• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Manchu. Does the Land of Opportunity NI apply to colonizing horde land?

I would assume so, but:
When I'm colonizing the hordes, sometimes (esp. early in colonizing a single province) the colony slider in the economy tab is functional. Later on, the tooltip for that slider claims that I have no colonies. Even though I'm definitely colonizing horde territory.
So, is that a bug, or are they "special" colonies?

playing as the Aztecs, I own all of the maya and zapotec. there is no revolt risk, they are all my cores, blah blah.

Try and centralize so I can eastern, 'pretender to the throne' its 2 army units, thats all. They have been plauging me for two years!

The battle ends in a second and they loose 100 guys, run off to another province and are instantly reinforced. I surround them, doesnt do anything, I send in 40 units, doesnt do anything, just kills ME with attrition.

How the frick do I deal with this?!

Manchu. Does the Land of Opportunity NI apply to colonizing horde land?

I would assume so, but:
When I'm colonizing the hordes, sometimes (esp. early in colonizing a single province) the colony slider in the economy tab is functional. Later on, the tooltip for that slider claims that I have no colonies. Even though I'm definitely colonizing horde territory.
So, is that a bug, or are they "special" colonies?

You have to colonize them in their entirety before you make any kind of peace or you lose the colony. I can confirm, personally, that LoO works fine with hordes.

In the message log. (Yes, this is rather cumbersome.)

Well, you could set the messages to be on popup. But I agree, the whole HRE voting stuff badly needs a rework/DLC to make things a bit more clear.

Then people who aim for WC must have very slow tech'ing speeds and would be difficult in keeping up with other nations?
The majority of the cost-impact is front-loaded: At one province, your tech cost is 100% of normal, while at eight provinces, it's 200% of normal. After that, it's another 2.5% per province, meaning that at 48 provinces, it's 300% of normal. It's not that bad a problem; it's perfectly possible to own basically the whole of Russia, Anatolia, Persia, Egypt, and Arabia, and half of India, and still be able to keep all five techs up a year or two ahead-of-time.

Which imperial reform causes everyone to go to war with you, Privilegia or Renovatio? Will there be tons of seperate wars or one massive one? Can I get them back into the empire or do I have to annex them? And when I go for Renovatio, will I get cores in all the HRE provinces that I inherit?

Which imperial reform causes everyone to go to war with you, Privilegia or Renovatio?
Both, if you're careless enough to pass Renovatio in unfavorable circumstances.

Will there be tons of seperate wars or one massive one?
One war, with you as the attacker (at a cost of 1 infamy), for each country rejecting the reform.

Can I get them back into the empire
No. They leave the empire instantly.

And when I go for Renovatio, will I get cores in all the HRE provinces that I inherit?
Only the ones belonging to countries you have a border with.

Could you please elaborate on this a little bit more? What controls whether or not a war is started?

One war, with you as the attacker (at a cost of 1 infamy), for each country rejecting the reform.
So I'll get tons of infamy if I don't get everyone to vote for me?

No. They leave the empire instantly.
Do their provinces stay in the HRE? Will I get a CB to take their provinces, or will I be forced to take the full infamy hit for (re-)conquering their territory?

Could you please elaborate on this a little bit more? What controls whether or not a war is started?
When the reform is passed, each member state apart from the Emperor gets an event, where they can choose to either acquiesce to the reform or leave the empire and go to war (with the Emperor designated as the attacker).

So I'll get tons of infamy if I don't get everyone to vote for me?
I misstated. It's each country that refuses to become your vassal when the reform is passed, not each country that votes against the reform.

Do their provinces stay in the HRE?
No. When a country leaves the empire, it takes all its provinces with it.

Will I get a CB to take their provinces,
No.

On average, how many countries vote in favour of the reform and then refuse to become vassals? I'm assuming it's the big ones like Blobbemia that do it the most, am I correct? Also, if I've passed Privilegia and everyone is either my vassal or has left the HRE, how can I get authority quickly? Releasing vassals (and then re-annexing them with Renovatio of course)?

Let's say there is an mp game, England and Burgundy are both played by humans, english player enact Calais staple port decision.

Would that decision still be active if Burgundy conquered it?

Try and centralize so I can eastern, 'pretender to the throne' its 2 army units, thats all. The battle ends in a second and they loose 100 guys, run off to another province and are instantly reinforced. I surround them, doesnt do anything, I send in 40 units, doesnt do anything, just kills ME with attrition. How the frick do I deal with this?!
Yes, this can be frustrating, especially if you have territories without fortifications.
There are a few strategies that you can use. The battle lasts for as long as both armies have sufficient morale, so:

1.) Allow the rebels time for their morale to return; they will fight longer before defeat
2.) Attack the rebels with forces that have only about half the normal morale.
[You control maximum morale strength with the slider for land forces funding]

Remember that your goal is *not* to defeat them, but to reduce their numbers. That requires a longer skirmish time than you are seeing. A low number of soldiers with low morale can achieve this - or possibly attack them with single units moving separately. A quick victory means - as you have said - that they flee (and resupply along the way). If you choose to address the problem with 40 units, then try to use a military leader with a very high maneuver skill, so that your troops arrive at the destination before the fleeing rebels (very satisfying!).

Do players generally convert populations while doing a WC?
That would depend on the player, and the game. Some players choose to roleplay as narrow-minded Theocracies, in which case converting the masses is 'in character' for that nation. I have deep respect for players who steadfastly convert all their new provinces. That is a significant challenge.

If the Curia is important to your nation, then you should attempt conversions when feasible. More Catholic provinces means higher possibility of gaining a controlled Cardinal - which gives additional infamy reduction.

On the other hand, I try to take a pragmatic approach. I've had stubborn provinces where my new Theologian advisor *died* before the province converted. Lately I had a mission to convert a province where the conversion probability was less than 3%. The only reasonable hope of success was to transplant my National Focus. That mission got cancelled. Often I simply cannot justify funding a missionary for such a long period of time. In the long run, accepting other religions into your national culture can be worth the initial extra revolt risk - though it is a very painful short term.

Last edited:

Are you sure that the last reform (Renovatio) can also lead to war? Once I tried to pass it while having high infamy, it got rejected but without war. I know those are two seperate things, rejection of the reform and declaration of war, but it seems highly unlikely that majority of members declined but not one of them declared war.

The possibility of war only arises if the reforms are passed.