• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Despotism

Captain
41 Badges
Mar 24, 2019
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Age of Wonders
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
So the nomad agitation mechanic confuses me. I'm not sure why it was added, but from a gameplay standpoint it doesn't make sense to me. The nomad government type is easily the most powerful in the game by a longshot, with great succession, powerful armies (Their hordes can usually take on twice the amount of soldiers from other nations), the tribal call to arms mechanics that allows for massive vassal swarms (who also use horde armies by the way), as well as no end of powerful casus belli.

So my question is, why then, is this mechanic in place that makes it even harder to conquer and defeat nomads? This may just be part of the overall problem that nomads need a rework in general, but I still think nomad agitation should be given another look by the developers.

Granted, it is somewhat trivial to overcome at the kingdom and empire tier, but it takes an investment of time and money to deal with, and if you are a vassal, the death of your liege will result in that investment being lost. So, I'm not saying that this mechanic is too challenging to overcome, I am simply saying I believe it is unnecessary and it can make dealing with nomads (one of the most frustrating opponents you will face) even more obnoxious.

It was added to keep Byzantium from expanding into Ukraine. The empty steppe territory that nomads cherish is generally worthless for a settled ruler who prefers castles and farmlands. The AI needed the incentive to keep out of it until there's nowhere else to conquer.

It was added to keep Byzantium from expanding into Ukraine. The empty steppe territory that nomads cherish is generally worthless for a settled ruler who prefers castles and farmlands. The AI needed the incentive to keep out of it until there's nowhere else to conquer.

That makes sense, but I do wish you were at least given claims for land you lose this way. I was just playing as the Gothic Strategos of Cherson trying to form Crimea, and I was able to win a holy war only for the Basileus to die before I could convert any of the tribal holdings to a castle.

I guess I want a more reliable trigger for this, maybe after a certain number of years it will break away instead of when the top liege dies.

I think the greatest challenge to feudalization is having nomad lands in your realm. If you feudalize the nomad agitation won't be suppressed by the 2 upgrades on holding anymore and then you need around 500 gold to build a castle or city on each of the counties that have agitation. The fact that usually these nomad counties have no tech means they can't upgrade tribe to Stone Hillfort IV either.

It's a big problem if you don't have enough money to build the stuff before feudalizing so you need to deal with that before it if you don't want to lose the lands. If you don't have any previously nomad lands in your realm then you're good to go.

It has become so annoying (because mostly I like to play as tribal and feudalize later) that I started to turn horse lords off and conquer tribes instead, at least this way I don't have to spend so much to build those castles afterwards.