• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes, I know, the doubt is exactly this, why a trait and not a blodline
Because sayyid and mirza do different things, despite both being (technically) bloodlines from the Prophet. (Basically mirza being a child of a female sayyid).

It's also not exactly a bloodline, otherwise it would also descend to his children via lines other than Fatimah, and to his other grandchildren via Fatimah and Ali.

It's kind of grandfathered in, although it's open to rework in mods, and might potentially reveal a way the traits could change in game, and allow for sayyid to mutate into mirza in appropriate situations.

Reactions:
Why do the descendants of the Prophet Muhammad do not have a bloodline of his own?
Hi , you can create the bloodline for your game easily. just find the game folder then follow this common\bloodlines\00_bloodlines.txt and copy then paste the code (you can change it)

Code:
Muhammad = { #Prophet of Islam (Custom)
    monthly_character_prestige = 1
    monthly_character_piety = 5
    diplomacy = 5
    command_modifier = {
        religious_enemy = 0.3
    }
    muslim_opinion = 20
    combat_rating = 20
    bloodline_effect_peace_prosperity = 1
    inheritance = all_descendants
    allow_bastards = no
    picture = GFX_bloodlines_symbol_sunni
    flags = { historical_bloodline }
}

then find this history\characters\bedouin_arabic.txt after that you need to add the following code :

Code:
    610.4.26={
        create_bloodline = {
            type = Muhammad
            has_dlc = "Holy Fury"
        }
    }

like this :

Code:
33922 = {
    name="Muhammad" # The Prophet
    dynasty=7296
    religion="sunni"
    culture="bedouin_arabic"
    father=33923
    occluded=yes
    martial=6
    diplomacy=8
    intrigue=5
    stewardship=8
    learning=10
    trait="mastermind_theologian"
    trait="sayyid"
    trait="mystic"
    trait="zealous"
    trait="patient"
    trait="gregarious"
    trait="ambitious"
    570.4.26={
        birth="570.4.26"
    }
    610.4.26={
        create_bloodline = {
            type = Muhammad
            has_dlc = "Holy Fury"
        }
    }
    632.6.8={
        death="632.6.8"
    }
}

then go to this address localisation\HolyFury.csv and add this : (13 ; in the end of lines)

Code:
Muhammad_desc;Muhammad was the prophet and founder of Islam.At age 40, he began to have revelations from Allah that became the basis for the Koran and the foundation of Islam. By 630 he had unified most of Arabia under a single religion.;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
Muhammad;Blood of Islam;;;;;;;;;;;;;x

like this :

holyfuryfile.png

now start the vanilla game (some mods will change the files in vanilla game so i can't promise that it will work. if you want it to work for 100% you need to play in vanilla)

blood of islam.png

Code:
33922 = {
    name="Muhammad" # The Prophet
    dynasty=7296
    religion="sunni"
    culture="bedouin_arabic"
    father=33923
    occluded=yes
    martial=6
    diplomacy=8
    intrigue=5
    stewardship=8
    learning=10
    trait="mastermind_theologian"
    trait="sayyid"
    trait="mystic"
    trait="zealous"
    trait="patient"
    trait="gregarious"
    trait="ambitious"
    570.4.26={
        birth="570.4.26"
    }
    610.4.26={
        create_bloodline = {
            type = Muhammad
            has_dlc = "Holy Fury"
        }
    }
    632.6.8={
        death="632.6.8"
    }
}

Would it be better to create the bloodline on Mohammed's grandfather and make it patrilineal, so that it follows similar rules to sayyid? (You might need to add it manually to Fatimah's kids.) (Or, alternatively, make it patrilineal and add it manually to Fatimah's kids and Mohammed's uncles.)

EDIT: Just noticed this is a necro. But possibly justified because it's adding something new...

Would it be better to create the bloodline on Mohammed's grandfather and make it patrilineal, so that it follows similar rules to sayyid? (You might need to add it manually to Fatimah's kids.) (Or, alternatively, make it patrilineal and add it manually to Fatimah's kids and Mohammed's uncles.)

EDIT: Just noticed this is a necro. But possibly justified because it's adding something new...
Sayyids are the descendants of the Prophet of Islam, not the uncle of the Prophet and Ali (the cousin and son-in-law of the Prophet) is an exception.

and if you see the first code there is this line in it :

Code:

and if you see the spoiler (result at the end) , you can see it is working :)

Sayyids are the descendants of the Prophet of Islam, not the uncle of the Prophet and Ali (the cousin and son-in-law of the Prophet) is an exception.

and if you see the first code there is this line in it :

Code:

and if you see the spoiler (result at the end) , you can see it is working :)
Yes, all_descendants is the reason this is working, because that's the only way the bloodline can pass through Fatimah.

My argument is that all_descendants isn't really desirable because:
  • Islam is portrayed in-game as the most extremely male-dominated religion (women can't inherit or press claims); and
  • every other vanilla bloodline (including from more egalitarian religions) is either patrilineal or matrilineal (not all_descendants); and
  • the existing sayyid/mirza trait makes a distinction between matrilineal and patrilineal descent.
Basically, propagating Muhammed's bloodline in an egalitarian way doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the game.

---

On the subject of the in-game definition of sayyid, I'm afraid you're wrong.

The description of the trait says that it comes from Mohammed's grandsons & uncles:
20210809231701_1.jpg

And you can see this if you go back in the family tree:
20210809231756_1.jpg20210809231752_1.jpg

(EDIT: I assume you're basing your assertions on the modern real-world definition, which might well be different to the in-game definition. Even then, I'd be surprised if the modern definition is completely uniform across all cultures and sects - there are literal billions of Muslims, and the faith is definitely not monolithic (eg. Shia vs Sunni). Further, the real-world definition has also probably changed over the past 1000 years, so it's probably not correct to assume that the definition of "sayyid" in the 11th century is the same as in the 21st century. And it's quite likely that there were mutiple different definitions in use during the game's timeframe. Which is why I think it's best to base everything on the existing in-game definitions, because at least that gives you internal consistency.)

---

Further, I suspect that your code would not give the bloodline to the Abbasids (unless there's a cross-link a few generations further down that I'm missing). The Abbasids do have the sayyid trait in-game (as do their cadet branches). So, arguably, they should also have the bloodline.

Last edited:
Yes, all_descendants is the reason this is working, because that's the only way the bloodline can pass through Fatimah.

My argument is that all_descendants isn't really desirable because:
  • Islam is portrayed in-game as the most extremely male-dominated religion (women can't inherit or press claims); and
  • every other vanilla bloodline (including from more egalitarian religions) is either patrilineal or matrilineal (not all_descendants); and
  • the existing sayyid/mirza trait makes a distinction between matrilineal and patrilineal descent.
Basically, propagating Muhammed's bloodline in an egalitarian way doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the game.

---

On the subject of the in-game definition of sayyid, I'm afraid you're wrong.

The description of the trait says that it comes from Mohammed's grandsons & uncles:
View attachment 746796

And you can see this if you go back in the family tree:
View attachment 746793View attachment 746794

(EDIT: I assume you're basing your assertions on the modern real-world definition, which might well be different to the in-game definition. Even then, I'd be surprised if the modern definition is completely uniform across all cultures and sects - there are literal billions of Muslims, and the faith is definitely not monolithic (eg. Shia vs Sunni). Further, the real-world definition has also probably changed over the past 1000 years, so it's probably not correct to assume that the definition of "sayyid" in the 11th century is the same as in the 21st century. And it's quite likely that there were mutiple different definitions in use during the game's timeframe. Which is why I think it's best to base everything on the existing in-game definitions, because at least that gives you internal consistency.)

---

Further, I suspect that your code would not give the bloodline to the Abbasids (unless there's a cross-link a few generations further down that I'm missing). The Abbasids do have the sayyid trait in-game (as do their cadet branches). So, arguably, they should also have the bloodline.
Definition of sayyid on the modern and the old one is same (at least in real-world):

sayyid.png

abbas and abu talib are not sayyid but in the game, it is different.
and there are some women in islam that considered as exceptions, someone like fatimah and As far as I know, there is equality between men and women in Islam, but in marriage, due to some regional customs, the children are known as father's last name and family.

the description in the game is completely wrong so i tried make it a little more accurate that only the childs of fatimah and ali are true heir to Muhammad.
Abbasids and umayyed are not sayyed but in the game they are lol .

what you are telling me is like to giving bloodline of richard the lionheart to his grandfather (you can do it because it is easy) but is it true to do it in the real world.
I prefer to play a historical game that looks more like reality :)

but if you want you can easily go to history\characters\bedouin_arabic.txt and search (ctrl+f) for 33924 (i think the id is for shaiba the grandfather of prophet) and add the code to his character.

Definition of sayyid on the modern and the old one is same (at least in real-world):

View attachment 746862

abbas and abu talib are not sayyid but in the game, it is different.
and there are some women in islam that considered as exceptions, someone like fatimah and As far as I know, there is equality between men and women in Islam, but in marriage, due to some regional customs, the children are known as father's last name and family.

the description in the game is completely wrong so i tried make it a little more accurate that only the childs of fatimah and ali are true heir to Muhammad.

what you are telling me is like to giving bloodline of richard the lionheart to his grandfather (you can do it because it is easy) but is it true to do it in the real world.
I prefer to play a historical game that looks more like reality :)

but if you want you can easily go to history\characters\bedouin_arabic.txt and search (ctrl+f) for 33924 (i think the id is for shaiba the grandfather of prophet) and add the code to his character.
Of course, this is my opinion and it may be different from your opinion and that of some other friends. :)

OK, this is the key point that you didn't state earlier: that you're deliberately choosing to differ from the in-game definition of sayyid. That is obviously your choice; I was just pointing out why I don't think this choice fits with the rest of the game.

Yeah, I agree it's a bit of a strange workaround, but it's probably a lot easier than doing something like Mardivij's bloodline (where the bloodline only exists on your dead brother, until you take a decision and get it for yourself).

It already exists as Sayeed.

The reason it isn't a bloodline is because in CK2 both parents can pass a bloodline down in a matrilineal marriage. Being a Sayeed means you're patrilineally descended from Mohammed* so allowing it to be passed down matrilineally would not be how Sayeeds work.

*at least in theory. I don't think there are many blonde-haired, blue-eyed Sayeeds walking around Poland and yet a Shia rising in k_poland will spawn one.

The reason it isn't a bloodline is because in CK2 both parents can pass a bloodline down in a matrilineal marriage. Being a Sayeed means you're patrilineally descended from Mohammed* so allowing it to be passed down matrilineally would not be how Sayeeds work.
FYI, the type of bloodline you want (patrilineal with no matrilineal transfer) is technically supported, although there are no vanilla bloodlines that make use of this particular combination.

The "problem" is that CK2's sayyid trait doesn't map well to bloodlines, as it has 4 starting points (Mohammed's 2 uncles and 2 grandsons), after which it proceeds patrilineally. Further, you would ideally want Mohammed's bloodline to show him as the bloodline founder, which doesn't mesh well with those 4 starting points.

Reactions:
FYI, the type of bloodline you want (patrilineal with no matrilineal transfer) is technically supported, although there are no vanilla bloodlines that make use of this particular combination.

The "problem" is that CK2's sayyid trait doesn't map well to bloodlines, as it has 4 starting points (Mohammed's 2 uncles and 2 grandsons), after which it proceeds patrilineally. Further, you would ideally want Mohammed's bloodline to show him as the bloodline founder, which doesn't mesh well with those 4 starting points.
They made that Zoroastrian bloodline in the 936 start apply to the guy's brother even though he (obviously) isn't a descendant of his brother. I don't see why they couldn't do the same thing to make the Sayyids part of the bloodline even though they wouldn't normally be under the normal rules.

They made that Zoroastrian bloodline in the 936 start apply to the guy's brother even though he (obviously) isn't a descendant of his brother. I don't see why they couldn't do the same thing to make the Sayyids part of the bloodline even though they wouldn't normally be under the normal rules.
Adding Mardavij's bloodline to his brother (Vushmgir) is done by event, and it only works because Vushmgir most likely doesn't have any great-grandchildren when he takes the decision. (Vushmgir's children and grandchildren are manually added to the bloodline by the same event.)

Code:
    vushmgir_brothers_legacy = {
        is_high_prio = yes
        only_independent = yes
        ai = no

potential = {
            NOT = { religion = zoroastrian }
            has_character_flag = is_vushmgir
            NOT = {
                any_owned_bloodline = {
                    has_bloodline_flag = bloodline_mardavij
                }
            }
            year <= 950
        }
        allow = {
            piety = 300
            war = no
            NOT = { trait = incapable }
            higher_tier_than = COUNT
            year <= 950
        }
        effect = {
            piety = -300

###SNIP - Add claims on Persia###

religion_authority = {
                modifier = ruler_converted_from
            }
            religion = zoroastrian
            hidden_tooltip = {
                religion_authority = {
                    modifier = ruler_converted_to
                }
            }
            if = {
                limit = {
                    NOT = {
                        any_owned_bloodline = {
                        }
                    }
                }
                any_bloodline = {
                    limit = {
                    }
                    add_bloodline_member = root
                }
            }
            any_child_even_if_dead = {
                show_scope_change = no
                if = {
                    limit = {
                        NOT = { religion = zoroastrian }
                    }
                    if = {
                        limit = {
                            higher_tier_than = BARON
                        }
                        religion_authority = {
                            modifier = ruler_converted_from
                        }
                        religion = zoroastrian
                        hidden_tooltip = {
                            religion_authority = {
                                modifier = ruler_converted_to
                            }
                        }
                    }
                    else = {
                        religion = zoroastrian
                    }
                }
                hidden_tooltip = {
                    if = {
                        limit = {
                            NOT = {
                                any_owned_bloodline = {
                                }
                            }
                        }
                        any_bloodline = {
                            limit = {
                            }
                            add_bloodline_member = PREV
                        }
                    }
                }
                any_child_even_if_dead = {
                    religion = zoroastrian
                    hidden_tooltip = {
                        if = {
                            limit = {
                                NOT = {
                                    any_owned_bloodline = {
                                    }
                                }
                            }
                            any_bloodline = {
                                limit = {
                                }
                                add_bloodline_member = PREV
                            }
                        }
                    }
                }
            }
        }
    }

You could in theory use the same approach for a sayyid bloodline, but:
  • You would need to trigger an event at game start, rather than simply modifying the history files; and
  • You would need a very large number of nested any_child_even_if_dead blocks to propagate to all male-line descendants.
    • There may be a limit to the amount of nesting that's permitted in the scripting language, so it'd probably be better to write a recursive event... which is harder.
    • If you use any_descendant then the code will be a lot simpler, but the bloodline will also be propagated through all dead female descendants. (If there are any; there probably are but I'm not sure.)
    • There is also the propagate_bloodline_from scripting command, which seems ideal, but there's probably a good reason it's almost never used.

Last edited:
I don't know about the coding so this might not work but an idea: they could keep the trait in the game and just have an event that finds anyone with the trait and adds them to the bloodline then removes the trait afterwards. Would that work?

I don't know about the coding so this might not work but an idea: they could keep the trait in the game and just have an event that finds anyone with the trait and adds them to the bloodline then removes the trait afterwards. Would that work?

Technically, yes. (Assuming you make it a patrilineal-only bloodline, so daughters can get the bloodline but can never pass it on.)

However:
  • "Mirza" would no longer be a thing. (Daughters would have the bloodline but would not be able to pass anything to their children.) Writing a workaround for this (that doesn't massively impact performance) might be tricky.
  • Removing the sayyid/mirza traits would break a few things - eg. creation of Caliphates. You'd need to search for those and write workarounds.