Now Available: EUIV Sounds from the Community - Kairi Soundtrack Part III

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

vvvasi

Sergeant
Community Ambassador
38 Badges
May 3, 2022
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Prison Architect
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
Steam event header.png

We’ve just released the EUIV: Sounds from the Community: Kairi Soundtrack Part III!

This new Community Music Pack includes 13 new songs from Skye Kairi Sawler, a composer previously featured in two other music packs for Paradox Interactive’s flagship historical grand strategy game.

Inspired by the soundtracks of classic strategy games from the late 1990s and early 2000s, Kairi draws on the music from the many cultures you can play in Europa Universalis IV, crafting a musical landscape that mixes themes from Eastern and Western music in a way authentic to the Europa Universalis IV experience.

✨ Get the pack on your platform of choice: click here
✨ Follow Kairi’s work on Soundcloud: click here

Read below for some words from Kairi regarding each of the music pack’s tracks.

Divider top.png

Crossing the Seas
~~~~~
Crossing the Seas was the first piece I ever composed with Europa Universalis in mind. It's funny, I think I ended up spending four full months to create it, and it got overshadowed almost immediately by other pieces that took far less time to compose. While it's not the most complex or intricate piece I've done, it holds a special place in my heart for being that first stepping stone into having my music in the game officially. It'll always be my favourite of the songs I've composed for EU4.
Prelude's March
~~~~~
Prelude's March was a piece that was created in under a day, after Crossing the Seas was posted to the Steam Workshop and Paradox's Forums. The positive feedback I got flooded me with so much joy I think I ended up writing two or three songs in only a couple of days. This one in particular was the first time I had really played around with using a counter-melody as part of the main 'chorus' of the song, and I love how it turned out.
City of the World's Desire
~~~~~
My first attempt at doing music based around the Ottoman Empire, and surrounding landscape. I think it ended up becoming the more popular songs until I started reaching outside of Europe more. The number of instruments I'd never heard of until I composed the piece shocks me to this day.
March for the Empire
~~~~~
March for the Empire got a complete re-work from its original. I was never really happy with the old version, but released it all the same to a middling response. For this project I decided to break it down and completely re-design the melody, while keeping the original feel of the song intact. I'm really pleased with how it turned out, and it went from the songs I liked least from my original mod, to one of my favourites.
Gaelic Summers
~~~~~
I think Gaelic Summers is the only song I ever had multiple people directly message me to thank me for creating. It was a bit surreal at the time, just starting out as a composer; but now I just look back on it and smile. It's a simple piece, to be sure; but I felt I really captured it in the re-master.
Fine Day for Sacrifice
~~~~~
I can clearly remember spending weeks trying to figure out a melody for this piece, my first delving into the Aztec Empire and surrounding area. I found it helped me a lot to focus more on the percussion initially, and let everything else just flow out. While the percussion itself changed slightly in the re-master, I was happy to find strange percussive sounds to add in to give it that original feeling back.
Eastern Mists
~~~~~
Eastern Mists I think was a huge stepping stone for me as a composer. Not only is it considered to be one of my better pieces from the original mod by a lot of folks; but it directly inspired my first soundtrack for EU4, which was also set in East Asia. For the re-master I kept true to that, and just focused on updating the quality, leaving the design and composition as close to original as I could.
Blood for the Old Gods
~~~~~
Blood for the Old Gods was the second released track focusing on the Aztec Empire, but actually was the first I wrote. I had the percussion and base-line down weeks before starting Fine Day for Sacrifice; but couldn't figure out a melody until later on. Funny how that works. The bending woodwind notes ended up becoming so iconic for the piece I had to be sure they stayed in the re-master.
Old Families
~~~~~
For Old Families, I wanted to hone in on China, and the Ming Dynasty more than I had for Eastern Mists, I stuck to specifically instruments that were actually found in the area in the time EU4 is set; and while the re-master includes some additional instruments, that restriction is still accurate. I ended up keeping this theme of focusing on area-accurate instruments for a lot of my work going forward.
The Shogunate will Fall
~~~~~
Japan! The Shogunate! I actually wrote this piece while playing as Takeda in EU4, and just became obsessed with the amazing instruments the time period had to offer. This ended up being the last piece I wrote for the original mod, as after that Paradox Contracted me directly for my first Soundtrack!
Hundred Years War
~~~~~
The Mod included three pieces based around great wars of Europe during EU4's time period, including the namesake for this piece. The original soundtrack Paradox commissioned was actually supposed to be five pieces based around the wars of Europe; but quickly into production we decided to swap things to an area the game's soundtrack didn't cover as much, East Asia. I ended up finishing this piece and releasing it into the mod later on; and at the time it was the piece I was most proud of, the harpsichord always floored me with how great it sounded.
La Bataille de Iberia
~~~~~
Wow, France sure shows up in a lot of these, huh? This one for control of the Iberian Peninsula against Castile/Spain. I believe this was the first piece I ever composed that focused on a guitar, though the harpsichord definitely tries to overshadow it later on, as though the two sides were fighting with the melody itself.
The Siege of Vienna
~~~~~
The Siege of Vienna was the final piece that was in a rough draft before the first of the community soundtracks shifted focus; and it was my favourite. I wanted it to feel as though the H.R.E and the Ottoman Empire were battling in the music itself, as with the other 'War' themes; and I feel I really got that working. It was definitely tough to balance such contrasting sounds, but this remains a piece I consider to be one of the best I ever composed, even outside of EU4.

Last edited:
  • 11Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Aw... I was pretty hype to see a new music pack from Kairi, but it's all the same songs as her old mod (wait, which has now been deleted?!).

To be fair, a few of them are quite altered (more "balanced", less synthetic-sounding [idk the terminology, not an audio engineer]) and a lot of work was probably put into making sure all the tracks fit the EU4 soundscape. And I'm really glad to see some more context for each song here! So sure, I love the existence of this DLC; it'll hopefully reach a greater audience than the mod.

...But why delete the OG? Listening to the new tracks on Soundcloud, I think I prefer the old "Blood of the Old Gods" and "Eastern Mists" (or maybe it's just soundcloud's compression—god, soundcloud has awful compression) while the new "March for the Empire" is definitely better (even over soundcloud lol). "The Siege of Vienna", "La Bataille de Iberia", and "Hundred Years War" sounds about the same to me, but most songs have changed—even drastically.

All this means: if one only has the mod, then they don't have this music pack; they're different enough to have different purposes, and they should both be preserved.
(Luckily I still have the OG mod in it's crisp .ogg format ;) It's just sad that what was once free and unique has been lost, altered, then sold as the only option to experience it again for everyone who didn't make a local backup. SO stupid that Steam auto deletes your installed mods if they get removed from the workshop...)

Internet Archive of the mod's workshop: https://web.archive.org/web/2022073...munity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=312536750
PDX Forum link (the dropbox download was deleted and soundcloud tracks removed): https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/kairi-blodeuyns-music-mod.801666/
10 month old confirmation deletion was intentional: @Blodeuyn, remember to let that guy know they've returned lol

• 3Like
Reactions:
I'm so old, I remember the tracks from my time as a EUIV modder in the early stage of 2013/2014. March for the Empire seems to be better.

Have to agree that it's a bit strange how something old and free is now sold as something new for 5 euro. However, I don't regret to support Kairi. I just hoped to hear something new from her.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Aw... I was pretty hype to see a new music pack from Kairi, but it's all the same songs as her old mod (wait, which has now been deleted?!).

To be fair, a few of them are quite altered (more "balanced", less synthetic-sounding [idk the terminology, not an audio engineer]) and a lot of work was probably put into making sure all the tracks fit the EU4 soundscape. And I'm really glad to see some more context for each song here! So sure, I love the existence of this DLC; it'll hopefully reach a greater audience than the mod.

...But why delete the OG? Listening to the new tracks on Soundcloud, I think I prefer the old "Blood of the Old Gods" and "Eastern Mists" (or maybe it's just soundcloud's compression—god, soundcloud has awful compression) while the new "March for the Empire" is definitely better (even over soundcloud lol). "The Siege of Vienna", "La Bataille de Iberia", and "Hundred Years War" sounds about the same to me, but most songs have changed—even drastically.

All this means: if one only has the mod, then they don't have this music pack; they're different enough to have different purposes, and they should both be preserved.
(Luckily I still have the OG mod in it's crisp .ogg format ;) It's just sad that what was once free and unique has been lost, altered, then sold as the only option to experience it again for everyone who didn't make a local backup. SO stupid that Steam auto deletes your installed mods if they get removed from the workshop...)

Internet Archive of the mod's workshop: https://web.archive.org/web/2022073...munity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=312536750
PDX Forum link (the dropbox download was deleted and soundcloud tracks removed): https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/kairi-blodeuyns-music-mod.801666/
10 month old confirmation deletion was intentional: @Blodeuyn, remember to let that guy know they've returned lol

Thanks for the hype, haha. While it's true that the songs were originally from my old mod; nearly all of them were fully re-mastered, balance fixing, and in a couple of cases (like you noted for March for the Empire), completely re-done; I can understand wanting to preserve both options.

The mod was taken down originally to avoid any confusion when the project first started to remaster and release it as a DLC, and since the mod hadn't been updated or maintained (whoops) in half a decade, I didn't think most people would notice! I got quite a few messages about it though...

I'll be sure to send that user a message! Thanks for reminding me!
I'm so old, I remember the tracks from my time as a EUIV modder in the early stage of 2013/2014. March for the Empire seems to be better.

Have to agree that it's a bit strange how something old and free is now sold as something new for 5 euro. However, I don't regret to support Kairi. I just hoped to hear something new from her.

Good times, huh?

There is new music coming in the near future, so keep posted! :)

• 3Like
Reactions:
Congrats on another release @Kairi Blodeuyn!

Love seeing more community projects supported by Paradox - particularly music! (unbaised)

• 2Like
Reactions:
just bought it! what amazing songs!

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions: