• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The requested map:

2djth6h.jpg

Foix took a chunk of Aragon as allied to Castille and me, and a second chunk on their own later.

Liking it - subscribed

Thanks.

Some nice work there in that update making very good headway in crippling the colonisers and pushing into low BB Muslim territory. Granada should be less of a colonial threat than Castile but if they're Sunni they shouldn't last long enough. That trick wth Morocco rings a bell, must have seen it somewhere else ;)

Any chance of a political map of Iberia?

As there is no BB-free conquering of catholic provinces held by muslims in HttT, Granada is no hurry.

Id like to see a map too.

Map granted.

Excellent playing, the Granada engineering in particular.

I also find the Granada gambit pretty brilliant.

Won't the French still act as a colonizing power from their Mediterranean ports?

Granada: Even with mostly wrong religion, non cored provinces, Granada is no walkover: At least not when I deal with their rebels and the opposition is Southern France minors, OPM Portugal and TPM Aragon. Perhaps the Muslims at the gates of Vienna in 1529 and 1683 will come from the West?

France: They are very slow on taking QftNW and Burgundy holds former Auvergne Poutoi, so no colonizing for them at present. I might have destroyed their navy too, btw.

Chapter 4: 1001 Arabian Nights - An adventure of conquests

1439 Jan: Goverment tech 8 is reached.

Apr: Heir falls ill, but is saved by a medic.

Sep: Nobles demand old rights which lower our stability to +1.

1440 Jul: A diplomat dies and a 5* is generated, for a total of 15*.

Aug: Holy War is declared on Mamelukes, joined by Khiva, Algiers and Haasa. Fortunately Granada refuses the Call to Arms, as I don't want to fight them yet.

1442 Apr: With 5 magistrate and no usefull thing to do, we build a grain depot in Lincoln. Ottomans invade the provinces we control, so we have to end the war with Mamelukes ASAP.

2m6o9ag.jpg

Mar: We take the east side of the Red Dea to prevent Hedjaz' return and to have a base for further expansion. BB is 11,1 and WE is 0,00. Holy War is declared on Yemen and all their frineds join, noone.

35m4j6x.jpg

4i0ffr.jpg

Aug: Cancelling our mission, we get to save Al Karak from the 25 Ottoman regiment. I'll wait...

2num9dw.jpg

Dec: Al Karak falls but we don't get a new mission :-(

1443 Jan: We cannot repel the Ottoman stack, so we demand 825 ducats to end the war.

vi1iky.jpg

Jun: 5* diplomat dies and is replaced by another 5*. Heir is introduced for the Cultural Tradition,Prestige and Legitimacy.

Dec: Government tech 9 is reached, allowing another NI. I take Divine Supremacy (discussion here) and the side effects (missionaries and papal influence) are nice. We are only 12 years ahead in Government tech, so we press forward for Noble Republic.

1444 Jun: Peace with Yemen; we leave them a path to their neighbors. BB is 11,4 and WE is 0,00. We will wait for TI to lift before attacking further. We get conquer Morbihan as a mission. We would rather reconquer Armor, but Brittany is allied to Burgundy, and they seem to stay outta trouble.

1rsq5v.jpg

Nov: Naval tech reaches 5.

1445 Jun: Burgundy and Brittany have had a figth so the alliance is broken. I declare War of Reconquest on Brittany. Foix and Norway join.

Oct: Production 5 is reached.

Dec: We take Armor from Brittany.

2r635dy.jpg

1446 Jun: A 5* diplomat dies and is replaced by another 5*.

Aug: A saint raises our stability to +1.

1447 May: We declare Holy War on Mamelukes, joined by Jaylarids.

Oct: We get a boundary dispute on Ceuta.

1448 Jan: Trade tech 5 is reached.

Mar: Stability 2 is reached.

May: Peace with Jaylarids lets them get off the hook easy.

rkwm0y.jpg

Aug: Boundary dispute on Hawran.

Sep: We grab what we can from Mameluke; our empire is again coherent! We declare War of Reconquest on Algiers. Yemen and Oman join, letting me map out Oman. BB is 11.4 and we is only 0.04.

t5g7xi.jpg

Oct: Heir falls ill but is saved (again).

Nov: Peace with Yemen.

1q339v.jpg

Dec: Boundary dispute on Limousin.

1449 Feb: War of Reconquest is declared on France, joined by Netherland, Trier, Navarra and Genoa and Holy War is declared on Swahili.

May: Peace with Swahili for their 2 reachable provinces.

osu3cl.jpg

Aug: Ceuta is reconquered (apparently I forgot the screenie :eek:o).

1450 Mar: France hands over Limousin. Mission cancellation gives Vassalize Foix.

rkwm0y.jpg

Next update will be the 50 year summary, scheduled in the holidays, any requests? Apart from world map and pies off course.

Great work. I'm impressed you can pick up so much without going over the limit.

Wrong! :D Right now I am burning 1.65BB poit per year, that's lest than 2 provinces a year I can take. Actually conquering through Arabia, I am also held back by truces. When I break into the Steppes and India and get my BB burn up, then we can talk about 'picking up fast', if you know what I mean :nudge:

1450 Interlude - A report from the British statistical office

A BB burner gaining momentum, my Papal Influence will raise the number of cardinals the coming years and with 0.1BB gone per year for each cardinal, they are tasty.
dzazhd.jpg

I am already loosing ground to the small european states and the muslims are still in there, thanks to the starting lead.
1qj34g.jpg

A large army, but spread too thin to compare.
2d6tqmo.jpg

The only real competition is Netherlands and we should not fight each other seriously for quite some time.
20u5nqt.jpg

A mighty interesting graph, 104 provinces by now:
29liyjc.jpg

Pies. The Gaullian cores really pulls their weight here and no overextension yet. We are converting as fast as possible to keep the econoimy sound.
j5xxmb.jpg

Any explanation for the census tax being almost as high as the normal tax?
s2unsy.jpg

Expences are mainly the army, fortresses takes its share too.
33mrh2s.jpg

We only trade at home and even then we sometime struggle.
10gy7ar.jpg

We are the richest now. It won't hold though, when we get a too big empire to uphold tariff efficiency and a more poor provinces.
2u94rbl.jpg

The nearby wold
161zvv7.jpg

Us:
28wkwfo.jpg

Looking good!

Any explanation for the census tax being almost as high as the normal tax?

Probably because most of your rich provinces are core (and thus create full census tax) and most of the non-cores have plenty of nationalism RR eating into the tax? I don't think the situation is that strange, so probably nothing else...

Any pagans in East Africa and if so are you considering a bit of cultural engineering?

Probably because most of your rich provinces are core (and thus create full census tax) and most of the non-cores have plenty of nationalism RR eating into the tax? I don't think the situation is that strange, so probably nothing else...

<Reading the forums> ah, census tax is 100% of yearly tax for cores, always read it as 100% monthly :rolleyes: Guess I never looked much into the tax bookkeeping.

Any pagans in East Africa and if so are you considering a bit of cultural engineering?

Yes and no. It is not the concern of this AAR and my troops are better used else where.

Chapter 5: Cleaning dust in East Africa

1450 Jul: Moving towards defensive gives a 6* fort defences guy. Someone will pay for him, hopefully.

Oct: I notice that the conquered core in Ceuta, gives me the range to colonize Tuat and Rio de Oro. An army and colonists are dispatched to Tuat.

Nov: The great man happens to us. At +2 stab, we do not prees the bottom immediately, but hope for a -1 stab first :) Unfortunately Government tech 10 and republics are to far too be brought directly.

1451 Feb: Tuat is succesfully settled. Settlers will be sent to Rio de Oro shortly.

Apr: Colonist send to Rio de Oro.

Jun: We discover Mutapa territory and with low BB (2.8) war is declared. Ashanti joins.

Aug: Rio de Oro settled, we send further colonists.

Oct: Navarra have reached 20+WE so we peace out and hope Foix or Granada finish them off. Mutapa only had 4 provinces before we was blocked by Swahili, so we take the provinces and some gold.

2ujr15e.jpg

1452 Mar: Ottomans took Nile, Aleppo and Judea fromn the Mamelukes. Next war against Sunnis will be troublesome.

1453 Sep: War is declared on the Mamelukes, joined by Ottomans, Granada, Timurids and as alliance leader: Algiers. This is much better than hoped for.

1454 Jan: Government tech 10. With this war on my hand I will not switch now, but if my diplomacy 7 king dies I reconsider. Focus on production tech. Ottoman is also battling Poland.

May: War is declared on Swahili, joined by Yemen and Canem Bornu.

Jul: Peace between Poland and Ottomans.

Aug: We declare holy war on Oman, joined by Najd.

Nov: Ottoman is murdering me and Granada controls Portugal, so I assault Alexandria, take it and peaces out with Algiers. WE is up to 1.54.

2z3wd40.jpg

1455 Jan: Land tech 6. We change to Noble republic, keep our king 6/7/8 and focuses on stability.

Statistics 101:
I wrapped an Excel sheet up showing the average diplomacy rating and diplomacy rating impact on the number of boundary disputes (the lower, the better), giving which diplomacy rating I would reelect. This SS is for 6 election periods life expectancy:
28k1xue.jpg

So I would reelect leaders with 8 and 9 in diplomacy, giving an average of BB burn of 0.8 from the leader and almost double the amount of boundary disputes versus reelecting any diplomacy candidate.

Mar: We move the national focus back to London and standardize weigth, scales and measures.

Jul: We take 2 provinces from Swahili and as much gold as we can carry.

34ytmhe.jpg

Oct: France annexes Navarra :wacko:

1456 May: Peace with Oman for 7 provinces.

iw2c8k.jpg

Sep: Rio de Oro becomes a city.

Oct: Colonial war is declared on Mutapa. Ashanti joins.

1457 Nov: Stability 0 reached, switch to Prod.

1458 Feb: We reduce Mutapa to a OPM and take the remaining cash.

2hrd402.jpg

May: We spot that Ottomans and GH are slugging it out, so we declare holy war on Iraq even with the lack of a common border, as the border contries were saved by truces. Persia, Haasa, Najd, Trebizond and Kazach join. Another war of reconquest against Jaylarids is started, joined by Chatagai, Kazach, Timurids andf Candar.

Jul: Production tech 6.

Nov: Arguin discovered, army dispatched.

1459 Jun: Peace with Jaylarids for Hawran. Persia is invading my Oman provinces, so Scorch earth and move back. Currently 33 regiments are sieging sand castles.

besuts.jpg

Nov: Boundary dispute on Andalusia.

1460 Jun: Comet sighted, we choose "The end (of a multinational world) is nigh".

7r68.jpg

1461 Mar: Tuat becomes a city.

Apr: Taodeni discovered, army dispatched. We engage the 35 regiments, which has attritioned down to 12k soldiers.

May: Another stability point is lost as the nobles leading the republic demands old rights :rofl::rofl::rofl: I cannot get enough war score to take Iraq-Arab, so I quit for Jabal Shammar and Karbala. We begin shipping troops toward Europa...

30bo478.jpg

Nov: War is declared on Burgundy as our cores on Bougougne and France-Comte are expiring. Wurzburg and Milan join, but luckily HRE Austria passes.

5thl1.jpg

295r4g1.jpg

1462 Aug: We get our cores bar Bourgougne. Troops are return to Africa. BB is 5.8 and WE is 0.43.

15g4hae.jpg

Really impressive gameplay. Very interesting read so far. Looking at your progress so far. I'd say you will make it. Now just need to hope that Granada will start a mass conversion in Iberia for some cheap BB provinces.

well , it's better if they stay catholic , as the state religion is what determines the cost :D
BTW , granada can and will colonize , though not as fast as Castille :D

I'm playing exact same game now in 1580. We had a discussion about some tricks in EU3 section if you can remember. Depending on how far ahead are you playing you've probably noticed some of these things. Reformation is crucial point in the game. The harder it hits on whole Europe the better because it reduces competition of cardinals. Only now I'm having atleast 5 cardinals when past 100 years it's been average of 3. I made a mistake when I chose Unam Sanctam as my second NI. Divine supremacy gives the same affect as you get holy war on anyone, not just neighbours but it also gives you missionaries. Missionaries are usefull when your papal influence is low as you can 'send delegate to pope'. I wasn't aware of this at the time and it might be why I will fail. You'll need to keep an eye on GH incase it collapses as I had to DoW Novgorod and sponsor rebels on former GH land. Ottomans were doing also good untill they were forced to release some Greek minors after a bad war and it wen't downwards after that. I had to come indirectly in Ottomans aid when they were at war with emperor Habsburgs.

Last edited:
I, for one, eagerly await the next update.
As do I.
This is impressively fast-paced - any faster, and there would be too much missing information.

In my game Holland picked QFTNW as their 6th idea and they haven't even unified Netherlands yet. I'm in trouble as I was a bit too unlucky with colonists and many were spend in Canadian coast for nothing. Literally only 50% success when the tooltip said 81%.

Really impressive gameplay. Very interesting read so far. Looking at your progress so far. I'd say you will make it. Now just need to hope that Granada will start a mass conversion in Iberia for some cheap BB provinces.

BB is independent of provinces faith in Holy Wars, only state faith is relevant to trigger the Holy War CB. Pre-HttT is was better to conquer catholic states of muslim countries (0.5BB). Granada behaves very nice this game only disturbed by my need to take them down pre-1650.

About making it, remember european provinces are 4BB a piece in base cost and I will often lack a BB reducing CB.

well , it's better if they stay catholic , as the state religion is what determines the cost :D
BTW , granada can and will colonize , though not as fast as Castille :D

Wrong: NOBODY colonizes, except me and Novgorod/Muscovy/Russia as I can stop them from entering Siberia in time. They won't get far...

I'm playing exact same game now in 1580. We had a discussion about some tricks in EU3 section if you can remember. Depending on how far ahead are you playing you've probably noticed some of these things. Reformation is crucial point in the game. The harder it hits on whole Europe the better because it reduces competition of cardinals. Only now I'm having atleast 5 cardinals when past 100 years it's been average of 3. I made a mistake when I chose Unam Sanctam as my second NI. Divine supremacy gives the same affect as you get holy war on anyone, not just neighbours but it also gives you missionaries. Missionaries are usefull when your papal influence is low as you can 'send delegate to pope'. I wasn't aware of this at the time and it might be why I will fail. You'll need to keep an eye on GH incase it collapses as I had to DoW Novgorod and sponsor rebels on former GH land. Ottomans were doing also good untill they were forced to release some Greek minors after a bad war and it wen't downwards after that. I had to come indirectly in Ottomans aid when they were at war with emperor Habsburgs.

Currently I am at 1635. Reformation has hit pretty hard, thus I have little cardinal trouble. But mostly in inconvenient places (inland, OPMs, ...), so I have not gained a lot directly from it. Have you move innovative? I find the starting narrowmindedness is excellent for Papal Influence and missionaries, this is actually a secondary reason for choosing GB over France.

My test game showed that GH was fragile, so the plan is to get them absorbed ASAP. I find the Ottoman is quite resilient if I don't destroy their armies or block the strait. And I always consider helping the muslims when they need a hand, the problem is always having/getting a CB against fellow europeans.

And I remember the discussions, it was 'the push over the edge' to do this AAR.

This is really moving at breakneck speed. Are you having much difficulty in the way of rebellions?

No. The empire is still compact enough that the front armies can reach back to destroy rebels, if the garrison armies are overrun.

I, for one, eagerly await the next update.

Twice a week is the aim. I need to play the game too :)

As do I.
This is impressively fast-paced - any faster, and there would be too much missing information.

Thanks. And PLEASE specify what information you need. I have a bazillion saves I can extract it from. I know I need a few maps to sum up the status of theatres after some of the major wars :(

In my game Holland picked QFTNW as their 6th idea and they haven't even unified Netherlands yet. I'm in trouble as I was a bit too unlucky with colonists and many were spend in Canadian coast for nothing. Literally only 50% success when the tooltip said 81%.

Strange, I have no problems with colonizers even if I have only subdued the 3 main competitors.

Chapter 6: Into the Steppes!

[Editors note: Forget to take screenies of annexations. A reoccuring problem :rolleyes:]

Oct: We get a boundary dispute on Sana'a. This means we can take their provinces in a Holy War and their capital in a Reconquest War. Unfortunately they are bankrupt every third month, so they will not absorb their neighbors.

1463 Jan: We keep our 4/7/8 prince.

Apr: Persia annexes Iraq, this will make the provinces worth more war score and Basra takeable.

Jun: Stab -1 reached. Boundary dispute gives a core on Valenciennes. Granada annexes Aragon, good :)

Aug: Naval tech 6 is reached.

1464 Jun: We are running out of BB, down to 3.1 and Mali is discovered yet. We notice that Granada is fighting Venice, Foix, Burgundy, Brittany and France. This means we can take a bit of Granada with no heavy fighting. We wish to take part of the northern coast and the Baleares. Ottoman, Mamelukes and Swahili join.

Aug: Cores in Melilla, Toubkhal, Safi, Ifni, Figuig, Fez and Sus.

1465 Aug: Iberia is a mess: Burgundy beat me to Cantabria, but I got the two OPM revolters (Galicia and Navarra). I will assault Granada after Baleares fall and make peace to stop the 36 regiment Granada army (currently in Andalusia) focusing on me. Then they should be able to handle their own.

106cas7.jpg

Sep: Trade tech 6 is reached.

Nov: A move towards free subjects give -2 inflation, nice.

Dec: A 5* star diplomat dies and a new 5* is generated and hired.

1466 Jan: BB is down to 0.6 and Baleares and Granada has fallen, but alas we need another point of warscore to grab the three provinces of the 2 OPM and the Baleares.

Feb: France peaces with Granada for just money, phew. 42 defenders survive our assault on Cordoba :eek:

Mar: Cordoba falls and we get Galicia, Vizcaya and Baleares for the trouble. Quite nailbiting, knowing that the frenchies could release 2 OPM for several months :wacko: BB Raises to 3.4, WE is 0.3. To gain some fast BB we declare war on Mutapa. We ship troops to Arabia to fight Persia next.

qoi0pt.jpg

Apr: Venice makes peace with Granada for money and cancellation of treaties.

May: Mutapa annexed for 1.6BB. War is declared on Persia, joined by Syria and Trebizond. I take the Ottoman treasury and they will stop sieging my forts, fair deal :)

14ch8nr.jpg

1467 Apr: Stability is up to 0, I switch to Production tech, as I am still ahead in Government tech.

Oct: Trarza is discovered, an army is dispatched to deal with the locals.

Nov: Production tech 7.

1468 Sep: We get a boundary dispute on Adal Harer. War is declared on Adal and Swahili and Najd join, while DotF Kashmir passes.

Oct: Adal is annexed.

Nov: We get a boundary dispute on Burgundian Lothringen.

1469 Jun: We reach 0BB. We assault the siege we have in Persia, which allows us to take 4 provinces to the north.

2efqrl0.jpg

Oct: We get a boundary dispute on Cairo, sweet :D

Dec: In order to gain some spare BB, war is declared on Algiers. Mali, Oman, Mamelukes and Jaylarids join.

1470 Feb: We get spread of discovery on the coast of the Caspian Sea. We sign up for the coast including Astrakhan. War is declared on Qara Koyunlu, join by Baluchstan, Sibir, Nogai, GH, Kazach, Timurids and Chatagai. Even though Kazan is guaranteeing Qara Koyunlu, Kazan are in a war with the Ottomans and refuses the CtA. Bad for them :)

2uh8en9.jpg

Apr: Taodeni becomes a city, fort is constructed.

Jul: Qara K is OPM'ed, another scrennie forgotten :mad:. I hope Persia will annex them.

Aug: Cores on Tlemcen, Oran, Tunis, Atlas, Aures, Gafsa and Gabes.

Oct: Sardinia cores.

1471 Jan: The prince is reelected. We withdraw from Timbuktu, after showing who's boss fighting 1:3.

w85err.jpg

Feb: We OPM Algiers.

zvwqch.jpg

Mar: Marrakech cores.

Sep: Peace with Mali for money. We have explored sufficiently to get access inner Africa (Kanem Bornu) fast in the next war. BB is 6.5 and WE is still 0.00. Now the Kazan are punished for not joining the previous war, only their PU lesser partner Kazach joins. Astrakhan is expensive WS-wise so the plan is to leave it and it will probably defect, and then I will take it from someone else.

23hsk06.jpg

1473 Jan: Production tech 8 is reached.

Apr: Songhai revolts free from Mali. War aim against Kazan is changed to Astrakhan to avoid opening a northern border on the Ottomans as they have become DotF and Songhai is sunni. The prince dies and we get a 4/5/4 moron, which is assigned to fight in Russia.

zn4xs4.jpg

Jul: We take Astrakhan. Ottomans are warring alongside Nogai against GH and with a WE of almost 9, I hope they stay out of my wars. As I declare Holy war on Songhai, they join :( but Mali end up alliance leader :)

2ptouaf.jpg

Aug: Algarve cores.

1474 Jan: We OPM Songhai and peaces out with Mali. BB is 9,0 and WE is 1.50. Cancelling our mission, we get to conquer Toledo for -2BB. Iberia is still a mess, so we have to wait a little.

29e427l.jpg

Jun: Truce is over, so we declare war on Persia. Ottomans, Kazan, Sibir, Haasa and Trebizond join. Ottomans as alliance leader will be troublesome.

Nov: We discover vast amounts of sea. We lose 2 stab to some event, other choice was -1250 ducats.

n4b05f.jpg

1475 Jan: We discover Hausa.

j7xdmw.jpg

Dec: We declare war on Nogai. Sibir and Chatagai come to their aid, but their ally Ottomans are not allowed, as we are already at war.

1476 Jan: Ottomans annexes Georgia. Basra defects to us.

Apr: War of colonial conquest is declared on Hausa.

May: We only get 2 provinces from Persia as they are rather expansive and Ottomans are 'disturbing'. BB rises to 8.8 and WE is 3.19 as Ottoman controlled quite a bit.

21n19jb.jpg

Dec: We take 5 provinces from Hausa as the rest is shielded by Kanem Bornu. BB is 11.9 and WE is 4.29.

otltox.jpg

1478 Jan: Ottomans annexes Yemen.

Oct: We take 3 provinces from Nogai to let BB cool down a bit before truce with Mali ends. BB is 12.1 and WE is 5.42.

scs7kk.jpg