• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Belarus? Lithuania? Tell me these countries are playable in Victoria II also, please :D If yes, I will take Prussia and set free Poland, Lithuania, Belarus, Romania, Ukraine... freedom! :cool:

You can't free Romania, One of the principalities has to unite it I guess.

Bohemia also makes more sense for the great majority of the game

Why that?
The era saw the rise of nationalism in the Austrian empire and I can't really see the Czechs of Bohemia wanting to live in a state that excludes the Czechs of Moravia, nor the Germans of to be separated from Germany/Austria.

You could liberate Romania in Vic1.

But you first have to conquer both Principalities for that. ;)
There probably is a decision for both of them to form a united Romania.

Since this is "releasing countries thread":
I would very much appreciate it if the releasing gets a bit more intuitive. If I conquer the Russian parts of Poland as Prussia why can't I release a Poland consisting only of these? I obviously don't want to give Poland tons of German majority provinces like Danzig.

Why that?
The era saw the rise of nationalism in the Austrian empire and I can't really see the Czechs of Bohemia wanting to live in a state that excludes the Czechs of Moravia, nor the Germans of to be separated from Germany/Austria.

Sorry for maybe misleading concept. The fact is that there is no cultural difference between people from Bohemia and Moravia. There was also no kind of separatist movement in Moravia (except for Hussite wars, but that was question of religion and way before nationalism). So the word Bohemia is just used for everything containing modern Czech Republic. The whole think was called Kingdom of Bohemia (Království české) and it in included various places in various times, but always Bohemia and Moravia (in fact Moravia was often used as Wales or Dauphane).

So to make long story short. When I refered to Bohemia I ment core lands of Kingdom of Bohemia since there is no sense separating Bohemia and Moravia for the purpouse of nationalism. I didn't use the Czech Republic because it is modern term and I was simply refering to the fact, that Czechoslovakia was concept of Realpolitik and even in 1910 noone would ever come with this idea.

I'm guessing there will be all the same starting nations as in Vicky 1, and all the same revolters.
I'm pretty sure there are lists kicking about in the Vicky 1 modding forum if anyone really wants to see who can be played and who can't.

Belarus was... and it was nice to cut the big bear a little without having
to hold the territory by yourself ;)
Russia is scary big, every possibility (eg. Caucasus region Minors) to cut it will please me :)

In V1 there was no Belarus... maybe you're thinking of VIP?

What about American minors?
Texas and the Confederacy are in, of course, but what about less successful and non-historical revolters like New England, Quebec, California, ect.?

I never played original Victoria, but wasn't there something like if you try to prevent the Confederacy from breaking away New England will revolt instead?

Or what about in other parts of the world, like China?
The beginning of the Chinese Civil War was at the very end of the game's timeframe, although I doubt it was scripted or modeled in any way because it won't be likely to happen.

The Rio Grande Republic, the Regency of Carnaro...

Only some interesting "countries" not included in V1 or (I think) in VIP...

What about American minors?
Texas and the Confederacy are in, of course, but what about less successful and non-historical revolters like New England, Quebec, California, ect.?

I never played original Victoria, but wasn't there something like if you try to prevent the Confederacy from breaking away New England will revolt instead?

In V1 we had California, New England, Texas, Deseret, Manhattan Commune and that's it for potential American minors IIRC.

It's absolutely impossible to list all countries though, there are just way too many.

What? Paradox has made every country from 1836-1936 in Victoria 2, as well as a few ahistorical ones, and all of their flags and provinces, correctly named.

Listing them all is well within the realm of possibility. In fact there will probably be a txt file in the common folder of Victoria 2 with all nations and tags.

Sorry for maybe misleading concept. The fact is that there is no cultural difference between people from Bohemia and Moravia. There was also no kind of separatist movement in Moravia (except for Hussite wars, but that was question of religion and way before nationalism). So the word Bohemia is just used for everything containing modern Czech Republic. The whole think was called Kingdom of Bohemia (Království české) and it in included various places in various times, but always Bohemia and Moravia (in fact Moravia was often used as Wales or Dauphane).

So to make long story short. When I refered to Bohemia I ment core lands of Kingdom of Bohemia since there is no sense separating Bohemia and Moravia for the purpouse of nationalism. I didn't use the Czech Republic because it is modern term and I was simply refering to the fact, that Czechoslovakia was concept of Realpolitik and even in 1910 noone would ever come with this idea.

Just out of curiosity, why call it the Czech Republic now, and not Bohemia? Is there some significance to that, or just arbitrary choice?

Garak, I am not sure but Bohemia is the name of region. The Kingdom of Bohemia and Moravia - Bohemia-west, Moravia-east. In past there were nothing like nations. First national "king" was Napoleon Bonaparte. So king of Bohemia and Moravia wasn't the king of czech people but king of lands - Bohemia and Moravia.

After XIX century, when national sentiments came out, after the fall of absolute monarchies, people became the rulers because of democracy. So they wanted to show it by name - Czechoslovakia - country of Czech and Slovkas. Now, Czech Republic - the republic of Czech people.

Just out of curiosity, why call it the Czech Republic now, and not Bohemia? Is there some significance to that, or just arbitrary choice?
Good question, but maybe for someone with more english skill then me. In czech there is very small difference. Čechy for Bohemia and Česko for Czech Republic and even just few years back Čechy was more used then Česko.

My guess would be that USA is to blame ;) President Willson supported the idea of national states and not historical states, so the new name Czechoslovakia was used to reflect the fact, that it is supposed to be land of two nations, Czechs and Slovaks and not a historical country of Bohemia that always had a lot of Germans, Silesians and Poles, but no Slovaks. After the separation in 1993 it was stupid to go back and the Czech Republic remained.

That is also why prior to 1918 I always use Bohemia. And why there should be two countries possible. Typical czech separatists should opt for Bohemia while Pan-slavic for Czechoslovakia, althouth they should appear somewhat later. As I said, Czechoslovakia was just product of very few people trying to convince Woodrow Willson to give us his blessing. and judging from the screenshots with Slovenian and Yugoslavian rebels, this should be at least possible to mod :)

Bohemia is the name of the Kingdom within the Holy Roman Empire (of the German Nation as it was later called). Everything that reminded of the mutual tradition between Czechs and Germans for centuries wasn't "chic" after Germany lost the war. That's why they call it "Chech". The reason why they put Slowakia together with the Chech was simply because then the remaining germans made less percent of the population. And yep, this was racial politics made by the US to surpress Germans. And no, that does not justify what later happened but it's a fact.

And to go back to the topic: A country-name depends on WHO formed it and what INTENTION he had by doing so. So the best sollution would be to have both Bohemia AND Checz Republic in the game. For example if Austria forms it it would be clearly named "Bohemia" but if some external Power formed it or it is done by revolt the situation could be much different.

And to go back to the topic: A country-name depends on WHO formed it and what INTENTION he had by doing so. So the best sollution would be to have both Bohemia AND Checz Republic in the game. For example if Austria forms it it would be clearly named "Bohemia" but if some external Power formed it or it is done by revolt the situation could be much different.
It's no biggy, but here I disagree. Czech Republic is useless term for this game. Internal revolt would always form Bohemia just because the nationalists looked fondly to the past (quite typical all around the world) and external power either wouldn't care about nationalistic implications or would, but that would also prohibit this name just because the rate of Czechs and Germans was roughly 50:50.

At the start of the campaign you can choose every country that existed in 1836. On top of that, there are numerous countries that can appear during the game, including Poland, which you can then switch to by saving the game and reloading as that country.

It's absolutely impossible to list all countries though, there are just way too many.

Not true. Paradox has opted for an alt history reality in Vicky 2, just as in Vicky 1, where Norway, with its own parliament, army and merchant marine is instead an integral part of Sweden. It should be a satellite. VIP and other mods corrected this.

So with the current setup, it will be easy as pie for the Swedish player to form Scandinavia and live out their delusions of grandeur! :D In Vicky 1 vanilla it was the same thing. Just support Denmark in their war with Germany, and voila, Scandinavia forms. Way too easy and unrealistic.

Not true. Paradox has opted for an alt history reality in Vicky 2, just as in Vicky 1, where Norway, with its own parliament, army and merchant marine is instead an integral part of Sweden. It should be a satellite. VIP and other mods corrected this.

So with the current setup, it will be easy as pie for the Swedish player to form Scandinavia and live out their delusions of grandeur! :D In Vicky 1 vanilla it was the same thing. Just support Denmark in their war with Germany, and voila, Scandinavia forms. Way too easy and unrealistic.

OT

Heh, the coal mine the VIP team put into the malmö province for some reason almost made up the the economic benefits that were lost in making Norway a satelite:D

While I perfectly understand why someone would like to free and play his country, can it be even fun to play Iceland? What is there to do?

Well, I haven't played Victoria 1 so I don't know exactly how the game mechanics are. But since Victoria 2 is a in depth economic and a social as well as a political game I am assuming that there is always something to do regardless of what country your playing since the gameplay isn't as simple as just "attack all who are weaker until you dominate" like it is in the Hearts of Iron or even the Europa Universalis franchise.

And who knows! Perhaps If I play the game cleverly I can ally my self with some of Denmarks rivals and then wait for the right moment to take Greenland (assuming that Greenland is actually on the game map that is, lol). Its a huge pity that the recently discovered supplies of oil in Greenland probably won't be represented in the game, or else I could have taken advantage of it to make my little yet fantastic country rich and powerful :(

Well, I haven't played Victoria 1 so I don't know exactly how the game mechanics are. But since Victoria 2 is a in depth economic and a social as well as a political game I am assuming that there is always something to do regardless of what country your playing since the gameplay isn't as simple as just "attack all who are weaker until you dominate" like it is in the Hearts of Iron or even the Europa Universalis franchise.

And who knows! Perhaps If I play the game cleverly I can ally my self with some of Denmarks rivals and then wait for the right moment to take Greenland (assuming that Greenland is actually on the game map that is, lol). Its a huge pity that the recently discovered supplies of oil in Greenland probably won't be represented in the game, or else I could have taken advantage of it to make my little yet fantastic country rich and powerful :(

Wouldnt count on it, since in Vicky population is the most important of all the resources;)

Status
Not open for further replies.