• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Russia will just reduce your literacy further! The literacy issue is the reason that I won't attempt a Großdeutschland game as Prussia any longer. I'd much rather do it as Austria. I ought to rewrite the event for Austria and create a HRE tag. That said -- congratulations on a fairly early Großdeutschland and the European hegemony that is soon to follow!

Just release Hungary and friends as satellites! That'll raise your literacy by tons and gets rid of your more rebellious provinces while you're at it.

Russia will just reduce your literacy further! The literacy issue is the reason that I won't attempt a Großdeutschland game as Prussia any longer. I'd much rather do it as Austria. I ought to rewrite the event for Austria and create a HRE tag. That said -- congratulations on a fairly early Großdeutschland and the European hegemony that is soon to follow!

By the end game, it's not so bad. Before I conquered France in 1916, I controlled Italy, Germany, Poland, the formerly-Russian Baltic, and Austria-Hungary. My literacy was still around 92% before taking France (which bumped it up to around 95%).

I think it's a matter of how attentive you are to increasing literacy (that's all I used national focuses for and I maxed out lit and bureaucratic spending for the whole game) and at what point you annex AH. For some reason, it seems like the player's population will always grow at a faster rate than a similar AI nation (probably b/c AIs can't manage themselves and get large emigration and bad economies and stuff). If you annex AH late in the game (I did in 1880), you'll be massive enough that the drop won't matter (my Germany already had over 100 million by 1880, iirc... Austria Hungary was no drop in the bucket, but it only tanked me by maybe 8% or so). If you wait, AH won't be so large (which, although potentially hurting some of your score, means it won't drop lit so hard in the short term), and will probably be more literate than in the early stages.

My first game where I've been moderately successful, as the Netherlands in 1881:

Europe is pretty standard, but Prussia never did anything, I wonder why?

v2_4.jpg

Oh...

You know how Hamburg always goes bankrupt immediately?

v2_5.jpg

yeah.

Here's dutch Africa:
v2_6.jpg

v2_7.jpg

And Asia:
v2_8.jpg

And for completion's sake, here's the laziest USA ever.
v2_9.jpg

I feel like I've managed to get a good chunk of colonization, though I really shouldn't have let Spain grab quite as much as they did.

This is my latest game, running New Nations Mod and another mod I'm pretty sure I can't talk about here (don't ask).

If its the mod I think it is, then that would explain ugly ass Canada. It forces the release of the British dominions, which conflicts with NNM's Release decisions for the British Dominions, Like when the 'mod' you mentions releases Canada, NNM will go and release Quebec because Canada already exists.

It was me, France (great powers) and Brazil(in my sphere), vs all six other great powers. France understandably got their asses kicked. Brazil peaced out with nothing more than GW capitulation. We were also at war with Ottomans - I managed to get a capitulation out of them - and Mexico. I took all but one of Mexicos provinces in the peace deal, then got a repay debts casus belli, which allowed me to annex them.
Sn6MUAe.jpg

All of Canada fully occupied, giving me a +20 warscore.
08qhY6C.jpg

I originally had ambitions to take most of Canada with this war, but due to me being at war with all the Great Powers except France, I decided this was unpractical. I will settle for Cuba and 25% of Europe's tax income for a few years.
u06WGFw.jpg

Pax Americana time! Next time I will hopefully have the navy to comfortably attack Europe. Now I just need an ally.

How do you conquer capitals? Is it because you have cores?

If there are countries surrounding the Istanbul region then the capital moves to Ankara; similarrly with St. Peterburg and Moscow.

Beautiful! Now to satellite all those states with an Orthodox majority! -=cue Dr. Evil laugh=-

Thanks, that will be exactly my goal; liberating Albania, Montenegro, Serbia, Armenia and Bulgaria, ultimately sphering the remaining Ottoman Empire.

How do you conquer capitals? Is it because you have cores?

That's exactly why I liberated Bulgaria. If both surrounding provinces of western Thrace get occupied, Ottomans get an event that moves the capital.

My lithuanian "empire" :D Started as a puppet state of Russia and this is my 3rd game.

Now, Russians went to war with China and are getting their asses kicked.
Prussia owns 90% of Africa, but most of its territory is taken by rebels.

2ldyes6.jpg

2dv7qm8.jpg

last game before HoD
mcpxec.jpg

263d5i8.jpg

24y4uub.jpg

dztaqa.jpg

A French/Austrian/Italian Coalition lost a Great War versus a British/German/Belgian/Russian alliance, a defeat they never recovered from.
France got ripped apart by Belgium an later fell to Communist and Fascist uprisings. The Austrian empire fell apart in Venice, Ruthenia, Poland (annexed by Ruthenia later), Trieste and Slovenia.
Italy also fell apart past 1910, Venice even conquered some territories of them, together with the Swiss. The only "Italy" that remains, is the green spot left of Switzerland.

last game before HoD
-snip

A French/Austrian/Italian Coalition lost a Great War versus a British/German/Belgian/Russian alliance, a defeat they never recovered from.
France got ripped apart by Belgium an later fell to Communist and Fascist uprisings. The Austrian empire fell apart in Venice, Ruthenia, Poland (annexed by Ruthenia later), Trieste and Slovenia.
Italy also fell apart past 1910, Venice even conquered some territories of them, together with the Swiss. The only "Italy" that remains, is the green spot left of Switzerland.

Nice empire. :)
But this blue in southern greece is ugly, you should have removed it. ;)

My second real game and I must say that it was a good learning experience. Also my last AHD game.

154d7q9.jpg

My Fascist Germany was certainly interesting to play. Had a few great wars, but the last one in 1904-1906 was certainly devastating. It was fought against France and Russia, with me, UK, Spain, Italy, Ottoman Empire, and all the respective spherelings, against them. I won, but was days away from total bankruptcy. My industry which was once the envy of the world was shot. Half my industrial score (from 2800 to 1500) was gone and unemployment was rampant. So i nicely roleplayed the establishment of a fascist state, and with aggressive negative tarrifs, plus the subsidization of all industry I managed to double the pre-War industry score. It was terribly unsustainable, but it got my nation back on its feet and Germany was at 100% employment by the end of the game.

dzbad0.jpg

Interesting things to note:

-Europe was meta stable for the last 30 years, other than the semi-annual uprising of 300k-1 million German communists. No major wars, although it felt like we were on the brink of something huge. The Franco-Russian-Austrian Alliance was terribly powerful, but me and the UK were similarly powerful. Certainly would have made an interesting HoI game!

2m7uipw.jpg

-There were very few political upheavals. Only a handful of fascist states (Bhopal, Bolivia and Me i think), no communist states and all the rest were democracies and HM's governments.

-No one built dreadnoughts. My hilarious navy was like the only one in the world. Russia had an obscene number of cruisers, but no dreadnoughts.

-Germany produced 90% of the worlds electric gears, phones, tanks, and planes, and 40% of her steel. Overall i lead in the production of 22/47 goods, which isn't too shabby.

-Britain had a beasty military. Their standing army was a mind boggling 1284 brigades! With a further 1215 brigades if they mobilized! Puts my ~1000 brigades if I mobilized to shame!

-Spain gobbled a peice of France, yet France didn't seem to care. Despite trying to retake A-L a dozen times, they never once tried to reclaim the territory Spain took.

-US never really took off this game, ending in like 6th or 7th place I think. Same with France, who got beat in all the Great Wars.

I'm not sure how to take a map of the world on steam though.