• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
wow

A few metro stations? Wow...this map is huge, do you have any idea how many stations and routes etc I've laid? The hours put in? The hours remaining?... and THAT'S your response? No I don't expect applause, but I don't think a "Nice work" or "Looking forward to this" is too much to expect. Maybe even input...man, wow amazing.

This looks like a very detailed map. I am looking forward to see it with buildings.

Thank you Giladteller. It will be as detailed as I can possibly make it. Being a Newyorker this is my premise for buying most transportation Sims. I love CIM but a like some of you and all of my friends in NYC who play (we actually work for MTA) we were a bit disappointed at the NYC map. After I lay all tracks, stations with names, test each line and make sure everything that's supposed to connect works; I will get started laying streets and buildings. I'm going to try and be as accurate as possible (laying streets and buildings) to the location of the station using help from birds eye shots and Google earth.

A few metro stations? Wow...this map is huge, do you have any idea how many stations and routes etc I've laid? The hours put in? The hours remaining?... and THAT'S your response? No I don't expect applause, but I don't think a "Nice work" or "Looking forward to this" is too much to expect. Maybe even input...man, wow amazing.

So you've finished working on this? Wow, amazing. I'm looking forward to the release!

I've been working on the map of Budapest for a long-long time...I'm fairly sure that it needed much more time than building a lot of metro lines...and i never expected anyone to be amazed or give any super-excited feedback on it. I've been building it for my own fun and just sharing the results from time to time if someone would be interested...
I don't want to disappoint you but creating the road network and placing all the buildings will be much more time consuming than placing the metro stations and lines...But keep up the good work, i'll be interested to see your progress. :)
Just don't expect others to get super-excited about it. :)

I've been working on the map of Budapest for a long-long time...I'm fairly sure that it needed much more time than building a lot of metro lines...and i never expected anyone to be amazed or give any super-excited feedback on it. I've been building it for my own fun and just sharing the results from time to time if someone would be interested...
I don't want to disappoint you but creating the road network and placing all the buildings will be much more time consuming than placing the metro stations and lines...But keep up the good work, i'll be interested to see your progress. :)
Just don't expect others to get super-excited about it. :)

Thanks for the support and kind words. Believe me, I've been into modeling (TSM-3D Canvad) and repainting for train Sims for many years and know I'm not half way there yet. I know the real challenge will begin when I start the streets ect. My only concern is resources. I haven't really explored the building options etc that this game offers, so I'm hoping it has a wide range of buildings etc to choose from. I know this game works of a time table and particular things are available at specific points, however I hope everything will be at my disposal in building/sandbox mode.

I'm not rushing this project, and like you I'm doing this for me and the few people I personally know. If it gains interest in the process, then maybe I'll upload it.

Thanks again!

well, surely all big CiM map projects will gain some interest from people. If you have the U.S. cities expansion, then i think the selection will be OK (But consider using the united world mod that allows you to use all buildings on one map).
So anyway in short: keep us updated. :)

... be careful, huge-maps bigger as 1280x1280 have a pathfinding-problem

What do you mean by that?

He meant that if you make maps larger than the original larger (XL) you won't be able to make lines in the outer parts of the map. Because the pathfinding system will get confused. I will suggest to make the map with less mods as possible. I almost broke my hard work map with mods. Make sure to test all the time while map editing. Its very important. I know from my 1 year work map Walden.

About the motivation you have to find it in yourself. Make the map for you. Otherwise you will give up quickly. Look at my map thread and you will see that more than half of the posts are mine. People do appreaciate your work but 1% comment. And the ones that doesn't appreaciate, 100% comment.

well, surely all big CiM map projects will gain some interest from people. If you have the U.S. cities expansion, then i think the selection will be OK (But consider using the united world mod that allows you to use all buildings on one map).
So anyway in short: keep us updated. :)

This is exactly what I wanted and wondered if they had. I will look for that mod when I get home. I wanted something that would open everything up. I was worried that I would have to open scripts and modify manually. Nice!

He meant that if you make maps larger than the original larger (XL) you won't be able to make lines in the outer parts of the map. Because the pathfinding system will get confused. I will suggest to make the map with less mods as possible. I almost broke my hard work map with mods. Make sure to test all the time while map editing. Its very important. I know from my 1 year work map Walden.

About the motivation you have to find it in yourself. Make the map for you. Otherwise you will give up quickly. Look at my map thread and you will see that more than half of the posts are mine. People do appreaciate your work but 1% comment. And the ones that doesn't appreaciate, 100% comment.

Thanks! And I agree. I'm surely making it for me and a few friends, however if its wanted after the fact, I'd share it. I appreciate your advice, and will take it. I'm going to read your thread and check your work when I get home tonight.

Thanks guys for your support and advice. This is my first map but not first time creating for a sim. Please let me know what you guys think.

Hard at work! Line update! Finished laying tracks on F line to Coney Island - I added the United World mod. Will see what I have avail when I finish the lines...I'm not even looking into that right now.

WOW doug, did you create the Walden map, laid the streets, buildings etc? HELLA'VA JOB!! I plan on having a detailed map like that...I know it will take a lot of time.
1 year huh? I hope it doesn't take me anymore than a couple of months to complete the first version. How long did it take you to complete your FIRST version?

556642_10200456659846005_2140525854_n.jpg

Current map! Land mass will be changing as need to be. Actual shape may be different for end result of project.

556432_10200456681246540_2054155797_n.jpg

Last edited:
I hope it doesn't take me anymore than a couple of months to complete the first version. How long did it take you to complete your FIRST version?
Dunno how much time you can dedicate to your map daily, but if you have an everyday job (not mentioning family also :D), then don't expect anything less than a year rather even more...

Dunno how much time you can dedicate to your map daily, but if you have an everyday job (not mentioning family also :D), then don't expect anything less than a year rather even more...

Well, I'd hate to be in beta stage for a year, and don't plan to be...however, who knows! I want to do a good job on it, so how ever long it takes, so be it. I do have a job, and family. I dedicate about 3 hours a day (about 5-6 on my day off) working on this. Not sure as to that being enough time because I haven't laid one building and not sure of the actual scale of thing. I guess I'll get a better picture in the on coming weeks.

Hey guys, as you probably seen in this thread > http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?606267-New-York-City < I'm working on a NEW New York City map. This map will have Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, The Bronx, and all Island around the city. Only a small piece of Staten Island and New Jersey will be in the map. For current info as of 1/30/13 check the above link. All future post will be made here.

Thanks!
:cool: