• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You don't get the mission to diplo-annex your vassals if they aren't bordering you, right?

I'm trying to conquer every island as Sicily, but playing without free cores or easy CBs are really doing a number on me.

Also what is the easiest way to bankrupt yourself as an OPM without ruining your country?

If you are coastal, take 5 loans then put loads of ships into your build queue then after bancrupcy, cancel them to get half of their costs' back. Works the same for hiring mercs/regiments.

I wouldn't suggest doing this with mercenaries, because due to the short build time some of them may finish before you go bankrupt, and you'll lose more money than if you built ships. Unfortunately it's your only option if you're landlocked, though. :\

Hi ! I'm currently playing my 2nd game ever with France. I got a little too scared about an early Burdungy Holy Roman Emperor so I decided to act. It ends with the full annexion of Provence, Savoy, Brittany, Lorraine and half of Burgundy thanks to their alliance. I got a beautifull 40 infamy points and an excommunication of course. I know about lowering my infamy, but I'm not really aware about what do to with the religion thing. I dont have any cardinals, my relation with the pope is 0. I tried some gifts to the Papal States but nothing seems to work.

So here's my question: what should I do to maintain a good relation with the pope, and keep some french cardinals in the Vatican ?

I'm really confused by this Muscovy in my new Holland game. It's 1401 and I'm trying to compete against them in Novgorod, but the problem is that they're getting ridiculous bonuses to compete chance that just don't match reality at all. For example, when I hover over their standards on the COT menu, I see that they get a 10% boost to compete chance from their mercantilism/free trade orientation. That would correspond to having a slider position of +2 Free Trade. However, on loading up as Muscovy, I find that they have the standard starting position for Muscovy... which is -3 Mercantilism. Furthermore, they're getting a 15.5% jump from their trade efficiency, which would mean they have a trade efficiency of 31%, but on booting up as Muscovy I find they actually only have 26%. The net result is that they're getting some 12.5% jump that's entirely unexplained, and combined with them being a lucky nation it's giving Holland, the god of free trade, a mere 56% chance of success in competing against them. What in the world?

I'm really confused by this Muscovy in my new Holland game. It's 1401 and I'm trying to compete against them in Novgorod, but the problem is that they're getting ridiculous bonuses to compete chance that just don't match reality at all. For example, when I hover over their standards on the COT menu, I see that they get a 10% boost to compete chance from their mercantilism/free trade orientation. That would correspond to having a slider position of +2 Free Trade. However, on loading up as Muscovy, I find that they have the standard starting position for Muscovy... which is -3 Mercantilism. Furthermore, they're getting a 15.5% jump from their trade efficiency, which would mean they have a trade efficiency of 31%, but on booting up as Muscovy I find they actually only have 26%. The net result is that they're getting some 12.5% jump that's entirely unexplained, and combined with them being a lucky nation it's giving Holland, the god of free trade, a mere 56% chance of success in competing against them. What in the world?
Muscovy is in Novgorod's trade league which means they are using Novgorod's modifiers. Novogorod is Free Trade which makes it a handy league to be in.

Hi ! I'm currently playing my 2nd game ever with France. I got a little too scared about an early Burdungy Holy Roman Emperor so I decided to act. It ends with the full annexion of Provence, Savoy, Brittany, Lorraine and half of Burgundy thanks to their alliance. I got a beautifull 40 infamy points and an excommunication of course. I know about lowering my infamy, but I'm not really aware about what do to with the religion thing. I dont have any cardinals, my relation with the pope is 0. I tried some gifts to the Papal States but nothing seems to work.

So here's my question: what should I do to maintain a good relation with the pope, and keep some french cardinals in the Vatican ?

Well, to get cardinals you should have papal influence, which you'll never get with 40 infamy, that's extremely high. You should rarely annex provinces/countries without a proper casus belli, but that's a totally different topic.

To maintain relations with the pope you should keep bribing them if the relations drop. It should be cheap as France. Getting millitary access and guaranteeing will also help.

At 40 infamy, relations are going to be strained anyway, and I don't even think 200 relations and 5 Narrowminded gives you enough Papal Influence (which is pretty essential for getting cardinals on a regular basis early on in the game) to counteract the effects of infamy on the Papal Influence - and I think being excommunicated means you can't get Papal Influence for anything longer than a month anyway (-100 % Papal Influence / year, I think?) The best thing you can do is to get to 200 relations with the Pope (anti-new excommunication - I think 100+ is needed but you'll want a buffer with your infamy) and hope your King dies soon to lift the excommunication - or hope your friends get Papal Controller and lift it for you. Just keep spamming those gifts and consider asking for Military Access as well - it's a minor relations boost.

That's my next question:

Can I annex / vassalize the Papal States ? What will happends if I do so ?

vassalizing the Papal State doesn't have any extraordinaire effect.

you can annex it too just like any other nations - however if there are other Theocracies left, one of them will become the Papal State eventually. if there are no other Theocracies left, then the Papal state is gone - the Curia remains however.

vassalizing the Papal State doesn't have any extraordinaire effect.

you can annex it too just like any other nations - however if there are other Theocracies left, one of them will become the Papal State eventually. if there are no other Theocracies left, then the Papal state is gone - the Curia remains however.

Is it in any way significant for the Curia that the head of state of the Papal State is still the Pope?

At the end of my France/HRE game I was Reformed, and the Papal State was a Reformed vassal of the HRE, but the head of this reformed state was a Pope. I have no idea whether there was still a Curia.

That's my next question:

Can I annex / vassalize the Papal States ? What will happends if I do so ?
The Papal State vassal will join any wars you want it to, lowering the Papal relations (and thus Papal influence) with your enemies, and it will have good relations with you without any effort on your part.
If you annex the Papal States and are a Catholic country, you get an event asking for the release of the Papal states.

You can inherit a country before a PU, actually, although it is very rare.

-Is there a way to break up a PU I am not a part of?
-Why can you only send missionaries to your own provinces?