• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I have a question about population growth:
Each city has a %listed but it does not seem to be the yearly growth as I had expected. When conducting population censuses in a city with a CoT, the growth percentage can rise as high as 20-25%. If this growth was yearly this would mean the city would double in size in about 4 years. Clearly it does not, so I am left wondering percentage growth per what unit?

Playing Norway, don't know if there are modifiers for growth in cold countries so I thought id list it.

I have a question about population growth:
Each city has a %listed but it does not seem to be the yearly growth as I had expected. When conducting population censuses in a city with a CoT, the growth percentage can rise as high as 20-25%. If this growth was yearly this would mean the city would double in size in about 4 years. Clearly it does not, so I am left wondering percentage growth per what unit?

Playing Norway, don't know if there are modifiers for growth in cold countries so I thought id list it.
I believe pop growth numbers are per decade.

I`m having some truble with naval battles. Every once in a while I will have a huge fleet defeted by a tiny enemy fleet.

First time it happend 144 threedeckers were defeted, half of which sunk, by a single enemy transport ship. Last time (different game) I had to pull my 150 ship fleet, 50/50 threedeckers/transport off the scene, when I got my ass kicked by two portugese wargalleons.

I noticed that I only had 1% possition (or something like that) vs 42% for the Portugese. Am I doing something wrong or is this some kind of bug? Playing DW 5.1 btw.

I`m having some truble with naval battles. Every once in a while I will have a huge fleet defeted by a tiny enemy fleet.

First time it happend 144 threedeckers were defeted, half of which sunk, by a single enemy transport ship. Last time (different game) I had to pull my 150 ship fleet, 50/50 threedeckers/transport off the scene, when I got my ass kicked by two portugese wargalleons.

I noticed that I only had 1% possition (or something like that) vs 42% for the Portugese. Am I doing something wrong or is this some kind of bug? Playing DW 5.1 btw.

Is your naval maintenance at 100%? That's what it sounds like to me; that your morale was too low.

Hey niltor. I know what you're talking about and I think I know why this shit is happening to you.

The problem is: Your fleets are too large. Try splitting your fleet into two or three separate ones and just manoeuver them together and they should trounce your enemies' ships again.
I have no idea whether this an oversight by the developers or an intentional feature. In any way, it's fairly retarded.

Yes positioning is very important. With threedeckers pretty much 10 in one stack is enough, 144 is way way too much and will be destroyed by a crab :p. An admiral is very important too.

How can you determine positioning?

How can you determine positioning?

There are changes in 5.2 but I'll talk about 5.1. To see your maximum positioning simply hover over your fleet number (ie when you have the fleet selected the top right corner of the pop up box will have the number of ships. Hover over that to see the positioning %). You ideally want that to always be over 90%. Though dropping to 85 is fine if you want to have more ships in each stack.

The initial positioning is based upon your admiral and composition of ships. Galleys are fast and get in position fast. A great admiral will be able to organise your big ships quickly so to attack more effectively. In 5.1 20 early big ships/ 15 mid big ships/10 late big ships are the most effective.

In 5.2 it has changed due to each fleet having a minimum positioning %. So fleets of 100+ won't get the 1% and be useless. Plus the Admiral matters a lot more. So in theory you can win with massive stacks and a great admiral in 5.2 (but I am not well versed with 5.2.). You simply cannot in 5.1.

Exactly. So a growth rate of 12% actually means 1.2% per year or 0.1% per month.
But... 0.1% per month actually means 12.74% per decade!

But... 0.1% per month actually means 12.74% per decade!
Yes, it's exactly the same as interest rates normally work. If you get a credit card with a 12% APR (annual percentage rate) that means they will charge you 1% of your average monthly balance each month (details may vary). If it were a savings account or investment of some kind this might be advertised as a "12.68% effective annual yield". (1.01^12 = 1.1268)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annual_percentage_yield

Yesterday I was about to conquer some of the middle east with a europian nation and I noticed something I've never seen before. Rolling over the middle eastern armies and bashing the provinces I had more and more rebellions at home and it felt a bit too much so I checked the revolt risk table.
I had +14% as war exhaustion.
I was like... what the hell? I fought decade long wars with Austria, Bohemia, Poland and so on... never had to worry about war exhaustion. On very easy I have -0.2 modifier. Which I still have.
After checking the war exhaustion table it shows +0.8 because of attrition.

So question is? Do I get more attrition dmg in middle eastern provinces?

Yesterday I was about to conquer some of the middle east with a europian nation and I noticed something I've never seen before. Rolling over the middle eastern armies and bashing the provinces I had more and more rebellions at home and it felt a bit too much so I checked the revolt risk table.
I had +14% as war exhaustion.
I was like... what the hell? I fought decade long wars with Austria, Bohemia, Poland and so on... never had to worry about war exhaustion. On very easy I have -0.2 modifier. Which I still have.
After checking the war exhaustion table it shows +0.8 because of attrition.

So question is? Do I get more attrition dmg in middle eastern provinces?

It is possible, some of middle eastern provinces(deserts) have very low supply limit, thus not allowing you to field a large army there.If you are playing on a political map, you can actually see the supply limit of every province at a glance if you have an army selected.It could also be possible that some of your armies are sitting in foreign territory where you don't have military access.