• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

LAF1994

General
82 Badges
Aug 5, 2008
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis III
The 'political concerns' modifier needs to be removed. It's an arbitrary modifier that causes the AI to refuse potentially useful NAPs/alliances for no good reason.

Yeah, it's conflicting modifier.
In order to make naps and alliances you have to be married to them. Marriages give claims. Claims give you an ability to swallow whole realms in one munch. So, no naps or alliances for you.

It also prevents stronger people getting claims on their stuff. And that's what the player is really after

It seems to me that if the point of the game is to be a medieval dynastic simulator, teaching the AI to avoid giving claims to people would get in the way of the intended core gameplay. All you have left then are invasions and holy wars and then you're basically back to playing Total War with automatic battles.

It seems to me that if the point of the game is to be a medieval dynastic simulator, teaching the AI to avoid giving claims to people would get in the way of the intended core gameplay.
It's not like you can't claims through marriage. But it's not always as easy as marrying the princess. And in some case a realm would indeed be concerned about being swallowed. The problem is that in other cases they would benefit far more from an alliance and that an AI can't really make a proper decision about what is better in a certain situation

The basic point is that the harder it is to get claims, the more people will rely on other CBs. If you're marrying anything less than a princess that land is already easier gained in a holy war or two.

That's really the big reason why I'm bothered by political concerns. Claims are already such a slow method of expansion compared to holy wars, great holy wars, and invasions that I never really bother and the only claims I use on a regular basis are ones fabricated by my Chancellor when I'm still small. As a result, whenever I'm trying to get a marriage it's 99% of the time because I'm genuinely interested in a military alliance and the AI has nothing to worry about giving me claims. If I really want their land, it'll likely be mine decades before the claim would ever become relevant.

I'm not entirely opposed to there being a political concerns modifier, but right now it's too big and too opaque. The game doesn't do a good job of showing what is causing "political concerns" and there's no real way to overcome them. So if you have political concerns that just means you can forget about getting a marriage, period. Political concerns first need to become transparent, so that we know what's causing them and can work on finding way to alleviate the AI's "fears". And secondly it needs to be significantly reduced, so that we have a chance of finding a way around it.

As a big nation, you don't necessarily need a formal alliance to babysit small nations. You just gotta' periodically check to see if they're at war and then join in manually.

At the very least it needs to be explained more. Perhaps the AI has a good reason not to make a particular alliance/marriage. I seriously doubt it, but it's possible. By labelling it the very ambiguous "political concerns", it's impossible to tell what you'd need to do to fix it. Furthermore, people have been using the ambiguity as a shield to defend the AI's inscrutable actions, being excessively charitable towards the AI logic and implying/assuming it's playing 3D chess. In reality, the AI is probably just poorly calibrated.

There's a modfier for "you are a thread" which is much better than "political concers"

However I kinda like that modifier because it basically does what it's supposed to do: If you are strong and trying to get stronger, people have political concerns and won't help you. If you are targeting someone who is strong and might be a thread, people have political concerns against your target and help you

It's not arbitrary at all

There's a modfier for "you are a thread" which is much better than "political concers"

However I kinda like that modifier because it basically does what it's supposed to do: If you are strong and trying to get stronger, people have political concerns and won't help you. If you are targeting someone who is strong and might be a thread, people have political concerns against your target and help you

I am not a thread, though, so this should only happen if the AI has the Blinded trait. :p

Jokes aside, do we even have a firm answer as to what causes the AI to have this objection? I have checked both the Wiki and some hits from googling the topic, and nobody had a firm answer.

I'm late to this discussion, but I'm wondering if the large amount of "political concerns" malus comes from having Jade Dragon and Horse Lords DLC enabled.

In the base game, you have to fabricate, lure a disgruntled secondary heir, sire a noble child, or suck up to the Pope to get a claim on a fellow Catholic ruler. But if the JD CBs rule or Horse Lords is enabled, everyone ruler has the potential to attack their neighbors with Border Dispute or the Tribute CB. Maybe this is why the AI is so reluctant to accept marriage offers from nearby rulers- they don't want to "lose" the CB, even though in most cases they will never use that CB. I really noticed this when going for the Outside Bet achievement, as none of the usual nearby suspects from old videos would accept any marriage offers from Denmark.

Of course, I didn't buy those DLCs to leave them off all the time, so this isn't a solution, just an potential explanation. Thoughts?

In my experience, when rulers won't agree to marriages due to "political concerns" it's usually realms that realistically would be rivals to mine, which makes sense to me.

Yeah, it's conflicting modifier.
In order to make naps and alliances you have to be married to them. Marriages give claims. Claims give you an ability to swallow whole realms in one munch. So, no naps or alliances for you.
It's true that marriages do give claims and there have been some cases where rulers were aware of this and denied marriages. E.g. Basil II prevented his nieces from marrying during his reign because he was afraid the nephew-in-law usurp the throne.

But generally such view was not held, for almost any person of the family could have been a threat, e.g. several sons coerced their fathers into early retirement. So, transforming potential enemies into allies was preferable action, especially if it had even the smallest chance of resolving a dispute, even if could lead to another conflict in the future.

In my experience, when rulers won't agree to marriages due to "political concerns" it's usually realms that realistically would be rivals to mine, which makes sense to me.
But rivals did marry; just look at France and England, England and Scotland, Castile and Portugal. If anything, "political concerns" should increase the desire to marry.

Shouldn't being a threat make others more likely to agree to an alliance?

The 'political concerns' modifier needs to be removed. It's an arbitrary modifier that causes the AI to refuse potentially useful NAPs/alliances for no good reason.
I usually read "Political Concerns" as "No, because you want my stuff" or "No, because I want your stuff".

I think it has validity that way.