• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
omg omg omg. Just read this and omg omg omg is about all that comes to mind. Hawaii should surely bring on my omg's than Tibet

Sleepyhead said:
How did you get 6 leaders before 1837?

Good job btw.

Am I missing something?

The April '37 screenie shows my troops in six commands, divided into five groups of 3 irregular division and one group with just one division. No leaders, however.

If I recall correctly, luxury furniture to promote officers became available on the WM a few years later, '43 or '44. I had at least a few leaders for the invasion of India, but the prior military actions were done without leaders.

The ability to assign divisions to groups of various sizes does not depend on leaders.

Falconhurst said:
Am I missing something?

The April '37 screenie shows my troops in six commands, divided into five groups of 3 irregular division and one group with just one division. No leaders, however.

If I recall correctly, luxury furniture to promote officers became available on the WM a few years later, '43 or '44. I had at least a few leaders for the invasion of India, but the prior military actions were done without leaders.

The ability to assign divisions to groups of various sizes does not depend on leaders.
Yes but the text is bolded, bolded text on divisions in that field means they got a leader assigned to them. That's why I'm asking.

Sleepyhead said:
Yes but the text is bolded, bolded text on divisions in that field means they got a leader assigned to them. That's why I'm asking.

Excellent pickup. You have better eyes than I do. On my screen it the difference is very subtle and seems to be only that divisions with leaders show up in text slightly brighter. I played the initial few years part three times to experiment with different approaches to understand possible roads for expansion. On my first trial, I gave Tibet some leaders to deal with the attrition: then once I got used to the uncivs, I went back for the real thing without and succeeded with rapid conquest and annexation. I must have saved an initial screenshot and, not being aware of the bold, didn't recognize it as a being from a trial session. That's a big error on my part; I will sort through my pix and replace this with the correct screenie.

I do stand by my AAR in that Punjab can reliably be beaten with 15-20 leaderless irregular divisions; I've done it in several tests and invite anyone to verify this with the same strategies laid out here under the several sections on irregular tactics. The overall strategy and can be improved in many ways also in points I have previously addressed.

Now in my Hawaii AAR, I couldn't beat African tribesmen (who have their own quite good leaders) without giving the country three leaders, as is disclosed in the first post of that AAR. Too many failed trials there.

Sorry for the goof-up.

Falconhurst said:
Excellent pickup. You have better eyes than I do. On my screen it the difference is very subtle and seems to be only that divisions with leaders show up in text slightly brighter. I played the initial few years part three times to experiment with different approaches to understand possible roads for expansion. On my first trial, I gave Tibet some leaders to deal with the attrition: then once I got used to the uncivs, I went back for the real thing without and succeeded with rapid conquest and annexation. I must have saved an initial screenshot and, not being aware of the bold, didn't recognize it as a being from a trial session. That's a big error on my part; I will sort through my pix and replace this with the correct screenie.

I do stand by my AAR in that Punjab can reliably be beaten with 15-20 leaderless irregular divisions; I've done it in several tests and invite anyone to verify this with the same strategies laid out here under the several sections on irregular tactics. The overall strategy and can be improved in many ways also in points I have previously addressed.

Now in my Hawaii AAR, I couldn't beat African tribesmen (who have their own quite good leaders) without giving the country three leaders, as is disclosed in the first post of that AAR. Too many failed trials there.

Sorry for the goof-up.
Yeah well I kinda wondered, in the June 20 screenshot you got a leader in all your divisions and 83 other ones in your leadership pool.

Doing anything as Hawaii is considered a success :D

Here are some leaderless shots of the conquest of Punjab. Someone else had previously mentioned that battle screenies would be nice. I have to admit afr cleaning out some files (Vicky save files & screenies are huge and I had to clean shop for my new AAR), that this is a reenactment and so some of the dates & other numbers may not match exactly to the original. Also with 15 irregular divisions, + 1 regular (the starting Tibetan army):

tibet40.jpg

tibet41.jpg

tibet42.jpg

tibet43.jpg

tibet44.jpg

You can see that leaderless irregular conquest works quite well at least in this situation. There is some irregular attrition, but the armies of Punjab are pretty much annihilated. There are some tricks you have to use though: fast strike before attrition sets in, flanking the enemy from 2 (or more) sides when possible, and if the enemy reinforces, all the better as it will destroy his organization and morale. I did have to retreat from only one battle but then was victorious when reinforcements arrived a few days later. This time I was smarter and made my soldiers Beifangren nationality from Gar, rather than native Tibetans.

lz14 said:
He already said he traded for freedom of trade.

Yes, along with many other industry techs that he could not have possibly gotten as an uncivilized nation. OK now I can see how you could get the necessary MP to build 5+ factories, even if they each required 3MP, but how do you explain getting industry techs that required prerequisites? I now know that it's possible to get that 50 industry, but how did you get the techs?

Lord Warchaser said:
He already said he traded for freedom of trade...Yes, along with many other industry techs that he could not have possibly gotten as an uncivilized nation. OK now I can see how you could get the necessary MP to build 5+ factories, even if they each required 3MP, but how do you explain getting industry techs that required prerequisites? I now know that it's possible to get that 50 industry, but how did you get the techs?

Lord Warchaser, it would certainly be a service to everyone if you would educate yourself at least a little bit before making false accusations. Please tell me... What are the industry techs Tibet acquired as an uncivilized nation that required prerequisites? What are the "many other industry techs [Tibet] could not have possibly gotten as an uncivilized nation?" Of course you can't answer this, as there weren't any. Freedom of Trade is a commercial, not an industrial tech, anyway. The strategies I have expounded are open; anyone is welcome to try them and verify for themselves that they work.

Perhaps you are assuming that the MPs for factories were attained through tech discovery rather than off the WM? I bought the MPs necessary for the factories off the WM when they became available some 20 years into the game, as explicitly stated in the AAR.

I traded with Russia for only one commercial tech (freedom of trade) and one industrial tech (water wheel power), in addition to the military techs, as all described accurately in prior posts of this AAR.

From the VickyWiki:

Freedom of Trade. Prerequisites: None
Water Wheel Power. Prerequisites: None

Why don't you try it yourself. Load up an uncivilized nation with zero techs, and open relations with a civilized country, and see what techs you can trade for. You will see that these techs I have listed can be readily acquired, individually or in combination, by any uncivilized nation from any civilized nation.

Last edited:
I dub thee God of Victoria.

OMG!!!!1One!!42!!!!

Seriously, I see how you did it, and still, I'm amazed. I can't manage a WC (without cheats) as nearly anyone. I could not duplicate this. No way, no how.

Then again, VIP makes WC a wee bit easier, with all the easy to take uncivs.

Blud_Und_Boden said:
I dub thee God of Victoria.

OMG!!!!1One!!42!!!!

Seriously, I see how you did it, and still, I'm amazed. I can't manage a WC (without cheats) as nearly anyone. I could not duplicate this. No way, no how.

Then again, VIP makes WC a wee bit easier, with all the easy to take uncivs.

VIP isn't easier than vanilla. By far Vanilla is much easier than VIP to get a WC, because of how the economy works. Basically industrial development is taken back 20 years.

He skipped industry and the drawbacks of VIP in industry. He is an unciv, so he didn't need alot of the econ stuff.

VIP would be easier for his strategy than would vanilla.

Oh, and its taken back for EVERYONE. It didn't seem much harder, just more slow and grinding. The colonization bans, the RR MPs, all of those just make managemnt annoying, not hard.

Blud_Und_Boden said:

You are kind, but I can't take credit. There are a lot of great Victoria players, and I try to learn what I can from each and then improve upon existing strategies with my own experience. I learned a lot from playing uncivs in some test games that really helped with this also. There are players who are better micromanagers than I am; I am primarily a strategist. Those who are better able to micromanage than I am can probably do better with the same strategies. A lot of people are afraid of uncivs, and they aren't played very much. I was surprised to find that, while uncivs have definite disadvantages, they also offer considerable opportunities that I hadn't initially considered.

And I am exclusively a SP player. My play style requires intensive micromanagement and the "pause" button is on much more than it is off. Others are much better at MP than I am. I am somewhat of a perfectionist and not having time to manage everything "just right" in MP is frustrating to me.

I hope that the strategies here will help other players to improve their game. My AARs are, more than anything else, tutorials. WC may seem like a distant goal to you now, but if you carefully study the VickyWiki, the boards, and the AARs, and practice carefully, you can achieve the same. I've been playing Vicky for 3 years now on and off. Initially I thought WC was impossible; then a year or so later I tried it with small civs, and then nearly two years later with uncivs. It takes a lot of patience and time. But if you have patience and interest, you can continue to improve.

I spend a lot of time planning the future before and during my games. I create a preliminary plan -- where do I want to be in 5, 10, 20 years, and how will I get there? What obstacles might there be and how will I address them? Thinking things through and creating a clear plan will help your games a great deal. And I spend a lot of time analyzing the situation in each game. Who are my neighbors? What are their weak points? What are the economic and military opportunities? How can I build my economy? What kind of relations do I want? What are my diplomatic goals? Of course, during the game I always have to modify the strategy somewhat. Sometimes there are unanticipated opportunities that I can capitalize on. Other times there are unforseen barriers.

If you do this -- create your plan, evaluate carefully as you go along, and modify as necessary -- you will find yourself improving your game rapidly.

RE: VIP vs. Vanilla, there are pros and cons.

Economy: Easier in Vanilla. The ability to build RRs without MPs is huge, especially when they are in rare supply. Cheaper education is also a huge economic boon in Vanilla. It is therefore also much easier to industrialize in Vanilla.

Warfare: possibly easier in VIP. Civilized armies in Vanilla may be more advanced than in VIP after 20-30 years due to higher tech rate, and so it may be tougher for a backwards unciv to win military victories with native cavalry. Not a big difference, we are talking maybe a few techs over this period between VIP & Vanilla, but some difference.

Events: Easier in VIP, if carefully studied. As you see in this AAR, I've exploited a unique events in VIP, namely the annexation of British India by the UK when it is invaded > 45% -- and ceding all occupied territory to the occupier without ceding BB. UK is much weaker in VIP, being split up into UK and British India, which is a big plus for any kind of WC.

Colonization: Easier in VIP. The colonization bans of the majors allow even an unciv to get first dibs or even monopolize the entire colonization race.

It's a close question. Much better economy, faster tech, and faster industrialization in Vanilla are huge advantages (even for an unciv...MPs show up sooner, so you can civilize significantly earlier and gain tech faster), but VIP events and colonization bans can be exploited also to produce major advantages. It is hard for me to say which is ultimately easier or harder in this situation, but VIP and Vanilla WC both require very different strategies.

Last edited:
Lurken said:
Is there a challange that is too big for Falconhurst? Can it even exist?

World conquest with Bukkara, or Aortoraoeaoeaoe or whatever it's called .:D

Great work Falconhurst, brilliant, inspiring work and a well writen AAR without resorting to any of that irrelevant Turtledovian nonesense. :)

impressive.

Have you tried in Very Hard/Furious without exploits (land for land for example). I have never see one with this conditions and I'm sure you can. Maybe Uruguay would be interesting

Last edited: