• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, that's how it works. Unless your name has 3 words/names in it and not just 2.

For example, I was named Sveinn Dagur, and my father's first name is Rafn. And thus I was named Sveinn Dagur Rafnsson.

I will admit that it is a fairly complex system that we use here, but that just makes us more special. :p
So, in that case, is Johan Ander's son?

Isn't Iceland often given as the example of last "ethnically pure" (don't read racism here) country in Europe? That alone should give you some attention :)

It could also be mockingly called "inbred", since the isolation is what has caused the remarkable genetic homogenity exhibited by icelanders (sorry for the sudden spout of complex words). No offense intended :p

And Sweden (probably Norway and Denmark) and Finland used to have the patronyms as well, but at some point (in Finland this was the 18th-19th century for most rural folk I think, nobles and the Bourgoisie did it earlier of course), people switched from just using first name + patronym to using actual surnames. In Sweden at least it's relatively common to have a surname that used to be a patronym (so Johan does have an Anders somewhere in his forefathers). In Finland, it's almost unheard of, but it's something of a trend I think to have a patronym as an extra first name.

In Slavic countries, patronyms (as an extra first name) are still widespread. Iceland is the only western country that only uses them and doesn't have actual surnames.

Yes, that's how it works. Unless your name has 3 words/names in it and not just 2.

For example, I was named Sveinn Dagur, and my father's first name is Rafn. And thus I was named Sveinn Dagur Rafnsson.

I will admit that it is a fairly complex system that we use here, but that just makes us more special. :p
So your children would be called Sveindagursson or Sveindagursdottir? :p

I think this thread has derailed sufficiently to be closed.

All will be revealed when the game has public release in less than a month.

Thread closed

Status
Not open for further replies.