• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I feel that a little bit of your so called 'roading' is necessary. The game mechanics, especially flavor ones for specific nations, need to be at least somewhat likely to occur for it to be reasonable. An England that exists entirely on the continent after losing its homeland to Scotland doesn't have much need for the "Wooden Wall" nor does a Russia pushing west into Germany need the Siberian frontier colonist benefits. I think to make the game feel flavorful it needs to have its mechanics at least tangentially mach history. I don't care if the aforementioned England rules Gaul and has reduced France into an OPM in the Alps but it still should have control of the Isles or else its naval mechanics don't makes sense. But that is just my opinion. Then again it makes me happy to see my games follow a somewhat historical path. I know others revel in ridiculous alt history.

I will however say that the EUIV mission trees have created anew problem of numerous generic nations, which they had also resolved with the last vestiges of "National Ideas" being confined to southern Ethiopia. That does make me upset. It gives majors and those treated with Expansions an unfair advantage.
Mostly agree...dont see the mission trees as that bad but some nations (e.g. italy) need free missiontree updates soon

I feel that a little bit of your so called 'roading' is necessary. The game mechanics, especially flavor ones for specific nations, need to be at least somewhat likely to occur for it to be reasonable. An England that exists entirely on the continent after losing its homeland to Scotland doesn't have much need for the "Wooden Wall" nor does a Russia pushing west into Germany need the Siberian frontier colonist benefits. I think to make the game feel flavorful it needs to have its mechanics at least tangentially mach history. I don't care if the aforementioned England rules Gaul and has reduced France into an OPM in the Alps but it still should have control of the Isles or else its naval mechanics don't makes sense. But that is just my opinion. Then again it makes me happy to see my games follow a somewhat historical path. I know others revel in ridiculous alt history.

I agree about the little bit of roading, but (though I'm probably in the minority here) I disagree on the examples you give, as I think any country that for instance, unifies Ireland or Great Britain should have access to the wooden wall, and any large blob just west of the Urals should have access to the Siberian frontier colonist, unless there are reasons specific to those tags I'm not aware of.

An example of roading I think should be in the game, but isn't: England should have the ability to press a personal union on France until they choose to drop it. It wasn't till around 1800 that the English monarchs dropped their claim to the French throne from Edward the 3rd's era, and the reason they didn't press it was simply because they lacked the ability.