• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I see no particular reason for letting France's, or any other country's population growth rate, base growth rate be moddable. But I guess I can't come up with any powerful arguments against such a thing, either.

In either case, don't forget that we can reasonably expect that some technologies will increase pop growth rate, effectively by lowering the death rate. It would also be cool to let certain decisions or laws be implemented, which would affect the birth rate. Something like "Bishops urge stronger laws against contraception", which would increase the birth rate but also the rate of illegitimacy, with corresponding rise in social welfare costs. Something like that.

Last edited:
Am I right in thinking Vic had size of POP : total population as a fixed ratio? No provision for a shifting proportion of children, working women and retirees?

Am I right in thinking Vic had size of POP : total population as a fixed ratio? No provision for a shifting proportion of children, working women and retirees?
Correct -- I don't think the precise mix of people as you describe it was taken into consideration. IMHO that would be too fine-grained to be really needed in a game such as this one.

Though France, a Catholic country, had a total population growth between 1890 and 1913 of only 3.7% and Germany had a total population growth of 36% in the same period, Italy had a growth of 17%, while Great Britain had 22%, with Austria having 22% as well. While on average the great powers that were protestant had higher population growth from 1890 to 1913, the other catholic great powers didn't have anything near France's abysmal population growth.
Yes, I wasn't the one arguing that one sect should have higher growth rates than another sect. I don't think there should be a difference between Protestants and Catholics.

It just means they aren’t ONLY factors you need to take into consideration. I would say high CON should decrease population growth. Maybe there are other factors too. But what I wouldn't like is hard coded impairment.
There wouldn't be a need for hard-coded differences in population growth if Victoria was so complex as to endogenously model everything needed to account for birth and death rates. However, I rather doubt that Victoria 2 will be capable of accounting for differences in birth control or cultural preferences regarding family size.

The land reform argument is valid imho. European landed farmers limited the number of children - sometimes to a single child - in order to avoid the diminishing of farm size further. With enlightenment and healthcare birth control (including abortion) might have spread to allow this.

My second guess is that most of the French wealth was concentrated in Paris, and rural living conditions being worse than in Germany.

maybe country religion could be a factor in this case also ? As we now in Islam countries it's a common thing to have many children, similiar situation was in catholicism before XX century. Beside, such system would give religion a meaning in the game, cos' in V1 it was in fact useless and meaningless.

That's not really a religious issue but rather an economic and education issue as most of the regions in the middle east that have high birth rates are usually the most economically depressed.

As Dubai the more wealthy state (according to the CIA fact book) has 1.5% birthrates and Palestine has 2.225%

Even in predominately Catholic nations, wealth and education was the primary factors for birth rates in Europe in the 1800-1900s.

(...)

Even in predominately Catholic nations, wealth and education was the primary factors for birth rates in Europe in the 1800-1900s.

And overall, women status. A 'feminist' political agenda (political and social reforms, political issues...) would be nice, though controversial... I think it's wiser to rely this option on modders. Instead, in vanilla, a few decisions or events, as OHgamer remembered it's handled in VIP, could make the work.

My second guess is that most of the French wealth was concentrated in Paris, and rural living conditions being worse than in Germany.

AFAIK it was the opposite - the French peasants had a higher standard of living, because of previous distribution of lands.

maybe country religion could be a factor in this case also ? As we now in Islam countries it's a common thing to have many children, similiar situation was in catholicism before XX century. Beside, such system would give religion a meaning in the game, cos' in V1 it was in fact useless and meaningless.

Perhaps you should check up some of the more recent fertility rates in Muslim countries. You might be surprised to learn that Iran has a lower fertility rate than the US, or Algeria a lower rate than France.

That's not really a religious issue but rather an economic and education issue as most of the regions in the middle east that have high birth rates are usually the most economically depressed.

As Dubai the more wealthy state (according to the CIA fact book) has 1.5% birthrates and Palestine has 2.225%

Perhaps you should check up some of the more recent fertility rates in Muslim countries. You might be surprised to learn that Iran has a lower fertility rate than the US, or Algeria a lower rate than France.

ok, ok I get Your point, I'm no expert in this topic, so I won't argue, beside it was just an idea.

Don't take it as a reproach. The decrease in fertility rates in many Muslim countries has been rather recent and very drastic.

nah, I'm not taking it that wait :), I'm just admitting that You were right about this theoretical religion factor. It has no meaning when it comes to population growth.

Are you talking about actual birth rates/death rates or total population growth? Cuz I know the US got over 8 million Mexican immigrants in the past decade and I assume France is in a similar situation with muslim immigrants. Plus I'm sure many muslims are emigrating FROM Algeria TO France. If you're talking about birth rate - death rate and not including immigration then you can ignore my post but if you aren't then the numbers are likely to be way off.

Are you talking about actual birth rates/death rates or total population growth? Cuz I know the US got over 8 million Mexican immigrants in the past decade and I assume France is in a similar situation with muslim immigrants. Plus I'm sure many muslims are emigrating FROM Algeria TO France. If you're talking about birth rate - death rate and not including immigration then you can ignore my post but if you aren't then the numbers are likely to be way off.

Fertility rate = the number children a woman is expected to get over the course of her lifetime. A low fertility rate doesn't automatically mean a low birth rate at the same time if there are still a lot of women in childbearing years, though it does indicate the birth rate will drop off (significantly) in the future.
Point being, this trend has been showing there doesn't appear an innate tendency for Muslims to have more children and that it depends on a variety of socio-economic factors, as it the case with people of other religions.

Overall, I think it's a bit dangerous to try to add to many determinants for population growth, particularly in the context of the 19th century, when there wasn't as much data about lifestandards and -styles of people as there is now.

How about giving France a modifier at the start of the game that stands for the "cultural" low birth rate which you may overcome by certain reforms or deeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.