Project Glorious: The 'Classic' Classic shield-set nobody knew they needed.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ayeshteni

Jehanne's Slave
111 Badges
Jul 31, 2002
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Penumbra - Black Plague
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 200k Club
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Pride of Nations
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
FOR AN UNLIMITED TIME ONLY!!!!
AN ANCIENT NEW SHIELD-SET FOR VANILLA 'FOR THE GLORY'

For your decadent entertainment, may I introduce the Oldest Newest set of graphics to entertain, astound and question your sanity.

This is a folder of shields and small shields for when you wish to relive past glories. What does it contain, I hear you eagerly ask, well let me quench your insatiable thirst for knowledge. But first, a little context...

Once upon a time, before the wonders of 'For The Glory' stole our hearts, it's...erm, father (?) Europa Universalis 2 walked the land. EU2 would be laid to rest with the 1.09 patch that produced a kindergarten of new tags and updated shield-sets that would cross over in the main part into FtG. BUT! Before that final patch the graphics were untouched, and since then have never seen the light of day...

Forumite: "Oh God, you can't be serious..."

...UNTIL NOW! Without further ado let me present to you. Drumroll please. Thank you. A NEW Shield-set, please welcome back to the stage, my friend and yours, the ORIGINAL EU2 shield-set, supported by a dizzying supporting cast of 195 NEW shield-sets all designed in line with the originals...

Forumite: "You must be mad..."

- The originals were created in 8-bit Indexed. These have been updated to 24-bit RGB but the originals AND the 195 new sets all retain that retro Indexed look. AT NO EXTRA CHARGE!
- In what I can only define as an 'As designed' feature to highlight the fact that the shields served as buttons, 90% of the sets are designed with the 'Shooglies' (Scottish for 'Wobbly') moulded in.
- Spend hours of fun debating with your friends any anachronistic coats of arms for the time period as well as those which have actually improved over vanilla!

Forumite: "If you want me to phone a doctor, I'll be happy to oblige...?"

So if you, like me, like to sit in the dark crying under a table, reminiscing over old times and past glories, DOWNLOAD the Classic Classic set today!

Enjoy the Glorious Shield-set for VANILLA.

TO INSTALL:
Download the file.
Extract to your 'For The Glory/GFX/MAP' folder (It will NOT overwrite anything in the folder, but will place the 'Glorious' shields and a text file into the 'Shields' folder)
Start For the Glory - Original (no Mods)
Open the settings and select 'Glorious' Shield set.
Start a game
Weep with joy.

Best enjoyed in early 2000's monitor resolution for maximum effect, but still glorious in higher resolutions.

EDIT: file with tags included in the October 2023 Patch: https://www.mediafire.com/file/zl3bfxsvyda6m9u/Glorious_October.rar/file

EDIT: Now grab the graphics from the November 2023 Patch as well!!: https://www.mediafire.com/file/immrddzl092t7vf/GloriousNovember.rar/file

Aye.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
  • 3Haha
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Finally this game is now playable.
These good old dirty and shattered shields make me cry.
It remains only to transfer the music/songs from Europa Universalis 2, because the music in the FtG is nothing.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Finally this game is now playable.
These good old dirty and shattered shields make me cry.
It remains only to transfer the music/songs from Europa Universalis 2, because the music in the FtG is nothing.
Jolly good.

As it happens, I do have the EU2 music as the music folder.

Aye

Jolly good.

As it happens, I do have the EU2 music as the music folder.

Aye
How do you use it in the FtG?
I just deleted all the FtG music, copied all files from the EU2 music folder there, and renamed "frontend.txt" to "default.txt". Everything was fine except that the game played random music on startup, but I wanted that iconic"JDCD_315_10_GeorgeWhitehead". I then deleted everything in "default.txt", leaving only JDCD_315_10_GeorgeWhitehead alive. Now everything is fine. Except that now there is only one music in the frontend. Other than that, I see no difference in musical behaviour of the FtG and the EU2. Maybe I am blind (deaf).

Try having both a "frontend.txt" and a "default.txt", see if that will sort it? Otherwise I am unsure. The music will play depending on what music is within the 13.txt, 14.txt, 15.txt, 16.txt, 17.txt and 18.txt files. Oh you may have to create any of those that are missing.

Aye.

Try having both a "frontend.txt" and a "default.txt", see if that will sort it? Otherwise I am unsure. The music will play depending on what music is within the 13.txt, 14.txt, 15.txt, 16.txt, 17.txt and 18.txt files. Oh you may have to create any of those that are missing.

Aye.
No, the FtG does not look into the frontend.txt.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Look into that thread
it has a few music packs and in the course of the thread a lot of into how to use and sort the music to play randomly, by century, by country or by century and country.

Welcome Back dear friends!

I was attracted back with the sounds of wailing and gnashing of teeth as thousands of (in no way imaginary) friends feared they would not be able to use the Glorious Shield Set in their vanilla games with the advent of the new October patch.

But FEAR NOT! I have listened to the literally nowhere near tens of thousands of people who messaged me to bring out an update covering the tags that were included in the FTG1.3 October 2023 Patch. To use, extract the files into the 'Glorious' Shield folder...

Aye.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I have heard the commotion of you dedicated fans of the Glorious Shieldset, banging on my door dressed as policemen, demanding a release! And I have answered your call, if not the door. YES! I have spent at least three months toiling away at something else to finally bring you the whole four shieldsets to cover the 4 new tags from the FTG November 2023 patch! To use, extract into your Shields folder.

Enjoy!

Aye.

• 2Like
Reactions: