• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
heretic = { PENTECOSTAL PURITAN CONGREGATIONALIST }

What the...? :D

Though the naval battles are much more interesting as a non-one-sided affair, I have to say... Light ships—you need them. :D They are the cavalry of the sea, and (IMHO) a better long-term return on one's investment than the lightweight and somewhat disposable galley Zerg rush. I fully endorse your putting the transports into the fray, though; some folks don't like hazarding them in combat.

heretic = { PENTECOSTAL PURITAN CONGREGATIONALIST }

What the...? :D

Good question :)

Though the naval battles are much more interesting as a non-one-sided affair, I have to say... Light ships—you need them. :D They are the cavalry of the sea, and (IMHO) a better long-term return on one's investment than the lightweight and somewhat disposable galley Zerg rush. I fully endorse your putting the transports into the fray, though; some folks don't like hazarding them in combat.

That's not a bad idea; I've never really bothered with light ships before. Are you suggesting that light ships could entirely replace galleys?

That's not a bad idea; I've never really bothered with light ships before. Are you suggesting that light ships could entirely replace galleys?

I haven't crunched the numbers, so I can't give you the Accounting dept.'s take on it, but my understanding is that a fleet's average speed in DW also affects the battle variable of positioning (which is, I guess, to simulate who gets the weather gauge and therefore the advantage).

In brief, a fleet with a lower average speed—carracks and galleys—is going to have a worse positioning value than one with carracks and light ships. Unless the carrack + galley nation has other supporting variables (better admiral, more naval NIs) they are always going to be at a disadvantage against a similarly-sized carrack + light ship fleet.

I don't know that I would junk galleys entirely, but I would try to bring one or two "combat" fleets up to a carrack/pinnace/galley mix, with the pinnace-to-carrack ratio being at least 1:1, plus a greater number of galleys. Could also chuck some light ships into the transport squadrons to give them greater avg combat speed if you ever throw them into cog-vs-cog combat unaccompanied by the heavier units.

DWs positioning system prevents humongo big-ship-only fleets. You'll want at least a 1-1 ratio of big to light ships.

I wonder how will the counts and dukes (Cicero, Germanicii, Graetis etc.) respond to the religion change... and how will Leo respond if they oppose him? :D

A fair question -- who can say?

I haven't crunched the numbers, so I can't give you the Accounting dept.'s take on it, but my understanding is that a fleet's average speed in DW also affects the battle variable of positioning (which is, I guess, to simulate who gets the weather gauge and therefore the advantage).

In brief, a fleet with a lower average speed—carracks and galleys—is going to have a worse positioning value than one with carracks and light ships. Unless the carrack + galley nation has other supporting variables (better admiral, more naval NIs) they are always going to be at a disadvantage against a similarly-sized carrack + light ship fleet.

I don't know that I would junk galleys entirely, but I would try to bring one or two "combat" fleets up to a carrack/pinnace/galley mix, with the pinnace-to-carrack ratio being at least 1:1, plus a greater number of galleys. Could also chuck some light ships into the transport squadrons to give them greater avg combat speed if you ever throw them into cog-vs-cog combat unaccompanied by the heavier units.

DWs positioning system prevents humongo big-ship-only fleets. You'll want at least a 1-1 ratio of big to light ships.

Good stuff on the whole light ships thing -- as of now, I've got just the one combined fleet, but I've been thinking about eventually making two, one I can keep in Thrace and one in Italy. When I took Bureaucracy a bit ago, I seriously considered getting Press Gangs instead. Can somebody enlighten me on the best naval NIs? I've so often played big land powers that I often neglect navy stuff.

Congratulations on becoming a pirate! :D

Nice that you were WritAAR!

Congratulations on becoming a pirate! :D

Nice that you were WritAAR!

Thanks!

So, I played EU 3 for a few hours, got a lot more land, went through four (!!!) Emperors, and all in all made some serious progress. I'm going to update sometime in the next two or three days; I have to sort out how I want to break down the chapters.

Congratulations on a well-deserved WritAAR of the Week award!

Good stuff on the whole light ships thing -- as of now, I've got just the one combined fleet, but I've been thinking about eventually making two, one I can keep in Thrace and one in Italy. When I took Bureaucracy a bit ago, I seriously considered getting Press Gangs instead. Can somebody enlighten me on the best naval NIs? I've so often played big land powers that I often neglect navy stuff.

I don't know that there's a "best" Naval NI mix, it depends on the nation and your style of play. I like to get the NIs that give boosts to combat capabilities (morale, leader stats) but then I am very careful about naval battles and not wading in way over my head. Press Gangs with its cost reduction is certainly very attractive in the long term, and is beneficial even if enemy fleets attrite a lot of your own.

Press gangs. Generally, I'm the opposite of Chris Taylor, my NI's tend to have a more "civilian" feel and I rarely "swap" ideas. In my current game I have Drill(started with) and Press Gangs. I too am playing a Italian nation that has..expanded :D to a large scale in the Med and am off to India.

You either played for a looong time or the emperors started to get less "healthy" Can't wait to see which one :D

Well, I did play up to about 1545.

Congratulations on a well-deserved WritAAR of the Week award!

I don't know that there's a "best" Naval NI mix, it depends on the nation and your style of play. I like to get the NIs that give boosts to combat capabilities (morale, leader stats) but then I am very careful about naval battles and not wading in way over my head. Press Gangs with its cost reduction is certainly very attractive in the long term, and is beneficial even if enemy fleets attrite a lot of your own.

Press gangs. Generally, I'm the opposite of Chris Taylor, my NI's tend to have a more "civilian" feel and I rarely "swap" ideas. In my current game I have Drill(started with) and Press Gangs. I too am playing a Italian nation that has..expanded :D to a large scale in the Med and am off to India.

Interesting stuff on both sets of naval NIs; I think Press Gangs will be the next NI I take.

Haven't been sleeping very well the last few days (a variety of reasons, nothing to be concerned about), but soon I will have an update, I promise!

I don't like Naval Ideas personally, but in general I agree with what Chris said.
Anyway get better soon!

PS congrats for having been WritAAR of the week!

Last edited:
I don't like Naval Ideas personally, but in general I agree with what Chris said.
Anyway get better soon!

PS congrats for having been WritAAR of the week!

Thanks! Oh, and it's not illness, just inconsiderate neighbors, the entire universe conspiring against me to ensure that loud noises occur right when I get to sleep, etc. I'm as right as rain, physically.

Press Gang is by far one of the best NI's in the game, if you're going to build navies anyway :)

Thanks for the feedback!

So, I've sorted my screenshots; I've got at least three updates coming in the next week or two. That'll get me more or less caught up again.