• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I forgot to mention in my last comment that I think you should follow the Roman example after Teutoburg and retire the numbers of the three legions lost in Greece. For great justice.

Banging your head on the wall and shouting "Cosimo Grimaldi, give me back my legions!" is optional. :D

The battle of Lombardia was impressive; you were outnumbered almost 3-to-1 against a 4-shock general (with no general of your own!) and still eked out a victory. Wow.

I don't know about that peace deal with Aquileia though. Some wise forum dweller (I've forgotten whom) once said that given the wide availability of CBs, no province is worth taking at full infamy. Eight points is a steep price to pay—I hope it's worth it in the end.

Great update, sad to see an old warhorse like Marshal Germanicus retire.

I forgot to mention in my last comment that I think you should follow the Roman example after Teutoburg and retire the numbers of the three legions lost in Greece. For great justice.

Banging your head on the wall and shouting "Cosimo Grimaldi, give me back my legions!" is optional. :D

The battle of Lombardia was impressive; you were outnumbered almost 3-to-1 against a 4-shock general (with no general of your own!) and still eked out a victory. Wow.

I don't know about that peace deal with Aquileia though. Some wise forum dweller (I've forgotten whom) once said that given the wide availability of CBs, no province is worth taking at full infamy. Eight points is a steep price to pay—I hope it's worth it in the end.

Great update, sad to see an old warhorse like Marshal Germanicus retire.

I thought about doing that -- except that would be all the legions but one. Plus, there's no Varus to blame it on; I will repeat this practice if it happens again (and it damn well better not) :mad:

In my Russia game, I actually ended up running out of CBs; now, I don't know if that will be the case in this game, but I'd rather not chance it. With Very Easy, I've got a nice infamy limit (although the modifiers for high infamy are somewhat unpleasant). At the end of the day, you may be right. We shall see.

We haven't seen the last of Andreas Germanicus; after all, he's a Duke now and therefore a member of the Senate.

At last, Milan! Great!

You have no idea how pleased I was!

Ah Varus...
As for the Legions...plenty of numbers in the universe;)
Perhaps the LXXXIX will be seen.

I suppose it's possible; but 89 legions is an awful lot :)

Great update -- Finally caught up myself. I've been buried in HoI3, but this is making me want to come back...

Can't wait for more!

I just got Darkest Hour, so I feel your pain.

I promise, I'm about to load EU 3 now and play up until John kicks the bucket.

Chapter 17: Adventures in diplomacy

14 September 1506, the Senate Chamber

Since the Second Great Italian War had ended, the Empire of Tuscany had been very quiet. Today was not one of those days, however, for the debate on the Emperor's newest policy was lively and spread throughout the Empire, not just the Senate. John I, Emperor of Tuscany and King of Milan, had proposed officially abandoning the Holy Roman Empire (nobody dared call it the Damned German Empire at this point). Of the ten Senators, two were fervently in favor of the decision -- Foreign Minister Pietro Bizzelli and the Duke of Pisa and Siena, Sextus Porcius Cato. Bizzelli knew that such an accomplishment would be a glorious achievement for his family; Sextus, on the other hand, believed that Austria had for too long restricted Tuscany's freedom of action.

The opposition was led by the German from Mecklenburg, Andreas Germanicus, Duke of Milan. He rejected the proposal because he worried about other foreign powers; the might of Austria probably kept some of the more enthusiastic countries like France or Great Britain from paying attention to the Italian peninsula. His popularity throughout the Empire gave him a firm following; Agrippa Tullius Cicero, the Duke of Ancona and Romagna and the Duke of Sicily and Malta, Marshal of the Empire Alex del Moro supported him.

That made the vote 3-2 against. Emperor John could only vote in the case of a tie, according to the Constitution. Prince Rodolfo, the Duke of Rome and Heir to the Throne, did not have his mind on politics; his wife had given birth to a beautiful baby boy, whom he named Leopoldo in honor of the former Emperor. Born in 1502, he was an unremarkable lad. With Rodolfo's personal vitality and vigor, few expected great things of him, although it was a bit worrisome that the Emperor had been unable to produce an heir. He'd developed a taste for army life and was rarely in the capital, unless something truly important was necessary.

As Emperor, John I convened the session of the Senate, as was his right.

"Senators and Nobles of the Empire, I greet you. We have a difficult decision to make today. Do we, or do we not, leave the Holy Roman Empire?"

chapter17september1506.jpg

A copy of the Emperor's proposal

"Foreign Minister Bizzelli, the floor is yours, as champion of this policy. We will then hear from Duke Germanicus, who will provide a rebuttal, and then the rest of you may voice your concerns."

Foreign Minister Pietro Leopoldo Bizzelli rose. "Gentlemen of the Senate, for years, Austria has tried to control Tuscan foreign policy. Twice, they have demanded lands from our Empire and twice we have had to agree to their terms, fearing their mighty army. We cannot do so again. We have little reason to invade German lands or seize their territory, and I would even welcome a formal alliance, should that come to pass. But only as equal partners and not subordinates could we truly make our own destiny. Thank you."

Next, the former Marshal of the Empire and Duke of Milan Andreas Germanicus addressed the crowd. "I actually agree, for the most part, with Minister Bizzelli's sentiment. I only question the timing. Gentlemen, there is an excellent chance that we could soon formally unify Italy. If that happened, I foresee many wars of Reconciliation to bring some of the independent Italian states into Italy. As long as we are a part of the Holy Roman Empire, we need not fear Austria's involvement in our wars. It is true that Austria cannot demand territory if we are not part of the Empire; however, they could simply take it."

After the Duke of Milan sat, Emperor John I opened the floor for any additional commentary. The expected impassioned defenses (and attacks) on the Emperor's policy went unabated for about fifteen minutes. Quietly, one of the most beloved men in the entire Empire, Publius Porcius Cato, rose to his feet and waited for silence.

"Senators, Emperor, I have carefully sat and listened to each argument. I must cast my vote with Foreign Minister Bizzelli, but because I feel we are inevitably bound to fight Austria at some point. Our leaving the Empire makes Austria weaker, gives her fewer soldiers to fight her wars with. I do not think it is being too boastful to claim that we are the #2 power in the Holy Roman Empire; Bohemia is a force to be reckoned with as well, but in my opinion they simply could not match our strength in any contest, be it diplomatic, military, or economic. The longer we wait, the more powerful Austria grows at our expense; it must be done soon, if it is to be done at all."

The final vote was 7 to 3 in favor of leaving the Holy Roman Empire. The Emperor thanked the Senate, then instructed Foreign Minister Bizzelli to submit the formal note to the Emperor of Austria.

The Damned German Empire was no longer a factor in the politics and foreign relations of Tuscany.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
28 January 1507, the balcony of the Imperial Palace

The last couple of months had been quite dull. Emperor John I had strengthened the power of the Aristocracy once again -- unsurprisingly, the vote was unanimous -- and was getting bored. His great victory in the Second Great Italian War was nice, but he needed a way to get into wars that the rest of Europe would sanction.

That's when he made an important decision: to proclaim Tuscany as Defender of the Catholic Faith. Unlike his predecessors, John had never bothered with the religious quarrels between the Pope and the Emperor of Tuscany. After all, the Pope had made the first Emperor of Tuscany, Maso I, a saint rather than excommunicating him. There were many benefits to being Defender of the Faith -- Prestige and Morale for his men chief among them -- but it also made trade and production technology a little more expensive. He hadn't consulted the Senate on this, because it was not their place to comment on matters of religion.

Besides, there were Catholics and Orthodox -- how could religion possibly get more complicated?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5 March 1407, the Imperial Throne Room

Very few were surprised when Philosopher Bonaventura Bizzelli passed away. He was easily the oldest member of the Imperial Council; even older than the Cato brothers. As John carefully examined his options, he had his finest troubadours commission a National Epic to encourage more talented individuals to come to the Empire of Tuscany.

He briefly considered hiring a Theologian; he'd heard some rumblings within the Catholic Church about some changes to church doctrine, and frankly needed them explained. However, he knew that philosophy was incredibly prestigious throughout Europe, and that a brilliant philosopher was almost crucial to ensure that the Personal Union with Milan remained intact.

He hired Vitale Gori -- a relative unknown, but the University of Rome greatly respected him and his work, as he had achieved the fourth rank, or "star", in philosophy before graduating. He knew little of Gori's politics or personal beliefs, and knew he was taking something of a risk by hiring such an unknown and making him part of the Senate. Still, the laws were very firm -- all members of the Imperial Council would become Counts, and thus part of the Senate. Until and unless there were additional Duchies, ten Senators was enough. He sent for Gori, and when the new Philosopher arrived, he was stunned.

Most philosophers tended to be thin, scrawny, and gaunt. Gori, on the other hand, had the appearance of a man who enjoyed life to the fullest.

"Vitale Gori, I presume?"

The jolly little fat man smiled and bowed. "Indeed, your Imperial Majesty. I would like to thank you for choosing me to fill the open spot on the Imperial Council. I promise you will not be disappointed."

John nodded once. "As part of your new role in the Imperial administration, you have been proclaimed a Count of the Empire; it does not include estates, but it does include a sizable income, so that you might focus on your work."

Gori smiled even wider. "And be on the Imperial Senate? No thank you, Emperor. I like to travel, to talk to people, and to see what makes them who they are. Being stuck in this musty old palace would be like a death sentence. I must decline your generous offer, Emperor John. The title of Court Philosopher is reward enough." He then bowed one final time and left.

John I could not help but smile as the strange little man left. There were now only nine seats in the Senate. With the death of Bonaventura Bizzelli, his son, the Foreign Minister, was now Duke of Istria.
1 May 1507, a small gathering in Sardinia

The center of the small village was buzzing with excitement. A knight of the Teutonic Order had been there the day before, preaching a new kind of Christianity. No fat priests getting rich off of the hard work of Tuscan peasants. No confessions. Just read the Bible, understand the Bible, and through simple faith, you were guaranteed a place in Heaven. On the spot, in a solemn ceremony, a number of villagers pledged allegiance to the new faith.

chapter17may1507.jpg

The charter signed by those who converted

An agent of the Duke of Sardinia, unbeknownst to the villagers, was carefully watching the situation with growing fear. He immediately went to speak the Duke, Axel Gathenhielm.

"My lord Duke, the villagers are becoming Protestant!"

Axel's full attention was on his agent. "Rebellious are they? I shall send for a legion!"

"No, Duke, I mean that they have accepted the Protestant Faith."

"So they're Muslim now?"

His agent sighed. "Have you not heard of the Teutonic Order's new interpretation of Christianity?"

Axel shrugged. The agent groaned. "It seems a fat little German priest, on the run from the authorities, took sanctuary with the Teutonic Knights, who protected him. They call their new faith Protestantism, or the protesting of the power of the Pope and bishops in worldly affairs. They mean to bring down the priesthood!"

Axel chuckled. "If they still believe in Jesus, our Lord and Savior, I see no cause for alarm. If you're so terribly concerned, you can go before the Senate, but I think you're just being paranoid."

The agent, fuming, said nothing. He had no intention of going before the Senate; he was very ambitious and wanted to become a noble himself some day, and he knew that many of the Senators would act just as his Duke had. So, for now, he simply waited. Surely somebody would care about this?
20 August 1507, the Ducal Palace in Rome

One arrow. One the fate of a single arrow the Empire turned.

Prince Rodolfo, unlike many nobles, rarely, if ever, hunted. He was a thin man and rarely ate much; some speculated he had some sort of problem in his stomach that kept him from eating meat. However, his wife's father had come to visit -- she was the daughter of a very wealthy Genoese merchant -- and so when her father invited him, he felt he could not refuse.

His servants tried to get him to wear brightly colored clothing, but his father-in-law scoffed at such a notion. After all, if you wore bright clothing, the animals would see you! What nonsense!

During the hunt, a deer had been spotted; unlike most nobles, his father-in-law refused to use firearms. Once a deer is spotted, you are to dismount, and try to stealthily approach the beast. For once, Prince Rodolfo was enjoying himself. Here was a challenge! He approached the beast with care, making sure not to step on any branches. What nobody knew, unfortunately, was that the Prince's father-in-law was nearsighted. Very nearsighted. When he spotted the deer and took aim, the arrow went nowhere near the deer.

It went through the Prince's throat.

chapter17august1507.jpg

He was dead instantly. Emperor John was notified, and within a couple of days he had ridden there. Although he'd never been very close to his heir -- Rodolfo's father, the son of Prince John (the ill-fated Gian Gastone Datti), and his mother, an English princess, had raised him -- Emperor John was still mortified. Rodolfo's little son, Leopoldo, was only five years old; he might never remember his father. However, John I could not raise Leopoldo, and Rodolfo's parents had long since died.

A Sardinian priest overheard the Emperor muttering to himself, and decided to approach the Emperor.

"Emperor John, I have a solution to your problem."

John turned to look at the priest. His garb looked a little odd; certainly it did not appear Catholic, but then again, Sardinia was an island kingdom, and islands tended to have their own odd customs. "Father, I would be delighted to hear your proposal."

"The Knights of the Teutonic Order have built a school for orphaned nobles. They would make sure that the poor lad gets an education fit for the future Emperor of Tuscany. My sup- er my friend in Danzig would be very pleased to host Prince Leopoldo."

The more John thought about it, the more he liked it. "Father, thank you very much. You have lifted a great weight from my shoulders. The Heir to the Imperial Throne, Leopoldo Datti, shall be placed in your care, until such time as he arrives at the monastery of the Teutonic Order. Is there anything I might offer you for your kindness?"

The priest just smiled and shook his head. As John I left, the priest quietly muttered to himself. "Of course not; you're giving Protestants one of their most powerful protectors."
5 July 1508, the Senate Chamber

It was an impossible situation. All nine Senators were at each other's throats. The most recent vote -- on whether or not to grant the clergy religious autonomy -- was very tame and mild. The period of the Tuscan break with the Catholic church was over. Catholic priests -- in particular, the kind father who had found a place for the young Prince Leopoldo -- were no longer persecuted in the Empire of Tuscany. The decision was unanimous.

chapter17november1507.jpg

The Senate's proposal, November 1507

However, with the death of the only Imperial General, Carlo Savonarola, there was far from unanimity on his replacement. Publius Porcius Cato wanted his son Marius to become the new General; the Duke of Sicily and Marshal of the Empire, Alex del Moro, wanted to lead the troops into battle himself; and the former Marshal of the Empire, Andreas Germanicus, wanted the position for his own son, Gaius Drusus Germanicus.

The bickering had continued for two hours, and unfortunately, there was a three way tie. The brothers Cato voted for Marius, Germanicus and Gathenhielm voted for Gaius, and del Moro and Tiberius Graecus voted for del Moro. The Foreign Minister and Agrippa Tullius Cicero abstained. Normally, the ninth Senator would have been Prince Leopoldo, but he was obviously too young to make such decision, and the Emperor had yet to appoint a regent.

Very quietly, and with internal reserves of strength he never knew he had, the Emperor rose. "I know it is customary for me to break the tie in such a case, but I cannot choose one candidate over another -- none of the candidates, apart from Marshal del Moro, have leadership experience, and I need the Marshal here. Therefore, I propose a fourth candidate.

"Myself."

Everybody, all of a sudden, was completely silent. The Emperor had been a General before, unlike anybody else in the room. He was very popular among the men, having completely atoned for the sins of the Ottoman War in the eyes of most Tuscans with his personal bravery. All eight men nodded. The Emperor was already the most powerful man in the Empire, so there was no politics over who would get which Duchy. The vote was unanimous.

"Thank you, Senators. As I will not be home as frequently in my capacity as General, I would propose that a three man committee serve as my government unless I am in the capital -- Marshal del Moro, Chancellor Gathenhielm, and Foreign Minister Bizzelli. Any objections?"

There were none. It was settled. The Emperor set out for Istria, to command the unofficial "Legio VI" -- in reality, it only had 6000 cavalry, and no infantry, but somebody needed to defend Istria until a proper Legion could be stationed there.
15 July 1509, the camp of Legio III 'Butterius' in Istria

Emperor John I -- or General Datti, as he insisted his men call him -- had a very harrowing two months. A rebellion sprung up in Istria, and his cavalry were unprepared. The Croatian rebels had no idea who the General was, and let him go instead of ransoming him; a very foolish mistake. He'd lost 6000 men either killed or captured -- most captured. He was furious, and immediately sailed back to the Empire, prepared the Third Legion for combat, and led them in a great victory against the Croatian rebels.

He was worried about easily his cavalry were dispersed, however. He'd sent a note to Marshal del Moro to find a way to give the Legions a little more power. He'd just received the recommendation from the Marshal, and proceeded to read it.

To John I, Emperor of Tuscany and King of Milan

Per your request, I have sent some of my finest soldiers around Europe, and discovered something surprising. A brilliant engineer has invented something called a 'Culverin' -- like the mighty guns which arm our ships, but small enough to be pulled around by a team of horses. It is truly wondrous to see in action; I would propose every legion receive 1000 men detailed to this task, as it will greatly enhance our striking power.

Awaiting your reply,

Marshal Alex del Moro, Duke of Sicily and Malta​

John I liked the sound of this, immediately wrote "Approved: John I" and dispatched the reply. Each legion would now have 10,000 men -- usually, but not always, 6000 infantry, 3000 cavalry, and 1000 artillery.
15 February 1512, the Foreign Minister's office

Pietro Leopoldo Bizzelli had been very busy the last few years. The Swedes, once again, had called upon Tuscany to assist them in a war.

chapter17july1510.jpg

The formal request for assistance, July 1510

After consulting with the Senate, they all voted to assist their fraternal ally, not least because it would involve very little active effort by the Empire; they were quite far away, and had no intention of committing sizable numbers of men for Sweden's benefit. They might be allies, but they were not friends.

After about a year, Sweden started winning some impressive successes. They vassalized Finland and got a small indemnity from Lithuania, in addition to both parties severing their ties with the rest of Europe. Although publicly the Emperor praised Sweden's successes, privately everybody knew he was getting jealous -- it had been sometime since Tuscany had scored a victory in war.

As the minister carefully considered some schemes to get more territory for the Empire, there was a knock at his door. "Come in!"

The Ambassador from Denmark was at the door. He bowed and presented a proposal from the King of Denmark to end Tuscany's interference in the war.

chapter17february1512.jpg

"Thank you ambassador; I shall bring this to the Senate this afternoon. You may wait in my office, if you like, or I shall send for you when the vote is over."

The ambassador indicated he preferred to remain in the minister's office, and so the Foreign Minister took the proposal into the Senate Chamber. They had already scheduled a meeting for 3 PM, but it was just day-to-day stuff; the Emperor wasn't even going to attend.

Pietro handed the proposal to Chancellor Gathenhielm before the meeting started; Axel agreed it would be the very first item on the agenda. As the rest of the Senate gathered in, the Chancellor opened the meeting, as promised, with the Danish peace proposal.

"Gentlemen, Foreign Minister Bizzelli has brought this to our attention; the Danish Ambassador has proposed a peace with the Empire, and they will pay a small indemnity. Opinions?"

Marshal del Moro rose his hand. "Why would the Danish offer an indemnity at all? After all, we have committed neither soldiers nor sailors to this war, as instructed by the Emperor."

Nobody seemed to have an answer for this. The Chancellor consulted the latest intelligence, but was no closer to a solution. They had no choice but to call in the Danish ambassador.

"Mr. Ambassador, you come to us with a proposal for peace. May we ask why Denmark now is so anxious for peace?"

The Ambassador looked equally puzzled. "Why, the Tuscan flag flies over Hamburg and Lauenburg, and the Genoese besiege Altmark. The King of Denmark knows that the citizens of the Empire of Tuscany are a peace-loving people; we would offer a small gift as our thanks."

The Chancellor nodded. "Then, with the authority invested in me by the Emperor of Tuscany, we accept your proposal. The Emperor is not here to sign the treaty, but I will send him a copy as soon as this meeting concludes, and he will sign it as quickly as possible. We humbly accept your gift, and we will formally inform our allies to cease all offensive operations in your lands."

The Ambassador bowed and thanked the assemblage profusely.

The Senators all smiled after he left. For no Tuscan involvement, they had gotten 54 ducats for the Imperial Treasury; vassals were a powerful asset in the Empire.
2 August 1514, the Imperial Camp of the Third Legion, Athens

Finally, the Empire had an opportunity to expand its power. The Greek kingdom of Epirus had called for Imperial aid just a few months ago.

chapter17march1514.jpg

A group of rebels had proclaimed the foundation of Byzantium in Athens and Naxos, formerly territories of Epirus. To put down the rebellion, Greek officials had personally gone to Constantinople to plead for assistance; Duke Tiberius Graecus had forwarded the request to the Emperor. The Senate voted unanimously to assist Epirus, but the Emperor had other plans. He had no intention of returning the lands to Epirus.

He personally led the Third Legion into battle, decisively defeating the rebel army at the Battle of Janina.

chapter17june1514.jpg

With loyal vassal Ferrara already occupying Athens, the presence of the Third Legion spurred Ferrara to assault the fortress of Athens, and it quickly fell. Although the Byzantine rebels had begged for peace, the Emperor had briefly returned to Tuscany to sign a new law, formally establishing the Imperial Bureaucracy and dramatically increasing funding, in the hopes that tax collection would be improved.

chapter17july1514.jpg

Today, however, the Emperor had returned, and met with the Byzantine delegation. Their own offer was trifling; an insignificant indemnity. The Emperor's counteroffer was far more punishing.

chapter17august1514.jpg

The Byzantine delegation, fuming, accepted because they had no choice. Naxos had yet to fall, but it was only a matter of time, and vassalization was vastly preferable to annexation. The Emperor signed the treaty, but cleverly did so as General Gian Gastone Datti, and not as Emperor John I. Essentially, he was presenting the Senate with a fait accompli, which they would have no choice but to accept, without overstepping his authority by the Imperial Constitution he'd agreed to.

Already, he dreamed of making Greece a Tuscan protectorate.
2 January 1515, the new Imperial Palace

As thousands gathered in St. Peter's square, the Emperor of Tuscany, John I, called for silence.

"Citizens of Tuscany, today is a truly New Year for our Empire. Ever since 476 AD, no Empire has ruled in Rome. The Pope claimed Rome for their own, while foreign armies marched through Italian soil. No more! By Imperial proclamation and the approval of the Senate, Rome is now the capital of the Empire of Tuscany!"

chapter17january1515.jpg

"It is a mere matter of time before the crowns of Tuscany and Milan are united, and then, finally, Italy will be whole! None shall be able to withstand the glory of the Empire!"

The applause was deafening. Everybody was pleased; the Castle St. Angelo (formally renamed the Castle St. Maso) was officially the seat of Imperial government and the old Senate building was refurbished and restored to its former purpose.

The Heir to the Throne was now the Duke of Florence, not the Duke of Rome; even Prince Leopoldo was on hand, having recently returned from the monastery of the Teutonic Order. He would now officially be invested as Duke of Florence, and would rule in the formal Imperial palace, going to Rome when the Senate met.

Prince Leopoldo had grown tremendously; not as large as his father or his cousin, Emperor John I, but still very tall, if thin. He rarely spoke, but in his eyes burned the fire of his religious conviction. He had taken the teachings of the Monks of the Teutonic Order to heart, and now needed only to learn the business of administration to be a worthy Emperor someday.

What nobody noticed was that the Prince did not attend the mass in Rome -- he had already left for Florence.
17 December 1516, the Castle St. Maso

John I sighed. Things had been very quiet the past year. He'd not had a real opportunity to extend Tuscan power any farther. And now he had to perform his least favorite task; appointing a new Councillor. The sudden death of Pietro Leopoldo Bizzelli had aroused many suspicions; he was far too young to die of natural causes. As he sat mulling over the list of candidates, Chancellor Gathenhielm knocked on the door.

"Come in Chancellor, what news do you have?" he asked, but his originally jovial greeting turned icy as he saw the look on the Chancellor's face.

"Emperor, I have troubling news regarding the recent death of the Foreign Minister." He then handed over a blood-soaked signet ring with the seal of the Baron of Palermo. The Emperor's rage was palpable. He furiously grabbed a pen and scrawled out an Imperial decree, then shoved it into the Chancellor's hand.

As the Chancellor read it, his face turned white.

To all citizens of Tuscany,

The untimely death of the Foreign Minister, Pietro Leopoldo Bizzelli, the Duke of Istria, has been thoroughly investigated. An assassin with the ring of the Baron of Palermo was discovered at the scene of the crime. As your Emperor, I am issuing the following decrees:

1) The Baron of Palermo is to be arrested and charged with treason. He will not be tried; a writ of attainder has been issued in my name. I am empowering all constables with any authority necessary to secure his arrest.

2) All patents of nobility for all Barons are hereby revoked, pending an investigation of their loyalties. Those found loyal will be given positions within the Imperial administration as close to their current duties and salaries as possible. Those who are not will be executed on the spot.

3) The title of Baron is hereby forbidden and shall never be used again. All baronial signet rings will be confiscated; anybody attempting to use one shall be arrested for treason and sentenced to 10 years hard labor.

4) For five years, there shall be no new patents of nobility granted except in the case of inheritance. Any new noble will be thoroughly investigated.

Like the people of Tuscany, I am angry at the betrayal of those considered to be among the most loyal men of the Empire; vengeance shall be ours.

The Emperor​

"Emperor, should I bring this to the Senate?"

A single glare from the Emperor gave him his answer. "Chancellor, this is to be copied and posted throughout the Empire. Use the Legions if you must, but all Barons must be arrested and investigated. You have unlimited resources to carry this out; I do not tolerate treachery and they must be made an example of. I will personally clear or condemn each Baron."

"Your Imperial Majesty, doesn't the Imperial constitution require a vote of 2/3 to revoke a patent of nobility?"

The smile on the Emperor's face was positively evil. "Only for Counts and Dukes. You may wish to let any Senator who wants to belabor this point know that I could extend investigations to them as well."

Trembling, the Chancellor bowed, and ordered as many copies as his scribes could produce.

Without even thinking, the Emperor grabbed a quill, circled the name of a prominent (but largely incompetent) theologian, and immediately issued two more decrees; a higher tax on churches and a law criminalizing possession of a Bible for any non-noble, otherwise known as the Advancement of Religion Act; many scholars later said the latter was passed by mistake, and very few cases of its ever being enforced exist.

chapter17december1516.jpg

10 February 1519, the Ducal palace at Florence

Prince Leopoldo carefully scrutinized the latest documents from the Imperial investigations. Of the 150 Barons in the Empire, two-thirds were found guilty of conspiring against the Empire and either imprisoned or executed. He nodded once. God had clearly spoken. The Emperor had further strengthened the Aristocracy that remained to stave off a major rebellion, a wise move.

In the Emperor's hurry to choose a new Councillor, however, he'd played right into Leopoldo's hands. Giovanni Davide Bracelli's papers said he had been born in Genoa; in reality, he'd been born a little farther north -- Danzig, in fact. One of his tutors at the Monastery of the Teutonic Order, Johann David von Brecht had been looking for a way to help Leopoldo spread the Protestant faith throughout Tuscany. With the Emperor busy with the investigations, Leopoldo and von Brecht quietly spent funds to convert the populace of Florence. Soon, when the official religion of Florence became Protestant, the Emperor couldn't do anything about it. More importantly, however, he didn't want to, and since the official Court Theologian kept reassuring John I that Protestantism was no real threat to Tuscany, he didn't care either.

What neither Leopoldo or von Brecht knew was how far the Protestants were willing to go -- in fact, a mercenary hired by the priest that convinced John to hand Leopoldo over to the Teutonic Order had assassinated the Foreign Minister, and given a replica of the Baron of Palermo's ring to plant on the body. It was absolutely perfect, and knowing the Emperor, the priest knew he would become enraged at the news of the Baron's betrayal.

At the end of the day, for better or worse, Protestantism had invaded the Italian peninsula, and at the former capital -- Florence.
18 November 1520, a ceremony in Parma

The King of Parma was furious but there was little he could do. Agents of John I had spent plenty of gold, convincing his nobles to support the Emperor's proposal. More and more nobles began to see the wisdom of his proposal. The King cajoled, begged, and threatened, but to no avail.

chapter17november1520.jpg

What the Emperor of Tuscany could never have achieved through the war, thanks to power of Austria, he achieved through peace. The king of Parma was now the vassal of the Emperor of Tuscany. He supposed he should be grateful, since he still had a measure of autonomy in domestic relations, but only one truly independent kingdom remained in Italy -- Mantua.

He wondered how the Emperor would win them over.
2 June 1521, the Castle St. Maso

The Emperor's dream had finally been achieved; there were no longer any independent nations in Greece. They had all sworn eternal fealty to the Emperor.

First, the Emperor, authorized by the Senate, had declared war on Morea. Epirus was their ally, and the Emperor had hoped against hope that they would honor the alliance with Morea and not the one with Tuscany.

chapter17december1520.jpg

He got his wish. Again leading the Third Legion, he quickly vanquished the armies of Morea and Epirus. Epirus was the first to surrender.

chapter17may1521.jpg

The treaty with Epirus, dated May 1521

Morea had just signed their own treaty, and the Emperor felt like he was invincible now.

chapter17june1521.jpg

John I had one more thing to accomplish, in his view. He desperately wanted vindication for his war with the Ottoman Empire, but this time, he would be much more careful. His grand vision for the Empire of Tuscany was to eventually be powerful enough to reclaim the ancestral Italian lands under Austrian dominion, but for that to happen, he needed to be much more powerful than he was now. That meant going after the infidels, which Austria would actually encourage -- although none had answered the call, there was still a crusade against the Ottoman Empire.

There was one more thing that the Emperor needed before he could engage the Ottoman Empire. A new ally. A powerful, growing ally that would be a true partner for Tuscany. But where could he find such a partner?
21 December 1523, the Chancellor's office

With the death of Minister Bizzelli, Axel Gathenhielm had also been made Foreign Minister. As compensation, he'd been given the Duchy of Istria in addition to Sardinia. He hired very capable governors, so he could concentrate on the mission that Emperor John I had given him.

The constitution had been very ambivalent about foreign policy. In the event of war, the Senate (or the Council of War) had to approve most policy decisions, but there was nothing about negotiations in time of peace. The Emperor, convincingly, had argued that this meant that he had the power to do these without the approval of the Senate. The Senate formally amended the Constitution to clarify this; the amendment read as follows:

In time of peace, the Emperor is free to conduct foreign policy as he sees fit.

Now, most of the Senators thought that major treaties still needed the approval of the Senate and that the amendment implied this. The Emperor wanted to test the resolve of the Senate, to see if he could make his own decisions or not. He'd ordered Gathenhielm to have his agents look around Europe for a powerful new ally, sparing no expense. France was out; it had been beaten by Savoy recently, after all, and was not a proper partner for Tuscany. England, Austria, and Bohemia all firmly but politely said that alliances were impossible. This forced Gathenhielm to think more creatively, and in the end, despite chances being Unlikely and spending hundreds of ducats, he got the Emperor's alliance.

chapter17december1523.jpg

Muscovy was a powerful friend. There was virtually no conflict of interest between the two Empires; only the Ottoman lands bordering Muscovy, and Emperor John was perfectly willing to let Muscovy have those. The former Byzantine Empire had included Crimea; John I could care less. More importantly, Muscovy was huge, had a mighty army, and deep coffers. They might even help against Austria, if all else worked properly.

Emperor John I quickly signed the alliance, and sent it to the Senate for ratification, but already signed. This put the Senate in an uncomfortable position; either they signed it, and sanctioned his foreign policy powers, or they didn't, and made the Emperor look as if he would break his word, and thus maybe even result in war with Muscovy. Three Senators voted yes with no hesitation; Prince Leopoldo, Theologian von Brecht, and Tiberius Graecus, Duke of Constantinople. No real opposition was organized -- even Andreas Germanicus thought it was a great idea -- but Gathenhielm, in particular, was worried. The Emperor had gained a powerful area of influence with little or no Senate opposition.

What could this mean for the future?
It took me a lot longer to work this out than I thought, but I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. I think I've created plenty of foreshadowing for the future! There will be one update with John I; I'm purposefully not playing any farther than that.

Questions, comments, and concerns are always appreciated. Next update should be this weekend. Until then, enjoy! :)

Wow, it looks like there is going to be a lot of religious turmoil in the near future!

that was deep and involving ... so your new heir is being raised a protestant, your religious policy seems to vacilate between support for the Church and making it an arm of the state ... always good to see Byzantium being whacked around ... and hard to work out if you've made the right choice about the HRE -- but Austria is in any case going to be a permanent enemy till you defeat her.

Ah, the butterfly effect at it's finest. The bad eyesight of a Genoese merchant, a gust of wind which blew or did not blow - and the history of Christianity and Florence might be irreversibly changed :cool:

By the way 'opens champaign' Rodolfo was indeed the grandson of Gian Gastone Datti!!! :D

About protestantism, I was previously one of the supporters of switching religions, as the Tuscan Empire had a quarrel with the Pope, but now, as Maso was made a saint and for decades there weren't any hostilities, I am neutral on this subject, and just wonder how will you play out the heretical king's reign

Go PRO!
I always like to see alternatives..even if it always seems odd to see a PRO Castille or Austria and a Catholic Britian and Sweden...
or a Reformed Naples swallowing Italy and the Balkans. John I is more subtle now, vassals and moving against the Austrians...Muscowy might be a great help but they also might leave you high and dry...allies can be fickle like that, always about their interests.

Wow, it looks like there is going to be a lot of religious turmoil in the near future!

That's the plan! If the religious civil war event series fires, and Leo II is on the throne, all I can say is that there will be plenty of carnage.

that was deep and involving ... so your new heir is being raised a protestant, your religious policy seems to vacilate between support for the Church and making it an arm of the state ... always good to see Byzantium being whacked around ... and hard to work out if you've made the right choice about the HRE -- but Austria is in any case going to be a permanent enemy till you defeat her.

In a perfect world, I would entirely ignore Austria. I don't think this is a perfect world, however.

Please go for Protestantism. :p
Do not bow before the pope.

Ah, the butterfly effect at it's finest. The bad eyesight of a Genoese merchant, a gust of wind which blew or did not blow - and the history of Christianity and Florence might be irreversibly changed :cool:

By the way 'opens champaign' Rodolfo was indeed the grandson of Gian Gastone Datti!!! :D

About protestantism, I was previously one of the supporters of switching religions, as the Tuscan Empire had a quarrel with the Pope, but now, as Maso was made a saint and for decades there weren't any hostilities, I am neutral on this subject, and just wonder how will you play out the heretical king's reign

Go PRO!
I always like to see alternatives..even if it always seems odd to see a PRO Castille or Austria and a Catholic Britian and Sweden...
or a Reformed Naples swallowing Italy and the Balkans. John I is more subtle now, vassals and moving against the Austrians...Muscowy might be a great help but they also might leave you high and dry...allies can be fickle like that, always about their interests.

I don't know if I can call this a spoiler, because I haven't done it yet, but I think I fully intend to go Protestant as soon as I load up EU 3 again. The Rome bonus will be nice (I get that as a Protestant, right?) and the story has been leaning this way for quite some time, I think. In any event, the screenies are done for the next update, and I'm working on it now, which will get us fully caught up to my current state of gameplay.

Chapter 18: Vindication?

26 December 1523, the Castle St. Maso

Emperor John I carefully examined the map in front of him.

"Are you sure this is accurate?"

The spy nodded. "Yes, my Emperor. I copied it from the Sultan's palace wall."

"But something seems to be missing."

The spy shrugged. "It is an exact replica, your Imperial Majesty."

chapter18december1523.jpg

Emperor John frowned. "Did you forget to put down where the soldiers were?"

The spy shook his head. "I did not, your Majesty. It would appear that all the Ottoman soldiers are elsewhere at the moment. Maybe Africa? I didn't have time to get the two provinces in Africa."

All of a sudden, it dawned on Emperor John I. "It's a Christmas miracle! St. Maso himself has blessed this Empire!"

"Emperor, Christmas was yesterday."

"It was? Never mind then. Still, a unique opportunity. Send for a courier; we need to call together the Senate earlier than I anticipated. Please, continue to update me as you get more information."

"Your wish is my command, Emperor."

The spy bowed and left. John I was practically giddy; there was nothing standing between him and glorious vindication!
3 April 1524, the Imperial War Room

Emperor John I stretched before sitting back in his chair. The War Council was gathered; Marshal Alex del Moro, Chancellor (and Foreign Minister) Axel Gathenhielm, and Duke Tiberius Graecus. As John was going to lead the troops personally, he wanted to make sure his plan seemed feasible before leaving the government in the hands of the Marshal and the Chancellor. He'd already sent for Prince Leopoldo; this would be an excellent opportunity to get some valuable ruling experience.

The declaration of war two days earlier had been one of the easiest votes in Senate history; the moment they saw the map, they all voted "yes." John was pleased that the rest of the nobles saw his vision.

chapter18april1524.jpg

The official declaration of war, 1 April 1523

It had not been without some obstacles, however; at the news of war, a revolt occurred in Istria. Three Legions were sent to Constantinople; the Legio I 'Imperator' had to march overland through Austrian territory to get to Istria; it would probably take some days, but they would easily put down the rebellion. The Legio III 'Butterius' remained in Italy; there was always the chance that a crafty Turkish army could land while they were occupying lands in the Ottoman Empire.

The plan was simple; one Legion would advance into Edirne, the second into Burgas, and the third across the straits to Bithynia.

"Marshal, do you have the war report?"

"Right here, Emperor John."

chapter18april15242.jpg

John I frowned. "Where are all of those troops? Are they just Jalayirids?"

Alex del Moro shrugged. "You might be right, Emperor John. I just don't know. Perhaps the Ottomans are at war with somebody in Africa?"

"Perhaps, Marshal. Have we located the Ottoman fleet?"

"Yes, it appears to docked at Edirne; I can't tell whether or not the entire fleet is there, but my spies do report a collection of ships there."

"Order the fleet to block the straits. If the Ottomans want to engage our fleet, let them."

"Very well, your Imperial Majesty."

John I smiled. Nothing would stop him from claiming the Tuscan birthright. Nothing.
28 April 1524, the deck of the Settignano

The sailor grumbled and groaned -- not uncommon pastimes for any sailor, but this was a special circumstance.

He was now part of the Ottoman navy. He blamed the Admiral, Pietro Corsini, who was easily outmaneuvered by the Ottoman admiral, Temel Damat. Three of the Tuscan Empire's proudest Carracks, a galley, and a cog had been captured in the fight.

chapter18april15243.jpg

He'd heard that the Ottomans were brutal, that they whipped their sailors every day and every night, that they fed them the worst food, and that worst of all, there was no alcohol on board Turkish ships! Something to do with their religion, he'd heard. Personally, the sailor scoffed. What kind of true religion denied sailors the right to get plastered? It's the only thing that made life bearable, in his opinion.

Nonetheless, he was put on repair duty. Most of the rest of the crew had been released, except for the captain. The captain had insisted that the sailor be kept as part of the crew for the now Ottoman ship. Maybe I should have left his daughter alone. His wife was probably bad enough, thought the sailor.

He hoped that the Tuscan navy would score a victory soon, perhaps get him out of this nightmare.

No alcohol!
5 July 1524, the Imperial War Council

The war had been going splendidly. Although the Emperor was weirdly reluctant to siege fortresses -- why have the cannons if you weren't going to use them? -- there seemed little danger of an Ottoman attack. Not a single Turkish soldier was anywhere to be seen.

The Pope had blessed the war as part of the ongoing Crusade, and Muscovy pitched in 15 ducats a month in war subsidies, as well as occupying the northern Ottoman lands.
[Author's note: I categorically refuse to spell Muscovy with a "w", game be damned. Germans pronounce "w" as "v", not Russians.]

John I, while on campaign, had openly proclaimed Tuscany Defender of the Faith again, as a sign of his new-found confidence.

Then this call to arms came in.

chapter18july1524.jpg

Marshal del Moro looked stunned. "Why on Earth would a Catholic call us against other Catholics? The only country we've warned is Savoy."

Chancellor Gathenhielm went through his notes. "Ah, it looks like a new branch of Protestantism -- called the Reformed Faith -- spread out in Hesse; I wonder if Hesse started this war?"

del Moro was unconcerned. "In any case, I think only a fool would answer this; we aren't obligated to do so by any legal treaties, and while the Ottoman Empire is probably going to be a pushover, I don't relish fighting Austria and Bohemia."

Gathenhielm nodded. "Agreed."

Even Tiberius Graecus thought it was a good idea.

Prince Leopoldo looked angry. "But God himself is watching over Tuscany; surely we could defeat mere mortals like Austria and Bohemia? Why would God care about a bunch of Germans?"

All three men looked at each other. This religious war thing was getting a little out of hand. "Uh, Prince Leopoldo, your zeal is, uh, commendable, but we aren't suicidal," replied Marshal del Moro. "Isn't suicide a mortal sin anyway?"

Prince Leopoldo, although John I's grand-nephew, started looking very much like his grand-uncle. [1] A very wiry man, he nonetheless looked ready to strangle all three of the other men at the table. "I am your Prince, and second only to our august Emperor, John I. Do you dare defy me?"

Marshal del Moro was starting to get a little irritated himself. "The War Council makes decisions, not you, Prince Leopoldo. You are but one of four equal members of the Council, and have but one vote. The Constitution is binding on all Emperors and nobles, even Princes. If you do not like it, you are free to leave the Council chambers."

Leopoldo, increasingly angry, nonetheless sat back down and kept quiet.

Chancellor Gathenhielm formally denied the request of Poland and sent it with a note to the Emperor for signing. He left out, diplomatically, the altercation between Leopoldo and Alex; it didn't seem worth bothering the Emperor over that.
18 September 1524, the Camp of the Imperial Expeditionary Force, Edirne

With the former Greek city of Adrianople captured, the first Turkish province had fallen into Tuscan hands. John I recognized that, according to International Law, he could not demand a country's capital in a peace deal. However, the Ottoman Empire would be disorganized and more willing to discuss terms, when he was ready to discuss them, of course.

To help him counter the threat of the Ottoman navy, Marshal del Moro had ordered the construction of 7 new Caravels; a large ship with more guns and thicker hulls than the Carracks he currently had. It would take a year for them to finish, but once they were complete they would be the mightiest ships afloat.

A courier rode into camp, saluted the Emperor, and passed him a note.

To John I, Emperor of Tuscany, King of Milan, and Overlord of Ferrara, Modena, Parma, Byzantium, Epirus, and Morea

I figured out why the Ottoman Empire has no troops at home; they are supposedly in peace talks with Morocco, trying to secure a White Peace. I think they will succeed, and I predict that the treaty will be signed sometime in September; be on guard for Ottoman troops sailing back to Asia Minor.

Axel Gathenhielm, Duke of Istria and Sardinia and Chancellor of the Empire of Tuscany​

John I nodded. "Thank you, lad. This news was very important; in fact, I've heard rumors that the treaty could be signed today, but I didn't know which treaty. Return to Rome; here's some gold to help you on the journey home." He flipped ten ducats at the courier, who was thunderstruck; he'd never seen so much money! He thanked the Emperor profusely and mounted his horse and rode away.

John I had one major advantage; he had his entire fleet concentrated, so he could pounce on any expeditionary fleet. He'd heard rumors of a very small Ottoman force up north, but the Muscovites could deal with them -- it was only 3000 soldiers. Even blocking the straits was somewhat less important. He sent orders to the navy to be ready to launch at a moment's notice; they were currently still repairing from their humiliating defeat a few months ago. He also sent a note to Marshal del Moro, asking him to spur on construction of the new ships as quickly as he could. He silently cursed that he had no better admiral -- Pietro Corsini was only slightly better than no admiral at all; out of a possible six "pips" (must be some kind of naval term for start), he only had one in Shock.

Still, victory was all but assured. He only hoped the Russians wouldn't get too many Ottoman provinces.
17 December 1524, Imperial War Council

With Christmas fast approaching, Emperor John I gave command of the forces in the field to the Legionary commanders and returned home. He wanted to talk to his War Council, to see if they had any new strategies.

He'd already occupied Nis, Bulgaria, Edirne, Burgas, and Bursa. The Muscovites and Milanese were doing exceptionally well on the north coast of the Black Sea. Even Sweden had sent some troops; the Ottoman Empire would be badly hurt at the end of this war, and that thought made John smile all the more.

As he'd grown older, his once famous temper had begun to subside. He was fighting one of the very best kinds of wars -- the kind with virtually no casualties. A few minor wounds, mostly from attrition and disease, and a few lost ships, but even there, most of the crews were intact. It was certainly nothing like his first war with the Turk, that was for sure.

He was growing a little concerned with his heir, Prince Leopoldo. He seemed to spend an awful lot of time with that Theologian, whatever his name was. He'd heard gossip that the priest wasn't even from Genoa, but was actually German. He was puzzled as to why he would the man would hide his nationality, but he was growing worried over the Theologian's influence. He resolved to spend some time with young Leopoldo, and to make sure that the lad found a wife; the Datti line must continue.

When he got home, however, he found this petition lying on the table.

chapter18december1524.jpg

Seriously? The money they made now wasn't enough? Recognizing that this could cause a little unrest, John I had little doubt that the Empire was better off without wasting a sizable portion of tax revenue just so the Dukes of the Empire could have another 20 rooms on their palaces. He chuckled as he wrote "Petition declined: John I."
1 January 1525, the flagship of Classis I 'Byzantia'

Admiral Pietro Corsini was not of noble birth. This was no shock, as with the B-word being forbidden, very few people were. The only truly prolific noble, in terms of children, was Agrippa Tullius Cicero, who had no less than 11 acknowledged children. His oldest, Primus Tullius Cicero, was cut from the same cloth as his father, and already, at the age of 30, had six children of his own. There was no doubt that the Cicero family had zero chance of dying out.

Admiral Corsini, in fact, had been chosen as Admiral simply because he was the oldest sailor in the navy -- at 60, he was hoping to retire soon. He had no illusions of becoming a Duke; only Generals ever got that prestigious office. However, he wanted to become a Count, if he could. Being a Count was almost as good; sure, you had to serve in some governmental capacity, but you got a nice income and could pass your title to your children. He had no children, but did have some nephews -- his brother was a cartwright in Ancona -- and wanted to give them something more than simple work.

He finally had his first victory; a small portion of the Ottoman fleet had put to sea around Christmas day, and he'd struck with the entire Classis.

chapter18january1525.jpg

He'd only captured one ship -- the Tartar Ali, a cog -- but he'd saved a very grateful sailor that, almost immediately upon touching the deck, drank almost an entire cask of wine, as if he'd not had alcohol for a long time. Curious that. Regardless, Admiral Corsini knew that the Turks were not invincible, and he looked forward to more victories.
26 January 1525, Castle St. Moro

Leopoldo, Prince of the Empire and Duke of Florence, was already tired of married life and he'd been married for two months. He knew that marriage was an important part of God's plan for him and the Empire, and he knew he needed heirs, but his wife -- he never bothered to remember her name -- was constantly nagging him about this or that. He must have von Brecht talk to her; perhaps he could put the fear of God into her.

Emperor John was back in Rome, and had asked his grand-nephew to visit him in Rome, along with his new wife. Being a loyal subject of the Emperor, he could not refuse. As he entered the palace in Rome, he clucked his tongue. So much useless luxury. The Romans might have been the first to accept Christianity, but they still were very, very pagan. Humility and simplicity were the paths to righteousness.

John I saw Leopoldo enter with his wife, and at first was heartened to see him, until he saw Leopoldo's expression. Marriage clearly did not agree with him. Or maybe nothing agreed with him; he'd never once seen his Heir smile. Those monks in Danzig certainly sucked all the humor out of Leopoldo.

The war continued to go well, although that idiot Corsini had been beaten again.

chapter18january15253.jpg

Six galleys was hardly a devastating loss, but once again the Turks had command of the sea. He now expressly ordered Corsini not to engage the enemy until the new Caravels were finished. The Albanians had made a separate peace with the Turks, but that was no big deal; it was one less thing to bother with later on, and the peace wasn't too bad.

chapter18january15252.jpg

Even better, the Ottomans had sent their first peace offer -- a white peace, but the Turk now realized he couldn't win. He smiled when he turned it down. Now, if they were willing to cede territory, that could be something.
10 September 1525, Admiral Corsini's flagship

The Admiral breathed a sigh of relief. Those new Caravels were really something, and he had another victory to his credit.

chapter18september1525.jpg

He worried about the future of the fleet, however. A group of narrow-minded idiots insisted that the new research was wrong, and cost the Empire almost 200 ducats; a very foolish choice, in his opinion, since technology had proven so decisive in this most recent battle.

There had been a big victory on land on 30 May; however, this victory was over Bulgarian revolutionaries. Not a single Turk had so much as scratched a single Legionary. The Timurid Empire had begun to invade Turkish soil; this necessary reduced the amount of expansion in Anatolia, but no big deal; most of the best provinces were on the Black Sea anyway.

All he needed now was one more decisive victory; his record would be 3-2 then, and perhaps he'd get his patent of nobility.
16 May 1526, Constantinople

Tiberius Graecus was a very happy man. The Emperor had just left, and promised, in writing, that no new Duchies would be formed out of any Ottoman conquests. Instead, they would be added to his own Duchy. Even better, he'd heard he had a new grandson; his daughter, Sofia, had given birth. Still better, his grandson was going to be Emperor someday! Just because Leopoldo never remembered his wife's name didn't mean her father had somehow forgotten. He didn't approve of the name -- did the Dattis really need another Gian Gastone? -- but a Gypsy he'd paid to tell his fortune had very encouraging results. He would be far brighter than his father. She kept repeating the numbers "7/5/8", but he had no idea what that meant. [2]

Even the bizarre peace that Moscow had struck with the Turk couldn't dampen his spirits.

chapter18may1526.jpg

They'd held three or four Ottoman provinces, but didn't even take a single one -- very curious indeed. Still, that just meant more land for the Empire of Tuscany (and by extension, him). He had two other children, besides the new Princess Sofia -- both were given good Greek names, Demosthenes and Pericles, his two favorite heroes of Greek legend. With no forced Latinization any longer, he needn't worry about incurring the wrath of the Emperor. Both would make fine Dukes someday; his grandson could theoretically someday inherit both the Duchy and the Empire, but it was unlikely. Few kingdoms in Europe ever considered allowing inheritance through the female line, and the Empire of Tuscany was no exception.

He was sure that victory was only a matter of time.
23 December 1526, Constantinople

Emperor John I was both extremely happy and a little sad. He'd finally gotten his conquest of Turkish lands, adding some valuable provinces to the Empire of Tuscany, including Burgas. He produced the document claiming Burgas as ancestral Tuscan soil, and thus had it recognized as a core land throughout Europe.

chapter18december1526.jpg

However, he couldn't help but feel a little disappointed. He hadn't engaged a single Turkish soldier in battle. He'd put down two rebellions, the latest one Byzantine sponsored in Larissa. He'd never truly gotten his revenge. Still, the Empire of Tuscany now reached even Muslim lands. A couple more wars with the Turk and most of the old Byzantine Empire would be in Tuscan hands.

He considered further exploits, briefly. North Africa would probably be the next logical step after defeating the Turk once and for all. Maybe he should even expand into Gaul or Hispania; who knew what he could accomplish in his remaining years? He wasn't a young man, but he was no senile fool either. He was especially pleased with the newest Datti, who had been named after him -- young Gian Gastone looked to have a mighty Empire waiting for him when he was ready to inherit.
16 November 1527, the Castle St. Maso

As the new Emperor was crowned, Leo II considered the events of the past few months.

John I had gotten his wish, but probably not in the way he wanted -- a huge Turkish rebellion sprung up shortly after the victory in Bithynia. Nearly 25,000 Turks revolted against Tuscan rule, and John I had engaged them in battle twice.

chapter18may1527.jpg

The first victory over the rebels

Unfortunately for the Empire, John I was wounded severely in the second battle, and died of his wounds a few months later. A hero's death, and while the entire Empire mourned him, Leo II was in particular proud of his predecessor -- he'd died doing God's work, killing the heathen Turks.

Two other important events had occurred. First, the former Kingdom of Naples was officially recognized as core Tuscan territory. Second, scholars from the University of Rome had developed a way to make cannons small enough to be carried by the common soldier! Until he'd seen a demonstration, Leo II thought it was witchcraft, but once he was given to fire himself, he was very pleased. He would soon order these new firearms adopted throughout the Legions, as soon as the Turkish rebellion was extinguished once and for all.

He also had another major announcement planned after the Turkish rebellion was over, but he kept this one quiet, on the advice of the Theologian von Brecht. Not everybody would accept his decision; still, it had to be made. Tuscany was more than just an Empire; it was also the beacon of God's light to the world.

chapter18november1527.jpg

BTW, there was also a brief war between Denmark and Sweden that I got called into; I didn't bother to include the screenshots, because it was frankly pretty boring.

[1] I think I've got the proper relationship here. Gian Gastone Datti and John I were both sons of Julius the Great; that would make Rodolfo John I's nephew, and Leo II John I's grand-nephew.

[2] You do, of course. 7 ADM, 5 DIP, 8 MIL. Not a bad ruler, if I say so myself, and I should be able to finally pass the Militia Act with him! :D

I'll need to play some more before I can post again. I have no specific strategic goals with Leo II, other than converting to Protestantism. I'll probably need to add another Legion or two, to keep the peace in the former Ottoman lands. Part of me hopes that Leo II has a very short reign; perhaps his religious conviction will inspire him to lead the troops personally :) I'd like to avoid the regency, but 4/4/4 is not my idea of a great monarch.

I'm not going to play tonight, probably -- I'm working on an HOI 3 game and I'm still trying to figure out Darkest Hour. Plus, this way, you can give me comments, recommendations, questions, etc.

Are you going for the sound toll? only two provinces away.

It's funny how the New Roman Empire is going to be protestant, since very little of the old Roman territories got strongly affected by the Reformation.

But it gives some nice bonuses, IIRC?

It's good to see that Tuscany is reclaiming former land of the Roman Empire, especially at the hands of heathens. Also, you left the HRE, so no more Austria taking land from you. Converting to Protestantism should be easier as well. Now if only Milan had inherited. :)
By the way, the late Constantine is rolling in his grave at what you did to his homeland. :p

Are you going for the sound toll? only two provinces away.

Eventually, yes -- but the Turks will have to move their capital (or I have to annex the whole Empire), since Edirne is part of it.

War of the B-provinces? :p

Something like that :D

It's funny how the New Roman Empire is going to be protestant, since very little of the old Roman territories got strongly affected by the Reformation.

But it gives some nice bonuses, IIRC?

Code:
 protestant = {
		color = { 0 0 0.7 }
		allowed_conversion = {
			reformed
			catholic
			}
		province = {
			stability_cost = 30
		}
		country = {
			production_efficiency = 0.1
			global_tax_modifier = 0.1
			colonists =  0.5
			diplomats = 1
			missionaries = 0.2
			missionary_placement_chance = 0.05
			tolerance_heretic = 1
		}

heretic = { PENTECOSTAL PURITAN CONGREGATIONALIST }

date = 1517.10.31

Looks pretty good to me!

I really liked the loss and gain of ships as all that progressed ... glad your poor sailor only had to go through the cycle once ... & it seems the Turkish rebels were a bigger problem than the Turkish army had been

Much bigger. I still don't know for certain where most of the Ottoman Army was; one screen shot I have seems to indicate some in Alexandria, but I have no way of knowing how many.

It's good to see that Tuscany is reclaiming former land of the Roman Empire, especially at the hands of heathens. Also, you left the HRE, so no more Austria taking land from you. Converting to Protestantism should be easier as well. Now if only Milan had inherited. :)
By the way, the late Constantine is rolling in his grave at what you did to his homeland. :p

But they're part of the Roman Empire, right? That's what he wanted!