• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wouldn't they be lost among all comments made by others ?

its just easier to keep track of that way actually, because most people go through the last pages first to see the newest content

In the spring of 1940 the guardians of the Motherland were engaged in peaceful excercises along the frontier.

HoI3_3-1.jpg

HoI3_4-1.jpg

Then, without warning ....................

Betrayal! Stabbed in the back by the cold hand of Fascism!

HoI3_5-1-1.jpg

Our brave armies fight for the Motherland! Unite! Rally to the flag! The Motherland is calling you! Even now, the brave 8th and 23rd Armies struggle to hold open a corridor of survival in the battle for Sirventos.

HoI3_7-2.jpg

Addressing the concerns of the people, the Great Leader issued an announcement. "This war is not an ordinary war. It is the war of the entire Russian people. Not only to eliminate the danger hanging over our heads, but to aid all people groaning under the yoke of Fascism"

To those in the factories we urge you on to greater effort so that our young men can be provided with the best of armaments. To those in the fields we salute you as you feed and clothe our warriors. To those in harms way we beg you to hold on while our entire nation rallys to your aid.

Last edited:
In a communique issued in Russia by the Peoples Defense Directorate, an announcement was made that all trade agreements with Axis countries will be declared null and void. This is in direct response to the recent aggression by Japan in the Middle East.

Oh yes, quite dangerous. Going to definitely leave a mark.

June 1940

The front has collapsed as the enemy presses forward. Brave soldiers die in their trenches while awaiting orders that may never come.

HoI3_10-1-2.jpg

August 1940

General Vasilevskij directs the defense of Moscow even as the shells rain down upon his command bunker. His vision is to hold down as many of the enemy as he can while the rest of the Army prepares better defensive positions to the east.

HoI3_11-1.jpg

In a communique issued by the Peoples Defense Committee, it was learned that the Great Leader's entire staff was summarily executed for their traitorous behavior in the defense of the Motherland. New orders are being issued, and a new front is being established. If our brave comrades can hold on for another few months, we can still turn the tide.

Last edited:
Communique Imperial Japanese Government: Ministry of Foreign Affairs

"It is extremely unfortunate and disappointing that the Soviet government has decided to deny trade and thrown away decades of friendship with our glorious Empire as a result of our joint military training exercises conducted with the Persian government. Long advocates of peace, we look forward to a quick conclusion of hostilities between the Soviet and German peoples."

Last edited:
AAR #3
ITALIA

NEW POST JANUARY 14th
NORTH AMERICAN MP GAME

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?573357-North-America-Series-FTM/page1

FIGHTING FOR THE MED SUPREMACY: THE LION AGAINST THE ROMAN EAGLE
Il Popolo d’Italia
May-June 1940
“Wars reveal the inner nature of a Nation”, Benito Mussolini’s intimate confidence to Ciano, Vice-Governor of the Ethiopian Protectorate and of all African territories.

From May 31st 1940 to July 30th 1940, a fierce naval battle raged around Italia, the Italian fleet tried several times to hit the British fleet, as per the “Archimedes Claws Plan” designed by Admiral Domenico Cavagnari. This plan, whose details we won’t share yet (for obvious reasons), led to multiple battles and skirmishes in the Central Med. Intensive air fighting were reported throughout the period, and 4 naval battles were fought, 2 of them being lost by the Italian fleet.

June-July 1940 Major battles

[IMAGES REMOVED TO GAIN SOME SPACE FOR NEW AAR]

(1) Click on the picture to enlarge it.
(2) Pictures edited to mask some valuable information.

Naval Battle of Messine Straight, early June 1940

Aggressiveness by the British Admiral of the CAGs fleet didn’t pay off in early June, as the fleet was surprised, at sunset, by the Aeronautica Flottilla 4, in the Messine Strait. The Italian air squadron inflicted heavy damages to the British Fleet who was forced to retreat. Informed of Piacenttini’s success against the British Fleet, the Duce awarded the Air commander the Savoya Cross of Valor.

Venice Gulf Naval Battle, early June 1940

A fast flottilla detected the British CAGs fleet near Venice in early June 1940. The British fleet was apparently trying to catch an Italian transport fleet that did some military exercise in that zone in late May. Hoping to hit hard the British Fleet, Air Marshall Ciano ordered all NAV fleet to get in the air and intercept the British Fleet. It didn’t take time to the Aeronautica Flottilla 4 to find the Fleet and launched multiple waves of torpedoes against it. The British Fleet was caught off guard and had to retreat. During the fight, the whole Sommergibili Fleet 4 (2 subs) was sunk by Swordfish squadrons hunting for the Italian Fleet.

Dalmatian Sea Skirmish, mid-June 1940

Trying to keep the pressure on the British Fleet, Admiral Cavagnari ordered the Flottilla 5 to leave Taranto base and take an intercepting course against the British CAGs fleet. A very bad performance by the Italian fleet (disorganized fleet and hull penalties) transformed a near victory into a clear defeat. The Italian fleet retreated in the Ionian Sea, to join forces with the Regia Marina, waiting there for the British Fleet. During the battle, San Giorgio, the Pola and 3 DD were sunk, while the fleet failed to inflict any losses to the British CAGs fleet.

Ionian Sea Naval Battle, mid-June 1940

What was supposed to be a trap turned out to be a trap… but for the Italian hunter. Both Flottilla 5 and Regia Marina failed to locate the British Fleet before the Swordfish squadrons hit them, and hit them hard. Before any admirals could position its fleet, the Libia and the Corellia cruisers were sunk by British torpedoes, while a screening DD was also hit and sunk during the following night. Regia Marina retreated hastily into Taranto, while the Flottilla 5 was able to get around the British CAGs fleet and run away without any more harm.

Taranto British Port Attack, July 1940

Trying to build on its previous success against the Italian Fleet, the British sent multiple waves of NAV and CAGs on Taranto in July 1940, hoping to sink the remaining of Regia Marina. Stiff defense by the Aeronautica AOI, one of the proudest interceptors squadron of Italia, led by Lucchini, a young but brilliant Air commander, saved the fleet from further damages. The Regia Marina later escaped the trap, while the AOI, supported by the Aeronautica Flottilla 4, maintained the pressure on the British CAGs fleet nearby.

Cagliari Blitz Campaign, June-July 1940

In early June, the RAF started a strategic bombing campaign against Italia, Rome being its preferred target. Taking off from Cagliari airport, the RAF squadrons attacked Rome 5 days in a row, being repelled each time by Air Commander Pellegrini’s squadron, the famous Squadritti 7. Shocked by British actions, “A War Crime against a Nation”, were his words, our Beloved Leader, Il Duce, Benito Mussolini, asked Maresciallo dell'Aria (Marshal of the Air Force) Giuseppe Valle to design a proper counter attack. On July 2nd, Aeronautica Flottilla 3 & 4, led by Commanders Balbo and Piaccenttini, flew straight to Cagliari airfield, their bomb bay full of highly explosive torpedoes, designed to destroy runways. Cagliari nightmare was just beginning. “Total War requires Total War”, were Valle’s words. And as such, the Cagliari airfield was flattened by a 4-weeks air bombing campaign.

Tunis Gulf Air Blitz, late July 1940

Soon after the destruction of the Flottilla 4 [See Operation “Cartagine” report], the Aeronautica Flottilla 4 & 3 were ordered to hunt and sink the British CAGs fleet near Tunis. Multiple air fights took place; the British Fleet was damaged, while the El Italia Aria took very minor losses.

OPERATION “CARTAGINE”
Il Popolo d’Italia
July 16th 1940
“I know that many Italians are suffering, suffering from an unutterable ache, the African ache. To heal, Italians must go back to Africa. And we will go back”, was the main line of today’s address to the people by our Beloved leader, Benito Mussolini. “Ritorneremo! Ritorneremo!”, answered the Nation.

Mussolini, on the balcony of his hotel, on Piazza Venezia.

The “Cartagine Operation”

On March 29th, Marshall Balbo, Commando Superiore of all Italians troops, tabled a plan for the reconquest of the Italian North African territories. The devised plan is simple: take advantage of the absence of the Brits in Free French territory to land an entire army near Tunis, seize control of the Free French colony as its forces are minimal (for use it as rear base), secure key resources of the colony and then, launch an offensive against British troops stationed in Libya and Tripolitania. Supply would be provided by the Italian Naval Fleet, under the command of Admiral Denzi Amareti, and the Flottilla Navale 7 would be fully engaged in this operation. From start, everyone agreed that a quick action would prove the decisive factor in the success, or failure of the operation. Impressed by the boldness of that plan, our Beloved Leader approved the plan right away, thus reiterating his full confidence in Marshall Balbo.

The Battle of Tunis

On July 16th, the 1a Armata landed in Tunisia, securing within 2 days the main surroundings of Tunis and breaking the French garrison who quickly fled in the desert, leaving their post in the middle of the battle. General Nasi and its staff, among which is commander Gonzaga del Vodice, quickly agreed on the next step, e.g. seizeing the ports of Sousse and Gabes, and securing the resources located in the South-West part of Tunisia (Kassarine Pass’ metals and Constantine’s metals and rare). Orders were giving to the troops to move quickly, to beat the Brits who would clearly react to this whole offensive.

The Operation unfolded

The British counterattack

On July 20th, the Illustrious’ Fleet (4 CAGs and 4 DD) were able to intercept the Flottilla Navale 7 (1DD and 1 TRS) as it was entering the Gulf of Tunis. After a quick engagement, where the Flottilla Navale 7 almost succeeded in escaping toward the Sherks Strait, we finally lost contact with the whole Flottilla Navale 7 by the end of the day. Aggressive air support was provided by both the Flotilla Aeronautica 3 and 4, inflicting damages to the British CAGs fleet, but not enough to repel it and save the Flottilla Navale 7. On July 21st, the Tunis supply convoy was sunk by the British Fleet, thus cutting Italian supply lanes. From now on, Italia would have to rely on the 3a Squadron for its supply. Maresciallo dell'Aria (Marshal of the Air Force) Giuseppe Valle would assume, from now on, all responsibilities regarding the supply of the whole 1a Armata in Tunisia.

At the same time, British troops landed near Tripoli, beginning their march toward Tunis. About 6 divisions, among which a Free French light armor division, are on the way to repel the Italian invasion.

OPERATION “ZANZIBAR”
Il Popolo d’Italia
June 15th 1940
“Legionnaires, rise your emblems, your weapons and your heart to salute, after 15 centuries, the reappearance of the Roman Empire on the sacred soil of Roma”, said Benito Mussolini, in his address to the Italian people after the fall of Ethiopia. “From now on, the king of Italia, and his successors, will bear the title of Emperor of Ethiopia”.

After the conquest of Ethiopia, the Fascist Council devised a plan for the expansion of the Roman Empire in the East African coast. That plan, postponed due to the taking of Assab (Eritrea) by the French in December 1939, was reactivated during Spring 1940 at the express demand of our Beloved Leader, Benito Mussolini. Securing the African Horn and retaking Eritrea will, from now on, be a fascist priority.

NDLR: Taking into account the low infrastructure prevailing in the area, this 2 steps plan could be seen as being very ambitious. 1st, seizing of Mombasa and the whole old Zanzibar Empire (actual Kenya), combined with the taking of Djibouti, South Sudan and, of course, freeing Eritrea. The 2nd step, largely inspired by the (failed) Roman of the Arabic Peninsula, would encompass the sea invasion of Yemen and Oman.

Restoring the Italian Pride on the East African Coast

In early June 1940, the Italians were able to seize Mombasa (as reported by the 7a Divisioni Cirene), and in July, the 151 Divisioni Peruga took Berbera, on the Red Sea. In parallel, the Ethiopian Army increased the pressure on the Free French occupying Eritrea. The table is set for a major assault by the Ethiopians on the French.

NDLR: It will be interesting to see whether the AI can mount something once you ask him to do so… We could see the French were on the offensive in Italia in 1939, obviously answering a British call to arm against the Roman Empire. The low infrastructure level in most provinces will probably delay any advance by the Ethiopian army, the same could happen to the French entrenched over there.

Last edited:
Can you provide information concerning the ship losses?

According to ingame reports, I would say the Italian losses amount to:

about 10 Sommergibili
more or less 15 Torpediniere
more or less 15 Cruisers, light and heavy
couple of cargos

If we hadn't anticipated such high losses, the Italian Navy would have been crippled by now.

I'm still trying to asses how to effectively hit CAGs fleet in HoI3. I read numerous threads on the topic and most comments conclude that this aspect of the game is rather unbalanced. But, we have new strategies we plan to implement to get those CAGs out of the way. We will see if they work. The war ain't over yet.

Meanwhile the British navy have lost an insignificant amount of ships :D, just saying.

It is also interesting to note (correct me if I'm wrong), but no capital ships have been sunk at this point. I thought one or two Italian BBs went down, but perhaps not.

This isn't a surprise. Sinking capital ships is much harder in FTM. I'm sure we'll see more action when Japan and the USA enter the war.

Regarding the CAGs and carriers. Italy simply can't combat them in my opinion, without a significant amount of air power. It's unfortunate but against a human opponent Italy won't be able to win the day at sea. The UK just crushes them in theories and practicals. AND has a much larger fleet.

In spite of raising threat to USA, Italy's best option is to invade Yugoslovia at Danzig and go as far as they want. That plus early victories in North Africa are the only way for them to gain a reasonable footing in the Med.

Meanwhile the British navy have lost an insignificant amount of ships :D, just saying.

This is why I did not bother to report it... :eek:o

It is also interesting to note (correct me if I'm wrong), but no capital ships have been sunk at this point. I thought one or two Italian BBs went down, but perhaps not. This isn't a surprise. Sinking capital ships is much harder in FTM. I'm sure we'll see more action when Japan and the USA enter the war.

Right, no BBs sunk, from neither side. Nor CAGs... :angry:

Regarding the CAGs and carriers. Italy simply can't combat them in my opinion, without a significant amount of air power. It's unfortunate but against a human opponent Italy won't be able to win the day at sea. The UK just crushes them in theories and practicals. AND has a much larger fleet.

This line could have been written by Adolf Hitler in 1945... when he was still believing his own lies... :rofl:

More seriously, even if many think that FTM made it nearly impossible for the Italians to beat CAGs' Fleet, I still think its possible... I must also rather admit that I was not using my fleet the right way. I read a lot recently on how to use Fleet and discover a lot of things I didn't fully understood before... I guess I'm going to be a more challenging foe from now on. Tech tree I pick was the good one, even if a couple tweaks could have been added. It's more a matter of combining the different type of ships together. There were some nuances I'm now sizing better. Thanks to the game we played, and to my readings. We'll see in the upcoming months if I can turn the tide in favor of the Axis.

In spite of raising threat to USA, Italy's best option is to invade Yugoslovia at Danzig and go as far as they want. That plus early victories in North Africa are the only way for them to gain a reasonable footing in the Med.

Well... the plan was to go against Yugo early... but since you kick me out of Africa, I had to realign my priorities... for the moment... :blink:

I'm sure we'll see more action when Japan and the USA enter the war.

The Japanese government bristles at your suggestion that we have any intention of joining what appears to be yet another one of many times you Europeans try to kill each other wholesale. I would have thought your societies would be more civil towards each other after thousands of years of constant warfare.

The Americans have long been friends with the Japanese people, ever since the days of Commodore Perry. We do not forsee this relationship changing in the future.

It certainly would be in Germany's interest for Japan to stay out of the war.

Otherwise they'll have the combined and unstoppable powers of America and Great Britain marching through Berlin.

More seriously, even if many think that FTM made it nearly impossible for the Italians to beat CAGs' Fleet, I still think its possible... I must also rather admit that I was not using my fleet the right way. I read a lot recently on how to use Fleet and discover a lot of things I didn't fully understood before... I guess I'm going to be a more challenging foe from now on. Tech tree I pick was the good one, even if a couple tweaks could have been added. It's more a matter of combining the different type of ships together. There were some nuances I'm now sizing better. Thanks to the game we played, and to my readings. We'll see in the upcoming months if I can turn the tide in favor of the Axis.

Well it's just too easy for the UK player to invest so much in theories that they're incredibly powerful.

I'm not sure what other option a nation has against combating a carrier task force. Obviously the best option is one of their own, and Italy can't do that. Air power plus a very fast BC/HC fleet perhaps but it still doesn't really work. And in current makeup Britain has full capability to maintain air superiority with land based air all around the Med.

I'll also state that Britain hasn't needed to commit it's full naval might to the area. I don't mean to rub it in, but we haven't even sent in our most advanced carriers. Plus a huge BB fleet.

Italy has a tall order in the med, and they just can't do it.

Well to be fair, the whole goal of the Italians should not be to do it on their own, but rather to convince Germany to offer adequate resources to help them combat the British in every aspect of the Med. One of my favorite things to do is have Germany build the CAGs for Italy, and send them as expeditionary forces to the Italians, so that the Italians can invest their limited IC and reserach capacity into getting up carriers at a reasonable tech level in the pre war period without worrying about the added strain that CAGs would put to this tight budget. I think it would be inaccurate and foolish if the Italians could beat the british in the med without German assistance, and honestly, this game just turned out to be rather ahistorical so Italy had even more pressure on their shoulders. The fact is that when the British declared on the Italians unexepctedly, they were left with even less time to prepare, which is crucial for them to succeed. I think it was fair play, but this attack definitely threw me off kilter as Germany, as I did not have the time to divert resources to Italy, and thus Paglia was pretty much screwed.

To make a long story short, without significant "hand-holding" by the Germans, the Italians will never be successful alone in the med against anything but the most incompetent British players.

(...) Obviously the best option is one of their own, and Italy can't do that. Air power plus a very fast BC/HC fleet perhaps but it still doesn't really work. And in current makeup Britain has full capability to maintain air superiority with land based air all around the Med.

I'll also state that Britain hasn't needed to commit it's full naval might to the area. I don't mean to rub it in, but we haven't even sent in our most advanced carriers. Plus a huge BB fleet.

Italy has a tall order in the med, and they just can't do it.

We haven't seen the best ? You have air superiority ? You did not commmit everything you have in the Med ? :p
No surprise there... Unless you plan on loosing this war, you might need to commit something to protect those nice convoys of yours. Ho, btw, how are they doing, those convoys ? My Subs' captains are telling me there is no room left to allow all those gentle sailors to board in :p

More seriously, I still believe that Italia can do something quite interesting against the mighty UK and its CAGs and will prove it where it counts... e.g. on the battlefield. :)ninja:)

Well to be fair, the whole goal of the Italians should not be to do it on their own, but rather to convince Germany to offer adequate resources to help them combat the British in every aspect of the Med. (...)

To make a long story short, without significant "hand-holding" by the Germans, the Italians will never be successful alone in the med against anything but the most incompetent British players.

Historically, the Italians did a pretty nice mess when they joined the WWII on the Axis side. Italia declared against Greece but Germany conquered the Greeks... same goes for Africa as you have before and after the Afrika Korps... The Italian Fleet got beaten up in its own Tarento port... and they even sunk a large chunk of their own fleet in 1940 near Messine Strait when their air nav targeted them during 6 hours in a row (!) as a British Fleet before anyone could successfully tell them to stop. The game is just mirroring that and, I'd say, it's pretty much in line with my expectations. Italia is a second tier major power... like a super-Romania. If you don't fully undestand that, as an Italian, you'll be in trouble.

This said, and taking into account the fact, as you stated, that the UK's surprise attack caught me off guard and forced me to change so aspects of my gameplan, Italia is almost doing as I hoped it would do at this point in the game (minus lost territories outside mainland...:blush:). Once the game is over, I'll expand a little on this but so far, so good I'd say. Italia pretty much did what I intended it to do... and with minimal casualties so far... Losing DD and LC is not what I would call heavy losses... when you planned your game accordingly.

Don't worry my dear Churchill, you haven't seen the worst of it yet.