• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
sdcod5.jpg

My first game with the POP mod for Vicky 2. I decided to give it a run through as an unciv and the journey I embarked on was something I never could have imagined. It started out simply enough with me going to war with Panjab to try and cripple them early on. Soon I was at war with Panjab again this time allied to Persia and Kokland. I achieve total victory even starting another war against Burk as soon as that other war was over. Finally after years of fighting and westernising in 1880 I Civilised and became the Durrani Empire.

Prestige along got me high into the Secondary powers, enough to start colonising, but Japan had already beaten me to it as GP and failed to hold position. From that point on me and Japan were engaged in a point struggle for fifteen years. That was until the Communist Rebellion spread like wild fire through the world. A few minor nation fell at first and I was comfortable in the knowledge that it would probably never effect me. Then Belgium fell to revolutionary forces and the world was set a blaze. The French Republic fearing that Belgium would inspire revolt in their own nation declared war days later. The Belgium Revolutionaries were not without means to defend themselves. Mobilising their forces they were 500+ in strength rivalling France and most other nations in Europe. This would force France into focusing it's forces into Europe to protect the homes of its peoples while the larger Belgium Colonial forces would have been free to rip through Frances colonial holdings. They needed help, they needed an ally, they needed the Durrani.

The Durrani and Belgium people were not friends. In the past Belgium had forced Durani Empire to curb it's colonial ambitions. In return for this Belgium had been humiliated by the Durrani when the nation of Ethiopia had accepted the annexation into the Durrani rather than Belgium. France called upon the Durrnia to help and it had answered. 50,000 soldiers struck deep into the territory of Belgium Congo. They overran local defences and captured the entirety of the Belgium colonial force. Two years into the war the forces of Belgium surrendered and were forced to pay for the cost of the war. For Belgium it would be a humiliating defeat. Durrani would claim part of the parts of the Congo and the province of Boma. Columbia would gain the rest of the coast. If it were not enough to leave Belgium colonial holdings land locked Wallonia and Flanders were released. Belgium is now only a city state and empire only in name.

During this period The Great British Empire was racked with rebellions. To help with the running of the Empire the British government decided to release the territories Australia, South Africa and Canada would be freed, but this would not be the end of the matter. A month after Australia was released as a vassal a Jacobian revolution took hold freeing it from any remaining hold the British may have had. The Durrani saw this as an excellent opportunity to gain holdings in the Far East, where the ever unstable China continued to be a source of problems for neighbouring nations.

The war would prove to be a huge learning curve for the Durrani Empire. For years the Durrani had neglected the Military for industry and cultural advance, now it was time to pay for this neglect. The 12,000 Australian strong army was outnumber more than three to one. The result was a blood bath. For every Australian killed five Durrani soldiers lost their life. The war was won with a huge loss of life, but the lesson had been learnt. Over the next 10 years the Durrani Military would receive huge funding and research for modernisation. It would continue to lag behind until the beginning of the First World War.

Five years passed of peace when The Durrani turned their focus closer to home. During the interlude of wars with civilised nations the Durrani had been consuming the uncivs that surrounded the empire. Persia was the last of the central Asian nations to fall to the Durrani and with it for the first time in a hundred years the Persians and Pashtuns were united and the Durrani government wanted to cement it. Along with Persia the Arabian Peninsular had also been annexed. All that stood between the linking of both parts of the empire by land was an empire of old. The Ottoman. Though diminished and consumed by rebellion often, the relic was still dangerous with a mobilised army of 200. The Durrani had over 300+. What no nation had expected was the intervention of the USA. From a war that should have lasted a year it went took five. Only with the landing of troops on the Hawaii did the USA finally agree to the peace terms offered. The Durrani so close to their goal were stopped and today a gap of only 10 miles separate the two parts of the empire.

nejpq9.jpg

This would not be the end of matters for the two GPs. Both sides failed to achieve their goals. Previously friendly nations the two were now bitter enemies. Both sides looking for a chance to return the favour and GB was more than willing to offer one. The USA sensing the weakness of the British declared war on the empire to expand their territory in the north. With Britain weakened to the point of breaking they requested the aid of the Durrani. The Durrani landed troops on every pacific holding to the USA, but attempts to land in North America were defeated by a superior navy. A grim stalemate took place until the British finally succumbed to Fascists. The new government accepted peace with the USA and the Durrani were forced to step down.

The First World War began in winter 1922. France still allied with the Durrani was attacked by the Republic of Britannia. The war was historically seen as a huge tactile blunder as the now Modern and 400+ army of the Durrani broke through British defences in India, occupying most of north India before the war took a dramatic turn. Prussia had revolted with a military faction taking control of the government. This had been three year ago. Now with total control of the country it attacked France for the Rhine. With Prussia was Russia and a host of minor nations. Britannia sensing a chance to quit from the field without losing face whit peace with France. The new war began in earnest. It would later become the bloodiest war in the history of mankind with over a million deaths. Four years into the war the Austro-Hungarian Empire joined on the side of the Alliance/ The war finally ended in 1926. Russia would never gain recover. Prussian power had been destroyed and the map of the known world had been completely redrawn. So ends the History of the Durrani Empire.

2s6wne9.png

Man, I really wanna get PDM now, but does it overwrite the main game? Can you just load it from the thing in the loader like in EU3?

2011112100001k.jpg

The Confederate States of America separated from the United States for the freedom to promote their own culture: Dixie culture. However, after the Southern American Revolution, they soon came to realize that there is no place in the world for weak, shallow democracies: there must be order, strength, and power. So, adopting all that they have learned from the Jannissaries of the Ottoman Empire, the Spartans of the Kingdom of Greece, the Samurai of the Empire of Japan, and so many others, the Confederates re-emerged as the dominant strength of North America.

Washington, D.C. is now in ruins, and the United States' finds its last remaining capital to be in Alaska as the Dixies debate whether to release the Republic of California as a satellite, to gain and release the Republic of Deseret as well, and to claim Arizonia as its own. Oh, the debate; perhaps our fellow Spartans of the Paradox Forum will add their ideas/suggestions?

2011112000001j.jpg

Last edited:
Why exactly is the US capital in Alaska? Even if DC falls, the US would just move it to Philidelphia.
About suggestions, I say either release California or take Arizona and New Mexico, that way your only move into California isn't what looks like a 10 mile strip of land.

My kind of boring until 1906 Spain game...most recent version of PDM
V2_MAP_SPC_19351224_7.jpg

7CD7507F8D27E0727AD02C3E63E87E566BB13B85

8B9557077C25F34AAAB12D3C10E775C749CB92F9
I was so bored with it after colonizing most of Africa that I got up and left for half an hour while the game was running on 4x speed. I came back to a fascist revolution so I decided to live it up. Along with my faithful German allies (not even fascist at the time) we dismantled France, and I annexed southern France out of the deal, you know, for fun. Italy didn't like that so they tried to contain me, but I had an opportunistic conquest CB, so I just annex the whole thing. Not a single Italian rebellion in the last twenty years either. Life under Fascist Spain must have been a lot better :eek: ... Of course Germany (now fascist) didn't like my annexing policies, so my oldest and most faithful ally decided to try to contain me...and failed. All of these stacked great wars and dismantling actually lead to the Ukraine being a great power for about a decade before Russia recovered from their dismantling and beat the Ukraine back to secondary power status.

I did some cheating and tag swapping in the last month to give the world pretty borders. I should have legitimately been able to do the outside formation of Yugoslavia, but Croatia and Bosnia were both bugged out/double sphered by Germany and myself so I just went ahead and cheated to form them. I gave Bohemia the last province of Slovakia they needed to form Czechoslovakia too. Should've given the British a beating so I could have the rest of Africa and Gibraltar, but we were on relatively good terms by the end. Every single GP aside from the USA (communist) and Japan (the only democracy) was a fascist state. Was really cool to see civilized China and Japan in one game...they traded quite a few blows over the Vladivostok area

Oh and the only thing left from my Sikh -> India game from a few versions ago
V2_MAP_HND_1935123_1.jpg

Last edited:
V2_MAP_SPA_193681_1.jpg

I'm a Spaniard so I wanted to make a Spanish Empire like the old days :cool: It went very perfect, my first goal was the former Spanish colonies of the Americas. I let the US take the part of New Spain that they already had as core but fought them in wars for control of central america. Eventually in the end it was boring since it was only left with Britain and I and the Russian. The US were only in their own land.

Pacific Rim Alliance

I played my as Hawaii. What to do with a nation of 25K adult males in the middle of the ocean? They do have 80% literacy...

Step 1, The Best Things in Life Are Free.

With a GDP of about 6 gold at the start of the game, leaving taxes of 1-2 gold pieces for you, you learn to appreciate what you can do with a lot of nothing. The NF can be used to prop up promotion rates to the middle class (clergy / bureacrat / officer) even with low spending. The process for Hawaii went something like this: Raise officers to 0.2% (getting generals for MIL score), then clergy to 2% while keeping that steady, then bureaucrats to 1% while keeping the last two steady. Lastly, NF for soldiers so that you can have a brigade and actually win a fight.

Step 2, Get Tech and Prestige.

Get Freedom of Trade and then save for the 50% research boost at 1840. (Hawaii can get the 10k RP by then.) Then get Rights of Man and the plurality boost tech after that. Then get the entire prestige column available. Make sure to save points for whenever one of these columns gets a new tech available. Convert infamy into prestige by fighting some humiliation wars against Brunei.

Step 3, Civilize.

You'll need every advantage and some luck to get the 50 MIL score needed. I built ironclads and then stopped buying artillery / canned food / steamer convoys after there were enough supplies for building. Even doing this Hawaii was frequently brought back from the brink of bankruptcy for just building ships. I finally got the MIL score I needed in 1876.

Step 4, Prepare to Colonize.

Medicine, Nationalism and Imperialism, and Machine Guns are needed to colonize, so they are priorities. They were easier to get than actually civilizing. Heck, great power was easier to get than civilized. With the prestige I had gotten, I placed 7th immediately, and the only barrier to being GP was having a second state.

Step 5, Make a couple protectorates.

I needed them so that I could be a GP and make some money. I conqured Atjeh first. And then Brunei around the same time.

Step 6, Make some friends.

Japan was my first priority for friendship. After that it was Korea and then it was Mexico. I wanted to have powerful allies on either side of the Pacific.

Eventually I had put Japan, Korea, Johore, Java, Bali, Mexico, Ecuador, Peru, and Chile under my sphere of influence.

Step 7, Colonize.

This and tech and random events got the prestige score and the game. The AI was very slow to the pacific, with just France getting 1 Bruneai region and Russia getting an island shared with Japan.

Step 8, Exploit a Bug.

Colonizing the Hawaiian Islands causes your literacy to become 0% because you have no states. This has the interesting effect: Your current party is given 100% of the house. This allowed me to pass 4 health care bills and then to check off "ruling party only" as a communist party. I continued to pass 5 social reforms a year until the voters were allowed to pass the rest of the political reforms.

Step 9, Long Live the Pacific Rim Alliance!

The CSA was a thorn in the side of the USA all the way into the 1890s. I helped Mexico recover Nevada-Utah from the CSA with naval blockades.

Vietnam was a difficult battle to win, but with the help of Japan and Korea the victory was mine. I found out that the very best kind of general is the "artillery school" if you can only have 1 stack. The general that has +Def, +Attack, and +Speed can let you pause the game the same day you route the enemy, then start marching to end up where the enemy will be, earning you dug-in AND defensive terrain AND of course getting them when they're in poor shape. Between that general and tech, killed 5 or more of their guys for 1 of mine.

When France, the ally of Brazil, had engaged in a huge war involving the UK and Italy, there was an opportunity to return Potosi to Chile. France declined to aid them, resulting in a massive dogpile on Brazil that won them the land. I used the "free people" war declaration.

When England had undergone its communist rebellion, there was an opportunity to take down Siam, its sphereling. And so my alliance does so, after making sure the USA isn't friendly to it anymore first. The alliance wins a total victory capturing the opium states for Hawaii, Udon Thanai for Japan, and a slice of Cambodia for Venezuala.

Midwar the Netherlands had fallen to rebellion. It was easy work for the alliance to win this one, once the country had no allies. Concessions were made in the West Indies and in the islands of Southest Asia.

Step 10. the plateau.

I could succeed in making two states in the places where there were Polynesians enough to make Polynesian bureaucrats. But they didn't have population. The only way into population in a state would have been to annex it from a civ.

Hawaii held onto its Great Power status until 1920, when it considered retiring... at home, in a hammock between two palm trees. :)

V2_MAP_SPA_193681_1.jpg

I'm a Spaniard so I wanted to make a Spanish Empire like the old days :cool: It went very perfect, my first goal was the former Spanish colonies of the Americas. I let the US take the part of New Spain that they already had as core but fought them in wars for control of central america. Eventually in the end it was boring since it was only left with Britain and I and the Russian. The US were only in their own land.

Seriously how do you guys make this empire without being slaughtered by containment wars.

Seriously how do you guys make this empire without being slaughtered by containment wars.
By having twice the military score of your closest competitor, and being better at fighting wars than the AI.

By having twice the military score of your closest competitor, and being better at fighting wars than the AI.

Yea, all you have to do is make a nice defense, or just have a uber death stack and smash all the smaller armies into rubble, and then occupy the enemy lands after their armies are gone! Or just keep remobilizing after demobilizing so the flow of men you can have killed never ends!