• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

yurcick

Colonel
63 Badges
May 22, 2010
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • War of the Roses
I want to start my post with a today's screenshot. It doesn't really form an argument, but it is emblematic of the state of PDS/PDX releases of the last decade.
photo_2024-03-23_22-51-33.jpg

I think that PDX should reconsider their stance on QA's work. In addition to frustrated ramble I actually have a more or less specific suggestion on what improvements should be made for some of the problems to never reappear. I think that while the PDX'es semi-monopolistic position has so far prevented the true GSG competition from appearing, the quality fell dramatically enough that it's only a matter of time before PDX loses its edge, unless the situation changes. I hope that Project Tinto is in the stage of development where the suggestion can still be implemented.

Some disclaimers:
1) by my work, I'm not a QA professional, and while I interact with these sometimes from a business side (i.e. I need some work do be done by development, and after it's done, QA sometimes works with me to ensure that the end result fits), I am not at all an expert in the field
2) I'm absolutely not blaming any specific QA guys or even teams. I tried discussing this on the V3 Discord, and got very angry answers from usually very friendly PDS team members. The answers were along the lines of "it's not really QA job, they just flag the problems they find" and "the guys are doing their best, given the circumstances". However, those are not on point. I'm unhappy, and I believe, objectively unhappy with the quality in most senses. In other words, in a lot of the latest PDX releases, quality is not assured. If QA teams in PDX are not responsible for that, then it's the question for Johan and game directors, "what can be done about it"

So, apart from the very humble ask to just invest more in releasing the games and their updates more polished, I actually have one specific thing I would want to discuss.
That is the emphasis on simulation testing and metrics-measured approach to problem finding.
While I know that some "overnight testing" is done, I believe that the importance of it is strongly underestimated by the devs of all games. I think that massive playerless simulation should be the main tool for testing the builds that don't actually CTD on day 1.

I think that a combination of initial testing and expert opinion should be done to determine non-anomalous distributions of a lot of metrics over multiple playthroughs:
"Number of wars declared during the game", "number of wars won by the attacker", "sum of construction ability of top-10 countries in exactly the middle of the game", "number of people migrated to the New World over the course of the game", "number of buildings X built by all nations for each decade", "number of alliances formed, honoured and broken", "rules with trait X appearing" etc, literally thousand of metrics.
Then all new builds should be sent to playerless testing to get literally hundreds of results. Anomalies in the metrics in the new builds should give alerts that a QA person will then check, depending on the alert severity.
This approach will prevent shipping patches with problems like:
1) After year 10, the game inevitably CTDs because of a broken event for some country on the edge of the world firing after its leader changes
2) Characters are immortal when they shouldn't be
3) AI never declares war
4) AI stops building
5) Migration brakes or works only under very rare circumstances

This (buying 100 high-end PCs and waiting some time for each build) doesn't seem very expensive compared to the severity of the current problems or the labour cost of QA, and I really don't understand why this approach hasn't been implemented yet.

I really want the PDX games to get better, and I hope that this thread will at least spur a discussion on what can be done to avoid disasters in release builds.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Moved to general discussion forum.

Paradox have minimal interest in QA. It's money wasted that could be better spent on attracting a new customer. All Paradox have to do is keep a player past the 2 hour Steam window and they've got their money and will never give it back.

In 2019 they fired the entire in-house QA department in Sweden, the Cities Skylines 2 CEO confirmed that they weren't required to have in-house QA as a developer, the swathe of poor game launches, all point to an executive culture where an acceptable quality for the games have been detached from being a necessary requirement to launch it.

The only way this situation will change is if people stop pre-ordering, and stop buying until a community consensus can develop that says "yes, this game has launched in an appropriate state, it is worth paying for".

Reactions:
I can say that the recent release delays are music to my ears.

I was actually close to taking a week off for V3 SoI in May, and missed narrowly. So I'm really anticipating the release. However, the "ship it if it builds" policy (whether it was intended or not) did a lot of harm, and it seems that PDX are doing a 180 on that, about which I'm really happy.

I hope they begin to reinvest back into their QA and can prevent these issues from happening in the first place, along with adjusting their expectations for how quickly their games can be made, to avoid having to delay things in the first place.

• 1Like
Reactions:
In 2019 they fired the entire in-house QA department in Sweden,

Thats a myth. PDS still had their internal QA teams around, which was far far more people.

Thats a myth. PDS still had their internal QA teams around, which was far far more people.
So RPS just lied? Their report on this was pretty specific that the internal publishing department's QA team in Sweden was all fired in April/May 2019. Anyway, that is old news.

Does your new game have an internal QA team? Or has it been outsourced like the Skylines 2 QA was?

So RPS just lied? Their report on this was pretty specific that the internal publishing department's QA team in Sweden was all fired in April/May 2019. Anyway, that is old news.

Does your new game have an internal QA team? Or has it been outsourced like the Skylines 2 QA was?
OP was talking about PDS game stuff and your post said “entire in-house QA”. Every single PDS game has had a full internal QA team and so does Tinto.

There are someone with about 5k hours EUIV career working as QA in Tinto, according to this.

But I'll still complain about the QA on localisations - I complain about it everywhere I go, sorry. This seems to be an issue that the localisation department is responsible for and the specific studio has little jurisdiction over it.

• 1Like
Reactions:
No, they were very specific most folks just don't really get the different branches of Paradox. Paradox (PDI) let their Publishing QA Department go, that has nothing to do with the titles that Paradox develops in-house (PDS). The Publishing arm of Paradox is responsible for the titles that they publish from other studios/teams, projects like Surviving, Battletech, Prison Architect & Age of Wonders. This transition mostly put a higher level of control regarding QA with the teams/projects themselves.

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions: