• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Cree-Athabaska is annexed

tibet26.jpg

tibet28.jpg

Japan falls to the might of the Mahayana

tibet29.jpg

tibet30.jpg

Revolts crop up across China. It took nearly 150 divisions to keep the Chinese revolts contained at the height of the rebellion, until nationalism ceased 10 years after conquest.

tibet31.jpg

The UK finally agrees to peace at the conclusion of the second colonial war.

tibet32.jpg

The German alliance is invaded. Care is taken to DOW a minor that did not have an alliance with Austria at this time, involving just Prussia and the German minors

tibet33.jpg

France DOW's Tibet, but finds the Tibetans prepared

tibet34.jpg

tibet35.jpg

Austria is invaded after Tibet takes some northern provinces from Italy. In this picture, Hungary has already ceded a rim of border provinces to Tibet.

tibet37.jpg

World conquest on a shoestring budget

His attempts to acquire a MP factory from the UK having failed, Bdith Druk had to wait until 1856 for machine parts to show up on the world market. When they became available, they were available in quantity. Many low-cost factories were built across the Tibetan republic. Civilized status was achieved approximately three years later.

Civilization offered benefits, although none of them was crucial to Bdith's strategy. He could just as well have conquered the entire world and never have civilized. The main benefits civilization offered were:
-twice as many DIs, removing the 0.5x penalty for uncivs
-additional income. Although Bdith did not quite understand why, he noted that his citizens base income instantly increased 2-3x after civilizing.
-ability to attack non-adjacent countries, which was immediately utilized as demonstrated in the above images
-improved research ability

Virtually all Tibetan POPS, at least the medium and large ones, were converted to clerks. Some large non-national POPs were converted to capitalists for the income bonus. The POP conversion was expensive and labor-intensive. The only task that occupied more of Bdith's time was putting down all of the rebellions in China. This was a more difficult task than any of the conquests. Research was begun in earnest with full education spending generating approximately 1.5 RPs/month.

Now that Tibet had emerged as an uncivilized great power and then as a civilized one, Bdith new that the civilized world held no monopoly on opportunity and constructive lessons. One of the greatest lessons Bdith had learned while leading cavalry divisions across India and China is that native cavalry are pound for pound the best military unit in the world. Native cavalry could capture provinces just as well as the regular cavalry of civilized nations and were only slightly inferior in combat. Although they cost the same as regular cavalry to build, their maintenance costs are only approximately one-tenth as much as regular cavalry, saving their whole construction cost within just a few months of active duty. For this reason, Tibet was able to maintain an army of some 400 cavalry divisions while no other country had more than approximately 50 military divisions, mostly infantry. It would not have been feasible for Tibet to maintain such a large military had it relied on regular divisions.

Once Tibet achieved civilized status, it faced a tough dilemma. Its civilized provinces, including virtually all of Asia, could no longer build native cavalry -- only regulars. For the invasion of Europe, therefore, Bdith had to seek out the most primitive and barbaric inhabitants of the Tibetan empire to form another 200 divisions of native cavalry for the invasion of Europe. No, the Punjabis, the Thais, the Pashtuns, the Indians, and the Chinese were too enlightened and advanced to form native cavalry units, and Bdith was not willing to pay their high upkeep costs.

To form his new divisions, he sought rough-hewn men who could live off the land, eating locusts and mice for nourishment. Men who could live on a few rupees a month. Primitive, uneducated men left as far behind the march of progress as Tibet had been a generation before. After a lengthy search, Bdith found the most backwards and benighted culture groups of the Tibetan empire for his 200 new native cavalry divisions: the Yankees and the Anglo-Canadians. These were the primitives sent to sack Europe, much as the Vandals and Goths of fifteen millenia before.

As I play a second game implementing principles I learned in the first, I see that there are some major areas where the strategies here could be refined.

The biggest and earliest is that all the trading with Russia waiting years to finish building expensive colonial buildings to trade is nonsense. For some reason it escaped me that Tibet's southern neighbor, British India, has the very same techs that Tibet needs. I am finding that British India will easily trade the two vital techs -- post-napoleonic thought and flintlock rifles -- for one border provinces from Punjab, without investing any time into improving relations. British India has cores on Punjab and values these provinces highly, letting you pull off a sweet deal without buffing relations at all.

In my new game, I annexed Punjab and then Sind, getting POPs and sea access. By July '38 I am built 25 clipper transports; by January I trade for the techs and build a lot of cavalry for a July '39 invasion of British India. Then colonial wars with the UK...Hopefully with a little luck it may be possible to land some troops on the UK to capture Scotland and demand south Scotland in a peace deal for its MP factory. If the last part succeeds, civilization could be achieved as early as '44 or '45, nearly 15 years earlier than in this AAR game.

I could kick myself...it may sound silly, but this AAR is highly inefficient and the time scale can be moved up many years with these revised steps. Yes, Tibet civilizing by 1858 and conquering most of Europe and North America by 1864 is an underachievement.

Last edited:
Falconhurst said:
Yes, Tibet civilizing by 1858 and conquering most of Europe and North America by 1864 is an underachievement.

Well... for you maybe :D

Is there a challange that is too big for Falconhurst? Can it even exist?

Ha'il.

Although it is not quite as thoroughly landlocked as Tibet, the states it abuts are either well-armed, vicious, and pitiful uncivs or the Ottoman Empire. If you can seize or trade for parts of Iraq, you get the privilege of assaulting Persia, which has several times the population of Arabia in each of its states.

World conquest is, perhaps, too tall an order. But I have no doubt that Falconhurst could probably seize most of Asia with it...

There are few if any Russian factories on the Baltics; Russia tends to build factories with the very few MPs that it has in ethnic Russian territories. The Germanic lands are a much better bet for capturing factories.

yes but the baltics constitute a border with Prussia. ;)

Attacks on Russia, with its 130-plus provinces, require a vast expenditure of troops and manpower. And the Russian army has a lot more technology than the Chinese! I wasn't sure at this stage of the game I wanted full-scale war with Russia. Fortunately, Russia didn't take Tibet as seriously as it might have since it was "only" a colonial war.

Russia is a PUSHOVER.It's absolutly toast if you invade it's Asian possesions with lots of cavalery.Russia is hughe and most of it's mil strenght constitutes ships and infantry ,just outrun the poor suckers.i know ,you would get the impression russia is hard to beat at that point ,but it wasn't trust me.I done it before and it's rediculously easy. you know those 130 province's is not in their advantage f you have much cavalery.

You are on the right track though and offer valuable suggestions. Thinking this through again, a better course than what I pursued would have been in the initial trade to get a province from Russia bordering Prussia, instead of one isolated in the Caucasus. Then DOW Prussia, and get a war going with the whole German alliance, annex all the small minors, and pick up some factories. After achieving civilized status then go back and annex China.

Thats the thought ,and it aint that hard to take the Baltics border with Prussia from russia ,you only need a few provs in lithuania anyway.Then take Germany and civilize.Get China for uber money and build a hughe native cavalery force ,the rest is history. before 1860 the European powers (except for brittian) are pretty easy to take ,especially with jominian cavalery.

This alternative approach faces serious challenges however. Namely, getting territories with borders with the major European players while still an uncivilized nation with astronomic BB will inevitably lead within a short period to war with France, Italy, Austria, Russia, etc. To be honest things might not have gone well in a European land war against multiple majors at once. And, it's a lot harder to finance massive European wars with the 100L/day from British India than with the 1000L/day from China.

Bordering GP's can be avoided if needed....

My initial plan had been to invade the UK and take south Scotland with its machine parts factory, which would generate an ongoing supply of MPs to allow rapid industrialization. However during the first colonial war with the UK I quickly found that this plan was not viable. Even with "run-away" ship tactics, I lost a few too many transports to the vast and technologically advanced British navy. Plus, even if I had been able to successfully land troops on Britain, it is highly unlikely that the UK would have been willing to part with them in a peace deal even with an excellent war score. The AI will freely divest itself of all of its vast colonial holdings before even contemplating giving up national culture cores. Having a MP factory of course would be huge, but I couldn't seem to find a way to pull it off.

And thats another lesson you learn ,i did point you to the clipper dodgin didn't i? hence the importance of obtaining steel steamers fast after getting civilized.Uk and in a lesser extent USA are youre biggest concerns ,continental europe is fairly easy to take.As for USA ,you can grab land of Mexico or Canada ,or the Indians like you seem to have done. ;) But with UK youre likely to need a navy to capture it ,and if you wait to long for good navy Brittain will have lots of troops with lots of entrenchment wich you really got to avoid.

Virtually all Tibetan POPS, at least the medium and large ones, were converted to clerks. Some large non-national POPs were converted to capitalists for the income bonus. The POP conversion was expensive and labor-intensive. The only task that occupied more of Bdith's time was putting down all of the rebellions in China. This was a more difficult task than any of the conquests. Research was begun in earnest with full education spending generating approximately 1.5 RPs/month.

The joy of not having to many culture pops. :)

The biggest and earliest is that all the trading with Russia waiting years to finish building expensive colonial buildings to trade is nonsense. For some reason it escaped me that Tibet's southern neighbor, British India, has the very same techs that Tibet needs. I am finding that British India will easily trade the two vital techs -- post-napoleonic thought and flintlock rifles -- for one border provinces from Punjab, without investing any time into improving relations. British India has cores on Punjab and values these provinces highly, letting you pull off a sweet deal without buffing relations at all.

originaly posted by TheFlemishDuck:
That said ,certain neighbours of yours have some interresting millitary techs... (is no-land trading a rule? )

:p

anyway ,good job still ,you can yet pull of the WC ,and yes such thing's you only learn by experience...

clamp2004 said:
WC with 1 province unciv is impossible.

Don't be to sure ,i could do it with Johore and thats a 2 province unciv minor.

That said ,a landlocked Unciv with about no manpower would be virtually impossible ,provided you don't trade land.But if not landlocked it's probably fairly doable.

Though a Ha'il WC.... now that would be amazing!

Thats giving him a country that starts with flintlock rifles and post napoleonitic thought ,you make it to easy for him. ;)

Now Bhutan ,there you have something that is realy fooked up.but thats just to hard ,and to near to tibet for a next AAr.

i was rather thinking ,the central african country of Yeke ,not impossible ,but no easy thing for sure neither. :D
And i want to see him have fun with his tribal leader.

I'm curious where you are in your techs, with such a high bad boy I would think you would not be able to find any tech trading partners. How have you gotten around that problem, or have you?

Well i have been away for a bit but felt it necessary to post.
I find it daunting trying to annex China when civilized huge great power with a 100million people. And you did it with tibet (i'll leave out the addition of India). :(

Excellent reading. I wish I could play this game so well. As it is I consider keeping a nation like France inside the World Power rankings to be a victory. basically, my military handling of the game sucks.

You mentioned stock-piling grain right at the beginning of the game? I don't recall this being a prerequisite for anything?

Quirinus308 said:
I'm curious where you are in your techs, with such a high bad boy I would think you would not be able to find any tech trading partners. How have you gotten around that problem, or have you?

The only tech trade was with Russia early on with BB of approx. 28. And in retrospect this is the trade I should have done with British India instead, as previously noted, avoiding the hassle of building claim buildings.

At present BB is over 600 -- there will be no more tech trades, nor any other kind of trades, for the rest of the game, and Tibet must rely upon its own research. With BB that high it would be tough to get your own brother to give you a single tech in exchange for all of China.

Tibet's tech is still fairly backwards. It is focusing primarily on industry, as well as a few culture techs to decrease education expenses.

Garuda said:
You mentioned stock-piling grain right at the beginning of the game? I don't recall this being a prerequisite for anything?

Irregulars require grain and wool. In this sense it is much easier for a backwards uncivilized nation to stockpile goods for an army than a civilized one: there is no demand for small arms, which are available on the WM only in a slow trickle and often require high prestige to get at all. Wool and grain are in such abundance that you can purchase almost any amount on a single day.

Back to irregular tactics, which I mentioned early one. Irregulars, at least until you get leaders, must be used very quickly due to their high attrition. While I was able to get through Punjab quickly with irregulars in a second trial game, as well as the other small minors (Sind/etc), I had a little trouble with Afghanistan. The difficulty is that once you reinforce the original irregulars, their organization and morale are reduced almost to zero and take time to build up. But all the time they are building up, and it takes a long time, they are suffering attrition, which defeats much of the purpose of reinforcing.

When new units are created, they have good organization to start, but it is exceedingly difficult to reinforce irregulars effectively against competent enemies until you get leaders to reduce attrition. Therefore in my second game I had to actually build new ones for the invasion of Afghanistan after annexing Punjab and Sind. The older reinforced irregulars could still capture provinces quickly, but had trouble winning battles against Afghanistan's leaders...so they were sent in as a second wave behind the front line.

Last edited:
further tactics

After the conquests in Europe described above in prior screenshots, cleanups continued across Europe. In 1865 or so the American civil war event fired, and Tibet was prepared: it immediately DOW'd the US and took many provinces from it, also allowing the CSA to "win" the civil war and become an independent nation. Having the remainder of the US splint into both CSA and USA made further conquest much easier, for obvious reasons.

The reader hopefully can appreciate a common theme of opportunism in Tibet's military tactics, studying weakness in the enemy's lines and striking at a time of maximum vulnerability. Some examples include:

-attacking British India (through DOW on one of its satellites) while recovering from recent wars with China and without involving the UK
-attacking China while it was recovering from a major war with UK
-annexing as many provinces as possible from German minors before they become part of Prussia/Germany
-annexing the North American uncivilized minors before they can integrate their dozens of provinces into the US and eventually Canada
-Striking the US during the civil war to help the South win the war and cause a permanent division into two middling, bickering powers rather than a large strong one.
-I missed the boat on Italy, which formed unusually soon in this game. Usually I like to go after Firenze, Lucca, Modena, Parma, etc. early-on as they are poorly-defended but rich provinces.
and so on.

This is a good principle which is important for any Victoria game. It's obviously much easier to take the Western US from the Sioux, Apache, and Cherokees than from the US. It's easier to take central Europe from minors than from Germany. If you understand the events that are occurring or may occur and their timing, you have a huge advantage. Being aware of weaknesses and exploiting them to their full potential can give you the best return on your warmongering.