with it, but I do not know what exactly?

Is there a way to know if I am in charge of the siege?

Yes, open the siege window (click on the province). The siege owner's shield is displayed.

Click on the province.

If your coat of arms is in the little box with siege progress, you´re in charge. Rule: 1st come, 1st serve. - Untill you give the command to move away, then the 2ndcomer will get the siege, even if you immediately chancel the move again.

Is there a way to know if I am in charge of the siege?

In addition to the other replies, you should also be the top army in the tooltip of the province. This is handy if you have multiple armies there, but want to move ones that aren't needed. Make sure you're not moving your top most army though. Joining that army with another might also make you lose the siege command.

Quick question too :

Being France or Spain (or any nation than you can "form" from a bunch of cores and the good primary culture), if you become HRE, then form HRE, will you be able to reverse to France or Spain after that ?

After all, I think the primary culture is still the same (except if you do a culture shift) and you still have the cores required to form the country. Would it work ?

No, HRE can't form any other nations, the decisions have been written to exclude HRE.

How can I determine the chance a royal mariage will result in a personal union?
You need to have more prestige than any other countries they have royal marriages with. Other than that it should be an automatic union if an heirless monarch dies.
How can I determine the chance a royal mariage will result in inheritance?
I think I've only ever had instant inheritances when in the same dynasty. How the chances are vis-a-vis PU I honestly don't know. It might also have something to do with legitimacy.
How can I determine the chance a personal union will result in inheritance?

I am guessing prestige, infamy and good relations have something to do with it, but I do not know what exactly?

You need positive relations, or else the union will stop on monarch death. Other than that I don't think high (190-200) relations is necessary. I've been trying to figure out what the reasoning behind the seemingly random changes in the royal marriage display between inheritance and continuation of union.

Infamy is a good theory. I'm pretty sure being at war makes it less likely. The question is if it's a mtth event or just a straight check when the monarch dies. It's pretty hard to handle in either case, as monarch death in itself is ridiculously random.

Stability is good when it comes to inheiriting too. I'm not sure if you can inherit while at war, I don't think so. You can check the tooltip for any monarch to see what'll happen when he dies, if it says they'll be inheirited by you that's obviously a good sign.