• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Are there any other states that could attack France while she's down? Savoy or Milan maybe?

Savoy would have the casus belli as I took the Savoie province from them earlier in the war. But they are not in a position to wage a war of aggression as we have a truce (and their army is non-existant).

Milan, I've got good relations with. They achieved independence in the wake of the first Bourbon-Habsburg War and are as such firmly in the anti-Habsburg camp (alongside Venice).

States who could be feared to intervene on the side of the Catholics would be the German prince-bishoprics of Munster and Cologne and the Italian princes in Tuscany and Sicily.

It's a bit ironic that for most of its history, France had a huge army with nearly unlimited reserves of manpower. Louis XIV's army were about ten times bigger than the Austrian. One reason why France didn't conquer most of Europe was that it almost always faced an alliance of many other countries (usually funded and held together by the British), which forced it to fight on multiple fronts and split its forces. Eventually the Germans and Russians overcame it, but in the EU3 period, France was clearly the most powerful continental power. My personal theory is that all powers like that eventually exhaust themselves and simply give up on being the bogeyman :)

I think that is a very valid and precise explanation. But in this scenario the ring of coalitions around France have been broken somewhat. Spain and Austria no longer have the power to forcefully chain France in within her boundaries. In stead they have to try their best at defend themselves against French aggression.

I find that mildly offensive! :D

Bah :p

Chapter XLI – Frondeurs in Brittany

header1.jpg

Northern Gascony was in open revolt by summer 1639. The nobles flocked to the rebel standard citing numerous offences committed by royal executives as their cause for dissatisfaction. As such the causes for the rebellion were not of revolutionary character. Instead the insurgents mainly took up arms in defence of their ancient liberties who were being hampered by the increase in royal authority and centralization. Taking the form of an armed noble opposition with backing from peasant armies in Roussilion, Dauphine and Burgundy, the armies of the second estate fielded several thousand men in their attempt at limiting the power of Nicolas and his advisors. The patchwork of resisters (known as frondeur[1]) consisted thus of a clique of nobles who utilized the general aggravation of the rural populace.

Although their goals were vastly different the two fractions united in this struggle against what the nobles saw as an attack on their political and feudal freedoms while the peasants found their cause in high taxation and forced conscription into the royal armies. Further confusion was added to the situation when a large part of the army revolted in Savoie. Here the ultimate goal was a complete separation from the French state and either incorporation with the kingdom of Savoy or independence from both realms. Their objectives were thus radically different from those of the united front of Frondeurs, but the fractions refrained from campaigning against each other in recognition of the danger which the royal armies presented to them all.

Men Discontent of Realm and King

Intrigues against Nicolas and his government had been begun as early as the first actions of the scramble for Germany. Discontent and resentful at the King’s increased disregard for domestic problems had estranged many of the older noble houses and his determined foreign policy made many of the military commanders cringe under the constant threat of war. But the unifying force behind the Second Fronde would be a troika of men closer to Nicolas than most.

The princes of the blood Gaston Jean-Baptiste de France (duke of Orleans and younger brother to Nicolas) and Louis II de Bourbon (prince de Condé) both took active part in the opposition. Gaston did so out of obvious dissatisfaction with not being chosen as successor to the French crown when his and Nicolas’ brother was murdered. Furthermore he thought it highly inappropriate for a king to crave as much power as Nicolas did, and saw his brother as a tyrant obsessed with power, who needed to be stopped by the ever conscious nobility. The Prince de Condé was at the outbreak of hostilities still a young man, but never the less much beloved by especially the younger members of the first estate. He too saw himself as a person determined to fight an oppressive royal administration in defence of ancient liberties. Most disturbing though, was the central figure in the noble’s opposition. When the peasants in Brittany had first risen, the province’s governor had not only encouraged them, but added his own garrison to their forces. Governor of Brittany at the time was no other than the duc de Rohan, one of the Three Marshals and member of the Conceil des Affairs.

conspirators2.jpg

Gaston duke of Orleans – Henri duc de Rohan – Louis II Bourbon, Prince de Condé

Rohan believed Nicolas to have wronged not only the French people, but also the very French state in his wars, which were fought for personal gain and not for the benefit of religion, state or people. That Rohan threw his lot in with the opposition might seem logical when viewed in this light. To the aging Marshal and diplomat it was France and her subjects that came before anything else. Nicolas was simply not prepared to fight for what Rohan, de Bonne and Sully had believed in; a France where the king reigned for his subjects, where every peasant had a chicken in the pot.

***​

Steady steps echoed down the marble-clad corridors as two burly officers passed the array of standards and gears of warriors which plastered the passages. With a powerful stroke the first of them swung a heavy oak door open and the pair hurried inside as a couple of beggars hunting the same chunk of yesterday’s bread.

The room was heavy with smoke from several pipes, tables were filled with maps, documents and letters and here and there a sabre or a pistol lay scattered – there was a certain feeling to the place that made men think and women worry. Filled with men in uniform the room seemed more like a military camp than one of the count of Baden’s best salons. Chairs were soon produced for the two men and the ornate devices creaked under the weight of armour, military orders and weapons.

King Nicolas swung around from his position near a large painting of some Greek myth which he had observed for quite some time. Slowly he neared the two newcomers who sat surrounded by intrigued captains. Stroking his dark brown moustache the sovereign of All the French grabbed a chair close by and arranged his royal person directly before them. The room went silent as the grave…

“Majesty…” the first one began; his fleshy face glowing red from heat and excitement “Majesty I have disturbing news from home”.

A mutter blew through the clouds of smoke hanging under the decorated ceiling. Words such as England, Stadtholder and peace pierced them with vigorous speed. Nicolas buried his face in his hands. This, he was in no mood for. Louder and louder, the many men in the room began to debate whatever the king could, would and should do if such unlikely events were to pass.

Finally Turenne came to his rescue.

“Then tell us man! God’s death, don’t keep such things from your monarch!”

The second took over.

“The Frondeurs now hold Brittany, Gascony and Bourgogne. Conscription can’t take effect..” he produced a silk handkerchief and wiped the sweat away from his pink brow. “The people refuse to pay their taxes and day for day the Princes of the Blood gain more and more support. As it stands now, we are only able to hold Paris and the central part of the country and even then Condé has taken 4,000 men into Bourbon.”

A collective sigh went through the disturbed congregation.

“Majesty, we can’t go on this way. We either have to bring men from the front to secure the country side or else we have to engage into negotiations with them!”

Nicolas slowly raised his head to the two men.

“Monsieur Bassompierre!” his voice rang out as gun-fire at the first of the two men “..what would you, having seen our beloved homeland in this situation, suggest us to do?”

Bassompierre took off his wig and scratched the back of his thick neck.

“Sire, for the good of the state, I beg of you... reconcile with your errant brother... make your peace with…”

He didn’t manage to finish the sentence before Nicolas had flung himself from his chair and placed a well aimed punch at the bulging officer’s nose. Blood sprouted everywhere and the count of Baden let out a high pitched scream as Bassompierre’s recoiling body crushed one of his most delicate stools as the wailing man fell back over; dragging several tables with him in the fall.

“Fool! Imbecile!” Nicolas roared with all his strength. “For the good of the state!” he mimicked condescendingly at the rearranged face staring frightened up at him… “Monsieur Bassompierre, you good for nothing papist, by God’s death you forget yourself! I AM THE STATE!

Glaring ferociously, Nicholas turned around and one after one faced all the officers who stood dumbstruck around them. They all lowered their eyes.

Somewhere a bell rang.

“Turenne takes the royal army from Württemberg to Paris at dawn! I want them dead!”

“But sire what of the fronts, what of Germany and Spain… what of the Empire!?” An anonymous voice asked.

“To hell with it! What good is Vienna, Madrid and Turin when I can not even have the Louvre in peace!?”

frondemapr.jpg

Campaigns against the Frondeurs

Coming up… Peace Through War/Give Me Liberty Or Give me Death!

[1]Meaning anyone who thought that royal power should be regulated.

Last edited:
Is there a chance that the Spanish and Austrians could ally with the rebels - i.e. not accept peace knowing that it will lead to a re-strengthened France and decide to keep fighting instead.

Spain in particular might want that area of Northern Aragon and I'm sure Austria thinks that France's eastern border could use some trimming...

Haha!

I'd pick Louvre as well. And royal brothers, there should be a law against them.

Heh I AM THE STATE, excellent reusing of a quote... good update.

Rohan must hurt the worst. The King is certainly taking this personally (which I imagine I might as well if my brothers were part of this.) Shame how it hampers the war but Nicolas is right - what is Vienna worth if Paris is lost?

Smashing map there at the end too!

Oh dear...

Good luck smashing the rebels...

Many heads are going to lose their bodies I guess :D

Revolutions in France, this is something that we aren't accustomed too I think...

There are two types of revolutions in France:

a) revolts that start in the peripheral areas of France (far from Paris) almost always fail and get drowned in blood;
b) revolts that start in Paris are usually successful ;)

Metropolitan centralism at its best... :D

@ asd21593: Of course I chose it because of the artist's sense for colours and stylistic mastership :eek:o

@ GeneralHannibal: That would absolutely be the most prudent thing to do for the Iberian Catholics. Problem is that Spain/Portugal are doing their best just to stall the French advance. They would need something nearing complete French collapse in Spain before an offensive campaign against France can be begun. I'm not quite sure Olivares has got that time :/

@ RGB: XD I kind of feel that way too (especially when my kid brother comes knocking on my door!)

@ Lord Strange: I'm glad you liked it! I've been waiting for a very long time to reuse it. Personally I'm pretty satisfied with it...

@ coz1: Rohan is a man who have committed his whole body to the well being of the French state. The fundamental problem in this civil war is the quite enormous difference in opinion on what (or rather who ;)) the state is. That Rohan and the princes have taken the role of a rebellious troika speaks volumes of how deeply rooted this conflict is (I think I gave hints as far back as chapter XXX?)

@ Enewald: I don't think Nicolas would have appreciated your humor :D

@ balkanite: On the other hand I think Nicolas would have appreciated you line of thought!

@ Grubnessul: I'm not sure I can trust your support... you are after all a level-three-in-dastardliness Dutch personage :rofl:

@ Winner: *Acts like Queen of Hearts* Off with his head!!
There are two types of revolutions in France:

a) revolts that start in the peripheral areas of France (far from Paris) almost always fail and get drowned in blood;
b) revolts that start in Paris are usually successful

Metropolitan centralism at its best...

Well I guess that the Paris Commune would be the exception confirming the rule then?

@ volksmarschall
: What about Huguenot revolutions :cool:?

@ GeneralHannibal: That would absolutely be the most prudent thing to do for the Iberian Catholics. Problem is that Spain/Portugal are doing their best just to stall the French advance. They would need something nearing complete French collapse in Spain before an offensive campaign against France can be begun. I'm not quite sure Olivares has got that time :/
What about the Austrians? Also, is there any potential for non-Catholic states to put their religion aside and take a swing at France?

@ Grubnessul: I'm not sure I can trust your support... you are after all a level-three-in-dastardliness Dutch personage :rofl:

Hmm now I'm not sure about that anymore either :p